Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

wish i could read the fukken study that's claiming this (newer variants being less likely to cause long covid), but the dogshit article doesn't link to it

there's just this

i guess on its face this is plausible? lower proportion of severe infections -> lower proportion of total covid cases leading to long covid

but how is that offset by almost everyone getting covid like twice a year forever? that seems like a more important factor to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

:wotwot:

Edit: the vaccine doses for VIPs were like 3 months after his treatment so guess I can’t claim this one

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 04:32 on Nov 26, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

corona familiar posted:

just got my moth shot today. feeling good.

also saw this: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/gabe-newell-ordered-to-make-in-person-deposition-for-valve-v-wolfire-games-lawsuit

cool that gabe still cares (or maybe it's a legal tactic) but lol at the mask instructions

not even his money could save him in the end ....

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol.

(I'm going to assume given the last sentence that the couple weren't as whiny as the headline suggested, but I refuse to read this clickbait)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol

sad

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I can't believe the entire nation of Japan selfishly conspired against the romantic joy of their honeymoon

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why would an event that lasted one year delay them by two years?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

mawarannahr posted:

not even his money could save him in the end ....

Honestly if there's anybody with enough pull to set a good precedent it's him. Also, reveal yourself gaben.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Platystemon posted:

Why would an event that lasted one year delay them by two years?

Japan was largely closed to foreign tourists until this year, unless my sense of time has completely broken.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Out of an abundance of caution, I will not be driving drunk with the lights off tonight.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

an owls casket posted:

Two things that crossed my mind today:

1) remember early on how people were like "hey, you should keep a journal about your experiences during the pandemic so that people can look back on it decades from now and remember what it was like"? How's that going for everyone? Good? I bet it's going good.

2) UW Medicine sure does seem to be sending a lot of emails to people about how to recognize the signs of a stroke. I'm sure that isn't anything that warrants any further thought whatsoever.

posting is my journal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shiroc posted:

Japan was largely closed to foreign tourists until this year, unless my sense of time has completely broken.

Why didn’t they listen to the science in mid‐2021?

Are they shut‐ins?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Levoits are good, slightly less brute forceful than a cube, slightly more convenient / aesthetic. I run two C300s and a c400 in my house.

customer service on one with a busted/whiney particulate sampler was "send us a video, we'll send you a replacement" and they did. Couple other goons have had less than stellar experience with QC/customer service but no complaints

My issue with Levoits is that I bought one before the pandemic and the sensors absolutely sucked. I can't remember hearing it increase the fan ever in sensor mode, and while it was advertised with an "up to six month" filter life based on usage patterns the "change filter" light goes on like clockwork every 45 days.

When I complained in a review they panicked and sent me an entire second unit. It had the exact same issue.

Bought a Coway when I moved apartments and I love the thing. It goes from quiet to Harrier Jet mode if I so much as spray an aerosol anywhere in the place.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Auto sensor mode is trash for covid anyway. Set it as high as you can stand the noise of. And the filters last at least a year if you vacuum them off every 6 months or so.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh yeah lol I personally don't give a poo poo about sensing anything. i want my purifiers to brutally punish every fart of air in my entire shop all the time. between the cellar and the customers I need active maximum hostility to particulates 10 hours a day.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

NeonPunk posted:

So I've been hearing how ERs is being filled up with patients with mycoplasma. Isn't that the same thing that's also responsible for the sudden spike in sick dogs as well?

I just saw someone come in with a PE after a mycoplasma infection. Kinda gnarly.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

NeonPunk posted:

So I've been hearing how ERs is being filled up with patients with mycoplasma. Isn't that the same thing that's also responsible for the sudden spike in sick dogs as well?

this letter published in the lancet back in 2022 seems diggity dang ol' prophetic if that's what it is:

quote:

These data show an ongoing scarcity of M pneumoniae globally. So where is it? The reopening of schools had little effect on the transmission of M pneumoniae in 2020, which is surprising because children are believed to be the main drivers of infection. Even more striking was the sustained suppression of M pneumoniae in 2021–22 after prolonged periods during which non-pharmaceutical interventions were relaxed or discontinued, while other pathogens resurged as an indicator of community transmission. Considering the slow generation time (6 h) and slow spread (1–3 week incubation period) of M pneumoniae, a longer time interval might be required for re-establishment within the population after the lifting of non-pharmaceutical interventions. We do not know when M pneumoniae will reappear; however, when it does, an exceptionally large wave of infections could occur as a result of reduced exposure, with a resulting increase in rare severe disease, extrapulmonary manifestations, or both. Continuous surveillance could help to alert to the resurgence of M pneumoniae.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(22)00190-2/fulltext

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Gravid Topiary posted:

this letter published in the lancet back in 2022 seems diggity dang ol' prophetic if that's what it is:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(22)00190-2/fulltext

quote:

large wave of infections could occur as a result of reduced exposure

I can't believe I'm gonna get m pneumoniae because I neglected to get m pneumoniae :argh:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
dang ive been racking up the mycoplasma debt for over 3 decades, im so hosed ...

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
my first science job outta high school involved heating up lab mouse poop for myco surveillance, if there’s a loving mycoplasma pandemic cause we as a species hosed up at covid so hard I’m going to crack ping once again

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

corona familiar posted:

Newell had asked for a remote deposition due to concerns regarding COVID. However, the court said Newell has presented "insubstantial evidence to suggest that he is at particularised risk of serious illness"

Did he try a picture

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Bastard Tetris posted:

my first science job outta high school involved heating up lab mouse poop for myco surveillance, if there’s a loving mycoplasma pandemic cause we as a species hosed up at covid so hard I’m going to crack ping once again

mouse poop vaporizers running in every classroom should take care of mycoplasma debt?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Vesi posted:

mouse poop vaporizers running in every classroom should take care of mycoplasma debt?

Thermocycling for amplification in tubes, didn’t want to inhale that 25 years ago and I’m not gonna start

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Generally speaking respiratory illnesses are being weird compared to normal, so I figure it might be interesting for everyone to see the Danish surveillance data of the whole gamut available for me to see. The graphs aren't all showing historic data, but I've added additional graphs when available:
COVID
New daily hospitalizations of COVID

RSV
New weekly hospitalizations

Note the initial post-lockdown wave happening earlier and then gradually shifting back to the historic norm.

Influenza A+B
New weekly hospitalizations (latest week incomplete)

Note the initial shift to later, the chaotic last year and the very early season this year.

Whooping Cough
New monthly cases

Note that number go up.

Mycoplasma Pneumoniae
Weekly cases and positive percentage

Note the current high is 417 and a positive percentage of 11.6. Unfortunately not integrated in historic data, hence the next graph.

Historical weekly cases and positive percentage

Note that the historic high in 2011 was ~650 and a positive percentage of ~20.

Strep A
Monthly cases per 100k; non-invasive and invasive

Note that the publishing of tracked data stopped end of July when it dipped below the historic high, after a mere 9 months surpassing it.

TL;DR: :crnasickos::denmark:

Edit: A brief note on weather, which I believe it might be a factor affecting diseases differently: last winter was extremely dry (as in air humidity) and warm. So far this fall has not been anywhere near as dry, yesterday being the first sub 20% at normal 23C indoor temperature.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 12:59 on Nov 26, 2023

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Bastard Tetris posted:

Thermocycling for amplification in tubes, didn’t want to inhale that 25 years ago and I’m not gonna start

live your life, you can't keep living in fear forever

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

maxwellhill posted:

happy anniversary to the 2019 military world games in wuhan

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Anyone find one of those little atomizer/mister things that worked well for them for mask testing? I bought one but the first time I plugged it in it looks like the battery puffed up and doesn't turn on.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

haha

yeah yesterday we got word that one of the guests for my inlaws' big thanksgiving has the flu but is coming anyway.

it's my wife's aunt's second husband lmao, the least-connected member of the family, and clearly demonstrating that fact by not giving a single poo poo about them. just disgusting. stay home you fuckin old dingbat. good thing we won't be there at all!!

In a shocking twist this "the flu" was and five days later still is covid. Aunt also has covid now.

Gunshow and Gunwife stays winning. Dumb fucko at least stayed in a separate room the entire time because he was that ill. but I'm guessing there's some secondary infections from his wife blooming into symptoms right about now

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
you fool. if you don’t get covid, you’ll get covid, you gotta get covid so you don’t get covid

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Some people say "give me the confidence of a mediocre white man", but as a mediocre white man, give me the confidence of someone declaring their illness is definitely not covid.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
in the time it took to type that post, additional relative sent a message with a positive test

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Dad came back from a thanksgiving trip and is coughing nonstop. Set an alarm a few days from now to see if he gave us covid.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

shazbot posted:

you fool. if you don’t get covid, you’ll get covid, you gotta get covid so you don’t get covid

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's true, I haven't gotten COVID since I last got COVID.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I'm still keeping up my journal, though it's part of my COVID strategy since journalling is great for stress and stress is really bad for immune systems. And I have so much stress these days.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Animal-Mother posted:

The Antarctic research station has moved on from The Thing. MacReady and friends are able to keep themselves safe. However, The Thing is still changing, killing, and biting dudes' arms off when they try to defibrillate a man...

The Nostromo has moved on from the facehugger. Kane and friends are able to keep themselves safe. However, the xenomorph is still changing, growing, and bursting out of chest cavities when they try to have brunch...

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Why do I have this bookmarked lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
7 days after first confirmed poz, im still pozzed. it's ok, i didnt have plans this week anyway

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Why do I have this bookmarked lol

You're really interested in Austria's poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
our school district hands out COVID tests ahead of all major holiday breaks, so the kids are taking their traditional thanksgiving tests right now

unfortunately what they give out are the intelliswab tests that have the swab on the test itself so you physically can't do a low and slow swab :(

oh well, just happy schools here are still trying to do at least some level of surveillance testing