Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zero VGS posted:

I've never had an issue except for occasionally when Firefox won't know to autofill something. But it is quick to get into the list of stored passwords in those occasions. My friend kept telling me to use LastPass up until they were hacked.

So the basic problem is, in firefox every saved password is keyed to a website address and you can't change the address. So when your bank goes through a merger or the power company changes from billing.powercompany.com to account.powercompany.com, you can't easily update the saved password. Multiple urls using the same identity is also impossible.

Secondly, firefox saved passwords are not locally secure* unless you use a master password, but that feature in firefox is pretty annoying because it has no timeout / grace period. Log in to 3 things in a row, type your password 3 times.

*ie, if someone can read your hard drive, they can read your passwords

And yeah, don't use lastpass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Elukka posted:

Fun fact you can take the video id from the url of a short and paste it in the place of a video id in a normal video's url and then you get it in regular video format.

I like how shorts are just a worse UI but TikTok is popular so YouTube wants to be like TikTok.

i like how tiktok exists because twiter hosed up vine

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Elukka posted:

Fun fact you can take the video id from the url of a short and paste it in the place of a video id in a normal video's url and then you get it in regular video format.

I like how shorts are just a worse UI but TikTok is popular so YouTube wants to be like TikTok.

I use a plugin. It can also block youtube shorts altogether.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-shorts-block/

It does exist for chrome too.

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA
I don't understand why you would bother using an ad blocker instead of invidious

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't use stuff I never heard of before

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

BV posted:

I don't understand why you would bother using an ad blocker instead of invidious

I ran my own invidious instance for a while (only me using it) and it was a hassle to keep up with since every few days google would jank it and I’d have to update the back end.

Ytsdl-sub with Jellyfin (works with Plex etc. as well) is my favorite solution so far. Just works. Quality is excellent. SponsorBlock baked in. Of course no ads. Google isn’t tracking me. There’s no “discovery” but I don’t care. It’s nice having copies of videos to do with as I please. I can watch on a flight or something without dealing with google pita.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

honestly i did think of setting up a script to download the videos from my subscribed channels like once a day or whatnot

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I've tried a private Invidious instance too but I never used it as I want my subscriptions, plus the recommendations on YouTube have actually been very mildly useful recently for what feels like the first time in years.

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA

atomicpile posted:

I ran my own invidious instance for a while (only me using it) and it was a hassle to keep up with since every few days google would jank it and I’d have to update the back end.

Ytsdl-sub with Jellyfin (works with Plex etc. as well) is my favorite solution so far. Just works. Quality is excellent. SponsorBlock baked in. Of course no ads. Google isn’t tracking me. There’s no “discovery” but I don’t care. It’s nice having copies of videos to do with as I please. I can watch on a flight or something without dealing with google pita.

Just use one here https://redirect.invidious.io

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Klyith posted:

So the basic problem is, in firefox every saved password is keyed to a website address and you can't change the address. So when your bank goes through a merger or the power company changes from billing.powercompany.com to account.powercompany.com, you can't easily update the saved password. Multiple urls using the same identity is also impossible.

Secondly, firefox saved passwords are not locally secure* unless you use a master password, but that feature in firefox is pretty annoying because it has no timeout / grace period. Log in to 3 things in a row, type your password 3 times.

*ie, if someone can read your hard drive, they can read your passwords

And yeah, don't use lastpass.

just lmfbo if you let a web browser save passwords for you

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

ded posted:

just lmfbo if you let a web browser save passwords for you

Lol why would I need anyone to save "Password1"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

TaurusTorus posted:

Lol why would I need anyone to save "Password1"

I forget if it's Password1 or PasswordOne sometimes, okay? :(

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
if u type in your password the site automatically censors it, look: *********

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

R.L. Stine posted:

if u type in your password the site automatically censors it, look: hunter2

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
no... NO

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Just switch to Firefox; it's not like you're being asked to install Linux, it's 99% the same as Chrome but not run by shitheads. On launch it imports your bookmarks/passwords and can sync them to a free account like Google does. The Windows and Android versions are both OK and are able the handle me having 999+ open tabs like God intended.

Honestly, installing Linux is a good idea. My YouTube tabs are eating way less memory than they did in Windows.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao remembering passwords. I don't even make them up anymore.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
ublock origin wasn't working for me on Firefox; I eventually worked out that it was conflicting with Ghostery and switched Ghostery off for Youtube. Now I'm back to my blissful ad-free Youtube browsing experience.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dont use Ghostery , they had their own moment of selling out and allowing some "verified" ads or trackers through.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is there a decent YouTube adblocking solution on iOS? I rarely use YouTube on mobile, but just now I went to check something on there and was served a 60-second ad on a 2 minute video, and that’s really the last straw for me.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Kestral posted:

Is there a decent YouTube adblocking solution on iOS? I rarely use YouTube on mobile, but just now I went to check something on there and was served a 60-second ad on a 2 minute video, and that’s really the last straw for me.

haven’t had a single issue in safari on ios or mac. not sure if it’s because of the extensions i was already using—wipr and vinegar—or if it’s because i use cloud identity for all of my personal google stuff. maybe work your way up that list and see how it goes?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kestral posted:

You won't get anything to work in the app, maybe the EU-mandated iOS sideloading law will open this up a bit.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Kestral posted:

Someone in this thread recommended the Vinegar extension for Safari so I’ve been using that and it seems to work well enough.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
They changed something last night to make the message appear when I'm running uBlock and AdNauesum at the same time. Turning off AdNauseum and leaving uBlock enabled fixes it, and turning AdNauseum back on breaks it.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Zero VGS posted:

They changed something last night to make the message appear when I'm running uBlock and AdNauesum at the same time. Turning off AdNauseum and leaving uBlock enabled fixes it, and turning AdNauseum back on breaks it.

I dont think you are supposed to run those together iirc

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

AutismVaccine posted:

Isn't that like running two antivirus programs at the same time?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

doctorfrog posted:

a) this is everyone (gently caress you, you need to buy gas/eggs/milk anyway)
b) they're right, most users people will endure anything to use product

Pretty much every sufficiently large company seems to have chosen now as the perfect time to hold their customers to ransom.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AutismVaccine posted:

Yeah I know it whines about it, but even though AdNauseam claims to use the same database as uBlock it misses ads that uBlock catches.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

It's cheaper than Hulu and I use it more so *shrug*

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Kestral posted:

I don't know if I've just been lucky, but I've been using the duckduckgo browser just for youtube and it seems to be working so far.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
This thread has lots of various solutions listed in it, with various levels of effort-to-effectiveness, but I'm a lazy goon who can't be bothered to pick through them. Has anyone compiled a handy list?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Microplastics posted:

This thread has lots of various solutions listed in it, with various levels of effort-to-effectiveness, but I'm a lazy goon who can't be bothered to pick through them. Has anyone compiled a handy list?

sure thing buddy, here’s that list for you:
  • don’t use chrome

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Microplastics posted:

Here's the list:
1. get Firefox
2. install ublock origin
3. if youtube gives you poo poo about adblock, do this:

Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Klyith posted:

Here's the list:
1. get Firefox
2. install ublock origin
3. if youtube gives you poo poo about adblock, do this:

Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

Can confirm this works.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
My girlfriend and I use the TV app for things like RLM videos so we can both watch the same feed at the same tine without needing to synch up our computers, and we have noticed the interface has changed in the last week, with ads popping up more frequently and taking much longer before we are allowed to hit "skip." They're getting really goddamn egregious with their ads and I don't intend to use the app going forward.

Christ, they've gotten so loving brazen with this. I wish we had more realistic options for large scale internet media.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
What OS does your TV use?

Edit: long story short, If it's android based you can install smart tube beta. If it isn't, the fire tv stick 4k is currently 50% off at 24.99.

https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTube

scroll down for install instructions. I see no reason why you shouldn't use the easiest option.

I double checked before I posted this to make sure it was still blocking ads and it is. as a bonus it also has sponsor block. How long will it work? Beats me.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 4, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, using YouTube on something like Roku is completely unwatchable now. It's almost like they want the service to die. I've noticed a lot of the other streaming services are all trying to move to "ad supported" offerings and raising the no-ads to higher and higher prices hoping people will watch with ads. I'd rather watch paint dry than a single ad, so...

FreeTube app on PC still works good, tho.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 4, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yeah when Hulu went ad supported, and didn't instantly die, over a decade ago the writing was on the wall.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My roommates have been watching TV in living lately and everytime I catch a glimpse it's on ads. Last night saw one that was an ad, but around it was a graphical wrapper of another ad, with a another section that was delivering trivia as an advertisement for a third thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Within the last few days, they changed the "timer" that ticks down when you're watching an ad. It no longer tells you how long the ad is--it just says "90+" and you have to guess the length based on the clock, like I kind of remember Hulu being like. Cool!

Joke's on them. I was gonna watch that 3 minute ad for the new Fallout show regardless. :smuggo: