Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Swerve vs Lethal 4 7.84%
Hook/OC/Shibata vs ExJAS 1 1.96%
Rush vs Jay 31 60.78%
Anna vs Ruby vs Skye 2 3.92%
Mark vs Mox 13 25.49%
Total: 51 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

Are we gonna talk about the teeth

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Shard posted:

I was fine with most stuff up until the pape. MJF trying to act like Jay loving White wasn't on his level and trying to get tofu over was really dumb. But the bullshit drama before the match really took me out of it. The match was good. But it could have been good without the bullshit before.

It was a bit awkward, but I get what it was going for. They wanted to make the crowd want the MJF match more by pretending to take it away from them. It was a little cludgy though. The match really drew my casual wrestling watching friends in though. They worked the injury so well they said it made them feel uncomfortable, which is a hell of an accomplishment after the Hangman Swerve match. Hole-ee.

I have faith in Jay White to bounce back, but I want to see Bullet Club Gold get a prominent new member (Jack Perry, maybe Hangman). For me, the feud was buoyed by my pure enjoyment of Jay.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

El Generico posted:

It was a bit awkward, but I get what it was going for. They wanted to make the crowd want the MJF match more by pretending to take it away from them. It was a little cludgy though. The match really drew my casual wrestling watching friends in though. They worked the injury so well they said it made them feel uncomfortable, which is a hell of an accomplishment after the Hangman Swerve match. Hole-ee.

I have faith in Jay White to bounce back, but I want to see Bullet Club Gold get a prominent new member (Jack Perry, maybe Hangman). For me, the feud was buoyed by my pure enjoyment of Jay.

Yeah my issue was that it was just a super long trip for us to end up at exactly the same spot. They could have done the whole getting attacked by the Gunn club stuff but they didn’t need the ambulance stuff and not knowing if he was cleared and all that.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
remember when qt enshrined a pair of his boots at planet hollywood

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Rob posted:

Yeah my issue was that it was just a super long trip for us to end up at exactly the same spot. They could have done the whole getting attacked by the Gunn club stuff but they didn’t need the ambulance stuff and not knowing if he was cleared and all that.

I personally would have preferred if they did the attack and just didn’t pillmanize his leg and send him off in an ambulance

Just do some chairshots to the leg and he will hobble around like it is broken, the chair being used in a way that all other times results in someone going on vacation for a month or two just makes the whole thing look so much shittier

But i am just salty and happen to not be the booker so it doesn’t matter, does it

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Wasn't the whole attack and ambulance driving a reference to something similar happening with Sting? Though in this instance, Sting actually lost to Rude in the actual match

https://youtu.be/UzO9JaWihx8?si=Ap_kJgsCPZGCL9xX

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I didn't mind the ambulance and the injury spot for MJF/Jay and if it was just that and tease of forfeit and MJF wrestling from behind I'd have been fine with the match. It's the having Cole take his place that felt just a bit too far and too silly for me

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://x.com/WrestlePurists/status/1729569258730840565?s=20

we can all thank phil for one last parting gift

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I didn't mind the ambulance and the injury spot for MJF/Jay and if it was just that and tease of forfeit and MJF wrestling from behind I'd have been fine with the match. It's the having Cole take his place that felt just a bit too far and too silly for me

Exactly this. "Hey, you're injured – it's fine if you want this guy who is even more injured than you to take your spot, even if he hasn't wrestled in weeks and is wearing a medical boot" is so stupid. Would it have been better/funnier if Roddy demanded to be the replacement to prove his friendship to Adam? At least he can still wrestle and his neck brace is a gimmick.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I was with MJF and his reign until the crying press conference. If it wasn’t a bit, dude shouldn’t have been made to go out there with a broken hip and weep about his dead grandfather. Nothing wrong with crying over any of that, but he needed to be getting checked up on physically and emotionally not cutting a promo that no one now really even remembers or cared about much when it happened.

If it was a bit making fun of Jay White then…okay? We’re making fun of emotions in an emotionally driven fake sport now? to what end? Jay probably should have won the title, giving MJF an out with his worked and shooted injuries.

But the Maestro de la cocaina is dead set on Master Chief Adam Cole vs Marcus Jacob Fenix at a PPV in 2030 when they’re both able to wrestle at the same time, on NXT.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Punk knows what works and what doesn't brother

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Phil is unforgivable

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Alan_Shore posted:

Punk knows what works and what doesn't brother

i liked when the lady said "rowl dah foot-idge"

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Brooks, as always, thank you…

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

i liked when the lady said "rowl dah foot-idge"

Change it to HTV, Harley in charge of everything, problem solved.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

:lmao: that Tony was still covering for Punk right until the end.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Now that it’s all over I think we can all agree that Tony being a gigantic mark and putting the world title on Punk at the earliest opportunity was a catastrophically bad booking decision that he’s only just managed to dig himself out of.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

SatoshiMiwa posted:

There are aspects of each element of the PPV main event story I understand and kind of like, but it ultimately feels like a situation where they got too in the weeds creatively and nobody was willing to take a step back and say “This whole thing just doesn’t come together in a way that works.”

The Cole aspect of things was intriguing to me because it had me wondering “How could they possibly make this work?”. To me, it invited speculation that Cole was faking the injury or would find some way to use this opening to betray MJF and get himself closer to the title. But even if that was the intention of that particular wrinkle, they couldn’t find a way to make that happen without totally throwing the established logic of the promotion out the window. Someone needed to be willing to step up and say “If we can’t justify this, we have to be willing to just toss it out.” If you’re married to having Cole lobby against stripping the belt from MJF in a way that invites skepticism, there are other ways to do it - or you could honesty just keep it to the towel-throwing and ring goof-up spots in the match itself. I’m generally forgiving of story contrivances in wrestling, but you shouldn’t be willing to bend reality for an inessential plot beat.

The beatdown/hospitalization/comeback storyline is way more straightforward - it’s a well that’s been gone to before for a Heroic Babyface, and while it doesn’t do any favors for Jay, a good heel is ultimately there to put over the face. I think the problem here is that they went too far on selling the injury. In general, I wonder if MJF needs to recalibrate his selling instincts to work better as a face - it’s one thing to do the big over-the-top on-verge-of-tears injury stuff when you’re a sniveling heel who only shows rear end so often, but it’s pretty lame to have your world champion wailing from the back of an ambulance telling some other dude to save his title for him. This angle probably goes down way smoother if MJF is trying to fight off medical to compete but they force him to go for X-rays or something.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Punk could probably be a pretty good booker, as long as he doesn’t book himself.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Answers Me posted:

Now that it’s all over I think we can all agree that Tony being a gigantic mark and putting the world title on Punk at the earliest opportunity was a catastrophically bad booking decision that he’s only just managed to dig himself out of.

I do not agree with this sir

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

TK is going to try to push as many of Punk's enemies like QT to go to WWE, I see what the little devil is doing

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Answers Me posted:

Cm punk upon his return was the hottest thing in pro wrestling and drew numbers that were undeniable

That being said, after he broke his everything, he should not have come anywhere near the title whether or not he had his prop bag and replica title

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The thing that MJF/White did well was make Adam Cole a red herring for the Devil. He almost finagled himself into taking MJF's spot. The look of surprise when MJF returned looked equal parts happy and like he was hiding contempt. He kept giving him bad advice during the match. He screwed up the interference to the point that it looked like it was on purpose.

Great on its own, but it was a show where everyone wanted them to get to the Devil factory and not stretch it out even further.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Tony might as well of just handed Punk the belt in the middle of the ring while kissing his rear end the night he debuted.

I wish he would have just hosed off to WWE to begin with.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

remember the real worlds title poo poo lol

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Stroker Ace posted:

Tony might as well of just handed Punk the belt in the middle of the ring while kissing his rear end the night he debuted.

I wish he would have just hosed off to WWE to begin with.

CM Punk's return to wrestling was an incredible happening that literally felt impossible until it actually happened. Don't let the crowd dive and everything after fool you into forgetting that. There's a lot one can blame Tony or Punk or whoever for but there's nothing that wasn't incredible about that initial return and what it represented - or at least, what we thought it did.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

remember the real worlds title poo poo lol

lmfao the bag

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

lmfao the bag

satoshi kojima do your thing :pray:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Fightful reporting Danielson was in charge of the disciplinary committee that fired CM Punk

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1729587949291843745

quote:

CM Punk was terminated by AEW following a situation at AEW All Out by a quickly developed discipline committee, and we’ve learned more, largely because of a tweet that may have referenced it.

Recently, Fightful revealed that a long rumored member of the committee, Megha Parekh, had actually stepped back from a lot of her duties as Chief Legal Officer by that time and actually had nothing to do with the committee. We’ve since learned that AEW General Counsel Chris Peck, who assumed many of her responsibilities, was a part of the three-person committee, along with an outside attorney.

However, there was also one long-respected member of the AEW talent roster that was involved, in Bryan Danielson. When asking sources on the AEW roster about his inclusion, one called him an “appropriate moral compass who exemplifies objectivity" and said that he effectively headed up and was the face of the disciplinary committee. Danielson was said to have spoken to the roster when addressing them about Punk’s termination, and noted that the decision was a particularly hard one. He cited the positives that CM Punk brought and his longstanding friendship with Punk, but said that it was the decision that had to be made.

On November 27, Danielson tweeted “My dad always told me, “The right thing is often the hardest thing to do. It won’t always make the most money. It won’t always be the most popular. But it’s still the right thing." We’re told that’s what Danielson said when speaking to talent at the meeting months before.

We weren’t given any indication regarding the decision making process that occurred by the disciplinary committee. Those that we spoke to said they believed CM Punk was aware by now that Danielson was a pair of said committee, as many of his friends were included in the meeting where Danielson addressed them.

This is a continued duty for Danielson, as he's also responsible for handing out fines when necessary.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Explains his weepy pathetic stand up for AEW tweet today…

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Henderson was half right I guess. Hobbs being with qtv was a waste long term

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Bryan can't stand brittle weaklings who get injured all the time.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lmao at Danielson sliding into the Tony's favorite spot after Brawl Out.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Dango Bango posted:

Lmao at Danielson sliding into the Tony's favorite spot after Brawl Out.

not that the position should exist but if anybody has to fill it...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Danielson is the wrestler punk wishes he was, in every way

Lol, lmao

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yea ok posted:

Fightful reporting Danielson was in charge of the disciplinary committee that fired CM Punk

Holy gently caress please give me AEW Wrestlers Court feat. Judge Dragon for All Access Season 2

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Sean, the show was called All In. All Out was a different show.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Danielson is the wrestler punk wishes he was, in every way

Lol, lmao

I don’t blame him. I also wish I was Bryan danielson.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

yea ok posted:

HHH activated his final sleeper cell in AEW. TK should be more wary of a faction literally started by William Regal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bryan firing Punk might be the most beast moment in the company’s history. AEW is back baby