Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly am surprised it was up for debate

It wasn't, it's just one person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm certain that Suletta in SRW will be an absolute dodge monster. I'm also hoping we get both the Aerial and the Calibarn, preferably with a rainbow sparkles combination attack.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mio as support in the tiny worker mech.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

I'm certain that Suletta in SRW will be an absolute dodge monster. I'm also hoping we get both the Aerial and the Calibarn, preferably with a rainbow sparkles combination attack.

Honestly I feel more like Suletta should be built more like a tank. Iron Wall and stuff that lets her just soak attacks with Aerial's barriers all day every day. To be honest a part of me honestly thinks she should have one of those weird skillsets with a lot of support skills. At very least she needs to be able to give the experience doubler to other people for super cheap because Move Forward, Get 2.

(To be honest I do wonder how they'll handle the Calibarn considering that as near as I can tell it's a pretty straight downgrade from the Aerial, though I guess maximum Permet Score Calibarn will probably be Nirvash-like.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 26, 2023

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I feel more like Suletta should be built more like a tank. Iron Wall and stuff that lets her just soak attacks with Aerial's barriers all day every day. To be honest a part of me honestly thinks she should have one of those weird skillsets with a lot of support skills. At very least she needs to be able to give the experience doubler to other people for super cheap because Move Forward, Get 2.

(To be honest I do wonder how they'll handle the Calibarn considering that as near as I can tell it's a pretty straight downgrade from the Aerial, though I guess maximum Permet Score Calibarn will probably be Nirvash-like.)

They'll probably make Excalibarn a super mode you get for having enough Morale in a stage after the WfM ending, which would be towards the end of the game anyway.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I do want to see a Super Robot Wars with X Astray, Unicorn and G-Witch in the end so you can have the most absolutely rainbow-shooting shield ending in the history of rainbow shooting shield endings.

If they ever do Witch from Mercury in Super Robot Wars they need to have Eva as well just we can get parenting lessons from Gendo and Prospera at the same time

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If they ever do Witch from Mercury in Super Robot Wars they need to have Eva as well just we can get parenting lessons from Gendo and Prospera at the same time

Original flavor Gendo or Rebuild Gendo? They're different kinds of wonderful parent, after all.

Original Gendo was a distant kind of terrible. He hated himself, so he assumed the best thing for Shinji was to minimize contact except insofar as he absolutely needed to for his plans.

Rebuild Gendo, by contrast, was playing Shinji like a piano, putting him through the exact same suffering as he went through so he'd break properly. (Only Shinji wound up a lot better than Gendo thought, thanks to his friends.)

One thing they have in common, though? Not a second wasted on thinking that he isn't a piece of poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chiasaur11 posted:

Original flavor Gendo or Rebuild Gendo? They're different kinds of wonderful parent, after all.

Original Gendo was a distant kind of terrible. He hated himself, so he assumed the best thing for Shinji was to minimize contact except insofar as he absolutely needed to for his plans.

Rebuild Gendo, by contrast, was playing Shinji like a piano, putting him through the exact same suffering as he went through so he'd break properly. (Only Shinji wound up a lot better than Gendo thought, thanks to his friends.)

One thing they have in common, though? Not a second wasted on thinking that he isn't a piece of poo poo.

First one, then the other.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Prospera and Gendo get married, Suletta and Shinji become siblings.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wish they'd done more with the slap, to be honest.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Zedd posted:

Wait people actually argued it didn't? The Char is literally called Prospera.

Yeah I've had people argue that the Tempest references are just in names and not themes or plot elements, an that the name Caliban is supposed to be a King Arthur reference and not a reference to The Tempest. To my face. Because "The Tempest and other Shakespeare is too obscure and english for Japanese audiences and creators to be familiar with."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Watching the Greco movies and I'm salty they put a cut in the middle of the Klim Nick meme. I may not have seen this series in ten years, but drat it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Watching the Greco movies and I'm salty they put a cut in the middle of the Klim Nick meme. I may not have seen this series in ten years, but drat it.

Tomino...I trusted you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fivemarks posted:

Yeah I've had people argue that the Tempest references are just in names and not themes or plot elements, an that the name Caliban is supposed to be a King Arthur reference and not a reference to The Tempest. To my face. Because "The Tempest and other Shakespeare is too obscure and english for Japanese audiences and creators to be familiar with."

It's not even the first anime to borrow significantly from The Tempest!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_of_Tempest

Akira Kurosawa did multiple movies that adapted Shakespeare plays!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I assume this is an issue with the HD remaster of SEED or whatever, but episode 23 ends with Kira emerging from the sea like godzilla to rescue Cagalli from the island she and Athrun are stranded on, and Athrun waiting to be picked up by his crew. Episode 24 starts with them all just in the middle of combat, and it feels really weird to just gloss over everything that took place in between the two. Weird rear end pacing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Cacophanus/status/1729103285800624582?t=lJA3v-8FBoeL6pDLg39Jog&s=19

Lol

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So I assume this is an issue with the HD remaster of SEED or whatever, but episode 23 ends with Kira emerging from the sea like godzilla to rescue Cagalli from the island she and Athrun are stranded on, and Athrun waiting to be picked up by his crew. Episode 24 starts with them all just in the middle of combat, and it feels really weird to just gloss over everything that took place in between the two. Weird rear end pacing.

No, that's actually 100% intentional and IMO good pacing. Because it is specifically there to take the whole "wow maybe we can overcome our differences and get along" episode and smash it on the ground.

It's the meta equivalent of the narrator going, "And nothing changed." The actual character growth from that doesn't come until later.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah that's very intentional. It's meant to be a rug pull, where you're like "oh this will be the part where they realize they're Not So Different After All", but actually no.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
https://twitter.com/amaki777/status/1728619525414027723

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

When you think about it G-reco is basically the mecha version of the wire

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

When you think about it G-reco is basically the mecha version of the wire

I'm pretty sure "The Wire" is the mecha version of The Wire.

Or did you forget the focus on the Special Vehicles division in season 6?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Also lmao at how SEED's updated ending and opening spoils not only the new characters and gundams yet to come, but nicol's death and the future romantic pairings.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lol

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Nuebot posted:

Also lmao at how SEED's updated ending and opening spoils not only the new characters and gundams yet to come, but nicol's death and the future romantic pairings.

While taking the ED sequence that originally started at episode 40 and moving it forward to episode 27 certainly was a choice, I think that's the only major change they made.

They really just threw that stuff out there in the original, new mobile suits and characters showing up in the opening 10-20 episodes before appearing in the story was just how Seed rolled

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Petsuchan/status/1729535959136337934?t=h4pfauDat5fpAvPWzGftkQ&s=19

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Do you think at a certain point, there will be so many OYW sidestories that we'll reach the point where EVERY Federation and Zeon pilot was an Ace?

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 28, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think we will have tens of thousands of side stories no

funny observation that OYW has many stories set in that timeframe, very eye opening

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
It's always felt to me that the OYW feels shorter and shorter as time goes on, and as they pack more and more poo poo into it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Need more Gryps War and 1st Neo Zeon War side stories.

Edit: 1st NZ War, sorry. 2nd was barely a war and just Char taking crazy pills for a few months.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 28, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It would be nice to finally get an anime set during the first Neo-Zeon war

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

It would be nice to finally get an anime set during the first Neo-Zeon war

I know. ZZ is great but it's not anime.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Wow I like G Reco but the Venus Globe arc is absolute nonsense.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What isn't making sense

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
gently caress all is explained in any sensical matter. People attack each other for vague reasons, steal mobile shits with no repercussions, there’s no description or decent establishing shots of locations, President is 200 years old and no one questions it….

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Need more Gryps War and 1st Neo Zeon War side stories.

Edit: 1st NZ War, sorry. 2nd was barely a war and just Char taking crazy pills for a few months.

My vibes-based analysis is that the OYW feels sufficiently large to allow for all of these side stories, while the perspectives of the Gryps and First Neo Zeon war leave me feeling like the conflicts are too narrow. Yes, I know that they are wider conflicts from errata, but 0079 showed things like Operation Odessa, the Federation launching into space from Jaburo, Solomon and A Baoa Qu to remind the viewer that the White Base is only one part of this world conflict, and the story is about the White Base trying to keep its head above water in that context.

I cannot recall anything taking the focus off the Argama in Zeta to let us understand who else is in AEUG, and what the broader context of a Federation civil war looks like. It left me feeling like the Argama was AEUG in its entirety, and thus how can I have side stories in that period without stepping on its toes? Same feeling in ZZ, though my memories of ZZ are much murkier.

0079 threaded the needle of telling a personal, localized story while creating a sufficiently large world to justify other perspectives on the One Year War. Zeta and ZZ fail at this. In fact, I don't think any other entries in the UC succeed at this. Except Crossbone, probably. I haven't read Crossbone yet but from the bits and pieces I've picked up, there's a lot more meat in that period for someone to pencil in their own notes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ManSedan posted:

President is 200 years old and no one questions it….

Sounds pretty realistic to me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/takeawaybigbun/status/1729175146404212896

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManSedan posted:

gently caress all is explained in any sensical matter. People attack each other for vague reasons, steal mobile shits with no repercussions, there’s no description or decent establishing shots of locations, President is 200 years old and no one questions it….

I'm not really sure what isn't explained?

They go to Venus Globe where the are intercepted by the G-IT Corps who are part of the Reconguista plan. They are trying to capture the Megafauna and its crew so they can use their tech and things go wrong.

The President being 200 years old is treated as a "wait, what?!" moment and you eventually find out the cost he paid for that longevity is the horrible state of his body which he hides using a body suit.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's room for a side story on what the earth half of aeug (technically a separate organization? i forget the name) was up to while the argama wasn't around. maybe focusing on amuro idk

give me a kai's wild spy adventures side story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

ImpAtom posted:

The President being 200 years old is treated as a "wait, what?!" moment and you eventually find out the cost he paid for that longevity is the horrible state of his body which he hides using a body suit.

For the former, in the movie I’m watching he states his age and it immediately cuts to another scene. The body suit thing is also similarly fast and hardly commented on.

Anyway they’re back to Earth and the plots good again.