Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tarlibone posted:

This may sound like a silly question, but I'm curious: for those of you who cycle in street clothes (like when running errands or commuting), if you're on a bike without a chainring or chain guard of some kind, what are you doing to keep your right pant leg away from the chain? I usually either tight-roll that pant leg or stuff it into my sock, whichever works best for whatever I'm wearing, but I wonder how some of y'all deal with it.

nathan (and others) make reflective bands that you can wear on your ankle/calf to keep your pant leg out of the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All of my jeans have a dark greasy spot right where the chain ring goes

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I just do what google is apparenty calling a "pinroll" with my jeans. Fold it over so it's tight then roll it up so it holds.

Quote the article I just found...
Initially called pegging, what we now know as pin rolling became very popular in the early 1950s with working class boys

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 26, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

tarlibone posted:

This may sound like a silly question, but I'm curious: for those of you who cycle in street clothes (like when running errands or commuting), if you're on a bike without a chainring or chain guard of some kind, what are you doing to keep your right pant leg away from the chain? I usually either tight-roll that pant leg or stuff it into my sock, whichever works best for whatever I'm wearing, but I wonder how some of y'all deal with it.
Just go full goblin mode and wear tapered joggers

edit:

Nettle Soup posted:

Initially called pegging, what we now know as pin rolling became very popular in the early 1950s with working class boys
lol

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 26, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the problem with tapered joggers is in the middle of winter youre gonna have some fuckin cold ankles cuz even the thickest wool socks arent really made to be exposed directly to air. speaking from experience :negative:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

i couldn't find the refurb/new garmin deals from places i actually trusted so i went ahead and pulled the trigger on the wahoo, will report back on if it's any good or not

biketiresdirect is legit, should have gone with the garmin deal on there

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

biketiresdirect is legit, should have gone with the garmin deal on there

the deal didn't show up for me on https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/garmin-gps :shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

You have to sign in to see it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

I just do what google is apparenty calling a "pinroll" with my jeans. Fold it over so it's tight then roll it up so it holds.

We called that "tight rolling" in the early 90s when the "preppy look" was in full swing. That's how you were expected to handle your black dress slacks so that you could expose the fancy socks you were wearing. You held the pants up with one of those leather web belts, and it was partially hidden by the cardigan you had over your mock turtleneck shirt.

(The 1990s only looked good because it came after the 1980s.)

Nettle Soup posted:

Chef's kiss.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Lol

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is the REI Novara brand legit? I bought a Novara Tractor 24" for my kid, couldn't pass it up for $65 on Facebook Marketplace. Previous owner had it for 3 years, but I'm guessing it's 7-8 years old based on when REI switched their brand to Co-op Cycles. Only ridden a few times, garage kept, no rust or scratches. Full tire tread, full brake pads. Just needs a once over, but it stops and goes and shifts.

Any risk on tires this old even with good tread?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Pretty much that, roll the right cuff up. Still get a grease spot sometimes but it'll be on the inside surface not the outside. Fine down to 20F at least for short rides with some thick crew socks.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

FogHelmut posted:

Is the REI Novara brand legit? I bought a Novara Tractor 24" for my kid, couldn't pass it up for $65 on Facebook Marketplace. Previous owner had it for 3 years, but I'm guessing it's 7-8 years old based on when REI switched their brand to Co-op Cycles. Only ridden a few times, garage kept, no rust or scratches. Full tire tread, full brake pads. Just needs a once over, but it stops and goes and shifts.

Any risk on tires this old even with good tread?

From what I remember, novara bikes were decent enough low-end bicycles. Their sub-$1k mountain bikes were, at least. I'm not really familiar with their kids bikes but almost certainly a good deal at $65. Check the tires for cracks or hard/crumbly rubber and get new ones if they look lovely. I wouldn't say those are old enough to replace purely due to age if they look OK but some people might.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is this site legit for buying drivetrain parts/groups?

https://www.eurobikeparts.com/products.php?cat=Shimano

They're legit, but Merlin is way cheaper than this.

Ultegra R8170 groupset:
EuroBikeParts = $2,049.95
Merlin Cycles = $1,443.70

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 27, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

FogHelmut posted:

Is the REI Novara brand legit? I bought a Novara Tractor 24" for my kid, couldn't pass it up for $65 on Facebook Marketplace. Previous owner had it for 3 years, but I'm guessing it's 7-8 years old based on when REI switched their brand to Co-op Cycles.

I think they were always price competitive for the spec. Looking at the 2015 model, those components are cheap but not worse than what other kids' bikes tend to have.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

tarlibone posted:

Theoretical answer: I use a strap like this
Real answer: I forget to bring the strap and get stains on my trousers.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I did a 300km overnight Audax this weekend, Moonrakers and Sunseekers. We started at 10pm from Bristol, hit 6 controls on route while passing through Salisbury, Poole, Cheddar, Glastonbury and back to Bristol just before the sun set again the next day.

https://www.pedalution.co.uk/events/moonrakers-sunseekers-300/#details

I’ve done rides this long before, but riding that long at night, and in what turned out to be shockingly cold conditions was a big challenge, and ice was a bit of a concern. Thankfully there were four of us from my cycling club signed up for this one and we’d already agreed to roll round together.

The forecast had a low of -2c overnight, with ‘feels like’, factoring in windchill at -5. That was enough to freeze our bottles multiple times throughout the ride. Easily the coldest I’ve ever been while cycling. I ended up with a buff over my face, put on my shakedry rain jacket as an extra layer on top of my winter jacket and generally cursed myself for not picking warmer baselayers. I did thankfully have some silk glove liners to put in, which made a difference.

Thankfully despite the cold it was bone dry everywhere, and for the first half of the ride at least we were on (empty main roads which were gritted anyway.

We made decent progress with a tailwind for most of the first 100km, and hit the coast at Bournemouth, heading along the seafront cycle route into Poole and our halfway point stop in a scout hut. It took us more than an hour to eat, get some warmth back and melt our frozen bottles before we headed out at 5ish to see the sun rising, definitely the high point in terms of views and very encouraging after a long night.

Sadly the sun didn’t do much to change the temperature and our bottles froze up again within a couple of hours, but sunshine and being on the home stretch powered us on.

Probably a little more hilly in the home stretch and we were concerned about hitting ice especially if we pushed it on descents, so we definitely slowed a little, but some coffee and bacon sandwiches powered us on to the last control at the strawberry line cafe in Yatton railway station, temptingly close to Bristol. After daydreaming for a while about getting on a train from there we continued on.

Probably 2/3 of the last 50km was on mixed use light gravel cycle paths with a little mud and a bunch of dog walkers, but thankfully our 100% road setups did OK.

We got back into Bristol and got our Brevet cards stamped and handed in at 4ish, so approximately 18 hours all in, and 13 hours or so actually moving. Daal curry & rice at the finish.

A great experience overall, and about as well run an Audax as you could hope for - vastly better value for the riders than Sportives that cost £££ to enter.

If I did it again, I’d wear warmer everything, get some insulated water bottles, but probably also bring more than just a framebag, to give myself extra clothing options. I spent maybe 6 hours looking enviously at my friends Carradice.

I also dramatically overdid it with lighting - 3 headlights and a spare battery pack, plus emergency running lights. But the first light I used was still going when we finished… Kudos to the moon Meteor Storm Pro.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Well done, I was going to do that but bailed out when I saw the forecast!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tarlibone posted:

First I rigged a chain half-case, and when that bike got stolen I went to a Gates belt. gently caress a naked chain on a transport bike.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

wooger posted:

I did a 300km overnight Audax this weekend, Moonrakers and Sunseekers. We started at 10pm from Bristol, hit 6 controls on route while passing through Salisbury, Poole, Cheddar, Glastonbury and back to Bristol just before the sun set again the next day.

https://www.pedalution.co.uk/events/moonrakers-sunseekers-300/#details

I’ve done rides this long before, but riding that long at night, and in what turned out to be shockingly cold conditions was a big challenge, and ice was a bit of a concern. Thankfully there were four of us from my cycling club signed up for this one and we’d already agreed to roll round together.

The forecast had a low of -2c overnight, with ‘feels like’, factoring in windchill at -5. That was enough to freeze our bottles multiple times throughout the ride. Easily the coldest I’ve ever been while cycling. I ended up with a buff over my face, put on my shakedry rain jacket as an extra layer on top of my winter jacket and generally cursed myself for not picking warmer baselayers. I did thankfully have some silk glove liners to put in, which made a difference.

Thankfully despite the cold it was bone dry everywhere, and for the first half of the ride at least we were on (empty main roads which were gritted anyway.

We made decent progress with a tailwind for most of the first 100km, and hit the coast at Bournemouth, heading along the seafront cycle route into Poole and our halfway point stop in a scout hut. It took us more than an hour to eat, get some warmth back and melt our frozen bottles before we headed out at 5ish to see the sun rising, definitely the high point in terms of views and very encouraging after a long night.

Sadly the sun didn’t do much to change the temperature and our bottles froze up again within a couple of hours, but sunshine and being on the home stretch powered us on.

Probably a little more hilly in the home stretch and we were concerned about hitting ice especially if we pushed it on descents, so we definitely slowed a little, but some coffee and bacon sandwiches powered us on to the last control at the strawberry line cafe in Yatton railway station, temptingly close to Bristol. After daydreaming for a while about getting on a train from there we continued on.

Probably 2/3 of the last 50km was on mixed use light gravel cycle paths with a little mud and a bunch of dog walkers, but thankfully our 100% road setups did OK.

We got back into Bristol and got our Brevet cards stamped and handed in at 4ish, so approximately 18 hours all in, and 13 hours or so actually moving. Daal curry & rice at the finish.

A great experience overall, and about as well run an Audax as you could hope for - vastly better value for the riders than Sportives that cost £££ to enter.

If I did it again, I’d wear warmer everything, get some insulated water bottles, but probably also bring more than just a framebag, to give myself extra clothing options. I spent maybe 6 hours looking enviously at my friends Carradice.

I also dramatically overdid it with lighting - 3 headlights and a spare battery pack, plus emergency running lights. But the first light I used was still going when we finished… Kudos to the moon Meteor Storm Pro.
I did The Welsh Castles Populaire the previous weekend on the tandem, on the Monday I came down with manflu, 40mph winds and torrential rain who knew? We have ridden on the Strawberry line and the stop at Yatton station a few times. Congrats on getting round.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

serious gaylord posted:

I've signed up for Chase the Sun in June next year. Always wanted to do that ride.

Yes, will be doing it on the tandem again. We raised £4700 for brain tumor research. Hopefull we can concentrate on beating the Sun this year. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-65961699.amp

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mikemelbrooks posted:

I did The Welsh Castles Populaire the previous weekend on the tandem, on the Monday I came down with manflu, 40mph winds and torrential rain who knew? We have ridden on the Strawberry line and the stop at Yatton station a few times. Congrats on getting round.

Yeah, thankfully the weather stayed bone dry throughout or lots of people would’ve abandoned at the halfway point I think.

Rainy Welsh audaxes are a different bag.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i like this little wahoo guy so far. it's a bit smaller than i expected and i kinda wonder if i should upgrade to the roam (which is the same size as the 530/540/830/840), but it seems pretty readable for my needs

one downside of moving to this bike computer world is i guess i'll need a heartrate monitor to replace my apple watch... but on the upside cycling is basically the only thing i was using my apple watch for, so i can just sell it now which will offset a big chunk of cost of getting this computer

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how long should my shimano bottom brackets last? these things dont seem to be particularly long lasting

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
UN300 or Hollowtech II or what?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
SM-BBR60 for hollowtech

i swear they're not making it more than 2000-2500 miles

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

SM-BBR60 for hollowtech

It's not the exact same one, but my last SM-BB92-41B lasted about 7000 miles and it probably could have gone longer if I hadn't started riding dirt and gravel with that bike near the end.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

abraham linksys posted:

any reason not to jump on the wahoo element bolt v2 for $230, versus the garmin edge 540 not going on sale anywhere and staying at $350? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095LK8J4K?tag=camelweb-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&language=en_US

(roam is also $320 and is the same thing with a bigger screen i guess)

bike closet is also doing the 830 for $229 refurbished https://bikecloset.com/product/garmin-edge-830-refurbished/

e: nvm saw you got the bolt. nice! its what i have

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

SM-BBR60 for hollowtech

Are you removing the cranks to clean/re-grease the spindle sometimes?

How do you clean your bike?

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I recall reading that when ht2 was new there were a lot of problems with people having the preload way too tight causing the bearings to fail too soon. I'd make sure to check they're just tight enough that there's no play. Also is the bottom bracket shell faced? If the cups are not sitting parallel the bearings aren't gonna last.

I've had my ht2 last for 4ish years now and there's a few winters in there with salt and all kinds of stuff, but it's also protected with full length mudguards so there's a limited amount of poo poo flying it's way.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

did my first proper ride with the bolt and really liked it. it is just large enough that i think i can keep it - the streets on the turn-by-turn are readable without squinting, which is probably the threshold. i could imagine if i had slightly worse vision (or was taller/longer and sitting further away from my handlebars) it'd be an issue, but it seems like a decent tradeoff for saving $90 versus the larger roam. the actual stats are all super readable so no issues there. the map seems like it'll be fairly useless at this size, but i'm not sure if being bigger would help much tbh - and without a touch screen, i'm much more inclined to just grab my phone and look at ridewithgps there if i need to see a full map view.

it did a decent-enough job doing rerouting on manhattan streets when i took a few alternate paths that weren't on my plan. i do want to test it more to see if it's smart about prioritizing streets with bike lanes, though

unsurprisingly when i was on the waterfront and randalls island, which don't have great reception, the speedometer was super laggy (though the gps never got confused or anything). might go ahead and get a speed meter since they're cheap and easy to install, though it seems kinda silly given the gps speed seems good enough 95% of the time. thankfully it also works fine with the garmin cadence sensor i'd previously had connected to my apple watch so no need to swap things out there. being able to see real-time cadence is really interesting, trying to play the game of matching my gears and effort to 90rpm is fun (i'm glad i only have a 1x11 setup or i'd probably get too distracted trying to fine-tune just the right gear)

i also just bought a polar h10 to use for heartrate stuff since it's still on a slight discount if you buy direct from them. sounds like wahoo's newest tickr is fragile as hell and not worth saving a few bucks for something that'll probably die a lot faster

in other black friday purchases: my rapha core winter jacket came in today. it seems nice as hell, but i was surprised by how short it is. is it fairly common for bike jackets like this to be pretty short? i assume that's because you don't have to worry about plumber's crack on a bib, but... i have yet to actually purchase any bibs and am just gonna be wearing this with pants. my base layer sweater sticks out from under it enough that i don't really have to worry about it, but it did surprise me

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I bit the bullet and bought a bicycle from a local shop rather than online after getting burned by bikesdirect and holy smokes the difference between the bikesdirect Dawes SST and this Specialized Roll 2.0 is night and day

Besides some reflectors, lights, a bell, and a water bottle cage is there anything else I should get? I have a full size tire pump, a little electric pump, a helmet, and some elbow pads.

Could I forego a chain and put one of those Gates belts on here without much issue?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

abraham linksys posted:

in other black friday purchases: my rapha core winter jacket came in today. it seems nice as hell, but i was surprised by how short it is. is it fairly common for bike jackets like this to be pretty short? i assume that's because you don't have to worry about plumber's crack on a bib, but... i have yet to actually purchase any bibs and am just gonna be wearing this with pants. my base layer sweater sticks out from under it enough that i don't really have to worry about it, but it did surprise me

Most bike stuff is long in the back to cover your lower back as you're more bent over when riding. They're also usually shorter (relative to the back) in the front because of that being bent over means you're not going to be exposing your lower stomach the same way as you would if you were sitting straight up.

If the back is short and feels like it's not covering your lower back then I'd say you have the wrong size or it's a mediocre piece of kit

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wolfs posted:

Could I forego a chain and put one of those Gates belts on here without much issue?

Unfortunately, belts require special hardware throughout, and can't be retrofitted.

E: well, with effort, you could do a Split belt. But not the Gates.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wolfs posted:

I bit the bullet and bought a bicycle from a local shop rather than online after getting burned by bikesdirect and holy smokes the difference between the bikesdirect Dawes SST and this Specialized Roll 2.0 is night and day

Besides some reflectors, lights, a bell, and a water bottle cage is there anything else I should get? I have a full size tire pump, a little electric pump, a helmet, and some elbow pads.

yeah like an SST is the worst bike they make

you gotta go Kilo or better

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Levitate posted:

Most bike stuff is long in the back to cover your lower back as you're more bent over when riding. They're also usually shorter (relative to the back) in the front because of that being bent over means you're not going to be exposing your lower stomach the same way as you would if you were sitting straight up.

If the back is short and feels like it's not covering your lower back then I'd say you have the wrong size or it's a mediocre piece of kit

oh, i hadn't considered that it'd be short in the front on purpose because of how i'd be positioned, that makes sense! and the back seems fine, yeah, does have an extra strip of elastic on it too that seems like it helps keep it in place

wolfs posted:

spare tube (assuming you're not going tubeless soon) - look up your tire size/width/valve type and get a matching spare. much easier than patching on the road

that's a nice bike, i really liked my specialized hybrid when i got started. still trying to find a buyer for it but for now i'm still using it on my bike trainer (and appreciate that the stock saddle is as padded as it is, nice for that use). also love how those riser bars look with the "bridge" piece between the two ends

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

abraham linksys posted:

did my first proper ride with the bolt and really liked it. it is just large enough that i think i can keep it - the streets on the turn-by-turn are readable without squinting, which is probably the threshold. i could imagine if i had slightly worse vision (or was taller/longer and sitting further away from my handlebars) it'd be an issue, but it seems like a decent tradeoff for saving $90 versus the larger roam. the actual stats are all super readable so no issues there. the map seems like it'll be fairly useless at this size, but i'm not sure if being bigger would help much tbh - and without a touch screen, i'm much more inclined to just grab my phone and look at ridewithgps there if i need to see a full map view.

it did a decent-enough job doing rerouting on manhattan streets when i took a few alternate paths that weren't on my plan. i do want to test it more to see if it's smart about prioritizing streets with bike lanes, though

unsurprisingly when i was on the waterfront and randalls island, which don't have great reception, the speedometer was super laggy (though the gps never got confused or anything). might go ahead and get a speed meter since they're cheap and easy to install, though it seems kinda silly given the gps speed seems good enough 95% of the time. thankfully it also works fine with the garmin cadence sensor i'd previously had connected to my apple watch so no need to swap things out there. being able to see real-time cadence is really interesting, trying to play the game of matching my gears and effort to 90rpm is fun (i'm glad i only have a 1x11 setup or i'd probably get too distracted trying to fine-tune just the right gear)

i also just bought a polar h10 to use for heartrate stuff since it's still on a slight discount if you buy direct from them. sounds like wahoo's newest tickr is fragile as hell and not worth saving a few bucks for something that'll probably die a lot faster

nice! in my riding the bolt is probably best used as a stats HUD with turn by turn that you can zoom out to confirm upcoming turns. the cadence and elevation map stuff is fun and you can customize the views in the app to include info like grade on more screens

I've found the bolt's internal rerouting kinda dumb tbh. it may vary depending on where you're riding but it didn't seem to prefer bike infrastructure over a more direct route. maybe there's no prioritization of protected paths / lanes over sharrows

the wahoo speed sensor is pretty good; it's definitely more reliable than GPS speed reckoning and I haven't had to replace the battery on it since I got it with the bolt

I've had okay results with the tickr, but I did receive a replacement unit for free after one had connectivity issues that turned out to be a melting battery. as long as I wet the electrode pads before wear it seems to work well, but I haven't tried other brands

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wolfs posted:

Unless you can split the frame to install the belt, no.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
So I've started hearing about this waxed chain business a lot lately. Sounds like it's only really good for fairweather road riding. Is that about right?
I'm getting a new gravel bike and figured if I were going to switch that'd be the time, but don't want to go through the process every time I ride on crushed gravel.

I'm still using boeshield t9 and have no problems but figure it's good to re-evaluate every decade or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Waxing is even more useful off pavement than on because it doesn’t get caked with grit.

It just doesn’t make as much of a barrier against water as oil does, so you can get more rust if the bike gets wet and stays wet, especially if salt is involved.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 29, 2023