Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wonder what is up with Phison after MaxLinear walked away from buying them. That seemed like a horrible plan to me, MaxLinear doesn’t seem the type to get into sub consumer grade ssd controllers.. they’re more kinda crappy enterprise stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I have an adata drive that doesn’t work with pcie passthough. So cheap drives are bad at server stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There aren’t any 4TB M.2 2230 drives yet, right? New Steam Deck on the way in a few weeks and I thought I might be able to put 4TB in it by now.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
derp, misread

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think the biggest are still 2TB but iirc Micron put out 2TB NAND parts last year and 2 of those would fit on a 2230.. but nothing yet on Crucial.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

There aren’t any 4TB M.2 2230 drives yet, right? New Steam Deck on the way in a few weeks and I thought I might be able to put 4TB in it by now.
Considering even making 4 TB 2280 seems too hard for some manufacturers... :v:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Does the 4TB Samsung 990 Pro have the same potential longevity bug the 1TB and 2TB ones do?

There's some pretty good deals on them right now but I can't seem to find solid info other than apparently there's currently no driver updates for the 4TB model. Wondering if it's worth just paying a bit more for the WD Black SN850X 4TB.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've got a Dell laptop that I'm decommissioning, and it's too old to have the in-built ATA Secure Erase (yes it's M.2 SATA mSATA not NVMe). Is there an NVMe-CLI equivalent for ATA, or am I stuck trying to get the manufacturer's tool to boot? The drive is two-factor BitLockered, so I could just clear the TPM, but the thing still works after nearly 10 years so I'm hoping to donate it to a local electronics reuse centre rather than send it for scrap.

I know diskpart will do it the hard way, but sequential overwrite of even that vintage of SSD seems needlessly tedious.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 28, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shumagorath posted:

I've got a Dell laptop that I'm decommissioning, and it's too old to have the in-built ATA Secure Erase (yes it's M.2 SATA not NVMe). Is there an NVMe-CLI equivalent for ATA, or am I stuck trying to get the manufacturer's tool to boot? The drive is two-factor BitLockered, so I could just clear the TPM, but the thing still works after nearly 10 years so I'm hoping to donate it to a local electronics reuse centre rather than send it for scrap.

I know diskpart will do it the hard way, but sequential overwrite of even that vintage of SSD seems needlessly tedious.

Yup, hdparm

Edit: though why would clearing the TPM be a cause for it to be scrapped? With a bitlockered drive, clear TPM -> format drive -> reinstall windows. Secure erase not needed because leftover data was encrypted by a key that no longer exists.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Does the 4TB Samsung 990 Pro have the same potential longevity bug the 1TB and 2TB ones do?

There's some pretty good deals on them right now but I can't seem to find solid info other than apparently there's currently no driver updates for the 4TB model. Wondering if it's worth just paying a bit more for the WD Black SN850X 4TB.

The current 3B2QJXD7 firmware for the 990 pro came out back in May, and the 4TB model didn't come out until last month. So all 4TB drives will have the newest firmware (and therefore not have updates).

AFAIK the 990 Pro problem wasn't that big a deal -- it was ticking down the wear-out number way too fast, but that was not real wear on the drive. Very annoying, but it wouldn't cause actual longevity problems.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 19, 2023

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I just ordered the 4TB SN850X for $20 less than the 990 Pro, FYI ($229 for the SN850X, $249 for the 990 Pro). Looking at pcpartpicker that seems to be the prices at most online retailers as of now. In the US, that is.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Klyith posted:

Yup, hdparm

Edit: though why would clearing the TPM be a cause for it to be scrapped? With a bitlockered drive, clear TPM -> format drive -> reinstall windows. Secure erase not needed because leftover data was encrypted by a key that no longer exists.
I meant as a courtesy of giving them a truly blank drive rather than something that wakes up asking for a recovery key because that's enough to secure my data.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

sirbeefalot posted:

I just ordered the 4TB SN850X for $20 less than the 990 Pro, FYI ($229 for the SN850X, $249 for the 990 Pro). Looking at pcpartpicker that seems to be the prices at most online retailers as of now. In the US, that is.

Opposite here in Canada it seems. The cheapest SN850X is $374 CAD and the cheapest 990 Pro is $340 CAD. Like the 990 Pro had great reviews it's just that weird firmware issue had me wary.

Especially since most posts on Reddit I can find from owners of the 4TB one say the installed and only available firmware is registering as the same revision as the problematic one, but Samsung support is claiming it's just a coincidence and it's actually a newer firmware which seems, iffy considering how much IIRC they danced around the original issue earlier this year.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 19, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shumagorath posted:

I meant as a courtesy of giving them a truly blank drive rather than something that wakes up asking for a recovery key because that's enough to secure my data.

That would be taken care of by a regular drive wipe / diskpart clean after clearing the TPM, wouldn't it? The bit that's asking for the recovery key is the windows bootloader, not the BIOS.

Regardless, a hdparm secure erase will accomplish the same thing, and if you're familiar with nvme-cli then is not much more difficult. Unless this laptop has the thing where getting the drive unfrozen is a PITA.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Klyith posted:

That would be taken care of by a regular drive wipe / diskpart clean after clearing the TPM, wouldn't it? The bit that's asking for the recovery key is the windows bootloader, not the BIOS.
I mean "I could clear the TPM and walk away knowing that my data was safe and the recipient would need to spend extra time doing what I should have done in the first place". Like... how many different ways should I say that wiping the drive is just the nice thing to do?

e: Anyway, I don't mean to split hairs over what ends up at the e-Goodwill. Thanks for the lead; going to give it a shot now.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 20, 2023

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I got a Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB off a deal and I'm probably picking it up tomorrow. My Windows 11 is currently installed on a WD Blue SN550 NVMe (500 gb). Should I bother reinstalling/moving the installation to the 990 Pro? I'm also moving the WD Blue to a PCIe 3 slot, while the Samsung will be on a PCIe 4. I know the 990 Pro by specs is 2-3x a jump I think but as far as I know that doesn't really directly translate into real life difference. I might end up doing the moving to another drive next year though since life is so hectic right now. Maybe on the off-chance the file explorer popping out of nowhere -bug gets fixed on a clean reinstall, supposedly the latest major patch was supposed to fix it but it keeps happening.

edit: I need to look into how to update the firmware on the 990 Pro asap, supposedly they're prone to brick without an update?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dessel posted:

I got a Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB off a deal and I'm probably picking it up tomorrow. My Windows 11 is currently installed on a WD Blue SN550 NVMe (500 gb). Should I bother reinstalling/moving the installation to the 990 Pro? I'm also moving the WD Blue to a PCIe 3 slot, while the Samsung will be on a PCIe 4. I know the 990 Pro by specs is 2-3x a jump I think but as far as I know that doesn't really directly translate into real life difference.

I would not bother at all. Even the things that do have some measurable performance boost from faster drives, you probably wouldn't be able to tell without pulling out a stopwatch.

The SN550 is already a gen 3 drive, so it's not getting any worse from the move. Throw your games on the new big fast drive.

Dessel posted:

edit: I need to look into how to update the firmware on the 990 Pro asap, supposedly they're prone to brick without an update?

The current 3B2QJXD7 firmware for the 990 pro came out back in May, and the manufacturers start shipping out drives with new firmware pretty much immediately. So unless you get one from the back of the shelf that's been sitting around for months, it'll be good out of the box.

You can check the firmware revision with crystaldisk, or with samsung magician. (I'd use crystaldisk since it's a small & useful app.)

You can update the firmware with samsung magician, or by making a bootable USB stick from the ISOs on their firmware page with rufus.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dessel posted:

I got a Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB off a deal and I'm probably picking it up tomorrow. My Windows 11 is currently installed on a WD Blue SN550 NVMe (500 gb). Should I bother reinstalling/moving the installation to the 990 Pro? I'm also moving the WD Blue to a PCIe 3 slot, while the Samsung will be on a PCIe 4. I know the 990 Pro by specs is 2-3x a jump I think but as far as I know that doesn't really directly translate into real life difference. I might end up doing the moving to another drive next year though since life is so hectic right now. Maybe on the off-chance the file explorer popping out of nowhere -bug gets fixed on a clean reinstall, supposedly the latest major patch was supposed to fix it but it keeps happening.

If you want to move the existing installation, I'd recommend flashing the 990 from bootable media (or from inside the current Windows installation if you need to). You can then clone the WD with either CloneZilla (or Macrium if CloneZilla fails to see one or more drives), then adjust the partitions with GParted. Depending on how funky your Windows install feels right now, you could just start fresh on the 990.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
FLUSH testing is probably something that needs to be taken in to account with recommendations, but there needs to be more models tested.

https://twitter.com/xenadu02/status/1495693475584557056

quote:

Fun story: I tested a random selection of four NVMe SSDs from four vendors. Half lose FLUSH’d data on power loss. That is the flush went to the drive, confirmed, success reported all the way back to userspace. Then I manually yanked the cable. Boom, data gone.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

For fun you can do this yourself with spdk, a quarch, and manually managing the queues yourself

MY PRODUCTS DIDNT HAVE THIS ISSUE!!!

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 22, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder if the failing drives all use the same controller

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

priznat posted:

I wonder if the failing drives all use the same controller

https://twitter.com/xenadu02/status/1496290369184874497

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

it doesn't sound like he's harvesting and verifying the queues which is absolutely needed to say the drive is losing data due to power loss. but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a miss by some controllers since power loss verification is hard and I suspect vendors focus more on the "kill power and make sure drive comes back alive" and less on the "verify the accepted transactions are flushed". the former is easy to blast away at with fio and a quarch, the later is more difficult to setup.

not sure if applies to client drives that have no cap, but technically if the controller can guarantee what's in the cache will be written to media during power loss (all enterprise drives), then it is considered non-volatile and flush command is a no-op

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 22, 2023

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'll post benchmarks when it arrives in three and a half months.

Alright here it is the hotly awaited year-over-year comparison of aliexpress'sesses cheapest 1TB 2.5 ssd being sold over the eleventy elevents week sale.

Last year was the 1TB sonnambulist which posted this:

This year its the 1 TB xRayDisc which shows a marked improvement over the sonnamby and easily takes the crown as the new king of $33ish cdn ssds.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

it doesn't sound like he's harvesting and verifying the queues which is absolutely needed to say the drive is losing data due to power loss. but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a miss by some controllers since power loss verification is hard and I suspect vendors focus more on the "kill power and make sure drive comes back alive" and less on the "verify the accepted transactions are flushed". the former is easy to blast away at with fio and a quarch, the later is more difficult to setup.

not sure if applies to client drives that have no cap, but technically if the controller can guarantee what's in the cache will be written to media during power loss (all enterprise drives), then it is considered non-volatile and flush command is a no-op

I wonder if a lot of the m.2 vendors are just hoping/assuming the majority of the drives will go into laptops anyway so a power cut is less likely with the internal battery.

Surprised the SK Hynix one was a problem one but I think that's a pretty bargain level drive so gotta compete with the phison junk.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Surprised the SK Hynix one was a problem one but I think that's a pretty bargain level drive so gotta compete with the phison junk.

Nah the P31 was, at time of release, a fairly premium drive and holds the title of "fastest gen 3 drive". (But it also came out very late in the gen 3 cycle, so it's not that

You may be thinking of the P41, which was the cheaper drive based on Intel QLC tech trading on the name of the previous gen, versus the good model being the P41 Platinum.

So I guess conclusion is, now we know why the P31 was so fast. And also, curious for someone to test the P41 Platinum and see if it has the same thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah yeah the P41 was the el cheapo. But still gold! Confusing branding imo.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm using a few of those 2TB Gold P31's :mad:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Canned Sunshine posted:

I'm using a few of those 2TB Gold P31's :mad:

I would lose exactly zero sleep about it.

1. How often do you have power loss / hard shutdown events?
2. How often will you be writing critical data at the moment of power loss, in a way such that the final write that went unflushed because the drive is cheating was the difference between good and bad outcomes?
(3. Is it even a real thing? One tweet thread with zero description of methods or rigor is not a conclusive case. Was this really testing the drive, or the OS / filesystem? I'd want independent confirmation by experts before really believing.)

Basically, if this is real I think it is bad. But it's bad in the way that video cards cheating on their drivers so that quake3.exe gets better performance than quack3.exe is. The badness is more about cheating the spec than the lottery-ticket odds that it will ever really make a difference. Consumer drives are already pretty meh about data integrity during a power loss.

And if you are still worried, I'd suggest that what you want is an enterprise drive with true power loss protection, not a slightly different consumer drive.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

And if you are still worried, I'd suggest that what you want is an enterprise drive with true power loss protection, not a slightly different consumer drive.

:agreed: there’s a lot that has to go wrong there in a specific timed sequence for you to lose important data. And if you slap the system on a UPS that’s a big mitigation right there.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I asked about a Kingston a few pages ago and got recommended better alternatives, but none of them were discounted for Black Interval of Time. This (different) Kingston does have a discount, however. For a few more hours.

https://www.komplett.no/product/1201391/datautstyr/lagring/harddiskerssd/ssd-m2/kingston-fury-renegade-pcie-m2-nvme-ssd-2tb

Still risky business, or could this one be good?

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I asked about a Kingston a few pages ago and got recommended better alternatives, but none of them were discounted for Black Interval of Time. This (different) Kingston does have a discount, however. For a few more hours.

https://www.komplett.no/product/1201391/datautstyr/lagring/harddiskerssd/ssd-m2/kingston-fury-renegade-pcie-m2-nvme-ssd-2tb

Still risky business, or could this one be good?

I'd say that more expensive Kingston is okay, cheaper ones I would think twice.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

makere posted:

I'd say that more expensive Kingston is okay, cheaper ones I would think twice.

Do you reckon this one falls into the "more expensive" category? Just for clarity.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Black Griffon posted:

Do you reckon this one falls into the "more expensive" category? Just for clarity.

Yeah, that's kingston's most premium drive. It's not super special -- bog standard phision e18 controller, performance a step below the top-tier gen4 drives like a 850X or P44 Pro -- but totally fine.

In the US they are overpriced, but that looks like a good price for the drive relative to norway prices.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Cool beans, going for it then. Thanks!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there any way to make things easier if I’m looking to pull the contents of a couple of drives onto a single one? Even if it’s fairly straightforward to pull anything from Steam across nowadays, I’ve realised there’s a ton of shortcuts to things and stuff like emulators with “d:\blah\things\discs” in their configs.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Kerbtree posted:

Is there any way to make things easier if I’m looking to pull the contents of a couple of drives onto a single one? Even if it’s fairly straightforward to pull anything from Steam across nowadays, I’ve realised there’s a ton of shortcuts to things and stuff like emulators with “d:\blah\things\discs” in their configs.

If there aren't better fix, the command 'subst' can be used to make a virtual D-drive.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
https://www.amazon.com/HP-FX900-Pro...C86&sr=1-2&th=1

(HP FX900 Pro 4TB @ $184.99)

Looks like it's got DRAM caching, a bit unclear about which controller it's using.

Worth considering at all?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Killer_B posted:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-FX900-Pro...C86&sr=1-2&th=1

(HP FX900 Pro 4TB @ $184.99)

Worth considering at all?

The "HP" branded SSDs are a little weird -- they're not really made by HP, but by some chinese company (BiWinTech) that did a name license deal. This means that warranty on retail drives is not done by the real HP, for example. HP does use them in their products though. So if you're looking for a major brand for extra reliability insurance, this isn't really that. I'd class them similar to Adata: not as good as the big 4, but better than the average chinesium.

But that's a good price for a 4TB TLC drive with decent gen4 performance. Everything else sub-$200 is QLC or awful.

Killer_B posted:

a bit unclear about which controller it's using.

the InnoGrit IG5236.

what, haven't you heard of the InnoGrit IG5236?

(ssd controllers are whatever, even realtek made a competent one)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
a surprising number of ssd reviews don't test sustained speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

where in the tier list is Team Group? paul is a big fan, which counts for something with me generally, but I don’t know much about them