Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and cool robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Eureka seven is really good actually, it just has the problem every mecha over 36 episodes has, it should have been 36 episodes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tabletops posted:

Eureka seven is really good actually, it just has the problem every mecha over 36 episodes has, it should have been 36 episodes.

I love Eureka Seven, but I'll be the first to admit most of the best parts are in the back half. It's worth the investment in the buildup, but it is an investment to get there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love Eureka Seven, but I'll be the first to admit most of the best parts are in the back half. It's worth the investment in the buildup, but it is an investment to get there.

Agreed. Its worth a look though but it needs time. To me its aged better than other stuff in the era at least and enough overall quality to make the boring bits easy to get past.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just finished Heavenly Delusion after seeing it recommended a lot online. For the most part I enjoyed it. Great animation, cool backdrops, and a neat world and premise that isn't yet another isekai.

But goddamn after that penultimate episode I need a palette cleanser. I hate that trope in anime so loving much.

I mostly watch dubs because my broken adhd brain needs to multitask, but I'm willing to watch subs. Spy x Family is a nice wholesome watch, but I'm waiting for the S2 dub to start. Any recommendations for recent stuff?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trigun Stampede has a good dub. JYB has honed his Vash so drat well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Awesome fanmade Medalist trailer I wanted to share that will bum me out when it's not the opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cv3vlylpYM

All in celebration of new details for the anime!

Link to VA info

https://x.com/medalist_PR/status/1714931555184132241?s=20

https://x.com/medalist_PR/status/1714930515080544513?s=20

https://x.com/medalist_PR/status/1714930005481050204?s=20

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm watching "Sing Yesterday for Me", a series from 2020 about relationship drama between people in their late teens to early 20s. It's a thoughtful series where things evolve slowly, but still enough to keep my attention. A lot of people being very persistent but not having their feelings reciprocated, which will hopefully change somewhat in the last few episodes so that at least one couple can be happy?
Edit: Finished it. Yeah, I think its a worthwhile show. Some very messed up people in this show, but relatable emotions.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 22, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ccs posted:

I'm watching "Sing Yesterday for Me", a series from 2020 about relationship drama between people in their late teens to early 20s. It's a thoughtful series where things evolve slowly, but still enough to keep my attention. A lot of people being very persistent but not having their feelings reciprocated, which will hopefully change somewhat in the last few episodes so that at least one couple can be happy?
Edit: Finished it. Yeah, I think its a worthwhile show. Some very messed up people in this show, but relatable emotions.

Scums Wish my dude

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best part of scum's wish is the scene where a character is wearing a hat that says scum's wish on it

its so hosed up that they never made this as merch

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Starting to watch Sonny Boy. 2 episodes in and I think this will be a good one.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ccs posted:

Starting to watch Sonny Boy. 2 episodes in and I think this will be a good one.

:hai:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Every episode of Sonny Boy I watch I think "is this show testing me? do I really want to watch the next one?" and a couple days pass and I go "well, I guess I'll see what happens next", repeat,

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Recently watched Memories, Robot Carnival and Neo-Tokyo. Are there any other good compilation movies worth watching?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sube posted:

Recently watched Memories, Robot Carnival and Neo-Tokyo. Are there any other good compilation movies worth watching?

The Animatrix
Genius Party
Short Peace
5cm per Second

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

The Animatrix
Genius Party
Short Peace
5cm per Second

5cm per second's not really much of an anthology, since it's all about the same character by the same director, I think. Might not scratch the same itch, good as it is. Genius Party Beyond might work, as might (if you're interested in something shorter than the average episode of Gundam Twilight Axis) Ani Kuri 15, 15 1 minute shorts. Shinkai's installment is excellent.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I've been watching 4:3 aspect ratio stuff and am looking for more — it seems like I like robots, ninjas, anthropomorphic animals and weird stuff in general (more stars in my list below means I liked it more). Any recommendations for other shows/OVAs I should check out?

Appleseed OVA
Black Magic
Cat Soup ★★
Cowboy Bebop ★
Dominion Tank Police
FLCL ★★
Gundress
Landlock
Neon Genesis Evangelion ★
New Dominion Tank Police
Ninja Scroll ★
Oruchiban Ebichu ★★
R.O.D. OVA ★
R.O.D the TV
Sailor Moon
Serial Experiments Lain ★
Tank Police

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Peteyfoot posted:

I've been watching 4:3 aspect ratio stuff and am looking for more — it seems like I like robots, ninjas, anthropomorphic animals and weird stuff in general (more stars in my list below means I liked it more). Any recommendations for other shows/OVAs I should check out?

Appleseed OVA
Black Magic
Cat Soup ★★
Cowboy Bebop ★
Dominion Tank Police
FLCL ★★
Gundress
Landlock
Neon Genesis Evangelion ★
New Dominion Tank Police
Ninja Scroll ★
Oruchiban Ebichu ★★
R.O.D. OVA ★
R.O.D the TV
Sailor Moon
Serial Experiments Lain ★
Tank Police

Gunbuster and Diebuster sound like good picks. By the director of Evangelion and FLCL, respectively (they also worked together on the Evangelion Rebuild movies) they're about teenage girls piloting giant robots to fight Space Monsters with the fate of humanity on the line.

You also might want to check out Patlabor. It's kind of a more grounded relative of Dominion, despite the giant robots, dinosaurs, and ghosts. There's also a lot available if you like it (four cour show with 16 episodes of OVA as followup, 3 movies, a live action show, a manga), but it started with a 7 episode OVA called "The Early Days" that has a little of everything, so you can get an idea if you want more pretty quick.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Gunbuster and Diebuster sound like good picks. By the director of Evangelion and FLCL, respectively (they also worked together on the Evangelion Rebuild movies) they're about teenage girls piloting giant robots to fight Space Monsters with the fate of humanity on the line.

You also might want to check out Patlabor. It's kind of a more grounded relative of Dominion, despite the giant robots, dinosaurs, and ghosts. There's also a lot available if you like it (four cour show with 16 episodes of OVA as followup, 3 movies, a live action show, a manga), but it started with a 7 episode OVA called "The Early Days" that has a little of everything, so you can get an idea if you want more pretty quick.

Great, this is excellent advice! I appreciate you posting this and will add these to my watchlist!

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Thanks, will take a look at these!

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I feel like watching anime again (something I'd mostly stopped doing for a number of years, with some exceptions) but I'm having some decision paralysis on what to watch.

Some recent-ish ones I've enjoyed are Mob Psycho 100, Dungeon Meshi (it's a manga but it's going to be an anime! It counts!), Megalobox (specifically season 2).

I was a pretty big JJBA fan for a while, and while I still enjoy it I've kind of cooled on the earlier parts.

I thought SSSS Gridman and Dynazenon were ok, with Dynazenon being the only show I watched in the last two years.

Some preferences:

While I generally don't watch typical slice of life shows, I'm willing to give one a try.

I'd prefer something relatively recent, from the last few years. I don't really have a good reason for this, I guess I just want to watch something somewhat relevant before I start going back for older stuff I've never watched like Cowboy Bebop.

At the moment I think I'd prefer something that has some humor, though it doesn't have to be the main focus.

I realize this is pretty vague and I apologize for that, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you liked Mob have you tried the first season of One Punch Man? Same author, spoof of superheroes.

Spy X Family is a good mix of comedy plus slice of life.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I knew I was forgetting one - I've actually watched season 1 of OPM already, and I'm even caught up on the webcomic (though not the manga, which I don't like as much). I've heard nothing good about season 2 so I didn't bother with that one.

Spy X Family is one I considered, though at the time I decided against it because someone I know has a lot of issues with it. They do have a lot of opinions I disagree with, but it still made me hesitant to try that one first. It seems their opinion isn't the popular one, so I'll add that one to the list.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Zinkraptor posted:

I realize this is pretty vague and I apologize for that, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

off the top of my head, Akiba Maid War was a really good sleeper hit from last fall season. a bizarre premise but past that is a great mix of action, drama, and satire. highly recommend

also Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, which while it has an occasional funny moment is mostly serious, but everyone should watch it so i'm recommending it regardless

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zinkraptor posted:

Spy X Family is one I considered, though at the time I decided against it because someone I know has a lot of issues with it. They do have a lot of opinions I disagree with, but it still made me hesitant to try that one first. It seems their opinion isn't the popular one, so I'll add that one to the list.

Just started it with my fiancé. Just a few eps in but it’s been cute and funny so far. Idk what their specific problem is. Not really fan servicey.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

Have you seen Odd Taxi? It sounds like it might be your speed. It's the story of a taxi driver getting wrapped up in a conspiracy involving multiple Yakuza factions, an idol group, two standup comics, and a gacha-addicted programmer.

Dialogue is snappy, plot is clever and intricate, and everything comes together at the end in a great way.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Zinkraptor posted:

Some preferences:

While I generally don't watch typical slice of life shows, I'm willing to give one a try.

I'd prefer something relatively recent, from the last few years. I don't really have a good reason for this, I guess I just want to watch something somewhat relevant before I start going back for older stuff I've never watched like Cowboy Bebop.

At the moment I think I'd prefer something that has some humor, though it doesn't have to be the main focus.

Oddtaxi, Hinamatsuri, Heaven's Design Team

Migi & Dali has also been a great comedy this season, it'll wrap up in December.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zinkraptor posted:

I feel like watching anime again (something I'd mostly stopped doing for a number of years, with some exceptions) but I'm having some decision paralysis on what to watch.

Some recent-ish ones I've enjoyed are Mob Psycho 100, Dungeon Meshi (it's a manga but it's going to be an anime! It counts!), Megalobox (specifically season 2).

I was a pretty big JJBA fan for a while, and while I still enjoy it I've kind of cooled on the earlier parts.

I thought SSSS Gridman and Dynazenon were ok, with Dynazenon being the only show I watched in the last two years.

Some preferences:

Go watch Nichijou.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go watch Nichijou.

correct response but that's also over ten years ago

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations! I think I’ll start with Oddtaxi - it seems like it had the vibe I’m looking for and I remember hearing about it a lot back when it was airing. I’ll look into the rest of these too, particularly cyberpunk and Nichijou, both of which I also remember hearing good things about (Nichijou also doesn’t look like the kind of thing I normally watch, so I want to give it a shot)

DamnGlitch posted:

Just started it with my fiancé. Just a few eps in but it’s been cute and funny so far. Idk what their specific problem is. Not really fan servicey.

I phrased that weird, they just a general dislike of the show. Not even a particularly strong dislike and nothing about it being offensive or anything like that. Reading my post again I accidentally made it sound more negative than I meant to.

Edit:

symbolic posted:

correct response but that's also over ten years ago

That’s true but I already said I’d watch it so now I’m committed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zinkraptor posted:

Some preferences:

If you want to give the SoL genre a try, and 2018 counts as "the last few years," I'd recommend Yuru Camp.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh, and just as a longshot (emphasis on long, since it's around 100 episodes in total), Attack on Titan just finished.

The anime improved enough on the manga ending that I'm comfortable calling it one of the greatest series of all time. The action is what everyone hyped it for initially, and it is very good (and the manga creator is a big MMA fan, so the fights have good fundamental grounding even as they go insane in scale.), but the characters develop from pretty basic foundations to have real depth (Erwin, Freckles, and Reiner are standouts), the music is first class, and the plot takes some amazing twists and turns that completely hold together in hindsight.

It's not everyone's thing (lots of people die very badly) but if you're remotely interested in post-apocalyptic giant monster vs ninja spider-man action, it might be worth a look.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Another recent entry into SoL comedy is Bocchi The Rock!
Keep your hands off Eizouken! is also p. solid

On the manga side, if you enjoyed Dungeon Meshi you might also like Witch Hat Atelier, Heterogeneous Linguistics or Soara and the Monster's House.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you should watch dorohedoro

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Zinkraptor posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen does a surprisingly good job of balancing comedy and serious moments if you want action instead of SoL.

The currently airing Dark Gathering is another, but instead of comedy and action its comedy and horror.

I recommend Konosuba to everyone if they havnt seen it.

Also

ninjewtsu posted:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ninjewtsu posted:

But then you have to live with it being unfinished :smith:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

RabidWeasel posted:

But then you have to live with it being unfinished :smith:

this is the only reason i didn't include it
(also because i feel like the anime misses a bit of the visual charm of the manga, i don't mind it being 3d but ya gotta give me that grimy, grungy linework)

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Dorohedoro is actually something I thought about watching back when it was airing, but I never got around to it. It won't be the first thing I watch, but I'll try to correct that mistake soon.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Another recent entry into SoL comedy is Bocchi The Rock!
Keep your hands off Eizouken! is also p. solid

On the manga side, if you enjoyed Dungeon Meshi you might also like Witch Hat Atelier, Heterogeneous Linguistics or Soara and the Monster's House.

Bocchi seems popular pretty much everywhere, so it seems like a good one to give a try soon. I'm also just now remembering that I did watch the first few episodes of Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken but never finished it, so that's also probably something I should get back to. I appreciate the manga suggestions too, as a lot of the manga I was following have ended and I haven't really started anything new since.

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, and just as a longshot (emphasis on long, since it's around 100 episodes in total), Attack on Titan just finished.

Attack on Titan is a bit too long for right now, I think, as nice as it would be to see the anime that inspired the hit vita game Freedom Wars

Thanks again for all the suggestions. It's a lot to choose from, but I'm glad to have a list that's a little more focused instead of just picking something based on what sounds popular lately. Now I just have to actually watch them.

Edit:

SexyBlindfold posted:

this is the only reason i didn't include it
(also because i feel like the anime misses a bit of the visual charm of the manga, i don't mind it being 3d but ya gotta give me that grimy, grungy linework)

I'm open to reading the manga as well, so maybe I'll just do that rather than watch an anime that will (apparently?) not be finished

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 26, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

Dorohedoro is actually something I thought about watching back when it was airing, but I never got around to it. It won't be the first thing I watch, but I'll try to correct that mistake soon.

Bocchi seems popular pretty much everywhere, so it seems like a good one to give a try soon. I'm also just now remembering that I did watch the first few episodes of Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken but never finished it, so that's also probably something I should get back to. I appreciate the manga suggestions too, as a lot of the manga I was following have ended and I haven't really started anything new since.

Bocchi's director is doing a show I'm pretty sure you'd love this season, too. Frieren: Beyond Journey's End is about a thousands of years old elvish mage and her life decades after defeating the Demon King. A lot of melancholy wandering, a lot of funny banter with her new companions, and occasional excellently animated bouts of magical violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'll give a second vote for Frieran. I've been really enjoying it so far.

It's one I've been recommending to friends that aren't normally into anime because it doesn't have a lot of the bad anime tropes like gratuitous fanservice.