Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Heffer posted:

Love a good ketchup pie

Cranberry curd, they were a hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Heffer posted:

Love a good ketchup pie

its diwali chess

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Star Wars monopoly
Rastamonopoly
Edna Krabappoly

Costcopoly

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Do not pass GO. Do not collect hot dog.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Quiet Feet posted:

Do not pass GO. Do not collect hot dog.

But Monopoly Man, I am the 1/4 lb Plus Hot Dog and drink with free refill!

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Cranberry curd, they were a hit.

Did you top them with some whipped cream or meringue or something? Sounds like an amazing idea.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dick Fontaine posted:

stoked about this 3.99 pumpkin pie, but they’ve got me worried with these food court shenanigans

This is like the immigration scene in children of men

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

sock it to me! posted:

Did you top them with some whipped cream or meringue or something? Sounds like an amazing idea.

Omitted the whipped cream because I got asian parents that bitch about everything if it's too rich, too sweet, or too caramelized, or too any other thing they can think of, but I certainly did for me. Here's what they don't get that I do: I held back some of the extra curd after filling the tarts, and added it to whipping cream and some sugar. I'll have cranberry whipped cream for the rest of the month on top of those little mini pannetones they were selling at costco. The fools.

I made cranberry because thanksgiving, but I think next time it'll be lemon.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 26, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PokeJoe posted:

This is like the immigration scene in children of men

Bad form to photograph your fellow members without blurring them out. Photography isn't even allowed without prior Costco permission! This isn't People of Walmart damnit.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I've had a real poo poo experience with the appliance division and it's making me question my faith in church a bit. I ordered a washer/dryer set online to be delivered today (Saturday). It's a gas dryer which required a separate appointment to hook up on Monday.

Just before Thanksgiving I get a call from the delivery company saying that Saturday is a holiday (!?!!) so they won't deliver then, but they'll deliver on Monday. Fine, whatever. Friday night I get an email from Costco saying that my delivery is on for Saturday 10AM-noon and someone from the company will contact me that evening to confirm etc. Crickets. 10AM rolls around and I've still heard nothing, and their office number in the Costco email just goes to voicemail. 11AM, noon, same.

So I give up, assuming it was just an outdated automatic email from Costco and go run errands. 1:30 PM my phone rings and it's the delivery guys, parked out front asking where I am. I tell them don't leave, I'll be there in 15 minutes, and abandon a shopping cart in a side aisle at Target to haul rear end back. As I'm driving up the street I see them going the other way and try to flag them down, but of course they don't stop.

Just then someone from Costco calls to inform me the delivery company is running behind. No poo poo. I go back and forth on hold with her for the next 45 minutes as she tries unsuccessfully to get them to come back, and finally she gets the delivery rescheduled for Tuesday...but now the earliest available appointment to get the dryer hooked up is the middle of goddamned December.

It seems that Costco outsources appliance delivery and installation to third parties and some of them (like the one I'm dealing with) are just real clownshoes operations. The combination of price/warranty and all-included installation (which especially for gas dryers can be expensive and a lot of places will charge for the parts on top of it) seemed like an unbeatable combination but the hassle of dealing with their incompetent subcontractors is definitely a hidden tax.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Porfiriato posted:

So I give up, assuming it was just an outdated automatic email from Costco and go run errands.

Here's the exact point where you lost faith instead of trusting Costco Jesus to carry you through

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Those full cooked Turkey breasts are freakin' solid. Just as juicy and tasting like anything I'd roast myself while giving medium effort so worth every penny imho.

I've been having twice as many Turkey sandwiches as I normally have. I've been very satisfied and if there are any left on my next trip I may grab 2 for the freezer.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Porfiriato posted:

I've had a real poo poo experience with the appliance division and it's making me question my faith in church a bit. I ordered a washer/dryer set online to be delivered today (Saturday). It's a gas dryer which required a separate appointment to hook up on Monday.

Just before Thanksgiving I get a call from the delivery company saying that Saturday is a holiday (!?!!) so they won't deliver then, but they'll deliver on Monday. Fine, whatever. Friday night I get an email from Costco saying that my delivery is on for Saturday 10AM-noon and someone from the company will contact me that evening to confirm etc. Crickets. 10AM rolls around and I've still heard nothing, and their office number in the Costco email just goes to voicemail. 11AM, noon, same.

So I give up, assuming it was just an outdated automatic email from Costco and go run errands. 1:30 PM my phone rings and it's the delivery guys, parked out front asking where I am. I tell them don't leave, I'll be there in 15 minutes, and abandon a shopping cart in a side aisle at Target to haul rear end back. As I'm driving up the street I see them going the other way and try to flag them down, but of course they don't stop.

Just then someone from Costco calls to inform me the delivery company is running behind. No poo poo. I go back and forth on hold with her for the next 45 minutes as she tries unsuccessfully to get them to come back, and finally she gets the delivery rescheduled for Tuesday...but now the earliest available appointment to get the dryer hooked up is the middle of goddamned December.

It seems that Costco outsources appliance delivery and installation to third parties and some of them (like the one I'm dealing with) are just real clownshoes operations. The combination of price/warranty and all-included installation (which especially for gas dryers can be expensive and a lot of places will charge for the parts on top of it) seemed like an unbeatable combination but the hassle of dealing with their incompetent subcontractors is definitely a hidden tax.

That's how appliances are handled for every retail company. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself just have a reputable 3rd party you book yourself once the appliance is delivered. Costco isn't going to have a dedicated gas dryer or dishwasher installer.

Also I'm guessing the chill Black Friday Costco experience was very market specific because in Houston that poo poo was a mad house. Ended up at Sam's Club because of the superior Scan and Go app means quick shopping no matter the linea

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's how appliances are handled for every retail company. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself just have a reputable 3rd party you book yourself once the appliance is delivered. Costco isn't going to have a dedicated gas dryer or dishwasher installer.

Well yeah, this one is mostly on the delivery company, the installation is just a side casualty. If it was something else I'd handle it myself but I'm not really comfortable DIYing gas line stuff for obvious reasons. Seems like around here it's not possible to get a professional to come out for that for less than 3-4 bills plus parts which was why Costco's included installation was a nice bonus...

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Ended up at Sam's Club because of the superior Scan and Go app means quick shopping no matter the linea

I'm going to need to see the Forum Manager, right now.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

KakerMix posted:

You could always sous vide parts of it to get it gentle warmed, if you don't carve at the table people probably wouldn't even know.

This is what I did, heated at 145 in parts. Turkey was really good but it was so cured that it was basically ham. I liked it but I think my guests weren't the biggest fans.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Ended up at Sam's Club because of the superior Scan and Go app means quick shopping no matter the linea

pathetic

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
costco pumpkin pie cheesecake a holiday staple for me

way too much food for a family of four though, we made it through like 1/3 of it by today and froze the rest

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

CaptainCrunch posted:

Those full cooked Turkey breasts are freakin' solid. Just as juicy and tasting like anything I'd roast myself while giving medium effort so worth every penny imho.

I've been having twice as many Turkey sandwiches as I normally have. I've been very satisfied and if there are any left on my next trip I may grab 2 for the freezer.

Yup. My wife and I have been doing those for our two-person Thanksgiving for the last couple of years.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Picked up a ham yesterday because why not

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

I’ll have to try that next year, thanks for mentioning it. Sounds even easier than even those frozen “oven ready” ones in the foil bags.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

astral posted:

I’ll have to try that next year, thanks for mentioning it. Sounds even easier than even those frozen “oven ready” ones in the foil bags.

PBUC!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Brought a Costco apple pie to work for thanksgiving. Someone else had a similar idea with a sams club apple pie. Consensus for those that tried both was that the Costco pie was superior. Delicious tart apples with extra sugar baked in the upper crust to balance it. Excellent purchase.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buddychrist10 posted:

Brought a Costco apple pie to work for thanksgiving. Someone else had a similar idea with a sams club apple pie. Consensus for those that tried both was that the Costco pie was superior. Delicious tart apples with extra sugar baked in the upper crust to balance it. Excellent purchase.

Yeah someone brought one for us at work and it’s actually a good apple pie.

Would definitely get one and recommend it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

buddychrist10 posted:

I chop the pie up and freeze slices to keep them ready to go anytime I want some pie. They're real good.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Picked up a ham yesterday because why not

Hell yeah. Eat that ham and then use the bone to make beans, soup, or bean soup.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FishBowlRobot posted:

Hell yeah. Eat that ham and then use the bone to make beans, soup, or bean soup.

Hell yeah. I might go with one of the traditional recipes, but it seems like ham bones are underused in western cooking, so I'm wondering if I can do anything creative with it.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hell yeah. I might go with one of the traditional recipes, but it seems like ham bones are underused in western cooking, so I'm wondering if I can do anything creative with it.

:dafuq:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My grandmother is turning in her grave.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

for real though, if cooking with a ham bone is a new and magical thing you should get yourself some green peanuts and give them a good boil all together with that bone

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lol. No, I mean they're primarily used for beans and greens. We mostly use chicken and beef stock otherwise. I have actually not tried bones in my boiled peanuts though so I will definitely give that a try.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Gaius Marius posted:

My grandmother is turning in her grave.

Shouldn't have buried her with that rotisserie.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
This is the most first world problem poo poo ever but I dislike when you have a variety pack of something (I've noticed it with beer and topo chico) and they group all the same flavors inside a box inside the larger package. Not only does it seem like wasteful extra packaging, I like to grab one or two of each flavor and put them in the fridge. Seems antithetical to a sampler pack. Oh well.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

how much are Steam gift cards at the Costco?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Same question but Nintendo shop bucks?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Punkinhead posted:

Same question but Nintendo shop bucks?

$89.99 for 4x$25 pack
$179.99 for 4x$50 pack
$44.99 for 1x$50 DIGITAL DELIVERY

Wrex Ruckus posted:

how much are Steam gift cards at the Costco?

No Steam cards at Costco that I could find.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i might have to make a risky night run to costco... its usually a poo poo show after work. wish me luck the dogs need their kirkland food

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

topenga posted:

No Steam cards at Costco that I could find.

I would be impressed if you could buy discounted Steam cards from Costco, since you can buy physical hardware with Steam bucks like Deck and Index. I don't think there's any official venue to get them at a discount.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

thathonkey posted:

the dogs need their kirkland food

Is the main reason I ever even go to church!

Post your Nature's domain doggies!

sock it to me! fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Why the gently caress is costco always so busy.
We went today, and I genuinely saw 15+ old people at the hearing aid counter. It was like a little convention.