Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

you don't need to know the specifics of college football to under Crankshaft, it's just "old man mad that things change"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
lol at Pluggers having deep lore.

Also:

quote:

Characters

Most episodes of the comic focus on illustrating personality traits and aspects of the lifestyles of people who are identified as pluggers, and there are no continuing storylines. Consequently, the names and occupations of the anthropomorphic animal characters are rarely mentioned.
Recurring characters

Andy Bear is a father of three who works as a foreman and estimator at a construction company. He is married to Sheila Roo.[2]
Sheila Roo is an aerobics instructor from Australia and the wife of Andy Bear.[2]
Carl Rhinowski, a rhinoceros construction worker.[2]
Earl Houndstooth, a dog, is married to Henrietta Beak.[3]
Henrietta Beak, a hen, is married to Earl Houndstooth[3] who works at Costco.[4]
Doreen, who works at Costco with Henrietta.[4]

Past characters

Hamilton Ivory, an elephant and Andy's technophobic employer.[2]
Ginger, a canine café owner.[2]
Alan Litigator, a lawyer and alligator.[2]
Moose K. MacMoose III, a wealthy, retired moose.[2]
Dingo, a bear cub.[2]
DeeDee Doo, a hair stylist who, being a bird, actually has no hair of her own.[2]
Arthur Goldwyn, a salesman lion.[2]

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i refuse to believe that pluggers has canon or lore. you can't make me look at it

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hippocrass posted:

Also:
I'll be real: I like the fact that Pluggers has an actual factual cast of characters infinitely more than anything Kevin and Kell has ever done.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There are many regulars in the funny pages who could get body checked on their consistency as a writer by the Pluggers guy, lmao.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Which animal would you say that lady plugger is?

I always figured she was the Set animal.

Trash Goblin
Dec 19, 2020

I want to add to the chorus of people who are enjoying WAR, but one thing I want to add that I really like about it as how she simply seems to enjoy being a mom as another aspect of herself as a person. She isn't sugarcoating anything, but nor is it all about how rough being a parent is. She comes across as confident yet curious, and there's something empowering about that even without wanting kids of my own.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Schwarzwald posted:

I think the comic is telling a joke.
Jokes are supposed to be funny, something that FOOB has only the most tenuous of connections to.

And re: Retail:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I hope Josh catches fire.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

howe_sam posted:

The NCAA is still an exploitive crap sack organization, but at least athletes can now get a taste.

And the NIL deal is what's driving the uptick in transfer portal movement. With moderately increased agency, players are incentivized to go to schools where they can get a sweeter cut of booster dollars and/or get better media exposure if they think they've got a realistic shot at being drafted.

But in the end, all you need to know is this:

you broke my grill posted:

you don't need to know the specifics of college football to under Crankshaft, it's just "old man mad that things change"

(On Thanksgiving day, I watched a college basketball game with my family. Every 5 minutes the men aged 55+ would bemoan something like players taking two steps to lay down a posterizing dunk or - my dad's pet peeve - palming the ball on a dribble. All of these little changes make have improved the flow of the sport and make it more exciting to watch than when they played it 40 years ago, but to hear them tell it THEY'VE RUINED THE SANCTITY OF THE GAME, DAMMIT; IF I COULDA PLAYED SLOPPY BALL LIKE THIS WHEN I WAS YOUNG, I'D HAVE MADE IT TO THE PROS, FOR SURE.)

Hippocrass posted:

Also:

Oh I hate this revelation.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Trash Goblin posted:

I want to add to the chorus of people who are enjoying WAR, but one thing I want to add that I really like about it as how she simply seems to enjoy being a mom as another aspect of herself as a person. She isn't sugarcoating anything, but nor is it all about how rough being a parent is. She comes across as confident yet curious, and there's something empowering about that even without wanting kids of my own.

She's the anti FOOB mom.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (May 20-24, 2004)

Shelley's repeated deaths and what eventually happens to Erin and then is resolved in Bad Machinery era stuff are some of my favorite Scary Go Round bits. Guys... I'm starting to think the Winters family might be cursed...

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
haha holy poo poo, the '90s profile pic for the Kangaroo:

https://web.archive.org/web/19970208084918/http://www.pluggers.com/cast.html

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

LvK posted:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

LvK posted:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

LvK posted:

oh no

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

kidcoelacanth posted:

i refuse to believe that pluggers has canon or lore. you can't make me look at it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LvK posted:

I need some more Alan Litigator

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Man, I was about to make a joke about Bill Holbrook being an amateur compared to Pluggers having a placental/marsupial couple with three living children, but Holbrook or one of his wretched ilk probably has done a storyline about that, and also I feel deeply uncomfortable thinking too hard about it

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hippocrass posted:

Also:

LvK posted:

lol how does any of this exist when it's a daily panel based on mail-in gags from old people?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

The thing that bothers me about Luann is that Team Evans used Steph, who they introduced as Evil Tiffany and is meant to be seen as a bad person, to tell off Bets about how she's a terrible funhaver. It just says a lot about how much they hate Bets.

They have always hated Bets.

When she first showed up, Gunther was attracted to her because she's a woman who likes sci-fi and cosplay. For her what set him apart from all the other nerds was that he's good at sewing and could make costumes for her. (Oh no. She's using him! Isn't that selfish and bad?) Even worse, it was soon revealed that she is an influencer. (Oh no. That wasn't a thing in Greg and Karen's day. That's bad. She's bad. Bad for Gunther!) Granted, she has always had the genuinely bad habit of livestreaming private moments, often without warning Gunther that she was going to start. (These girls today and their fancy gizmos. You never see Luann with a fancy gizmo. Isn't she so good and Bets so bad?) Gunther's such a weenie, though, he never actually told Bets he wasn't cool with the surprise streams, so of course she assumed he was on the same page and continued, and we're all supposed to be pissed that she didn't read his mind. He seems to have eventually gotten used to it.

I really don't think Bets was supposed to last this long in the strip, but, like most Bad characters, she ended up being more interesting and relatable than the "good" cast. I think readers were supposed to be disgusted by her desire for fame (wanting to be famous is a Bad character flag in this strip) and want Gunther to dump her for Luann. But Luann sucks and nobody has ever wanted to experience the massive energy suck that would be Luanther except Greg.

I guess Team Evans finally came to terms with the fact that people like Bets, so if she's going to stick around they need to remove anything that made her interesting so that she's "worthy" of Gunther. Goodbye hopes and dreams and interests of her own. Hello "Gunther's girlfriend."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

lol how does any of this exist when it's a daily panel based on mail-in gags from old people?
The more I read, the more questions I have. Including this, from the "kinda long" list of "random favorite cartoons"(3 comics):

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Julet Esqu posted:

They have always hated Bets.

When she first showed up, Gunther was attracted to her because she's a woman who likes sci-fi and cosplay. For her what set him apart from all the other nerds was that he's good at sewing and could make costumes for her. (Oh no. She's using him! Isn't that selfish and bad?) Even worse, it was soon revealed that she is an influencer. (Oh no. That wasn't a thing in Greg and Karen's day. That's bad. She's bad. Bad for Gunther!) Granted, she has always had the genuinely bad habit of livestreaming private moments, often without warning Gunther that she was going to start. (These girls today and their fancy gizmos. You never see Luann with a fancy gizmo. Isn't she so good and Bets so bad?) Gunther's such a weenie, though, he never actually told Bets he wasn't cool with the surprise streams, so of course she assumed he was on the same page and continued, and we're all supposed to be pissed that she didn't read his mind. He seems to have eventually gotten used to it.

I really don't think Bets was supposed to last this long in the strip, but, like most Bad characters, she ended up being more interesting and relatable than the "good" cast. I think readers were supposed to be disgusted by her desire for fame (wanting to be famous is a Bad character flag in this strip) and want Gunther to dump her for Luann. But Luann sucks and nobody has ever wanted to experience the massive energy suck that would be Luanther except Greg.

I guess Team Evans finally came to terms with the fact that people like Bets, so if she's going to stick around they need to remove anything that made her interesting so that she's "worthy" of Gunther. Goodbye hopes and dreams and interests of her own. Hello "Gunther's girlfriend."
It's also dumb as hell because instead of just having Bets change her content up and pull back a little or give Gunther more privacy or travel around frequently but also coming back frequently to see Gunther, it sounds like they might be making her drop the whole thing entirely? From my limited understanding of it, 'content creation' can be a lot more grueling of a job than people expect and it's not uncommon for people to need breaks to get their heads on straight or even deciding to drop it if they can't handle the significant downsides to internet fame (especially if it's connected to their real name), but it's still a really sudden shift and the writers definitely don't get how such a job works, especially if Bets is successful enough to be actually making any sort of money from it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Women be bribin'.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Q-Rais just published a video on Youtube about a spaghetti demon that eats people (I didn't watch the version with English subtitles) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVyASy6ifWg

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 23, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Zippy The Pinhead

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Safety Dance posted:

Q-Rais just published a video on Youtube about a spaghetti demon that eats people (I didn't watch the version with English subtitles) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVyASy6ifWg

Oh, wow! He writes about making that here and there - he'd taken it down from the internet for a while. Thanks for the share!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've been rewatching MST3K and this Invention Exchange seems extremely relevant to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqKTtmybwYo&t=47s

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Wow Q-rais animation is great!

Sunday Val is pretty good and two weeks now I've appreciated these starry cats. Same for Horse, the best character in Footrot Flats. :3:

Jucika "404 - Jucika And The Ceremonious Announcement Of Results"

Same regarding brunettes vs blondes.

"405 - Jucika And The Rush Hour Interview"

D E S T R O Y E D

:laffo: I love this guy.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 26, 2023

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Billingsley, there are dozens of TV shows every October dedicated to people making that exact sort of thing, why do you constantly have people reacting with horror at what are basically normal requests?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

LvK posted:

It's like she fell out of that one Orangina commercial.

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

I love this comic

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 26, 2023

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Green Intern posted:

It's like she fell out of that one Orangina commercial.

I would guess Olivia Newton-John and the 'Physical' music video as the main inspiration for the character.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Oh no, he's one of those bakers!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I would guess Olivia Newton-John and the 'Physical' music video as the main inspiration for the character.

You're right, but my brain is poisoned by the internet so I can only think of French soft drink commercials.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the Pluggers character page has a lot cooler art (kangaroo is just doing her thing, don't judge. espe when we've seen worse from Holbrook), I wish that was in the main strip.

also I wanna see the gator.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Oh, Pluggers used to be by Jeff MacNelly (also known for political cartoons and Shoe) until 1997.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kennel posted:

Oh, Pluggers used to be by Jeff MacNelly (also known for political cartoons and Shoe) until 1997.

I should note that the current Pluggers artist, Rick McKee, is also a political cartoonist, and pretty hard right. At least he doesn't let it leak into his Pluggers work.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/25/03

Brenda Starr 2/24/52

Smokey Stover 3/23/58

Everyday Movies 12/31/36

"That man gave up his throne for the woman he loved, and YOU won't even go down to the corner for a loaf of bread!"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/23/42

Closer Than We Think! 3/23/58

I think we can give this one to Radebaugh. We do have flat-screen TVs and we can watch stuff from around the world on them, and we do have the "channel selector and picture controls ... in a small box" (that often gets lost between the couch cushions). Although most people don't have wall-to-wall sized TVs, nor do they watch them in weird square fishbowl rooms.

Bonus Ad! Al Capp sells out! And manages to get a plug in for his strip while he's doing it.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 26, 2023