Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Insanite posted:

currently at a large downtown Boston doctors office.

zero masked white people here.

id estimate that 75% or better of non-white people are maskingIm one of them

what is the deal with this? like, presumably its not just a chud thing when it looks like this in VBNMW enclaves.

just a lifelong confidence in the system working or something?
thats interesting, can you keep paying attention to it? Im in NYC, and it seems to me that people who still mask are almost all white or Asian, and on the bougie side. tbf my neighborhood in Queens is mostly Asian and (immigrant) white, and gentrifying but not there yet

Anne Whateley has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

thats interesting, can you keep paying attention to it? Im in NYC, and it seems to me that people who still mask are almost all white or Asian, and on the bougie side. tbf my neighborhood in Queens is mostly Asian and (immigrant) white, and gentrifying but not there yet

Im a Covid thread poster. I cant not pay attention to it. 🫡

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Drake no: bird flu

Drake yes: Swine flu

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

Drake no: bird flu

Drake yes: Swine flu

we can close the swine flu immunity gap

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

My surgery got postponed indefinitely so someone else could have an emergency transplant. Already been almost two weeks since I had the heart attack. Sigh

That is loving bullshit and I hope you're able to get the medical treatment you need soon :ohdear:

fosborb posted:

2 year old nephew is staying the night in the hospital with rsv, flu and covid (negative for strep!)

he of course most likely caught all that at last week's funeral for his cousin, who was an extremely immunocompromised 8 year old battling a lung infection and covid (caught most likely from his visiting grandparents!) overwhelmed his body within 2 days

been a long week

jesus christ :smith:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Why Am I So Tired posted:

A new short but reference-packed John Snow Project article.

https://johnsnowproject.org/insights/where-are-our-leaders/

I really like the John Snow Project because they put a lot of effort into sourcing their claims.

that said lol good luck with this

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My mom just tested positive and got on Paxlovid too. The cool thing is her employer generously gave her TWO days off

She works in an elementary school

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

make sure to disable her in-classroom hepa filters so that all children develop their immunity wall equally =)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

My mom just tested positive and got on Paxlovid too. The cool thing is her employer generously gave her TWO days off

She works in an elementary school

if your mother doesnt get those children sick, who will?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
my coworker just got back after two weeks of the sickest she's ever been, she said. fever of >100 degrees, white spots on throat, pain, malaise, low energy, horrible coughs, etc. negative for covid (3x including pcr), flu, strep, tonsillitis, etc. maybe just awful rsv? anyway in danger

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
also i've been heinously slammed at work so not posting here but: i hope you are all well. i hope you are healthy. i love my covid thread friends and want only the best for all of you.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Petey posted:

i hope you are all well. i hope you are healthy. i love my covid thread friends and want only the best for all of you.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://english.news.cn/20231126/cc3041b60572468abe5d1571d44634c7/c.html posted:

China's increase in acute respiratory illnesses caused by several pathogens: health official

The continued increase in acute respiratory illnesses reported recently in China is caused by various respiratory pathogens, according to a Chinese health official on Sunday.

Mi Feng, a spokesperson with the National Health Commission, told a press conference that the recent respiratory infectious diseases are mainly due to the influenza virus, with additional cases caused by rhinoviruses, mycoplasma pneumoniae, respiratory syncytial virus, and adenovirus.

:smugdog:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-variant-ba-2-86-triples-in-new-cdc-estimates/ posted:

COVID variant BA.2.86 triples in new CDC estimates, now 8.8% of cases(..)
Data from recent weeks tallied from the GISAID virus database suggests as much as a third of COVID-19 variants reported from labs in the U.S. have been of JN.1.

"Currently, JN.1 is the most common version of BA.2.86 in the U.S. CDC projects BA.2.86 and its offshoots like JN.1 will continue to increase as a proportion of SARS-CoV-2 genomic sequences," CDC spokesperson Jasmine Reed told CBS News in an email.
(..)

In comparison here are the Danish percentages of JN.1 (the weeks are all incomplete going from ~66% down to ~15% sequenced). From the first to the last week cases have doubled.

and BA.2.86 excluding JN.1:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
It's all omicronBA.2.86.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
jfc
"Study: Spike in premature births caused by COVID, halted by vaccines"

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-11-spike-premature-births-covid-halted.html posted:

COVID-19 caused an alarming surge in premature births, but vaccines were key to returning the early birth rate to pre-pandemic levels, according to a new analysis of California birth records.

"The effect of maternal COVID infection from the onset of the pandemic into 2023 is large, increasing the risk of preterm births over that time by 1.2 percentage points," says Jenna Nobles, a University of WisconsinMadison sociology professor. "To move the needle on preterm birth that much is akin to a disastrous environmental exposure, like weeks of breathing intense wildfire smoke."
(..)
As the virus spread from July to November of 2020, the likelihood that a mother with COVID-19 in California would give birth more than three weeks before the due date was 5.4 percentage points higher than anticipated12.3% instead of 6.9%according to the new study.
(..)
"And we found similar increases, of about 38%, in the risk of very preterm birththat is pre-32 weekswhen a child is likely to need neonatal intensive care, with the possibility of developmental delays and serious implications for their families as well," Nobles said.
(..)
"This is still an evolving epidemic, and the rate of vaccine boosters among pregnant people right now is very low," Nobles says.

"The question is, how many more iterations of viral evolution does this need to escape the immunity that we have? It's miraculous and incredible that we're now down to essentially zero additional preterm births, but it does not indicate that it's going to be that way in perpetuity."

I will say though, that it feels like something is missing from their data, presumably prior infection. In the research proper they state that at the end of their data 70% had been vaccinated (the data is entirely from California), so I assume the remainder have been infected at the very least.

Research proper:
"Vaccination, immunity, and the changing impact of COVID-19 on infant health"

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2311573120 posted:

(..)

Sibling fixed-effects models for the effect of COVID-19 infection during pregnancy on preterm birth (<37 wk of gestation) over the course of the pandemic. California births July 2020 to February 2023. Solid and hollow circles are parameter estimates, vertical lines are 95% CIs. Fixed-effects model comparing sibling(s) exposed to maternal COVID-19 infection during pregnancy with unexposed sibling(s). Controls for mothers educational attainment, age, quartile of zip code of residence SES disadvantage, birth order, and year of birth included. Robust SEs clustered by birthing person. Births occurring March 2020 to June 2020 excluded from the analysis due to unobserved maternal COVID-19 infections. Sample restricted to singleton births. Source: California Natality Data.
(..)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
every one of these findings represents 10+ years of public health as an entire discipline's labor just absolutely demolishing so much time, energy, resources, and lives

all for Applebees

honey

Applebees

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gunshow Poophole posted:

every one of these findings represents 10+ years of public health as an entire discipline's labor just absolutely demolishing so much time, energy, resources, and lives

all for Applebees

honey

Applebees

The defeated Crusader to Saladin: "What is Jerusalem worth?"

Saladin, victorious: "Nothing............................................... Applebee's."

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Yeah, the wechat feeds out here are working overtime selling the "immunity debt" myth out here.

It's might hold too; China did bother to lock down after all.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Survived surgery at least. it was triple bypass and I am currently heavily drugged. I am talking via avoice to text

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Survived surgery at least. it was triple bypass and I am currently heavily drugged. I am talking via avoice to text

:blessed:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

:bisonyes:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
enjoy your morphine button. mash that thing!

my nephrectomy is in 4 days just in time for prime post thanksgiving coviding

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tell your voice to text machine that i said gently caress you

congratulations

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

:hellyeah:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

good news: you're alive

bad news: world's still the same as before

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

You're a very good posting pal and I'm delighted you made it back. Get some rest. <3

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Hell yeah bud.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
yay for another pal survived

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

:blessed:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

get well soon king, enjoy the drugs

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

yay you did it FortuneateSexFart!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

You loving rock! So happy for you. :glomp:

E:

Old Swerdlow posted:

Their CAN99 mask is my favourite respirator to wear, it fits my face much better than auras.
https://shop.vitacore.ca/collections/frontpage/products/can99-9500
Same. It's my go to, and has protected me so far. Love it. Straps have never broke/separated from the mask, and they are quite reusable (I seldom wear one longer than 1-2 hours the odd day).

Kragger99 has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Nov 28, 2023

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Vitacore is having a cyber Monday sale today; 20% off all orders.

https://shop.vitacore.ca

Their CAN99 mask is my favourite respirator to wear, it fits my face much better than auras.

https://shop.vitacore.ca/collections/frontpage/products/can99-9500

I havent ordered yet, it may be a problem on my end, but the 20% discount isnt being applied to my order.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Here's to a swift recovery! You got this!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

may you recover swiftly and easily

thanks for keeping us updated

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

My brother in his 40s had a heart attack last November while playing hockey requiring a double bypass. By summer he was back on the ice.

Just take it easy during recovery. Your doctors will stress not to overextend your chest muscles during healing as that can tear the chest muscles and require additional surgery and longer recovery. Sending you goon vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

hell yeah thanks for surviving