Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Chernabog posted:

LMAO at starting Dobbs.

Here's to me for doing that. Thankfully my opponent started Fields and I was already up by 10 against him so it was touch and go for a bit but managed to escape with a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

imo don’t be too hard on yourself for starting Dobbs. He’s been on a heater and getting close to 25pts/week, and the Bears loving suck. Divisional MNF games seem to consistently be a shitshow, and the Bears also almost destroyed the Lions lol

I am somewhat sweaty about how JJ fairs now, though.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
It seemed like a safe bet. But I started the season with Burrow and Richardson so I've had no longterm QB luck this season.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The two teams at 7-4 lost and the three at 6-5 won.

So now five of us are at 7-5 in the league I care about and I'm second in points for, gotta make it through this week with Allen on bye :ohdear:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I know projected points are bullshit, but it's annoying that my team is like first or second in projected points every week, and then I inevitably end up 4-6 in actual points. Just a constantly underperforming team.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Oh god, I'm in bye week hell now and need to go to the waiver wire for an RB. Probably should have taken a peek at my schedule a couple weeks ago :doh:

edit: at least I won last week and hit .500

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My main league has a $200 bonus to the team with the most points scored. I’m in first in points scored. I put up 180 this week and only gained 2 points in the standings because the 2nd highest point scorer on the season put up 178 lol

Currently have a 19 point lead on the year

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Time to check the waiver wire for some savior to come in a rescue my season.

Jalin Hyatt I'm sure you're going to be the guy after your bye! No way you go back to zero targets immediately right? Right?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Lost my beer league matchup by less than a point because Justin Fields fumbled on the second to last drive and I was playing against Vikings D/ST

Bears can't even win right.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Currently have a 1 game lead for the last playoff spot in one league. So of course I play the top 2 seeds the next 2 weeks to close out the regular season :ohdear:

Achane and Puka if you're ever gonna start scoring 30 a week again this would be a fantastic time to do so

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Do I try to grab Russell Wilson to play over Kyler M.?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm playing russ to cover Josh Allen's bye

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Chernabog posted:

For this week? No, probably not. But for the week after, you'll need someone, since AZ has a bizarre Week 14 bye. Wilson's probably about as good as you'll find available.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

kiimo posted:

Time to check the waiver wire for some savior to come in a rescue my season.

Jalin Hyatt I'm sure you're going to be the guy after your bye! No way you go back to zero targets immediately right? Right?

If I know anything it’s that this Giants team will not let you down

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Dynasty question… next year will be our 4th year and we are losing a pair of owners for the first time in a 12 team league. I’ll preface my thoughts by sayings it’s my fault for not establishing how this plays out ahead of time. One team is competitive but not top tier, while the other is bottom tier, but has a decent amount of assets.

1) Old owners pay 1/2 of the dues for next year. Two new owners can bid up to the remaining 1/2 to claim their preferred team. Will entertain the possibility of an additional comp pick for each owner (1.13, and something further back for the better team. Will probably reduce the prize pot for one year.

2) Allowing the new owners to have a dispersion draft between the two vacated teams and their assets. Immediate draft picks would be included, while the future picks would stay with said teams.

I’ll probably put this to a vote in the league before going further, but want to see if there is anything I’m missing. This will be the precedent going forward, with the caveat that if you trade a future 1st, you are on the hook for the full dues for that year no matter what.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Won by less than 3 points thanks to Kyren Williams and now sitting alone at the top of my league by record. 8-man leagues can be really silly - every team is so stacked and I’m just dropping players like Rhamondre Stevenson and Justin Fields.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Chernabog posted:

actually...yes. Russ is a sneaky good play this week

edit: to elaborate, Kyler has been hot above mean with rushing TDs boosting his points since return. Playing @PIT in an early game feels like a regression to the mean, especially with TJ Watt firing on all cylinders. PIT is bottom 6 in FPs allowed to QB, and has given up 0 rushing QB TDs.

Houston DST is not particularly fantastic at INTs and sacks, and is Top8 in FP allowed to QB

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 28, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Game-Blouses posted:

Dynasty question… next year will be our 4th year and we are losing a pair of owners for the first time in a 12 team league. I’ll preface my thoughts by sayings it’s my fault for not establishing how this plays out ahead of time. One team is competitive but not top tier, while the other is bottom tier, but has a decent amount of assets.

1) Old owners pay 1/2 of the dues for next year. Two new owners can bid up to the remaining 1/2 to claim their preferred team. Will entertain the possibility of an additional comp pick for each owner (1.13, and something further back for the better team. Will probably reduce the prize pot for one year.

2) Allowing the new owners to have a dispersion draft between the two vacated teams and their assets. Immediate draft picks would be included, while the future picks would stay with said teams.

I’ll probably put this to a vote in the league before going further, but want to see if there is anything I’m missing. This will be the precedent going forward, with the caveat that if you trade a future 1st, you are on the hook for the full dues for that year no matter what.

Huge disclaimer that I do not play dynasty, but if I were joining a new league, I would much prefer #2.

I don't really even understand number #1. Are the new owners not on the hook for any dues next year unless they opt to bid for the teams? If they both bid the full amount how do you decide who gets which team? If I were joining a league I would expect to pay the full yearly dues. And as an existing manager I'd be pissed if the new guy won in year 1 and hadn't even paid into the pot. Maybe I am just misunderstanding you but it all sounds messy.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

haha oh yeah this is the week I have 4 starters on bye in one league, good thing I'm in 2nd place

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

Docjowles posted:

Huge disclaimer that I do not play dynasty, but if I were joining a new league, I would much prefer #2.

I don't really even understand number #1. Are the new owners not on the hook for any dues next year unless they opt to bid for the teams? If they both bid the full amount how do you decide who gets which team? If I were joining a league I would expect to pay the full yearly dues. And as an existing manager I'd be pissed if the new guy won in year 1 and hadn't even paid into the pot. Maybe I am just misunderstanding you but it all sounds messy.

I like option 2 as well for “fairness”. You raise good questions over the first option. Dues are normally $100, but I don’t want to put that on the new owners for teams they had no parts in constructing. Half-way through the season I was notified that one person wanted to bounce, then a second also chimed in. I want the previous owners to at least pay half of next year’s fee. The problem that comes next is how do you decide which new manager gets which team? So, the “additional bidding” is a thought to allow them to go after the team they want, while adding back to the total $ pot.

Option 2 would seem to allow for a more clean 50/50 pot contribution from old and new managers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Our dynasty league has had lots of turnover over the last uhhh, is it nearly ten years now? we've been doing it and we don't do any of that fancy stuff. We just ask for new owners, if we need more than one then the first person to speak up gets their pick. It has worked fine. If you are taking a bottom ranked team you are probably getting a top four pick the next year for the rookie draft, you can probably clean house in terms of salary and have plenty of money to pick up the best early season surprise standouts off of faab waivers, and even if you linger at the bottom for a couple three or four years, well... that's fantasy.

I'd only start trying to make weird rules to make things even if I was having trouble finding replacement owners or if there was an actual argument from the owners about it. So far that's never been the case.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Leperflesh posted:

Our dynasty league has had lots of turnover over the last uhhh, is it nearly ten years now? we've been doing it and we don't do any of that fancy stuff. We just ask for new owners, if we need more than one then the first person to speak up gets their pick. It has worked fine. If you are taking a bottom ranked team you are probably getting a top four pick the next year for the rookie draft, you can probably clean house in terms of salary and have plenty of money to pick up the best early season surprise standouts off of faab waivers, and even if you linger at the bottom for a couple three or four years, well... that's fantasy.

I'd only start trying to make weird rules to make things even if I was having trouble finding replacement owners or if there was an actual argument from the owners about it. So far that's never been the case.

Yeah our dynasty league has done the same thing when needing new managers

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We totally gave up on salary so we don't even do that much

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Yeah no salary for us either. I guess I can just see if new managers are agreeable to take a team as is. If not, then I can throw out the dispersion draft.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Game-Blouses posted:

The problem that comes next is how do you decide which new manager gets which team? So, the “additional bidding” is a thought to allow them to go after the team they want, while adding back to the total $ pot
I would ask them which teams they each want. If it turns out they each want a different team, that solves the problem right there. If they want the same team, I'd probably go the dispersal draft route.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Game-Blouses posted:

I like the idea of dynasty managers being on the hook for next years dues bc ive seen it a bunch of times that managers abandon their teams, no new manager wants to buy into a lovely team, league disbands

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I've never played dynasty, or any kind of team that carries over year to year. I always thought you just held on to a couple of guys, but maybe that's referred to as a Keeper league. So your whole team carries over to the next year?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I like the idea of dynasty managers being on the hook for next years dues bc ive seen it a bunch of times that managers abandon their teams, no new manager wants to buy into a lovely team, league disbands

Our rule is that if you make a trade involving a future pick, you must pay dues for the year that pick is in. So you can't mortgage the future of a team by trading away all its picks and then yeet yourself out of the league leaving behind a team that will be hopeless for years. Or, well, you can, but there's a financial disincentive. The dues are still refunded, once a new owner takes the team and pays up, so if the team isn't hopeless you're not actually losing the future dues. But this system ensures that even if a team is so awful nobody wants it, the treasurer isn't out one team's dues which pay for MFL and the prize pool.

It's not in our rules but I think a worst-case scenario would be that we put an abandoned team onto autodraft, let MFL set its lineup weekly, and just let it ride until someone wants it.

e. Oh yeah also we have a triumvirate instead of a single commissioner, so key decisions generally require a discussion between at least two commissioners. That can be slow but it also means nobody gets away with tyrannical behavior or funny business, particularly around the issue of money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I've never played dynasty, or any kind of team that carries over year to year. I always thought you just held on to a couple of guys, but maybe that's referred to as a Keeper league. So your whole team carries over to the next year?

Yes, although owners usually have a handful of guys they want to drop. We do a rookie draft followed by a veteran & free agent auction each year, as late in the preseason as possible, so you want to drop a few guys just to make room for picks (although we also have taxi squads!). Then there's also FAAB style free agency throughout the season, and we have escalating salaries and a salary cap. All salaries go up by 10% or a dollar (whichever is more) every year. If you find a long-term winner on free agency for a dollar you can hold them their entire career, but the top vets and the first round draft picks tend to cost enough that holding them for a decade isn't going to work. That helps to ensure there's some level of churn, you're rarely going into the beginning of a season with nothing but dogshit players and nothing you can do to improve your team.

Dynasty is very cool, it can be immersive and you can be stuck with a low end team for a long time just due to bad luck - ask me about that time I used the first overall pick on travis etienne literally hours before he died - and then I traded him for zeke during zeke's last good year - so it's like an amplifier of the normal fantasy football suffering? But the opposite can also be true, you can get Patrick Mahomes for a third round pick in his rookie year and still only be paying him a $10 salary ($250 salary cap) in 2023.

Here's our league, if you want to poke around in it and see what the teams are like.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

Correct, but obviously changes league to league:

Keeper leagues vary by the total # of keepers or rules regarding keeping specific players or types of players or if they have a bid cost associated with them in an auction format or something.

Dynasty leagues you have certain total # of team and bench spots and players are kept permanently on rosters unless dropped/traded after the initial draft, and then usually there is a smaller draft yearly for the new incoming rookie class.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One thing I found when setting up our dynasty league is that there is far less standardization for this format than for normal redraft leagues. Basically every dynasty league is a customized thing of its own. The absolutely staggering amount of customization options that MFL offers is evidence of that, basically every weird niche rule option comes from someone asking for it for their league.

The drawback there is you can't just like, start a "standard dynasty league." It takes some work because there's a lot of decisions to make.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Annoying catching up mega post:

Had my first dual win for both leagues since week 5 last week :unsmith:

In our “competitive” league I finally put up a high scoring game of 164 points in a half PPR league that has two guys putting up similar, while the remaining eight of us are barely breaking 100 points week to week. But my opponent was the 2-10 poo poo team that didn’t even break 80 points so it was highly unsatisfying lol. I need those points when I face the division leader juggernaut in Week 14, I’m only one of two teams that got a lucky win against him and would love another to sweep him and close out the season going into the playoffs.

Re: Dynasty, I’m very jealous of everyone’s dynasty leagues. I would give up both of my multi-year leagues if I could get all of my friends/fantasy pals to A) be even interested in that complex of a league and B) actually *gasp* commit to something for once

Vargo posted:

I hate Austin Ekeler.

In our friend keeper league, one of the teams selected Ekeler as his keeper right before the draft over Tyreek and we all laughed at him. He is now 2-10 :laugh:

kiimo posted:

Can I use this thread to say how pissed I am that I took Anthony Richardson over Stroud in dynasty

why

why

Braincloud posted:

No one drafted Stroud in my league. I plucked him off the wire after Richardson went down. 😅

Hello, I drafted Qarron and Richardson very late back to back in our competitive league after some jerk picked two QBs right away, and still managed to grab Stroud after Richardson ate it. Would have been hosed by now if he wasn’t available most likely!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Double post but lol Jonathan Taylor is having surgery on his thumb I guess?

Is it worth dropping my final $10 on Moss or do I slot in Kirk, McLauren, or *shudder* my emergency Bye add Dillon

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

T-Square posted:

Double post but lol Jonathan Taylor is having surgery on his thumb I guess?

Is it worth dropping my final $10 on Moss or do I slot in Kirk, McLauren, or *shudder* my emergency Bye add Dillon

My league doesn’t do FAAB, but I am desperately hoping to grab him off waivers tomorrow. He put up big points when taylor was out. I had Miss earlier and dropped him when Taylor came back and this is what I get for not just stashing him on my bench.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My league doesn’t do FAAB, but I am desperately hoping to grab him off waivers tomorrow. He put up big points when taylor was out. I had Miss earlier and dropped him when Taylor came back and this is what I get for not just stashing him on my bench.

Ugh, yeah. This isn’t gonna go my way because there are dudes that have 95-100% of their budgets still lol

This was supposed to happen to Henry and why I own Spears in both leagues <:mad:>

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I plan on starting Najee over Mostert this week, am I nuts?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Any kickers yall like ROS? I’m dropping Patterson asap.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I plan on starting Najee over Mostert this week, am I nuts?

Mostert got 21.4pts in half ppr against the jets defense last week, najee’s highest outing is only 17.1 in week 10 and only put up 15 last week against cincin

Who are your other backs that this would at all be a tough choice??

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Mostert got 21.4pts in half ppr against the jets defense last week, najee’s highest outing is only 17.1 in week 10 and only put up 15 last week against cincin

Who are your other backs that this would at all be a tough choice??

Gibbs starting and Kareem Hunt and Spears on the bench so basically a wasteland. I think you talked me out of it though so thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Mostert is like three or four TDs from Ricky Williams team record, and I legit think they try and get him there.