Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Helga - Wrapped in Mist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvAeCCLOzKE

If you like the new Myrkur you'll probably like this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Black Friday release day post

Cruciamentum, death doom
Fawn Limbs & Nadja collab, drone
Midnight Odyssey, atmoblack
Korgonthurus, atmoblack
High Spirits, trad
Kvelgeyst, bm
Thronehammer, doom
Aeon Winds, atmoblack
Infernal Angels, meloblack
Beyond Grace, progressive death
A Hill to Die Upon, bm
Don't Drop the Sword, pm
Valdrin, meloblack
Convocation, death doom
Burdon of Grief, melodeath
Hitten, trad
One Master, bm
Helga, atmoblack
Temple of Scorn, dm
Deathcode Society, meloblack
Sort Sind. melodic blackened death
The Breathing Process, symphonic dxc
Absque Cor, bm
Underdark, atmoblack
Ophanim, atmoblack
Abaddon, melodic blackened death
Sadism, dm
Rhûn, blackened death
Carnivorous Forest, folky atmoblack
Malediction, dm
Slôdder, sludge
Délétère, meloblack
Emerald Rage, trad
Mêlée des aurores, bm
Silverbones, pm
Sigh of Defeat, prog
Kristaliis, bm

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 25, 2023

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Just happened to be listening to this already, it's pretty good

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I was on a listening party for the new Panopticon tonight, it's dope as gently caress.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This album is almost entirely vibes-based gothic ambient. Then you go to the live show and get more like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ygeh6p068s

Both are super cool I just found the disparity interesting.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyCGhPPREXw

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVCXqTZ19Kk

quote:

Singer Tony Kakko comments: "We've felt for a while now that we needed to get heavier after a couple of unintentionally softer albums. We still love those albums, but in terms of finding cornerstone songs for a feel-good melodic metal show, the previous album didn't have much to offer. We're getting back to metal after all that feels like a fresh start, and the new songs have been so much fun to write and record: More speed and songs that people can and want to sing along to.

Well, about freakin' time. The new song does actually sound a lot like their older stuff, which is cool. Not anything particularly innovative, but if you like their sound from before, then this is a good indicator.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I missed that single when it originally came out but yeah I have no idea why 20 years ago that band decided to stop doing the thing they were good at and start making every album a slog to get through. New song is pretty good and if the whole album is like that it should be a great time but I've been baited before by one good fast song like Flag in the Ground on Days of Grays only for the rest of the album to be lovely slow songs, so hopefully Tony's statement is accurate

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 27, 2023

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m honestly surprised to see them go back to an older style. Tony has said in interviews that he is old and prefers not to perform fast songs live anymore, and he just wants to do his own thing. I suspect a solo album will follow this one :) Whatever Tony does, I am here for!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

ig videos won't embed so click this link for a funny reel about ear plugs, if you're into that sort of thing

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

henpod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVCXqTZ19Kk

Well, about freakin' time. The new song does actually sound a lot like their older stuff, which is cool. Not anything particularly innovative, but if you like their sound from before, then this is a good indicator.
I'm glad Tony eventually learned to sing properly in a way that won't hurt him, but his vocal approach has gotten so safe in recent years that there seems to be almost nothing interesting left

It's a shame, he's quite well-trained now and his voice could definitely do Mats Leven-type stuff in his lower register if he tried to develop it in a different direction

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 27, 2023

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just can't stand Tony Kakko's voice anymore. Well, that's not strictly true, I can stand it, but it definitely decreases my enjoyment of any song he's in. And that's a drat shame because musically speaking Sonata have a lot of real bangers in their discography. San Sebastian would be a quintessential power metal classic to me with a better* vocalist.

*: subjectively speaking, I'm not saying Tony isn't a skilled singer

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nordick posted:

And that's a drat shame because musically speaking Sonata have a lot of real bangers in their discography.

Mind sharing your favorites? I've bounced off of Sonata Arctica half a dozen times but they're so well-loved I feel like I must be missing something.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think the first 4 are all just about equal in quality, sometimes I just listen to them as one long super album so any of those is a safe pick. Gun to my head, Silence is probably their best. This rec also comes with the caveat that you enjoy neoclassical pm with lots of synths harmonizing with guitars like Stratovarius, or Bodom with clean vocals.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Days of Grays released when I was in like Grade 9 so I have a huge soft spot for it despite... Well, all of it

The best track on it is the bonus track In My Eyes You're A Giant which I can relate to bc I'm 5'1

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Ecliptica and Reckoning Night are top tier in my opinion.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Mind sharing your favorites? I've bounced off of Sonata Arctica half a dozen times but they're so well-loved I feel like I must be missing something.

The aforementioned San Sebastian, The Cage, Full Moon, Destruction Preventer come to mind. But it's also very much possible they're just not your jam. They're not really mine anymore either, aside from some individual songs like the ones I mentioned.

For something very similar, try Cain's Offering. It's a couple ex-Sonata Arctica dudes with Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius. Coincidentally, I'm not super fond of his singing either, but at least he's less abrasive than Kakko.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 27, 2023

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
gently caress off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gERIVNyjW1U

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i've never been able to get into sonata arctica but some of their songs off their old albums are pretty good. really like my selene.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Winterheart's Guild, definitely the best.

The dream is alive
I can run up the hills every night
Go around and see another side of the tree
Freedom has a meaning for me
Howl with me

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

While it's definitely a step up from the last few I would prefer another pivot attempt to be honest, the single felt like retreading super familiar ground (in a bad way imo) and as someone mentioned Tony's really fixed up his singing and could do some interesting stuff if the band went in a direction to support it. But I'll take attempts at remaking Silence over whatever the gently caress that last album was any day

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

"My forty year old Warhammer band is cooler than your thirty year old D&D band." :lol:

Appreciate the recs everyone, but it does indeed sound as though Sonata Arctica (not Unlike Bolt Thrower) just isn't for me. I'll stick with Bodom, Kalmah, and Wintersun for my keyboard-drenched neoclassical Finnish metal for now. Thanks again, though, y'all are the goddamn best.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Appreciate the recs everyone, but it does indeed sound as though Sonata Arctica (not Unlike Bolt Thrower) just isn't for me. I'll stick with Bodom, Kalmah, and Wintersun for my keyboard-drenched neoclassical Finnish metal for now. Thanks again, though, y'all are the goddamn best.

Give Ulthima a spin, it's some really really solid Bodom/Kalmah/Norther worship (On that note, listen to Norther, too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1krjknjEClI

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nordick posted:

Give Ulthima a spin, it's some really really solid Bodom/Kalmah/Norther worship (On that note, listen to Norther, too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1krjknjEClI

Getting some Mors Principium Est vibes too, I can definitely gently caress with this.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ultrafilter posted:

Helga - Wrapped in Mist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvAeCCLOzKE

If you like the new Myrkur you'll probably like this too.

this rules btw

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Slam lyric videos are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWkl8VwrotM

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
welcome to the slam crew

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I'll stick with Bodom, Kalmah, and Wintersun for my keyboard-drenched neoclassical Finnish metal for now.

In that case I would highly recommend this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EePImr70Jg

Probably in my top 5 releases of this year. Such a ridiculously fun album.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

This is also pretty cool btw. One of those promotional YT channels said it's "for fans of BLIND GUARDIAN, RUNNING WILD, SKYCLAD, DARK FOREST, DARKEST ERA, THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG, FALCONER" and that pretty much tracks. I'd say the Blind Guardian bit applies more to the really old thrashy/speedy era of BG, tho.

What I'm saying is that if someone looked at the band name and album title and turned away thinking it's some twinkly pm cheese, don't. This poo poo's got some riffs.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nordick posted:

This is also pretty cool btw. One of those promotional YT channels said it's "for fans of BLIND GUARDIAN, RUNNING WILD, SKYCLAD, DARK FOREST, DARKEST ERA, THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG, FALCONER" and that pretty much tracks. I'd say the Blind Guardian bit applies more to the really old thrashy/speedy era of BG, tho.

What I'm saying is that if someone looked at the band name and album title and turned away thinking it's some twinkly pm cheese, don't. This poo poo's got some riffs.

i see falconer i click

also the new cruciamentum is good

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

welcome to the slam crew

gang tag??

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I saw Baroness last night and they loving killed. Never don’t go see Baroness.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
newdas priest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YqZuo1WKk4

Dug the previous album, digging this. Very heartening to see a band that's been going for five decades still able to rip to this extent.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

moxieman posted:

If they come my way I will go see them, not to mention their 2023 album is the first good album they made in many many years

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Kins posted:

newdas priest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YqZuo1WKk4

Dug the previous album, digging this. Very heartening to see a band that's been going for five decades still able to rip to this extent.

gently caress yeah this kicks rear end

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

moxieman posted:

I saw them in Asheville when the tour first started and holy poo poo they are so good live. I wish I got to see them when they were at the milestone in Charlotte 🥲

Didn't care for the opening bands, though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Southern Cassowary posted:

i see falconer i click

Same, except Skyclad.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

First Fragment blew everyone's nips off at Milk Boy in Philly last night. I missed the first opener but caught all of Invicta's set. Their recorded stuff never blew me away, but goddamn did they put on a fantastic live show. Super goofy and good-natured and just overall great vibes. Definitely one to see if you get a chance, dudes have a ton of fun on stage.

FF did an awesome set with a nice mix of old and new stuff and even finished things off with a track from their first ep, which was a cool surprise. Got to chat with the band afterwards (including my bass hero, Dominic, who told me that the 45-minute set they played took six months of daily two-hour practice sessions to nail down, jfc) and everyone was super kind and appreciative and just generally wholesome in that ubiquitously Canadian way. They also confirmed that they're hitting the studio soon to record some new material. I'm officially stoked.

Potato phone photo for posterity:

Tiny venues are the best venues.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

ShoogaSlim posted:

gang tag??

I'm not thrilled about legibility at this size due to video effects. Someone with more skills than me could probably assemble a gif from ~5 frames and timing, or maybe it'd have to be done from scratch, I dunno

Visions of Valerie fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

slam doesn't care about legibility or being able to legib