Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

indigi posted:

sucks for Deuce but Jim Caldwell probably knows what he's doing

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. The team has been godawful offensively in every facet, so I don't care too much about losing either of them.

I'm sure Duce will land on in feet in Detroit if he wants (despite it being lovely for the reasons he was with the Panthers in the first place), and McCown can follow his destiny and go do some poo poo down in Houston on that staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Kirios posted:

I'm like 90% sure Tepper is the worst owner in the NFL. The Panthers are turbo hosed until he's gone.

He's rushing to tie it up with the Jimmy Haslam Browns

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm not sure how much juice there is to squeeze out of a Miles Sanders / Chuba Hubbard backfield. But yeah might as well try something cause whatever they're doing ain't it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kirios posted:

I'm like 90% sure Tepper is the worst owner in the NFL. The Panthers are turbo hosed until he's gone.

He's easily top 5, which is pretty impressive considering that he's barely owned the team for that many years.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. The team has been godawful offensively in every facet, so I don't care too much about losing either of them.

I'm sure Duce will land on in feet in Detroit if he wants (despite it being lovely for the reasons he was with the Panthers in the first place), and McCown can follow his destiny and go do some poo poo down in Houston on that staff.

I think Duce will be fine as well

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He's rushing to tie it up with the Jimmy Haslam Browns

Jimmy may be worse but Tepper is actively sabotaging his team in a way I haven't seen since Snyder. And he doesn't even realize how badly he's running it.

It's literally Dan Snyder 2.0. Congrats Panthers fans, you got the next Dan Snyder. Listen to what Keyshawn was saying - he was at every single QB evaluation. The man thinks he's prime Al Davis or Jerry Jones. And I'd argue that's worse for a NFL organization than being an awful human being (and really, they're billionaires, they're all awful human beings some are just better at hiding it).

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I have lots of longer thoughts here on tepper and Reich and what happened that I'll write out tonight after work.

But I think even Reich not being able to advocate his position re: Stroud v Young is the rumours are true is also a big part of the problem.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Docjowles posted:

I'm not sure how much juice there is to squeeze out of a Miles Sanders / Chuba Hubbard backfield. But yeah might as well try something cause whatever they're doing ain't it

whoever thought Sanders was worth that deal needs to go. between Sanders, trading DJ, not trading Burns, and that OL, the GM (or GM + owner) has done a terrible job maximizing this roster and should also be out on his rear end

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Kirios posted:

Jimmy may be worse but Tepper is actively sabotaging his team in a way I haven't seen since Snyder. And he doesn't even realize how badly he's running it.

It's literally Dan Snyder 2.0. Congrats Panthers fans, you got the next Dan Snyder. Listen to what Keyshawn was saying - he was at every single QB evaluation. The man thinks he's prime Al Davis or Jerry Jones. And I'd argue that's worse for a NFL organization than being an awful human being (and really, they're billionaires, they're all awful human beings some are just better at hiding it).

The browns don't have a 1st till 25, are going to have shed cap next year, the core is aging out, Watson is immovable, and they can't even restructure him anymore it's so bad.

Combine that with his history of puppet gms, Hue loving Jackson to Freddie Kitchens and just the laundry list of other garbage Haslam reigns supreme with Snyder gone. Tepper is rapidly catching up though.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Spanos

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Panthers need a proven winner, someone who's proven they can win the NFC, that they can bring the best out of bust quarterbacks, someone who can overcome all sorts of adversity and still win.

We need Carolina Panthers Head Coach Jim Harbaugh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kirios posted:

I feel like he's trying even if he keeps loving up? I prefer that to whatever Woody Johnson is doing.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Are the Panthers the team who were forced to build a statue of the last owner and are legally prohibited from ever getting rid of it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

haljordan posted:

Are the Panthers the team who were forced to build a statue of the last owner and are legally prohibited from ever getting rid of it?

No, they took that down in 2020, I think.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Timby posted:

Right on, gently caress Jerry Richardson.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Timby posted:

One of the other panthers posters can correct me, but iirc they put the statue out and like a year later, his piggery was brought to light, and they removed it. It was only up for like 14 months or something

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think they gave a dumb excuse like "We've heard about threats of vandalism and decided to remove it temporarily" and just never bothered bringing it back, because why would you and who would even care

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mega64 posted:

I think they gave a dumb excuse like "We've heard about threats of vandalism and decided to remove it temporarily" and just never bothered bringing it back, because why would you and who would even care

Pretty much:

quote:

When the U.S. national anthem protests started back in 2016 in response to police brutality, it was reported by numerous Panthers players such as Tre Boston that Richardson prohibited his players from joining the protests.[5][2] After Richardson was forced to sell the team after the 2017 season following racist and sexist remarks made to team employees in light of the Me Too movement, David Tepper, the new owner, was forced to keep the statue up as a "contractual obligation" of purchasing the Panthers, much to the chagrin of many fans. However, it was taken down and stored in a hidden place by Panthers management in 2020 in light of the George Floyd protests.[6][7]

Despite no language indicating the fate of the statue, it has been reported that the Panthers organization does not intend on restoring it. Richardson himself also reportedly "moved on" before his death and said that the statue "is not his focus", according to his spokesperson.[8] Boston later commented that the removal of the statue was "best for the community".[1][5]

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MD2020 posted:

I can understand having too many men during the flow of the game, when your running players on/off or people are replacing injured players in specific packages, but how does this happen on the first snap of the game? Shouldn't the entire defense know who's going out there?

Staley is an offensive coach so I’m reading it as he had to call timeout to sort out the offense on the first snap of the game and didn’t realize the defense had 12 men out there.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

nachos posted:

Staley is an offensive coach so I’m reading it as he had to call timeout to sort out the offense on the first snap of the game and didn’t realize the defense had 12 men out there.

No he isn't

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

A full defense against incoming knowledge.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

indigi posted:

No he isn't

He's offensive to watch

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

LiquidFriend posted:

He's offensive to watch

I agree with the Chiefs fan

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

EmbryoSteve posted:

I don't think hes over the hill. The chargers just aren't interested in running the ball. Herbert had 44 pass attempts in a game that was one possession pretty much the entire time. Ekeler may not be top 3-5 but he's definitely top 10 and can catch out the back field. I'm not a chargers fan but have ekeler in fantasy so have watched a lot of chargers football and am just yelling my NFC West heart out to run the dang ball more than 13x a game. When you have one WR with 16 loving targets wtf kind of offense are you running. Just contain that one guy to short gains and the offense will just run out of steam.

Seriously. 44 pass attempts to 13 runs by rbs. In a one possession game that was loving 10-3 or 13-10 for almost the entire game so not exactly a "got to keep scoring to keep up" kind of game. Seahawks been doing this each same thing to similar lovely results.

The Chargers can't run the ball even if they wanted to, because the interior o-line without Lindsley is just atrocious. They don't communicate with each other well, they aren't physical enough to handle NFL quality front 7s. That being said, you're also right in that they're not interested in running the ball, and they only really do so for effect. (the Miami game in the opener being the one big exception) They are a finesse team that lives and dies off Herbert's arm, in the same way that they were a finesse team that lived and died off Rivers's arm. I think the one thing that really encapsulates how dogshit the o-line and the blocking schemes are, is that they've dropped like two games this year because they let a free rusher sack Herbert untouched when it mattered.

I'm in agreement with Ross in that I probably loathe Staley more than anybody else the Chargers have had since they fired Marty. It's not just that he's a lovely coach; he's a loving blowhard who is constantly wrong about everything, constantly makes the wrong decisions in came; constantly blows high leverage situations when it matters. This team has never gotten better under him; they make the same mistakes they did this year, that they did the first year he coached the Chargers. He's not an NFL head coach.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I know Marty wasn't ever going to actually win anything because that man had some kind of ancient Egyptian curse on him, but it's still unbelievable to me that Spanos fired him.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Redeye Flight posted:

I know Marty wasn't ever going to actually win anything because that man had some kind of ancient Egyptian curse on him, but it's still unbelievable to me that Spanos fired him.

Dean let the relationship between AJ Smith and Marty rot and fall apart so badly that he basically had to pick one or the other. Marty trying to hire his brother onto the coaching staff after the Chargers were raided by everybody in the league gave him a convenient excuse to dump him.

It was wrong, of course. Marty's career is a man who couldn't win a title, but every team he coached also fell apart without him. The Chiefs I guess are the exception, maybe? I don't remember the teams before Vermeil came on very well. The Chargers were good for a few years after, but also AJ's drafting went straight into the toilet and I think a lot of why he looked like a better talent evaluator than he really was, is because Marty knew how to coach up the guys that were drafted for him, and Norv wasn't as good in that respect.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Kirios posted:

This coaching staff and these players all were born into families with parents that worked in a body shop, if they were lucky enough for their parents to be around. And they made it to the echelon of the country's most monied and competitive sport through sheer love and dedication to understanding and excelling at this sport. But I have a billion dollars so I must be smarter.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

congratulations to matt eberflus who, after his 29 games as a head coach, has won a division game.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
So Tepper really does have a chance to continue following in Irsay's footsteps:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-greg-olsen-has-interest-in-panthers-head-coaching-job

NBC Sports posted:

When the Colts fired Frank Reich last season, owner Jim Irsay replaced Reich with former player Jeff Saturday as the interim head coach. Saturday didn’t get the full-time job, but in Carolina, a former Panthers player apparently is interested in replacing Reich as the full-time coach.

Former Panthers tight end Greg Olsen, the top color analyst for Fox, would have interest in the Panthers’ vacancy if owner David Tepper approached him, The Athletic reports.

The move would be more stunning than Irsay’s decision to bring in Saturday as an interim head coach a year ago.

Olsen, like Saturday, has no coaching experience in college or the NFL.

He has coached his son’s Pop Warner team.

Olsen, 38, moved to the broadcast booth after his retirement in the spring of 2021 and worked his way up, but Tom Brady is expected to replace Olsen on Fox’s top NFL broadcast team.

The Panthers would face backlash over Olsen as the Colts did with Saturday and the Texans did in interviewing Josh McCown twice for their head coaching job. McCown was fired as the Panthers’ quarterbacks coach on Monday, which was his first coaching job in the NFL.

Olsen, whose father was a longtime high school coach in New Jersey, is a longshot even to get an interview, but the job is not a coveted one within the coaching ranks. The Panthers have had six head coaches in Tepper’s six seasons as owner, including three interim coaches.

Carolina is 30-63 with Tepper as owner, with only the Jets having a worse record in that time.

It's a nothing burger, but it would be very funny

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Durandal1707 posted:

Dean let the relationship between AJ Smith and Marty rot and fall apart so badly that he basically had to pick one or the other. Marty trying to hire his brother onto the coaching staff after the Chargers were raided by everybody in the league gave him a convenient excuse to dump him.

It was wrong, of course. Marty's career is a man who couldn't win a title, but every team he coached also fell apart without him. The Chiefs I guess are the exception, maybe? I don't remember the teams before Vermeil came on very well. The Chargers were good for a few years after, but also AJ's drafting went straight into the toilet and I think a lot of why he looked like a better talent evaluator than he really was, is because Marty knew how to coach up the guys that were drafted for him, and Norv wasn't as good in that respect.
The Chiefs were mediocre under Gunther until he found out he was fired by reading the paper.

Mediocre for a few more years under Vermeil until 2003 happened. I remember Trent Green being known as TrINT his first year here.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Was interesting hearing Pat McAfee's take on it all today. Not necessarily for any analysis of Reich's dealings with Carolina, but more from what he had to say about Reich's time in indy and the culture on the team and how bad it went how quickly.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shinji2015 posted:

So Tepper really does have a chance to continue following in Irsay's footsteps:

Was hoping this would be about using inhalants.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Was hoping this would be about using inhalants.

That's also entirely possible

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If we're talking former Panthers, you know who would build a winning culture in that locker room right quick? Steve Smith :getin:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Docjowles posted:

If we're talking former Panthers, you know who would build a winning culture in that locker room right quick? Steve Smith :getin:

:hmmyes: a coach shorter than Bryce would be great for his confidence

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Docjowles posted:

“I smell poo poo in this room and it’s coming from all of you.”

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Mike Tomlin should hire Steve Smith as his wide receivers coach, and just have him stare at them uncomfortably without blinking until they get the message

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Docjowles posted:

You probably need to murder Tepper in order to instill a winning culture, and he'd probably do it inside a month

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Smith would be a good awful coach. Everyday would be him beating some dude's rear end for not instinctively understanding the game or not spending enough time in the gym paired with podium apologies about how there is no excuse for the way he destroyed their #1 WRs orbital bone with a cooler.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Smith would be a good awful coach. Everyday would be him beating some dude's rear end for not instinctively understanding the game or not spending enough time in the gym paired with podium apologies about how there is no excuse for the way he destroyed their #1 WRs orbital bone with a cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I, too, would have interest in the Panthers’ vacancy if owner David Tepper approached me. I would also have interest in being CEO of Apple if Tim approached me.