Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually the thing that will always drive me most insane about human revolution is how the original game has a bit where tracer tong tells jc a metaphorical saying about swords and not letting them slip out of your grasp. so in human revolution when you meet tracer tong, they set up tong knowing the saying by, having adam say it to him. and then you listen to the commentary track and the guy who wrote it in is like "yeah tong said this thing in the original game. so i decided to write it in here. so you know like, it implies that tong learned it from adam." finally we have gotten the important background lore, what white guy did tracer tong learn his ancient chinese saying from. human revolution is an impressively brainless game

also a big fan of how they cut that poo poo out for preorder dlc but didn't edit the cg cutscene of tong running out after adam saves him so for anyone who didn't have the preorder dlc it was just a completely random scene of a guy you don't know running out of a warehouse and waving at you. what.

MechaX posted:

What even was Jensen’s full backstory anyway, I remember most of it being punted to random vague emails and Jensen just never really talks about it except to some cop who was like “man that thing that happened in that one town was hosed up”

adam's cop backstory is that he was a cop and some hosed up stuff happened and then he stopped being a cop and his cop friend got ptsd. adam's deeper backstory as talked about in the extensive adam jensen backstory discovery sidequest is uhhh, there was a lab fire and adam's parents were in the fire, and adam might be some kind of miracle baby maybe. buy the sequel to find out more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the game isn't about any of that. the game kind of throws all of that out there as vague wordbuilding but the game isn't about capitalism or slavery or whatever, it's about borat voice my waife.

All complaints aside, it was very funny that the punch line to all the my waifu poo poo was that she was in on her own kidnapping and that she was never that into you.

The game handles it tremendously poorly, of course, but it is funny.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's something that could have been incredibly funny if human revolution had any self awareness or sense for how to write characters in general. she's just kind of devoid of any real identity in the writing so literally the only thing you get to define your understanding of her is oh, she acted like she was into adam, but actually she was loving... some guy you kill in a boss fight

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

This might be kind of hard to quantify, but how much changes or is added in endings C/D in Nier Replicant? I'm working on Ending B right now and I plan to finish but I don't know if I have it in me to replay the back half of the game two more times to see C/D, even though I think I'm only short a couple of weapons. The gameplay was mostly okay the first time through the game but now that I'm replaying sections that I've largely seen already it's getting extremely boring.

The changes I'm seeing in the Ending B run are certainly interesting, I just can't decide if it's worth it to have to slog through Part 2 twice more.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

actually the thing that will always drive me most insane about human revolution is how the original game has a bit where tracer tong tells jc a metaphorical saying about swords and not letting them slip out of your grasp. so in human revolution when you meet tracer tong, they set up tong knowing the saying by, having adam say it to him. and then you listen to the commentary track and the guy who wrote it in is like "yeah tong said this thing in the original game. so i decided to write it in here. so you know like, it implies that tong learned it from adam." finally we have gotten the important background lore, what white guy did tracer tong learn his ancient chinese saying from. human revolution is an impressively brainless game

lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e) whoops+

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

This might be kind of hard to quantify, but how much changes or is added in endings C/D in Nier Replicant? I'm working on Ending B right now and I plan to finish but I don't know if I have it in me to replay the back half of the game two more times to see C/D, even though I think I'm only short a couple of weapons. The gameplay was mostly okay the first time through the game but now that I'm replaying sections that I've largely seen already it's getting extremely boring.

The changes I'm seeing in the Ending B run are certainly interesting, I just can't decide if it's worth it to have to slog through Part 2 twice more.

D is the only one really worth replaying for but it's still going to be largely the same. However doing ending D is necessary to unlock Ending E which is where a chunk of the new content in the game is.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what was the deal with the mute assassin lady who just appears in a random building in montreal who you instantly kill with zero difficulty because the entire floor of her arena is water and the stun gun electrifies water

MockingQuantum posted:

you dont need to go for ending c. you can just get d and see most of the interesting changes in that route, the stuff after that will require a bit more repetition but is entirely worth doing if you like kaine and emil at all

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There was stuff in Human Revolution where the poor and the disabled were being sold stuff by the corporations stuff like “we’ll subsidize you a cool new robot arm or leg and in exchange, we now legally own your body and life but at least you won’t have to worry about food or shelter ever again”. This literally even happened to Jensen himself, after the prologue of Human Revolution where Jensen gets saved by the augmentations but in exchange he’s no longer simply an employee of Sarif, he owns Jensen.

This is why they’re treated as the underclass in Mankind Divided. Most of them were already from poor or disabled backgrounds before they became slaves for labor and post-Human Revolution they’re now even worse than they were before, cut off from the corporations, subject to living in ghettos and unable to afford the medication that prevented their bodies from rejecting their augs. That’s why posters who keep harping on about how stupid it is are either ignorant of the real world because Amazon would absolutely do poo poo like that if they could irl, or somehow missed that detail in Human Revolution.

But Human Revolution is a lot to blame for people missing that. That game had about as much cut content as the original Deus Ex did and entire hub areas which would have hammered into your head that the golden age before the collapse only really was applicable for the super rich and powerful, the entire Montreal hub and half of Shanghai was cut and the remaining story just had you interacting with the rich and powerful who could afford augs without having to be a legal slave to a corporation.

No everyone noticed it immediately. Now if only that was what the game was built around. One cool detail mentioned 4 hours in can't save a gentleman's 6/10 game. The 76% unemployment rate in Detroit: Become Human didn't solve any of its issues and two sentences of companies treating prosthetics attached to people as 790% their property to the point they own the people too doesn't fix any of the general story or gameplay issues.

Prey certainly isn't perfect but at least it lets you feel kinda giddy over turning into a clipboard and sliding under a locked door instead of going to find a code crumpled on a sticky note in the garbage near the I.T Station.

kirbysuperstar posted:

They might have pulled it off with better writers and not saying things like "mechanical apartheid", but we'll never know for sure

Endorph posted:

aug lives matter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i remember nothing about Mankind Divided except that they invented a slur for cyborgs

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

D is the only one really worth replaying for but it's still going to be largely the same. However doing ending D is necessary to unlock Ending E which is where a chunk of the new content in the game is.

The Colonel posted:

what was the deal with the mute assassin lady who just appears in a random building in montreal who you instantly kill with zero difficulty because the entire floor of her arena is water and the stun gun electrifies water

you dont need to go for ending c. you can just get d and see most of the interesting changes in that route, the stuff after that will require a bit more repetition but is entirely worth doing if you like kaine and emil at all

Oh interesting, I didn't know that I could effectively choose which ending I get on the third playthrough, I haven't really looked up anything about how to get Ending C/D/E (though I've gathered that E is new and sort of a different thing entirely). I just assumed they were all sequential. That feels more doable, I might just go for Ending D and look up what happens in Ending C.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i know those "things you should NEVER EVER EVER DO in your story" lists are 100% lame bullshit but if i had one, "never invent an in-universe slur" would be up there on the list

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i know those "things you should NEVER EVER EVER DO in your story" lists are 100% lame bullshit but if i had one, "never invent an in-universe slur" would be up there on the list

if you're going to invent one make it something iconically stupid, like taffer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't agree with that particularly, and I think it denies writers who have actually experienced discrimination and suffering an outlet for their own subject matter that doesn't have to involve adopting real world slurs and bigotry into a fictional narrative. if done poorly it sucks but unless you're just not going to tackle discrimination, bias and exclusion in a work then trying to intentionally exclude any kind of slur or bigoted word ends up being odd because that element of bigotry is one of the most prevalent and common in the world.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't agree with that particularly, and I think it denies writers who have actually experienced discrimination and suffering an outlet for their own subject matter that doesn't have to involve adopting real world slurs and bigotry into a fictional narrative. if done poorly it sucks but unless you're just not going to tackle discrimination, bias and exclusion in a work then trying to intentionally exclude any kind of slur or bigoted word ends up being odd because that element of bigotry is one of the most prevalent and common in the world.

see this is true sometimes but i think there's like one of these, and 99 other ones where the writer's great idea to make their game incredibly topical and important is something along the lines of "what if robots were like black people"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lol david cage

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I think that whole "aug lives matter" complaint is kind of overblown, since there's plenty of sci fi and fantasy media that invent a persecuted group to explore discrimination and its not seen as something silly or weird. The logic of how they're made an underclass to be discriminatet against makes sense imo.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

The Colonel posted:

Me: meticulously tries to get nothing but non-lethal takedowns for the entire game (the power where he kool-aid man’s through walls and automatically snaps an enemy’s neck doesn’t count, I had no idea that doesn’t have a nonlethal version)

Cutscene Adam, in response to being questioned if he’ll save the mute assassin lady: “I’ll think about it.” Assassin lady literally bleeds out mid scene

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

see this is true sometimes but i think there's like one of these, and 99 other ones where the writer's great idea to make their game incredibly topical and important is something along the lines of "what if robots were like black people"

Yeah, but the issue there isn't the use of a fictional slur but it being lazy and half-assed as a whole and that's a problem with anything. I think you'd end up with something that feels really false if you make it so people can only use polite official terms for groups of people they oppress and hate because a pretty notable element of bigotry is dehumanizing and disrespecting people.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i honestly have no idea why they even decided a deus ex game needed a boss squad with their own unique boss arenas. the original deus ex kinda had boss fights yeah but, it didn't have this big bad guy squad intro scene, it just had some bits where a guy would run in to try and kill you. only two of them were mandatory and you could just skip them with some brief exploration. walton simons even has unique dialog if you just run past him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it felt like it was an element from a completely different draft of the game that they never actually took out

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
otoh the funniest game for this is invisible war where billy's entire role is to be the stupidest motherfucker in the universe. if you let billy live she will just repeatedly teleport in front of you to go "i've been doing some thinking... and i think we both deserve Death. i am going to kill you because you are bad."

why does billy exist. why did they write in alex's childhood friend who is literally just the most breathtakingly stupid person to ever live

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The boss fights were literally outsourced which basically explains everything.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's games designed with cool and interesting boss fights in mind from the ground up, and there's throwing a boss fight squad in late in development because you think it'd be cool.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Colonel posted:

otoh the funniest game for this is invisible war where billy's entire role is to be the stupidest motherfucker in the universe. if you let billy live she will just repeatedly teleport in front of you to go "i've been doing some thinking... and i think we both deserve Death. i am going to kill you because you are bad."

sounds like my ex wife!!!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I still don’t know what the gently caress that final boss was supposed to be

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no you're all misunderstanding me

its not that im mad they tried to tackle racism via metaphor

its that they chose to express this metaphor by having a sign with 'aug lives matter'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

half-elf lives matter. look how stupid that is. come on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like the guy who is like, "i am going to join the weird rubber fetish robot army hive mind because they have big guns, and now i'm mad that they want me to be part of the robot hive mind". like it's not even a dark secret, the whole robot hive mind thing is like openly their entire ideology

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

half-elf lives matter. look how stupid that is. come on.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Endorph posted:

no you're all misunderstanding me

its not that im mad they tried to tackle racism via metaphor

its that they chose to express this metaphor by having a sign with 'aug lives matter'

i didnt play MD. was that the marketing team being stupid or was it in the actual game?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Feels Villeneuve posted:

okay but Morrowind rules

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

god what an idiotic movie

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i can't believe you'd say that about a film by the director of Suicide Squad

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Stexils posted:

i didnt play MD. was that the marketing team being stupid or was it in the actual game?

Yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stexils posted:

it was in the actual game, you could see it on posters and magazines and stuff.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nah, there are good stories with made-up slurs. My favorite fictional slur is https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Spoon_head - partly because the Cardassian character who hears the term has a great reaction to it when it's first used.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Out of the way, smooth skin.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
made-up fake slurs are almost universally really bad because its incredibly hard to not make them sound silly which then also encourages people to just start saying them because its hee hee so titillating so i end up logging onto the internet and see a bunch of people talking about knife-ears like thats a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think Impatom is right that it is noticeable when characters only ever refer to things by the trademarkable name but point. I don't remember if smooth skin counts as a slur tbh.