Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

Personally, I like the idea that cyberpsychosis is just what happens when you turn yourself into a bipedal tank capable of atomising everyone around you without breaking a sweat, and then work in a job where you routinely murder people to take their stuff.

Right. It's not an artificial leg that's the problem, it's overclocking your nervous system because capitalism demands it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CitizenKeen posted:

Triangle Agency looks like my jam: https://triangle-agency.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/

Anybody know anything about it?

There’s an ashcan version on itch.io you can download.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

DalaranJ posted:

There’s an ashcan version on itch.io you can download.

Awesome. I can work with that. Thank you!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sebmojo posted:

Guy got bonzi buddy'd, took two squads to bring him down

Doesn't help I've been on and off messing about with a Mega Man Battle Network riff. Playable Bonzi Buddy.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Was there a dedicated thread for the Dune board game and the accompanying online client (https://treachery.online/), or did I just imagine that?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

kalel posted:

Was there a dedicated thread for the Dune board game and the accompanying online client (https://treachery.online/), or did I just imagine that?
It's here

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thank you :kiss:

weird, I thought there was more to it

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
TLDR; there is no real reason for this post, it's more of internal ranting out loud because I spent way too much money and thought I'd follow up from my last post.

So a few weeks ago I made a post about how I hadn't touched an RPG in roughly two decades, and how I wanted to get into a system to learn and hopefully do a "if you GM it they will come" sort of quest for a local group. Still have that hope, but I fell off the deep end. After I made that post and got some feedback, I downloaded some quickstarts and bought a few PDFs and sampled playing out a very basic setup. Not really playing it solo, just building a couple characters, putting them into a couple scenes to roll some combat and skill checks, and then advancing them.

That led me to realizing my original thought of finding a single generic-ish system I could use didn't really matter so much to me, I cared more about how the combined system made me feel when playing it out through those encounters. Or in other cases the lore/world and I cared more about having some premade stuff (beasts, spells, equipment, etc...) and worlds to creating my own. Basically I'd rather play a game specialized in space opera, another game specialized in fantasy, and so on and so on. Of course I imagine that would make it harder to find players in the long run jumping between systems, but hey that's a problem for after I've crossed step 1 (actually playing something in the first place).

But then I fell off the deep end, and between impulse buys and black friday sales I've bought books (actual books, not just the pdfs) for:

Household - Really not sure how I feel about the system but dear god the lore pulled me in like very little else. I spent a day after reading just the main book wishing I could jump into a game playing out the player characters acting as army scouts campaign against the "white dragon", complete with hex crawl resource gathering to build a settlement at the pond, and a desperate defense of the final battle. Or a swashbuckling privateers fighting over the bath drain trade. Or a "wilderness" survival trying to get home after the stairwell train crash. And I don't care if the world doesn't have airships, I'll make it happen for a sky pirate adventure around the chandelier city. Did you read me properly? Chandelier sky pirates!

Wildsea - Impulse buy for the beautiful artwork and concept

WFRP 4e - Really like the feel, job system, and spells. Kind of hits the high points of everything I think I want out of an ideal fantasy system except for being a bit too crunchy and not the biggest fan of d100.

L5R 5e - Partially an impulse buy for lore, but also really interested in actually playing it.

Pirate and Orc Borg - Stupid purchases, bought because they were on sale while buying other stuff and I wanted to see the art while being weak to pirates and space scifi. Will almost certainly admire them visually and then never touch again.

Delta Green - Not a fan of Cthulhu mythos but was sold on the concept of extending the horror from the pulp to the terrible human poo poo we have to do to keep people safe angle.

Spire - Impulse buy for the lore

Heart - Was getting Spire and liked the concept

DIE - Was getting Spire and liked the concept. Has so far turned into another special thing for me, both from the idea that you'd basically only be able to play this as designed with a group of people you've already played extensively with to the D&D-esque classes taken to the extreme

Swords of the Serpentine - Impulse buy after reading glowing words about it. Also am kind of fascinated by the system but need to do a deeper read through.

Night's Black Agents & Dracula Dossier - Impulse buy more for the Dracula material

Electric & Mythic Bastionland - A bit of an impulse buy due to the timing of the kickstarter for Mythic bastionland, but also had heard good things about Electric Bastionland. Haven't actually read these yet, other than the Mythic free stuff that has been released for the kickstarter.

EzD6 - I wanted something that would fill in the super easy to run category, even for kids, and the opened ended "make up whatever works" structure (especially for magic) that wasn't even tied down as much as in say a PBTA or FATE.

Star Trek Adventures - Comments from last post made me check out 2d20. Not a fan of the metacurrency but like just about everything else. Honestly was more interested in the Dune lore, but can't even imagine how I'd run a Dune game and even though I'm not obsessive about Star Trek as some people like me might be, it's not a stretch to say I was raised on early computers and Star Trek The Next Generation. Since Modiphius had a sale I bought it and a couple of the lore books along with the first mission pack. Will probably be worth it even if I only read it for nostalgia.

Honor + Intrigue - Probably my most favorite system I actually played through (as noted at the top) and ended up buying. Simplified attributes, only a few stats to extend the combat rules, and actual interesting combat for someone not slinging spells.

Blades in the Dark, Band of Blades, and Scum & Villainy - For some reason the FitD system is really compelling to me. Had planned to only buy one of these but I think we've established impulse control was not my strong suit in November.

Twilight 2k - I enjoy board wargames but have never been able to get into tactical level games and honestly bought this just to see if I could get into from that angle, perhaps even replacing the combat system with a miniatures system and using the RPG as the story structure.

Forbidden Lands - Impulse buy for the survival hex crawl mechanics, which surprisingly tickled my interest despite generally hating everything associated with that in D&D (inventory tracking, light levels, excessive random encounters, etc...).

Vaesen - Impulse buy for a horror-ish RPG that looks amazing, touches a subject I know nothing about, and isn't Cthulhu. Hit this one before I dug into Delta Green, although I think I'd still prefer this one and only bought Delta Green thanks to the Black Friday deal.

Eclipse Phase 2e - The sci-fi option that really excites me. Not sure how much I like the system (or don't like it), got massively distracted by the transhumanist character options but this sparked my imagination for anything in the Cyberpunk to future space adventuers field more than anything else individually in those categories.

Ironsworn - Despite being at the bottom this was my first actual purchase, on the idea of trying out a well regarded solo system to maybe ease into RPGs before jumping into another system and finding a group. I'm sure a wise idea if I was a better person.

Heroes of Adventure - Honorable mention as this one is free, but one of two direct OSR related games I found that I think I'd actually want to play (the other being Shadowdark). Also no interest in the system but really enjoyed reading the GM sections of the Without Number books.

Lancer - Also another honorable mention, only because I'm going to wait for the book reprint next year rather than trying to dig around for an older physical copy now but I already know I want it. For the lore and mech combat fun.

Plus some setting/story books:
The two additional Household books
Ultraviolet Grasslands 2e
Oz
Neverland
Dark of Hot Spring Islands
WFRP Enemy Within Vol 1 - 3 books
Night's Black Agents Dracula Dossier
Delta Green Impossible Odds and Night at the Opera books
Vaesen Britain and Ireland (I think) book
Raven Forbidden Lands campaign setting
And a few L5R books

And just for good luck there are a few other games that I'd be interested in looking into, mostly PBTA which overall didn't really excite me. PBTA wise that's Legacy, Spirit of '77, Armour Astir, The Between, and Unknown Armies. Other than that I couldn't wrap my head around the feel of a Genesys game in my solo test attempts, I could see myself liking some of it's settings and/or the Star Wars RPG but was able to hold off actually impulse buying anything.

I went from owning two cheap books from two cheap softcover books from Victory By Any Means (purchased in the 2000s) and the Wicked Ones kickstarter PDFs, to (once arrived) filling up a few book shelves and maybe a Kallax square. No, I don't have a problem. Seriously. Honestly I set a cap on my spending in the form of thou shalt not spend below this level on the bank account, and then I wasn't thinking about the week before last being a payday week and thus my line in the sand became significantly further away than originally planned when the paycheck hit the bank.

Have also found out through this process that I don't think I could ever run a straight up dungeon crawl or standard issue adventure module. I literally can't finish reading them unless it's a real short dungeon crawl and even then my only thought is how useful it'd be to just turn into a random encounter in a bigger campaign. Watching Sly Flourish's Lazy DM prep videos has shown me the strength of turning those into a fresh/new story in it's own right which might be something to explore in the future. I really need to find some equivalent videos for non-Dungeon Crawl games.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That's a pretty great selection!. A couple of things stood out to me:

You can play DIE without the group being long-standing; you create characters for the fictional RPG group and then create the characters they play in DIE. While you can play off or exaggerate an existing group dynamic, you're supposed to create an almost toxic one that then fuels drama in the game within a game. It's quite demanding but to me it felt a bit like playing the world wide wrestling RPG where you play the wrestler's character but you can also play the real person backstage if you want.

If you're not that into Lovecraft mythos stuff, Delta Green can also do the X-Files really well

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

nessin posted:

Delta Green - Not a fan of Cthulhu mythos but was sold on the concept of extending the horror from the pulp to the terrible human poo poo we have to do to keep people safe angle.

Seconding Delta Green. I'm pretty new to GMing (started a DG campaign around the start of the year. Before that, nothing) but we've been having fun with DG! I'm not super big on typical Cthulhu-esque stuff either, to be honest. However as Tarnop said, it can do a real good job of creating an X-Files kinda feel, rather than being a regular Cthulhu setting.

That being said though, it CAN also borrow a lot from Call of Cthulhu, if you like. For example, I've taken a bunch from one of the bigger CoC campaigns and stripped some of the links to the greater Cthulhu Mythos out of it, so that it's more of a standalone 'great one' typed entity, without any solid/obvious evidence of other similar entities currently in existence. (Also adding in some hints of this thing's influence in one or two otherwise unrelated missions, if players can find them)
So that forms the foundation of the overarching campaign, with standalone side missions and mini-arcs, etc. interspersed between. (Now that I think about it, the campaign's "villain" kinda reminds me of the two main Big Bads from the Black Company books in a way, if anyone here has read them) So a lot of it is regular DG material or stuff I've come up with, but a large part is also repurposed CoC stuff. So yeah, even though you're not a fan of the Mythos, there's still a lot of good material made for CoC that could be leveraged for use in DG. And yeah as you said, the "horror in what we do to keep people safe" is a pretty good part of the system. Even better if the character (and player!) is freaked out and nearly kills a civilian by accident! The group trauma/conversation following that just writes itself, haha :D

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
So in addition to looking like absolute poo poo and changing all links to 404s, the DTRPG redesign literally breaks checkout

I had to find a (explicitly temporary!) workaround on Reddit just to be able to input codes from some Kickstarters

It's "reassign the value of cookie 'phnx_test_group_12' to '99999'" in case anyone else is in the same boat

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ironsworn/Starforged feels a little like a freeform pbta fork with oracles and a new dice resolution system tailormade to enable a greater degree of variability in results than flat 2d6+modifiers. And it does support GM+party play, even if determining target numbers is randomized.

It winds up being a very flexible and robust generic rules-light system.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

nessin posted:

TLDR; there is no real reason for this post, it's more of internal ranting out loud because I spent way too much money and thought I'd follow up from my last post.

So a few weeks ago I made a post about how I hadn't touched an RPG in roughly two decades, and how I wanted to get into a system to learn and hopefully do a "if you GM it they will come" sort of quest for a local group. Still have that hope, but I fell off the deep end. After I made that post and got some feedback, I downloaded some quickstarts and bought a few PDFs and sampled playing out a very basic setup. Not really playing it solo, just building a couple characters, putting them into a couple scenes to roll some combat and skill checks, and then advancing them.

That led me to realizing my original thought of finding a single generic-ish system I could use didn't really matter so much to me, I cared more about how the combined system made me feel when playing it out through those encounters. Or in other cases the lore/world and I cared more about having some premade stuff (beasts, spells, equipment, etc...) and worlds to creating my own. Basically I'd rather play a game specialized in space opera, another game specialized in fantasy, and so on and so on. Of course I imagine that would make it harder to find players in the long run jumping between systems, but hey that's a problem for after I've crossed step 1 (actually playing something in the first place).

But then I fell off the deep end, and between impulse buys and black friday sales I've bought books (actual books, not just the pdfs) for:

Household - Really not sure how I feel about the system but dear god the lore pulled me in like very little else. I spent a day after reading just the main book wishing I could jump into a game playing out the player characters acting as army scouts campaign against the "white dragon", complete with hex crawl resource gathering to build a settlement at the pond, and a desperate defense of the final battle. Or a swashbuckling privateers fighting over the bath drain trade. Or a "wilderness" survival trying to get home after the stairwell train crash. And I don't care if the world doesn't have airships, I'll make it happen for a sky pirate adventure around the chandelier city. Did you read me properly? Chandelier sky pirates!

Wildsea - Impulse buy for the beautiful artwork and concept

WFRP 4e - Really like the feel, job system, and spells. Kind of hits the high points of everything I think I want out of an ideal fantasy system except for being a bit too crunchy and not the biggest fan of d100.

L5R 5e - Partially an impulse buy for lore, but also really interested in actually playing it.

Pirate and Orc Borg - Stupid purchases, bought because they were on sale while buying other stuff and I wanted to see the art while being weak to pirates and space scifi. Will almost certainly admire them visually and then never touch again.

Spire - Impulse buy for the lore

Heart - Was getting Spire and liked the concept

DIE - Was getting Spire and liked the concept. Has so far turned into another special thing for me, both from the idea that you'd basically only be able to play this as designed with a group of people you've already played extensively with to the D&D-esque classes taken to the extreme

Swords of the Serpentine - Impulse buy after reading glowing words about it. Also am kind of fascinated by the system but need to do a deeper read through.

Night's Black Agents & Dracula Dossier - Impulse buy more for the Dracula material

Electric & Mythic Bastionland - A bit of an impulse buy due to the timing of the kickstarter for Mythic bastionland, but also had heard good things about Electric Bastionland. Haven't actually read these yet, other than the Mythic free stuff that has been released for the kickstarter.

EzD6 - I wanted something that would fill in the super easy to run category, even for kids, and the opened ended "make up whatever works" structure (especially for magic) that wasn't even tied down as much as in say a PBTA or FATE.

Star Trek Adventures - Comments from last post made me check out 2d20. Not a fan of the metacurrency but like just about everything else. Honestly was more interested in the Dune lore, but can't even imagine how I'd run a Dune game and even though I'm not obsessive about Star Trek as some people like me might be, it's not a stretch to say I was raised on early computers and Star Trek The Next Generation. Since Modiphius had a sale I bought it and a couple of the lore books along with the first mission pack. Will probably be worth it even if I only read it for nostalgia.

Honor + Intrigue - Probably my most favorite system I actually played through (as noted at the top) and ended up buying. Simplified attributes, only a few stats to extend the combat rules, and actual interesting combat for someone not slinging spells.

Blades in the Dark, Band of Blades, and Scum & Villainy - For some reason the FitD system is really compelling to me. Had planned to only buy one of these but I think we've established impulse control was not my strong suit in November.

Twilight 2k - I enjoy board wargames but have never been able to get into tactical level games and honestly bought this just to see if I could get into from that angle, perhaps even replacing the combat system with a miniatures system and using the RPG as the story structure.

Forbidden Lands - Impulse buy for the survival hex crawl mechanics, which surprisingly tickled my interest despite generally hating everything associated with that in D&D (inventory tracking, light levels, excessive random encounters, etc...).

Vaesen - Impulse buy for a horror-ish RPG that looks amazing, touches a subject I know nothing about, and isn't Cthulhu. Hit this one before I dug into Delta Green, although I think I'd still prefer this one and only bought Delta Green thanks to the Black Friday deal.

Eclipse Phase 2e - The sci-fi option that really excites me. Not sure how much I like the system (or don't like it), got massively distracted by the transhumanist character options but this sparked my imagination for anything in the Cyberpunk to future space adventuers field more than anything else individually in those categories.

Ironsworn - Despite being at the bottom this was my first actual purchase, on the idea of trying out a well regarded solo system to maybe ease into RPGs before jumping into another system and finding a group. I'm sure a wise idea if I was a better person.

Heroes of Adventure - Honorable mention as this one is free, but one of two direct OSR related games I found that I think I'd actually want to play (the other being Shadowdark). Also no interest in the system but really enjoyed reading the GM sections of the Without Number books.

Lancer - Also another honorable mention, only because I'm going to wait for the book reprint next year rather than trying to dig around for an older physical copy now but I already know I want it. For the lore and mech combat fun.

Plus some setting/story books:
The two additional Household books
Ultraviolet Grasslands 2e
Oz
Neverland
Dark of Hot Spring Islands
WFRP Enemy Within Vol 1 - 3 books
Night's Black Agents Dracula Dossier
Delta Green Impossible Odds and Night at the Opera books
Vaesen Britain and Ireland (I think) book
Raven Forbidden Lands campaign setting
And a few L5R books

And just for good luck there are a few other games that I'd be interested in looking into, mostly PBTA which overall didn't really excite me. PBTA wise that's Legacy, Spirit of '77, Armour Astir, The Between, and Unknown Armies. Other than that I couldn't wrap my head around the feel of a Genesys game in my solo test attempts, I could see myself liking some of it's settings and/or the Star Wars RPG but was able to hold off actually impulse buying anything.

I went from owning two cheap books from two cheap softcover books from Victory By Any Means (purchased in the 2000s) and the Wicked Ones kickstarter PDFs, to (once arrived) filling up a few book shelves and maybe a Kallax square. No, I don't have a problem. Seriously. Honestly I set a cap on my spending in the form of thou shalt not spend below this level on the bank account, and then I wasn't thinking about the week before last being a payday week and thus my line in the sand became significantly further away than originally planned when the paycheck hit the bank.

Have also found out through this process that I don't think I could ever run a straight up dungeon crawl or standard issue adventure module. I literally can't finish reading them unless it's a real short dungeon crawl and even then my only thought is how useful it'd be to just turn into a random encounter in a bigger campaign. Watching Sly Flourish's Lazy DM prep videos has shown me the strength of turning those into a fresh/new story in it's own right which might be something to explore in the future. I really need to find some equivalent videos for non-Dungeon Crawl games.

Also, if you're into pirate stuff (as I am, and you seem to be), there's an expansion for Ironsworn: Starforged that's being developed for that style called Sundered Isles.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Tarnop posted:

That's a pretty great selection!. A couple of things stood out to me:

You can play DIE without the group being long-standing; you create characters for the fictional RPG group and then create the characters they play in DIE. While you can play off or exaggerate an existing group dynamic, you're supposed to create an almost toxic one that then fuels drama in the game within a game. It's quite demanding but to me it felt a bit like playing the world wide wrestling RPG where you play the wrestler's character but you can also play the real person backstage if you want.

If you're not that into Lovecraft mythos stuff, Delta Green can also do the X-Files really well

I didn't mean you needed along standing group, I just feel like you're roleplaying a extreme stereotype of a class, roleplaying your actual character, and roleplaying your group dynamic, and the big bad is your actual game master. That's a lot of assumed inbuilt factors to jump into for a group that's never played together. It just feels like trying to play DIE without a group that has at least played a couple sessions of another game would be basically playing a different game, like a hack of DIE instead of DIE itself.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Also, if you're into pirate stuff (as I am, and you seem to be), there's an expansion for Ironsworn: Starforged that's being developed for that style called Sundered Isles.

I'd have bought Starsworn if the book was available. Probably will when the next printing hits and it's available again.

Major Isoor posted:

Seconding Delta Green. I'm pretty new to GMing (started a DG campaign around the start of the year. Before that, nothing) but we've been having fun with DG! I'm not super big on typical Cthulhu-esque stuff either, to be honest. However as Tarnop said, it can do a real good job of creating an X-Files kinda feel, rather than being a regular Cthulhu setting.

That being said though, it CAN also borrow a lot from Call of Cthulhu, if you like. For example, I've taken a bunch from one of the bigger CoC campaigns and stripped some of the links to the greater Cthulhu Mythos out of it, so that it's more of a standalone 'great one' typed entity, without any solid/obvious evidence of other similar entities currently in existence. (Also adding in some hints of this thing's influence in one or two otherwise unrelated missions, if players can find them)
So that forms the foundation of the overarching campaign, with standalone side missions and mini-arcs, etc. interspersed between. (Now that I think about it, the campaign's "villain" kinda reminds me of the two main Big Bads from the Black Company books in a way, if anyone here has read them) So a lot of it is regular DG material or stuff I've come up with, but a large part is also repurposed CoC stuff. So yeah, even though you're not a fan of the Mythos, there's still a lot of good material made for CoC that could be leveraged for use in DG. And yeah as you said, the "horror in what we do to keep people safe" is a pretty good part of the system. Even better if the character (and player!) is freaked out and nearly kills a civilian by accident! The group trauma/conversation following that just writes itself, haha :D

I probably could have been clearer, it isn't so much the Cthulhu mythos I have a problem with as the adventures that it dictates. The sort of distant unimaginable sanity destroying horror or eroding/corrupting influence from the distance. I'm more okay with Delta Green because it seems more built to actually confronting the horror versus stopping it and the after effects of all that implies. You go insane from observing the thing in the distance with Cthulhu, whereas you go insane from what you did to stop the thing in the distance with Delta Green. Or at least that's been my interpretation so far.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

nessin posted:

I didn't mean you needed along standing group, I just feel like you're roleplaying a extreme stereotype of a class, roleplaying your actual character, and roleplaying your group dynamic, and the big bad is your actual game master. That's a lot of assumed inbuilt factors to jump into for a group that's never played together. It just feels like trying to play DIE without a group that has at least played a couple sessions of another game would be basically playing a different game, like a hack of DIE instead of DIE itself.

Ah ok, that makes sense and I agree that it's a game that needs a high level of group trust.

Also you should read the comic it's based on, it's great and has a lot of interesting things to say about the history and nature of RPGs

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nessin posted:

I probably could have been clearer, it isn't so much the Cthulhu mythos I have a problem with as the adventures that it dictates. The sort of distant unimaginable sanity destroying horror or eroding/corrupting influence from the distance. I'm more okay with Delta Green because it seems more built to actually confronting the horror versus stopping it and the after effects of all that implies. You go insane from observing the thing in the distance with Cthulhu, whereas you go insane from what you did to stop the thing in the distance with Delta Green. Or at least that's been my interpretation so far.

In practice, most of the CoC adventures are also usually that. CoC grogs sometimes like to wank on about how CoC is totally about the inevitable descent into madness and the futility of actually doing anything, but it's a pose. Inflating how dark and grim and dangerous the game they play is makes their peepees feel big.

Pretty much every CoC adventure I've read, played or run puts you in a difficult horror situation, but also usually provides a path to surviving it and neutralizing whatever the problem is. TBH I'd say on average the few DG scenarios I've read are more depressing than the CoC ones.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I would say horror games in general need a higher amount of group trust and mutual group buy-in. At bare minimum, your group should have a talk about tone; do you want to play more spooky-action "the PCs will almost certainly win and stop the evil but someone might die" games, "the scenario is challenging and the PCs may not be able to win but there is a realistic possibility of success" games, or "nothing good will happen and the PCs are doomed" games in the style of Trophy Dark? Also, obviously, discussing subject matter and establishing lines and veils, to make sure specific sensitive content is off the table, but that's a good policy for everything.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I suspect Delta Green has the added sense of power and agency from being renegade Feds instead of “some assholes”. The comment about CoC adventures is correct: even many of the original lovecraft stories took a break from terror of the Portuguese to resolve the story’s conflict. Often with an intimation that the resolution was temporary or fleeting— but hey!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
An image request:

Years ago, I was reading a buddy's Rifts books and found one that introduced a new class option called a Freelancer. There was a comic panel in there I seem to remember that said something like, "You can't stop a freelancer!" Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and if that's a real thing, can you post that panel? A phone photo is fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Was it the "freelance spy" OCC? I can't find anything like a "Freelancer" OCC with a bit of searching

Maybe skim these lists and see if anything stands out
https://rifts.fandom.com/wiki/O.C.C.s

The Spy OCC, of which there are flavors including freelance, is from Rifts: Mercenaries, which doesn't seem to have been included on the above wiki page, making me think that wiki page is (bizarrely, considering how fandom pages work) an incomplete list

Alien Rope Burn did a FATAL & Friends of Rifts: Mercenaries, archived here

last edit: based on a quick skim, there's nothing in RIFTS: Mercenaries like what you describe. None of the art even has captions, and the only text I found was a guy with a "Smile, you're dead" badge on. I think this must not be the book you're thinking of. :shrug:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 29, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

nessin posted:

I'd have bought Starsworn if the book was available. Probably will when the next printing hits and it's available again.

Ohhu, yep I get ya - I actually feel the same way about that too. You're spot on by the way, as that's precisely how it's been working out for us. It's a good system for that type of gradual sanity loss, IMO. Especially with the 'home vignettes' and 'breakpoint' disorders you can get, which gradually gently caress up your character's home life the more you let things spiral out of control. (Although with the breakpoints, if you're thinking of running a campaign and not one-shots, I'd limit it to one BP per person, per mission),

Man, this talk is just making me want to play more DG, but I'm not likely to be able to before Jan...

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

AmiYumi posted:

So in addition to looking like absolute poo poo and changing all links to 404s, the DTRPG redesign literally breaks checkout

I had to find a (explicitly temporary!) workaround on Reddit just to be able to input codes from some Kickstarters

It's "reassign the value of cookie 'phnx_test_group_12' to '99999'" in case anyone else is in the same boat

The redesign is so bad.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Wanderer posted:

An image request:

Years ago, I was reading a buddy's Rifts books and found one that introduced a new class option called a Freelancer. There was a comic panel in there I seem to remember that said something like, "You can't stop a freelancer!" Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and if that's a real thing, can you post that panel? A phone photo is fine.

It's from Dimension Book 1: Wormwood-

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Nice. The only Rifts comic with words I could think of was the one Ramon Perez drew.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

There was one in the Triax/NGR book as well, off the top of my head.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Megazver posted:

In practice, most of the CoC adventures are also usually that. CoC grogs sometimes like to wank on about how CoC is totally about the inevitable descent into madness and the futility of actually doing anything, but it's a pose. Inflating how dark and grim and dangerous the game they play is makes their peepees feel big.

Pretty much every CoC adventure I've read, played or run puts you in a difficult horror situation, but also usually provides a path to surviving it and neutralizing whatever the problem is. TBH I'd say on average the few DG scenarios I've read are more depressing than the CoC ones.

Funny thing is even Lovecraft's own works don't actually dip into what the stereotype about the Cthulhu Mythos is all that often and indeed there's actually quite a few stories where people fight back against the eldritch horrors with at least some effectiveness

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

drrockso20 posted:

Funny thing is even Lovecraft's own works don't actually dip into what the stereotype about the Cthulhu Mythos is all that often and indeed there's actually quite a few stories where people fight back against the eldritch horrors with at least some effectiveness
As many people like to point out, the titular story for Call of Cthulhu has a character defeat Cthulhu and escape by ramming him with a boat (like a scene in a Michael Bay action movie). The party in The Dunwich Horror actually does kill the horror and foils the plot. The idea that the only way to be true to Lovecraft is the ashes-and-sackcloth-and-despair approach is pretty much disproved by the actual text of Lovecraft's most important Mythos stories.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Huh. That is amazingly hard to find on the web. It's weird that there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive, complete list of RIFTS OCCs, right? Normally you can count on nerds to exhaustively document such things.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FMguru posted:

As many people like to point out, the titular story for Call of Cthulhu has a character defeat Cthulhu and escape by ramming him with a boat (like a scene in a Michael Bay action movie). The party in The Dunwich Horror actually does kill the horror and foils the plot. The idea that the only way to be true to Lovecraft is the ashes-and-sackcloth-and-despair approach is pretty much disproved by the actual text of Lovecraft's most important Mythos stories.

Or how in The Whisperer In Darkness the Migo are repeatedly foiled by a single guy with shotguns and a bunch of vicious dogs

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. That is amazingly hard to find on the web. It's weird that there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive, complete list of RIFTS OCCs, right? Normally you can count on nerds to exhaustively document such things.

I feel like even within the Rifts world/fandom, Wormwood is niche. There was a mercenary Holy Terror in Rifts: Mercenaries (which was a fairly early book in the line), but after that I think any references to Wormwood were pretty thin on the ground.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

FMguru posted:

Yeah, this is an important point. I think some of the despair comes from the idea that humans are so small compared to the rest of the universe and we can't deal with these huge existential threats permanently, but that ignores that not every Lovecraftian threat is a Great Old One (and you can, say, put down your local Mi-Gos with a shotgun), and that even temporary victories against the greater powers can be huge by human standards. "We stopped a summoning ritual that would have destroyed half the city, and the stars won't be right for another attempt for a century, so Shub-Niggurath isn't showing up within our lifetime" is a major victory even if you didn't kill Shub and loot the corpse, you know?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, this is an important point. I think some of the despair comes from the idea that humans are so small compared to the rest of the universe and we can't deal with these huge existential threats permanently, but that ignores that not every Lovecraftian threat is a Great Old One (and you can, say, put down your local Mi-Gos with a shotgun), and that even temporary victories against the greater powers can be huge by human standards. "We stopped a summoning ritual that would have destroyed half the city, and the stars won't be right for another attempt for a century, so Shub-Niggurath isn't showing up within our lifetime" is a major victory even if you didn't kill Shub and loot the corpse, you know?
Indeed. The guy who hit Cthulhu with a boat didn't kill him, if I remember right, but he sure whacked him good, and the big guy hosed off back to sleep afterwards. Even his big grand cult is just people who picked up on his radiation. Very nihilist in a lot of ways, but I'm sure we've all seen the meme.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

nessin posted:

Two Little Mice , the developer of Household has two other amazing games, Broken Compass, which is a set of rules for doing things like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones, Goonies...any scenario where you are adventurers searching for a fabled treasure in a not dungeon crawling manner; and Outgunned which is an Action Movie RPG in the best way. None of them use anything like the D20 system, and all of them are loaded with setting, style, and amazing art.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
A small corrective to this Cthulhu discussion is in order, because we have to acknowledge that SA's population is not representative of the larger hobby. Every designer of cosmic horror games and modules I've ever heard speak on the subject - and I'm thinking especially of Greg Stolze, Ken Hite, and Robin Laws - have been unanimous in saying that their experience with running games, at home, in playtests, and especially at conventions, is that people generally expect to be either horribly traumatized or annihilated in a cosmic horror game, and they're disappointed if it doesn't happen at some point; when the correct point for that is, depends on how long the game is expected to last. Successes can happen, but are temporary and ultimately meaningless.

In short, always talk to your players, and generally operate under the assumption that goons are aligned 90- to 180-degrees from the rest of the hobby.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Goons like bleak horror games too, to be fair -- I've seen a lot of enthusiasm here for Trophy Dark, which is a very pure "your character sees something horrible and dies" game, and some others came up in discussion of Halloween gaming last month. It's not that you can't play CoC in that mode, it's just that you don't have to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ghostbusters is a completely plausible Call of Cthulhu campaign.

Somehow the PCs finish with more SAN than they started.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey they could have on staff counseling. Egon seems like he's trained in the Freudian tradition.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

If the universe truly is uncaring and cold, then Great Cthulhu isn't really that much more important in the grand scale of things. People die all the time from stupid accidents and infections from bacteria and viruses that literally cannot be seen by the human eye because they're so small, why wouldn't a being that is at the end of the day a priest for the really big cheeses get turbofucked by a sailor and a steamship?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah Cthulhu is important at the scale of humanity and Earth but that's a relatively small scale for the mythos. if you want a stand-in for the terrifying, amoral cosmos at large you're looking for Azathoth.

e: there's also a pretty consistent trend in Lovecraft's stories of people being saved from supernatural evil by advanced technology -- you don't chase off gribblies in the mythos with simple tools like fire or sunlight, and definitely not by dabbling in magic or ancient charms yourself, that's a good way to get corrupted and/or eaten. but a microwave gun will gently caress up a cosmic horror real good.

i think at one point he even has one of his narrators come out and make this observation directly, as in a flash of insight

and it makes sense because for Lovecraft, civilization -- doomed though it may be -- is the antithesis of everything the horrors represent

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Splicer posted:

Help help urgent request: a goon is having a mild breakdown that can be ended by the other rats from the kc greene 36d20 rats d&d next playtest drawings my avatar came from. However I will not be able to dig them off the (potentially failed) hard disk I was keeping them on until at least Monday. No chance anyone has them lying around?

This is from literally months ago, but in my defence I've had a lot of poo poo going on and checking SA forum threads I'm already a hundred pages behind on is way, way down the list of priorities for me. Anyway, those drawings were by KC Green but they weren't for the D&D Next playtest, they were for my much earlier homebrew project called "Rats in the Basement" (wherein you play rats in a basement) and he drew 'em as a small favour to me. He's a real cool guy.

I'm about 90% sure this is all of them, but I'll keep digging around through my old folders just in case.