Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Glad I have a nursing pillow already for my 1yr old so it’s not weird to say I use it for the Deck lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I haven't turned on my Deck in a month, but did so today. It's been installing poo poo for the past two hours; system updates, shaders, game updates, Linux scouts(?)... it's now on the fourth restart after applying yet another system update. It's cool. I didn't wanna play a game anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I haven't turned on my Deck in a month, but did so today. It's been installing poo poo for the past two hours; system updates, shaders, game updates, Linux scouts(?)... it's now on the fourth restart after applying yet another system update. It's cool. I didn't wanna play a game anyway.

You could still have played the deck without doing any of that you know.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Do let me know how to play a game while an operating system is restarting. For the fourth time. It's done now, though. Finally playing some SoulCalibur.

At least I got to finally see that Elden Ring Ranni startup movie I traded some points for the other day.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Saoshyant posted:

Do let me know how to play a game while an operating system is restarting. For the fourth time. It's done now, though. Finally playing some SoulCalibur.

At least I got to finally see that Elden Ring Ranni startup movie I traded some points for the other day.

Yup, uhhhh, you have to tell it to restart.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

By not doing the update? I dunno you don't really need to do all that stuff if you just wanted to play some games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Obviously the answer is to not neglect your deck.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Commander Keene posted:

If you dock the Deck while downloading games the screen turns off so you don't have to worry about OLED burn-in.
All my other screens are also OLED
Don't do it goons, I can't go back man.

Good tip though, my TV will run it's little screensaver while it downloads.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Been breaking in the OLED by playing through The Messenger and while it might not be the best way to show off the OLED, those pixels are real pretty.

this is all of us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3TUX3MIX0w

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Welp, first real flaw in the OLED deck: the headphone jack hisses like crazy. Sounds like it's a problem that lots of people are having, probably due to shielding issues. Bluetooth audio works fine but it's one more thing that can run out of battery on a long plane ride.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Saoshyant posted:

I haven't updated my Deck in months

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Welp, first real flaw in the OLED deck: the headphone jack hisses like crazy. Sounds like it's a problem that lots of people are having, probably due to shielding issues. Bluetooth audio works fine but it's one more thing that can run out of battery on a long plane ride.

Yeah, mine arrived this morning and I'm getting the same, though at a lower level. I can easily tell in a quiet room using Etymotic earphones. I think that either noise cancelling hiss or any significant background sound (like on a plane) would drown it out on my unit though. It's lower than the base level hiss on my Audeze Penrose, for example.

Screen's fab though, and I was pleasantly surprised to see Disgaea 7 just turn out 90fps immediately without touching it. It's full of colour so it really benefits from the new screen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Don’t let corporate IT manage your deck and you won’t get forced reboots. I sincerely hope this helps you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Did they fix the problems with the latest OS update? Good to allow that install yet?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Saoshyant posted:

Do let me know how to play a game while an operating system is restarting. For the fourth time.

I just want to bathe in the smugness of this post a little longer

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Imagine how hosed you have to be to play games without running the latest version of all installed software. smdh

I bet y'all are behind on your windows updates too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Got my OLED yesterday, its my first deck and its awesome. I forgot how big my steam library is, I only bought one game (Vampire Survivors).

Only thing is the vent smell is gross, y'all are disgusting. I feel like I got tricked.

This thing rules, I know I can tweak like crazy but so far everything runs great.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Only thing is the vent smell is gross

Mods threadban please.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Only thing is the vent smell is gross, y'all are disgusting. I feel like I got tricked.

So wrong. *takes a big ole rip of that vent*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

:catstare:

i WISH i modded this forum

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

TwoDice posted:

Imagine how hosed you have to be to play games without running the latest version of all installed software. smdh

I bet y'all are behind on your windows updates too.

Love booting up my W10 PC to find it has 6 months of installs and no, it won’t be doing them in less than a full day of being online.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

this mfer has brain damage

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

*big huff*

Guys, I dun feel so gud. :pwn:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this mfer has brain damage

I do now!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Got my OLED yesterday, its my first deck and its awesome. I forgot how big my steam library is, I only bought one game (Vampire Survivors).

This thing rules, I know I can tweak like crazy but so far everything runs great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

thank you

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Harsh but I dare say it’s the right call

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Thank you for your service, Matt Zerella. It is what it is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

:patriot:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Did they fix the problems with the latest OS update? Good to allow that install yet?
Seems to fix the 200/1040 bug that I was seeing on my LCD, I didn't run into that bug on the OLED that I noticed. It jumped between those sometimes, but I didn't see a degradation of performance. I also avoided turning on allow tearing which is what they reported caused the issue so that might be part of why I didn't see it happen!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The problems are overblown, embrace inevitability

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Is this the sort of thing a ground loop isolator in line could fix for you?

I haven't noticed anything like this on the LE and I use wired headphones alot.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Setec_Astronomy posted:

That especially sucks since Bluetooth has such an awful delay too

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Has anyone tried the OLED with Bluetooth AptX Low Latency using compatible headphones? I’m curious if the latency is actually reasonable with that codec

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Chin Strap posted:

Is this the sort of thing a ground loop isolator in line could fix for you?

I haven't noticed anything like this on the LE and I use wired headphones alot.

I hadn't heard of these, but it's worth a try! Just ordered one that should show up on Friday. I'll report back when it gets here.

Kwolok posted:

That especially sucks since Bluetooth has such an awful delay too

Thankfully I don't notice this, but that's probably down to me not being remotely an audiophile.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Thankfully I don't notice this, but that's probably down to me not being remotely an audiophile.

If you played rhythm games without proper calibration options you would.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Any quality-of-life accessories that folks recommend grabbing for a Steam Deck?

Right now the only things I'm looking at picking up are a 100W charger and some longer usb-c cables to be able to charge quickly on my couch or bed without having to worry about positioning alongside a pair of decent (but cheap) wired earbuds -- I guess I'll take my chances with the hissing over grabbing another pair of bluetooth wireless buds for me to lose in a week's time.

edit: My brothers and sisters in struggle, my OLED is out for delivery today. I felt everyone might want the update, so I tossed this in alongside the above ask for recommendations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Unless than OLED switched things up, the Deck doesnt go higher than 45W charging so no need to go that high on the brick.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the charger that came with my Steam Deck couldn't keep up with the power draw while playing non-intensive games so I bought a 65w charger off Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unless than OLED switched things up, the Deck doesnt go higher than 45W charging so no need to go that high on the brick.

The steam deck will only charge with 15v power, so most 3rd party chargers won't get their rated power either. You need to explicitly check the 15vX number on the bottom and multiple the 2 to figure out the wattage it'll charge a steam deck at.