Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Swerve vs Lethal 4 7.84%
Hook/OC/Shibata vs ExJAS 1 1.96%
Rush vs Jay 31 60.78%
Anna vs Ruby vs Skye 2 3.92%
Mark vs Mox 13 25.49%
Total: 51 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Like the product is cold in places and has some issues so I get where it's coming from as I'm not as high on AEW as I have been in the past but also it's just had it's best business year ever and while I really don't like the MJF stuff it's nowhere near WCW/TNA company killing bad.

Yeah there’s parts of AEW that I don’t like for sure. I think MJF poo poo goes on way too long and there’s too much start and stop with certain people, but I’ve never left an AEW show pissed off. Even the most mid AEW show I can find a handful of things I liked. And the ring work is always good which at the end of the day is what I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Long-Time Lurker posted:

That Bryan Danielson tweet though lol. Did other wrestlers post something similar? Hope it's not a company-wide memo to stand up for AEW.

there's been a few :loveheart: aew/aew saved wrestling tweets

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Dynamite in Montreal needs to be a banger.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Oh now everyone appreciates QT.

everyone iit when qt is on screen: get this jobber of my tv!!
everyone itt now that QT is going away: My beautiful QTV segments!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have always loved QT.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I have always loved QT.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

The_Rob posted:

Yeah there’s parts of AEW that I don’t like for sure. I think MJF poo poo goes on way too long and there’s too much start and stop with certain people, but I’ve never left an AEW show pissed off. Even the most mid AEW show I can find a handful of things I liked. And the ring work is always good which at the end of the day is what I care about.

It's honestly bizarre how pissed off people can get when the product isn't to their liking. I think people might be developing a parasocial relationship with a wrestling company.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
QT rules. I saw him wrestle Kenta at a njpw strong show and we were yelling at him and we asked who said it and we pointed at a kid and he acted like he was gonna hit the kid.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

(quote ! edit)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I liked the QTV segments (hated them at first) and especially liked when Johnny TV was doing them. I'm guessing they'll be done now, which is a shame.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I have always loved QT.

I didn’t at first but he won me over with the qtv segments

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I have always loved QT.

me too brother him doing flips out of nowhere made him one of my guys.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lamuella posted:

what stand up for aew tweets?

there were a couple vague tweets posted by aew wrestlers on the night of punk's debut and I don't think there have been any more other than the one mjf deleted

it's not really a thing yet just saying I hope that doesn't become a thing going forward since 'morale is low' or whatever the one scoop guy said and the vague tweeting by wrestlers and whining about not being used already gets old

the concept of losing cm punk to a competitor making the morale low after he destroyed the locker room a few times is the funniest 'report'

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
QTV deffo got somewhere good at the end, and QT is a perfect gatekeeper heel, he can make people glow. Sucks that he's gone, but I can't fault anyone who has reached their ceiling in AEW for wanting to go elsewhere and be bigger. Like when Danny Limelight was upper AEW Dark bound.

Triple so because while I don't see what Alan Angels is doing, I know it has to be better than the current status of the Dark Order.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Orange Carlisle posted:

the concept of losing cm punk to a competitor making the morale low after he destroyed the locker room a few times is the funniest 'report'

the lyin' fake news dirtsheets must be held accountable

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

the lyin' fake news dirtsheets must be held accountable

you forgot to say shave seltzer or whatever that cringey poo poo is people normally post

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

there is def stuff on aew tv that I dont really care for. but that has been true for the past 4 years.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I think all of this is going to bring the locker room closer together to kick things up and light a fire :shobon:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

While it’s a weird time to post this as everything is on fire, this idea came to mind as something to do during the Continental Classic. With the solid roster (even Lethal) and the occasionally intriguing matchups that are forced to happen via the setup, I thought I would start ranking the week’s matches by how much I'm interested in them.

Play along at home!

6. Jon Moxley vs. Jay Lethal: Lethal has the least amount of juice in this tournament and Moxley is a wrecking ball who has no reason to ever lose to Lethal. Maybe if the rest of Lethal’s stable was allowed, but that’s off the table. Should be a fine match, but there’s nothing especially gripping about it other than what could end up being the shortest match of the tournament.

5. Daniel Garcia vs. Andrade El Idolo: That they just did this match works against it and, in a way, works for it. I’m really invested in Daniel Garcia’s current frustrated and confused losing streak gimmick. That he’s doing that in a block with Eddie Kingston lowkey fascinates me. This could be his moment of clarity and his first step in getting his groove back. Maybe he can make it to a draw. Andrade winning feels like the most boring outcome.

4. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Brody King: I love Claudio and think the world of his in-ring skill, but after Lethal, he’s probably the least interesting guy in this tournament. Luckily, Brody makes for a compelling opponent. It’s the perfect follow-up to Brody vs. Eddie, though it’s sadly the last match for Brody where his opponent can physically stand up to him. I mean, unless he and Mox make it to the finals.

3. Mark Briscoe vs. Rush: This pairing just works. In fact, I’d say that Rush is probably Mark’s most promising opponent. You could easily do a PPV feud with these two and I’d be all for it. There’s almost a “two sides of the same coin” quality with these two as equally brutal dudes where on is self-serious and stylish while the other is a white trash goofball. This feels like a dark horse for match of the week.

2. Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston: I predict this to be the first draw of the tournament as it’s the only match in the whole tournament where two top faces are set to face off and I'm not sure if either should lose. Regardless, the quality of wrestlers means it has to be great with two of the most generous performers in AEW beating the poo poo out of each other. Considering how things are going and with my luck, this will end up putting Bryan on the shelf all over again.

1. Jay White vs. Swerve Strickland: This is the most fascinating match that AEW has put together since maybe the main event of All In. Heel vs. heel is rare enough, but this dynamic is something else. They’re two of the biggest heels in the company, but also two ships passing. You have one guy who just lost a PPV world title shot and really needs a rebound and you have another guy who just won a PPV match that’s meant to propel him up the ladder. I’m really curious where they go with this. Plus it should just be a kickass match to begin with.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Christ, AEW can't catch a loving break

If Max getting injured is the only way to get the title off of him, I'd count that as catching a break.

Gavok posted:

4. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Brody King:

This could be a legit great match and I'm actually excited for it. Just two strong dudes throwing each other around.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

People talking about AEW being on fire* yet Being The Dark Order Episode 1 says otherwise. Curious

* the bad way

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gavok posted:

1. Jay White vs. Swerve Strickland: This is the most fascinating match that AEW has put together since maybe the main event of All In. Heel vs. heel is rare enough, but this dynamic is something else. They’re two of the biggest heels in the company, but also two ships passing. You have one guy who just lost a PPV world title shot and really needs a rebound and you have another guy who just won a PPV match that’s meant to propel him up the ladder. I’m really curious where they go with this. Plus it should just be a kickass match to begin with.

I am seriously so pumped for this match. Two absolute dirtbags in very different ways who can also back up all their shittalk in the ring. It's going to be fantastic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Alan_Shore posted:

People talking about AEW being on fire* yet Being The Dark Order Episode 1 says otherwise. Curious

* the bad way

AEW is infested with murderous birds! They killed Uno's biological father!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Let me book MJF losing. He beats Joe at worlds end but Joe fucks his arm up bad. , Tony comes out really sad and is like, sorry buddy you gotta relinquish you're hurt. MJF says not without a match and a stream or wrestlers come out and MJF takes them on one by one, losing after 2-3 impromptu matches to Swerve.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
do we know when we're getting swerve vs jay? i need to watch it live

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I bought the tickets for the Minneapolis show. Gonna see Swerve and White try to out scumbag each other should be good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

there is def stuff on aew tv that I dont really care for. but that has been true for the past 4 years.

Yeah there is no such thing as a wrestling show where literally everything works. Even the best cards of all time have stinkers on it. Wrestling is a variety show. AEW has mostly been good even when there’s bad stuff

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Quite literally this Wednesday.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Currently scheduled for Dynamite on Wednesday the 29th. It's a Gold Block match.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
hell yesss

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

AEW IS BACK
it never left

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MorningMoon posted:

Danny Limelight

the radioactive papi ??

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Johnny TV has a bit of a new direction on ROH this upcoming week, feels like QTV dies with that.

And QT was always solidly “okay” for me. He bugged me a bit when he talked about not booking more women’s matches because of the “ratio of men to women”, so I do wonder if his departure might also lead to some more women’s matches getting booked:

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/qt-marshall-addresses-criticisms-aew-not-having-enough-women-s-matches-look-ratio?amp

That Bunkhouse match or whatever that he had with Dustin vs Butcher and Blade was loving awesome, though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my main memory of Danny Limelight leaving AEW was that when he did, rovert made some weird comments insinuating he was like, a chomo or something

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I cannot WAIT for Mark Briscoe vs RUSH

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm looking forward to Jay White vs Swerve. Two enormous assholes trying to out-rear end in a top hat each other.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

They’re gonna go nuts; Briscoe was way more violent against Mox than I expected, can’t wait for him to match RUSH’s insane energy.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
there are some awesome matches happening this week :)

i think switch will get housecalled but at some point in 2024 he'll evade it for a big win

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Unless the finals are Mox vs. Kingston I feel like whoever loses this match is going to end up in the finals vs. Danielson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I like aew and am looking forward to dynamite on Wednesday