Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

trevorreznik posted:

Bert is 18-19 and his one good year was with lovie's recruits at their peak. Why is he employed

5-7
8-5
5-7

seems like it's as good as it's gonna get in Urbana-Champaign IMO. That 8-5 season was their best since Zook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

would be v happy w this

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

fast cars loose anus posted:

would be v happy w this

It is funny that the fan and booster reaction has basically been "Drake No: Mark Stoops. Drake Yes: Mark Stoops, but less proven," but I am also largely satisfied with this outcome.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I would phrase it as "Mark Stoops who has definitely hit his ceiling" vs "Mark Stoops who could have a higher one" personally

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

idk man everyone just really loved that 2018 team and wants that fire again. I remember being really fond of his defenses.

i'd definitely rather have an unproven stoops type versus a stoops who has proven to be a lateral step to what we currently have

edit: also he didn't loving kill a kid so i can finally be happy about our defense again

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

GD_American posted:

I've seen that poo poo happen in real life. "It turns out I was not authorized to make that offer" etc etc.

It's a lot funnier here

Big vibe.

Every time my friends try to get me a sweet gig the boosters (people who look at my resume) revolt.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1728905270603207081

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

I would phrase it as "Mark Stoops who has definitely hit his ceiling" vs "Mark Stoops who could have a higher one" personally

I guess I have a hard time projecting what Mark Stoops ceiling at A&M would be based on what his ceiling was at Kentucky, given the discrepancy in resources and ease of recruiting between the two.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seems like an underwhelming hire even if you aren't phased by the Briles connection.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Glad I won’t have to see this rear end in a top hat every week anymore.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

General Dog posted:

Seems like an underwhelming hire even if you aren't phased by the Briles connection.

I don't even know what the appeal is and you have to bring step dad, why would the board agree to this.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Azrial posted:

I don't even know what the appeal is and you have to bring step dad, why would the board agree to this.

The idea seems to be that Mississippi State is jealous of what Ole Miss has right now, and is hiring Lane's old OC to get some of that heat

The issue is that Lebby, beyond the moral and PR hazards that should disqualify him from this job, hasn't been great when outside the supervision of an offensive head coach (Heupel at UCF, Lane at Ole Miss)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

D.N. Nation posted:

5-7
8-5
5-7

seems like it's as good as it's gonna get in Urbana-Champaign IMO. That 8-5 season was their best since Zook.

The Bigger 10 is also going to be Bad for the Illini.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just on a pure football basis, Lebby doesnt do anything for me and then the baylor stuff...

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

General Dog posted:

I guess I have a hard time projecting what Mark Stoops ceiling at A&M would be based on what his ceiling was at Kentucky, given the discrepancy in resources and ease of recruiting between the two.

Yeah you almost just need everyone on board to let the coach come in and get lucky, or have everyone so defeated that they just don't care anymore about whatever third option hire you are making (see Texas and Sark). A&M is not in a terrible spot at the moment, and the scheduling changes and playoff changes mean that they could get lucky with whoever and "turn it around," but I think too many are expecting some miracle hire that you just have to puzzle out to fix it all.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

General Dog posted:

When you have one of the worst programs in FBS and bring in Terry Bowden, I'd say 4-8, 4-8, 2-10 maybe slightly exceeds expectations. I don't know who could've realistically expected better than that out of that hire.

If West Georgia would pony up a bit of money, Bowden would probably be a good fit as they move up to the Atlantic Sun and Division I next year. Bowden did well at North Alabama when they were still DII. But West Georgia doesn't want to pony up the money, which is why they have an opening now. David Dean stepped down at the end of their season.

Speaking of, give David Dean a decent budget and a small Division I/large Division II would do pretty decently with him.

e: Bowden's 67? He might just retire then.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 27, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Mississippi State and Jeff Lebby have the same skeezy vibe. A match made in a Circle K parking lot.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

GD_American posted:

Mississippi State and Jeff Lebby have the same skeezy vibe. A match made in a Circle K parking lot.

One theory I've heard is that Zac Selmon did Oklahoma a favor since he is by all accounts the first guy to be called up whenever Joe Castoglione decides to retire. I doubt that is why he hired Lebby but just lol if true.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

Miss St definitely has a mulleted pro-wrestling vibe but I don’t think that equates to being on-board with an obstinate baby-dick like Lebby.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Just reinforcing that Mike Leach was too good for Miss St, bunch of sleezy jerks.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Dango Bango posted:

It has to be some kind of nepo hire, right?

Familiarity and laziness. Mississippi State athletic director Zac Selmon was hired from Oklahoma in January.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Bigger 10 is also going to be Bad for the Illini.

Yeah their best season had losses to Indiana, Michigan State, Michigan and Purdue. Didn't play Ohio State or Penn state. It's just gonna get worse especially now that Northwestern also lucked into a huge coaching upgrade.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1728948198998499416?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Gruden sucks and shouldn’t get the job but it would also be incredibly funny to watch him pull a Lovie and get hammered by a bunch of lovely big ten teams and ruin his reputation further

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

All these years that he was supposed to go to Tennessee, it would be hilarious for him to land at IU.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1728948198998499416?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Gruden sucks and shouldn’t get the job but it would also be incredibly funny to watch him pull a Lovie and get hammered by a bunch of lovely big ten teams and ruin his reputation further

I know the answer is money, but why would anybody take the Indiana job? The last 14 coaches have finished with losing records, it is actually impossible to win there. And that was before they had to play the Pac teams

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Tommy Rees sucks.

Gruden would be funny.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I know and understand that we will lose Kane Wommack but please God, not to Indiana

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I know the answer is money, but why would anybody take the Indiana job? The last 14 coaches have finished with losing records, it is actually impossible to win there. And that was before they had to play the Pac teams

It's a stepping stone for an OC or G5 coach to a better P5 HC job

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Komet posted:

Has anyone actually made that step, though? If somebody wins 40% of their games in conference and goes to 3 bowls in 5 years, that’s a stunning success at Indiana, but is somebody actually flipping that into a gig at like, Tennessee?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I feel like if you can win at Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky, you can certainly win in Indiana.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

I feel like if you can win at Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky, you can certainly win in Indiana.

it should be literally impossible to win a single big ten game at northwestern

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Komet posted:

Coaches to successfully use Indiana as a stepping stone job include... uh ... *checks notes*

Sam Wyche got the Bengals job after 1 season and he went 3-8. Indiana is one of the most no-hope jobs in the sport

Northwestern has a longer track history of stepping stone success yeesh

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Going from Duke to Texas A&M is an even more dramatic change in expectations than Kentucky to Texas A&M.

But look to be realistic Duke can never compete with a team willing to drop $100m+ to fire their old coach and bring in a new one. It’s at least an improvement to have teams want to hire our coaches. Given they just hired Elko, cautiously optimistic about the administration getting the right coach in especially since next year is a rebuilding year anyways

Also hope Elko is represented by a good agent because he shouldn’t take anything less than a contract that sets him up for life

But man A&M firing a coach because 8-4 in the SEC west isn’t good enough only to hire a coach that went 7-5 in the ACC coastal is a trip

Adun fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 27, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Indiana last won the B1G in 1967. Even Purdue and Illinois have won the conference more recently. In fact, every traditional B1G team has won the conference more recently than Indiana except for Minny. And at least Minny has had several coaches with a .500 or better record

Indiana sucks and should relegate themselves to the MAC

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Kevin Wilson took a few years to turn Indiana around from 1-11 to a reasonably competitive 6-6 team.

If Al Golden and Matt Rhule could make Temple respectable, then there's no reason that Indiana, with that Big Ten money, can't get to 6 or 7 wins a year.

What would Indiana have looked like the last few years if they were in the Big Ten West?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

it should be literally impossible to win a single big ten game at northwestern

I went to look up when Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl in the 90s (It was 1995 and I mostly remember it because my sister declared them to be her favorite team "Because they're purple"), but also LOL at the beginning of the season record table:

It's not at all a unique thing - at least in the Big Ten schools, but it's still funny to me that this sport was once just a buncha dudes named Arthur Cumnock, Charles Bigelow Storrs, or Bum McClung* who'd get together to go like 0-2 against teams like the Dayton Athletic Club or friggin' Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology**.

* OK, these dudes were on like national championship teams and not 0-2 "Buncha guys" teams, but they were just the easiest names to find and I am not seeing the name "Arthur Cumnock" and NOT sharing it.

** I've known two people who actually went there. Go Fightin' Engineers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Coaches to successfully use Indiana as a stepping stone job include... uh ... *checks notes*

Sam Wyche got the Bengals job after 1 season and he went 3-8. Indiana is one of the most no-hope jobs in the sport

Northwestern has a longer track history of stepping stone success yeesh

Cam Cameron went from there to NFL OC and extremely failed head coach. I don’t think that’s the goal though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Cam Cam was also fired from Indiana first, so yeah, not very successful

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

I went to look up when Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl in the 90s (It was 1995 and I mostly remember it because my sister declared them to be her favorite team "Because they're purple"), but also LOL at the beginning of the season record table:

It's not at all a unique thing - at least in the Big Ten schools, but it's still funny to me that this sport was once just a buncha dudes named Arthur Cumnock, Charles Bigelow Storrs, or Bum McClung* who'd get together to go like 0-2 against teams like the Dayton Athletic Club or friggin' Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology**.

* OK, these dudes were on like national championship teams and not 0-2 "Buncha guys" teams, but they were just the easiest names to find and I am not seeing the name "Arthur Cumnock" and NOT sharing it.

** I've known two people who actually went there. Go Fightin' Engineers.

I'm shocked to learn Rose-Hulman has a football team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Glad I won’t have to see this rear end in a top hat every week anymore.

Cannot begin to explain how loving happy I am to be rid of that stupid art briles loving fat gently caress. I hope I never see another lovely jet sweep with a walkon receiver in my life.