Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I'm shocked to learn Rose-Hulman has a football team

They were even playing against Indiana, Purdue, Vandy, and Notre Dame!

.. They lost their last game against Notre Dame (in 1914) 103-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

General Dog posted:

Has anyone actually made that step, though? If somebody wins 40% of their games in conference and goes to 3 bowls in 5 years, that’s a stunning success at Indiana, but is somebody actually flipping that into a gig at like, Tennessee?

You can't possibly be this thick

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Where did Derek Dooley come from, you moron. You loving imbecile.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Louisiana Tech, our oldest rival in women's basketball.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Komet posted:

What would Indiana have looked like the last few years if they were in the Big Ten West?

They haven't beaten Purdue since 2019. They have had some close games with Illinois and will occasionally surprise Wisconsin or Iowa, but for the most part I think it would be the same.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Elko may be a good coach, but I can't believe that's the hire A&M's gonna make after spending all that money. If I were having to pay that much to get rid of the head coach, I wouldn't want any shred of that coach's regime remaining around me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

They were even playing against Indiana, Purdue, Vandy, and Notre Dame!

.. They lost their last game against Notre Dame (in 1914) 103-0

All I can picture when I think Rose-Hulman football is tiny dudes with broken glasses repaired with white tape in the middle.

This also led me to the shocking discovery that MIT has a football team as well.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
When I visited Rose-Hulman the Colts were using it as a practice facility. They showed us the cafeteria and the offensive line was in there taking a break. Those were some big dudes. But it did surprise me they had a football field and facilities at all.

It was way too expensive to seriously consider, but one of the selling points on the tour was that there was an all girls college not too far away to counter the male-female ratio at the school itself.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

single-mode fiber posted:

Elko may be a good coach, but I can't believe that's the hire A&M's gonna make after spending all that money. If I were having to pay that much to get rid of the head coach, I wouldn't want any shred of that coach's regime remaining around me.

There’s no hire anybody can make that’s going to “justify” the buyout, you really just have to consider that a total loss and try to make a good hire from square 1.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I went to an engineering camp at Rose-Hulman in high school and it became my #2 school after Penn State. I was accepted in the early admission phase and never bothered applying to any other schools other than those two. If I had, Purdue would have been my third choice. I'm glad I went to Penn State because I ended up leaving the engineering school anyway and majored in history. Things may have worked out differently at Rose-Hulman than Penn State, but if it hadn't, I would have had to transfer schools entirely. At least Penn State had lots of other options.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Forgot about the coaching thread so just chiming in to say good riddance to bad rubbish (Jeff Lebby)

He's a fine OC but I am glad the program will be rid of the stink of Baylor.

I am proud of OU for putting him in his place after he tried his tough guy "that's the grandfather of my children :colbert:" bullshit after Briles got on the field. gently caress that scumbag.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Powerful username/post combo

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

That's right

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I know the answer is money, but why would anybody take the Indiana job? The last 14 coaches have finished with losing records, it is actually impossible to win there. And that was before they had to play the Pac teams

I'm becoming increasingly concerned that if you're worse than Michigan State on average you're never seeing a winning conference record ever again

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Sash! posted:

I'm becoming increasingly concerned that if you're worse than Michigan State on average you're never seeing a winning conference record ever again

I'm guessing we're going to seek fluke 'good seasons' for the bad big10 teams that do well by pure scheduling happenstance, like how the NFL teams sometimes get those fluke worst to first then dive right back into the dumpster.

For example, in 2027, Wisconsin plays: Illinois, Msu, minnesota, usc, iowa, nebraska, northwestern, PSU, ucla. That's what, 2 decent teams (USC,PSU)? With some luck they could go undefeated until they lose 77-0 in the champ game to OSU/Michigan/Washington/Oregon. Presumably, Illinois/indiana/northwestern/maryland/minnesota/nebraska/purdue can get similar lineups in their favor and cruise to a 9-3 season when they beat absolutely no one.

And frankly this will be more annoying to have the best years for the bad programs just be dodging the good ones.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

I'm guessing we're going to seek fluke 'good seasons' for the bad big10 teams that do well by pure scheduling happenstance, like how the NFL teams sometimes get those fluke worst to first then dive right back into the dumpster.

NFL scheduling has a weird quirk that can contribute to that. 3 of your games in the NFL will be against non-divisional opponents who placed the same place as you in their division last year. So if you sucked last year but you're on the upswing, you'd get 3 games against other teams who sucked last year, which can help bolster your record. And then the opposite is true too; if you were good last year, you have a harder schedule this year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The OP now has the actual carousel in it. Let me know if I missed any.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

trevorreznik posted:

For example, in 2027, Wisconsin plays: Illinois, Msu, minnesota, usc, iowa, nebraska, northwestern, PSU, ucla. That's what, 2 decent teams (USC,PSU)? With some luck they could go undefeated until they lose 77-0 in the champ game to OSU/Michigan/Washington/Oregon. Presumably, Illinois/indiana/northwestern/maryland/minnesota/nebraska/purdue can get similar lineups in their favor and cruise to a 9-3 season when they beat absolutely no one.

And frankly this will be more annoying to have the best years for the bad programs just be dodging the good ones.

I hope a team lucks into a schedule of nothing but the old West teams, Maryland, and Rutgers. And then has to play all the good teams the next.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash is probably right about the bottom half of the Big Ten stuck in the bottom half forever, but wasn't that also the case for many decades in the conference? With the amount of money each team brings in with the TV deal and NIL money, it's possible for a crafty administration and coach to change the paradigm. UCLA is probably below Iowa and Wisconsin on the average. The other three teams have Heisman level QBs that are going to the NFL. They aren't going to come into the conference next year and immediately dominate the playoff discussion. I don't see Illinois, NW, or Purdue as hopeless.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I also wouldn't count on all four of the West Coast schools being top-half in the Big Ten all the time.

edit: kind of beaten to the same point by Komet.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Looking forward to the 2-3 good Big 10 teams playing something closer to a real schedule going forward. This cake walk until your final game nonsense is absurd. I hope Oregon or UW wins the conference next year for maximum hilarity

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hope a team lucks into a schedule of nothing but the old West teams, Maryland, and Rutgers. And then has to play all the good teams the next.

Is the bottom of the big 10 worse than other conferences or does it just seem that way due to so many teams?

All 10 of these are garbage: Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland. UCLA and MSU aren't much better.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 27, 2023

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
if I had to guess I’d say you’re gonna have Michigan, Ohio, Wash, Oregon, and USC as the top. Maybe MSU and UCLA if they ever get their poo poo together. Then you have the Cinderella stories really

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

if I had to guess I’d say you’re gonna have Michigan, Ohio, Wash, Oregon, and USC as the top. Maybe MSU and UCLA if they ever get their poo poo together. Then you have the Cinderella stories really

Yep that sounds about right.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know if I'd pencil in Washington as an annual, long term top-third team in the conference just yet. They're probably pretty good as long as DeBoer is around, though.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

General Dog posted:

I don't know if I'd pencil in Washington as an annual, long term top-third team in the conference just yet. They're probably pretty good as long as DeBoer is around, though.

yeah, might be recency bias on my part. However if I rank by uniforms Wash is near the top, #2 easily

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

James Franklin solving his "can't beat Michigan or Ohio State" problem by just adding more schools to the list so Michigan and Ohio State are more hidden

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MTSU fired Rick Stockstill

RIP

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1729192251052671133

And they’re paying a 5 million dollar buyout to make this happen, that’s an astronomical number for a CUSA school

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Cthulu Carl posted:

James Franklin solving his "can't beat Michigan or Ohio State" problem by just adding more schools to the list so Michigan and Ohio State are more hidden

it’s a clever strat

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

James Franklin beat Michigan in 2017, 2019, and 2020. Ohio State is really the only team he's completely shook by. He also destroyed Washington in the Fiesta Bowl and Utah in the Rose, so I don't think the PAC teams really loom large in his brain the way Ohio State broke him in 2017 and 2018.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

When I visited Rose-Hulman the Colts were using it as a practice facility. They showed us the cafeteria and the offensive line was in there taking a break. Those were some big dudes. But it did surprise me they had a football field and facilities at all.

It was way too expensive to seriously consider, but one of the selling points on the tour was that there was an all girls college not too far away to counter the male-female ratio at the school itself.

St. Mary of the Woods? Back in the 90's there were only about 300 girls there and the place was a literal convent. My girlfriend went there, no good roads between West Lafayette and there either.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Looking forward to the 2-3 good Big 10 teams playing something closer to a real schedule going forward. This cake walk until your final game nonsense is absurd. I hope Oregon or UW wins the conference next year for maximum hilarity

It'll be interesting to see if this has an impact beyond just the harder schedule. Michigan played E. Carolina, UNLV, and Bowling green out of conference, and then their first SIX conference games were complete blowouts. That's gotta be a huge boon for a team right? Rest your first string and get playing time for your backups in your first NINE games?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Washington doesn't have, and really has never had, the ability to contend perenially. I mentioned it in a different thread but our success next year is entirely predicated on someone picking up where Penix and Odunze leave off. If a school manages to lure DeBoer away we will probably spend more than a few years in the mediocrity wilderness, too.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

Is the bottom of the big 10 worse than other conferences or does it just seem that way due to so many teams?

All 10 of these are garbage: Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland. UCLA and MSU aren't much better.

Even in those 10 there is a further bottom. Illinois has been real bad. Indiana, Purdue, and Rutgers have about one or two winning seasons each decade. Nebraska fell off the cliff after 2016. Maryland is pretty much the middle, 50/50 record and winning seasons. I think the rest at least have winning seasons more than 50% of the time.

Vanderbilt is terrible like those first five, Arkansas has been near there the last ~10 years. Not sure about anyone else in the sec. How many teams like this does the acc and big12 have? 3 or 4 each? Maybe it is just the quantity.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

It'll be interesting to see if this has an impact beyond just the harder schedule. Michigan played E. Carolina, UNLV, and Bowling green out of conference, and then their first SIX conference games were complete blowouts. That's gotta be a huge boon for a team right? Rest your first string and get playing time for your backups in your first NINE games?

Yeah being able to rest any slightly dinged up starter and get tons of reps for the backups is huge not to mention the psychological impact of not being in tight games week to week. What’s nice is it won’t necessarily cost teams a playoff spot if they drop 1-2 games with the new playoff expansion but we’ll get a much better idea who’s actually good.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

https://twitter.com/BenAxelrod/status/1728518226949128575?s=20

:sickos:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Urban Meyer momentum of... Getting inexplicably evaporated by Iowa or Purdue? The Tressel momentum of getting to the national championship then getting evaporated by an SEC school?

I don't mind not having that momentum.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yeah being able to rest any slightly dinged up starter and get tons of reps for the backups is huge not to mention the psychological impact of not being in tight games week to week. What’s nice is it won’t necessarily cost teams a playoff spot if they drop 1-2 games with the new playoff expansion but we’ll get a much better idea who’s actually good.

It's hard to say, right? I mean, Michigan was good enough to blow out all those schools.

Like, Texas lost its star running back this season because he was playing in the 4th quarter against TCU because we weren't good enough to stomp the poo poo out of TCU and put in the bench by the 4th quarter, even though we probably should have been. Same story if we'd been playing Illinois? Probably ... but I dunno maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Cthulu Carl posted:

The Urban Meyer momentum of... Getting inexplicably evaporated by Iowa or Purdue? The Tressel momentum of getting to the national championship then getting evaporated by an SEC school?

I don't mind not having that momentum.

the day haters are mind blowing to me