Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

harrygomm posted:

why does my governor keep preferring a 1/3 unimproved forest hill over my 1/4/1gold improved mine when i toggle the citizens to production? the one extra production affects the turn outcome of the unit in producing, too

There's a secret dice roll in the background for whether your governors think you're a dick or not. Its a really minor chance but it will make them try to subtly sabotage the city they're stationed in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If I was a governor I would simply keep changing the current production to a new unit each turn

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
See you'd be caught in a minute, magnus has been doing it to this dude probably the whole game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

harrygomm posted:

why does my governor keep preferring a 1/3 unimproved forest hill over my 1/4/1gold improved mine when i toggle the citizens to production? the one extra production affects the turn outcome of the unit in producing, too

I've noticed this as well. Sometimes the automated citizen management just prefers an inferior tile for no discernible reason.

There's another bad opinion from me: citizen management should be removed.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

harrygomm posted:

Most of the time that happens it turns out I had something like Gold set to 'deprioritize' in the citizen management. Mostly.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

My incorrect Civ opinion is that if you only have an hour to play a video game before bed it is OK and Good to set everything to random and restart the game 30 times looking for a potentially engaging combination of leader and early geography before turning the game off in frustration.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If I can survive long enough to get this city rolling, it's gonna be rolling.

e: Now that I've explored more I think this is even better.

e2: And I think I can have the capital steal a tile for an entertainment complex next to the theater square, giving it +6.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 25, 2023

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Campus would be better on the stone tile.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Fister Roboto posted:

There's another bad opinion from me: citizen management should be removed.

Let me expand on this bad opinion and make it worse:

The citizens should work whatever tiles they want and if you force them to work other tiles it should cause unhappiness

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Let me expand on this bad opinion and make it worse:

The citizens should work whatever tiles they want and if you force them to work other tiles it should cause unhappiness

Would make tile appeal more interesting at least.

e: Had two different surprise wars declared on me within 3 turns, and I haven't even researched industrial districts yet. Oh well.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 25, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
The deeper I get, the stupider 6 gets.

This appears to be all of the "appears as a lake" natural wonders.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

The deeper I get, the stupider 6 gets.

This appears to be all of the "appears as a lake" natural wonders.

Apparently it's a lake with freshwater in rise and fall, but coast without in gathering storm. :shrug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phosphine posted:

Apparently it's a lake with freshwater in rise and fall, but coast without in gathering storm. :shrug:

Lake Retcon

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Real life Lake retba has a salt content of 40% and the salt is in fact the entire reason it’s noteworthy since it gives the lake a pink color.

So it actually does make sense for it not to provide fresh water to cities. It should provide a copy of salt though

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 26, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
My real concern is Huey Teocalli. Not that I want to build it on a Wonder lake, but that it gives +1 food and production to all owned Lake tiles. Because the wonder lakes are not actually lakes, they get nothing.

I guess that means it interacts with other things that do things to Coast tiles, which is fine I guess. Still makes it harder to establish a city next to it.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 26, 2023

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah BE felt very cautious and suffered for it, basically offworld ciV with a tech web.

BERT introduced the best feature in any civilization game probably until the end of time: ocean settling and mobile cities. I don’t know how you’d do it with districts which are another favorite addition of mine but for a brief shining window you could roll up on someone’s coast not with your navy but with your god drat core territory.

Ocean settling was in alpha centauri. The expansion had a pirate themed civ that started in the ocean and even with the maluses it was one of the best civs if your map had enough water

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I could swear I'd won on emperor before, but anyway.

Stole a diplomacy victory a few turns before england finished space victory. Ironically, I got the last point from winning the international space station competition (and just barely, was in 2nd place until the last 3 turns). Was also fighting against losing 2 victory points every world conference (despite getting ridiculous amounts of diplo favor, you can't really go up against 40 votes against you), which was also 2 turns away from happening.

(Both of these screenshots from the turn after.)

I was playing an almost purely economic game, never caught up in science or culture (thankfully there were always 2-3 civs fighting for tourists so no one started to run away with that). Only had 4 cities until the industrial era, when I grabbed this ocean city.

68 production, 325 gpt from a city with one land tile. It had a second one but it sank into the sea before I could get flood barriers researched (which just meant room for another fishery, but I wish I could've had an industrial district).

Only got into one real war, with Monty near the end after he nuked england and the entire world teamed up against him. He had robots and my best unit at the time was an ironclad, but I was able to get up to parity and, after a few turns, ahead, just through pure spending.

I came out of that war with his capital and his adjacent cities starting to flip (he was in a dark age; I had golden age in the final era). (Also had an earlier war where I helped free a city-state that he captured.)

Forgot to screenshot my civics but at the end I was getting 100+ of each yield (except faith) from policy cards; around 800 for gold. The game is just too easy, even with unfair AI, when you can buy multiple bombers per turn.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i've got another stupid civ question: how can i tell what promotions a particular spy has? i had two spies both successfully complete the same kind of mission on the same turn and sent them back home. one had a promotion which means it needs to counterspy at home, the other needs to go on the offense and i can't tell which is which because the mission history doesn't differentiate and neither do the units afaict

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

harrygomm posted:

i've got another stupid civ question: how can i tell what promotions a particular spy has? i had two spies both successfully complete the same kind of mission on the same turn and sent them back home. one had a promotion which means it needs to counterspy at home, the other needs to go on the offense and i can't tell which is which because the mission history doesn't differentiate and neither do the units afaict

You can mouseover the little promotion medal thingy at the bottom when the unit is selected, and there's a tooltip telling you what the promotion is.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i must have a mod that unknowingly changes that. i use that all the time to tell apart my defensive vs offensive military units, but it's not there for spys. i'll look into that, thanks

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Yeah I use it all the time, because I have no capacity to remember what I did four turns ago. If you can't get the tooltip to show up then something weird is going on. You can try saving and restarting the game and it might come back :shrug:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Xerol posted:

Was also fighting against losing 2 victory points every world conference (despite getting ridiculous amounts of diplo favor, you can't really go up against 40 votes against you), which was also 2 turns away from happening.

You can mitigate this by voting against yourself. That way you get -2 but also +1 for winning the vote.

World Conference is probably the easiest to game part of the game.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Some kind soul made an open source Civilization V clone

Mostly gameplay complete, the UI and graphics are very ~developer art~ but they're functional. Supports modding and most interestingly, there's an Android port. It runs in landscape by default, but it has an (seemingly WIP) portrait mode that allows for one handed play. This is what I have always wanted out of a Civ game on my phone, the ability to pull my phone from my pocket play a few turns and slip it back all with one hand. No compromises to game rules, no GaaS, lootbox, microtransaction bullshit, just a full fledged Civ game that I can play casually.

It's pretty cool, it even has the Gods & Kings ruleset.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

SCheeseman posted:

This is what I have always wanted out of a Civ game on my phone, the ability to pull my phone from my pocket play a few turns and slip it back all with one hand.

:crossarms:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

:dong:

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Stupid sexy Teddy Roosevelt

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I often have enough long term plans during a game of Civ that I couldn't possibly brook the idea of "take a few turns then put it away for a while".

However, I can see that being incredibly useful for PBEM MP games. I'm guessing it doesn't support multilayer though?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Microplastics posted:

However, I can see that being incredibly useful for PBEM MP games. I'm guessing it doesn't support multilayer though?

It does, though only with other Unciv players. The client isn't network compatible with the original game since it's a remake of the ruleset on an entirely different engine, rather than full blown reimplementation/reverse engineering.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Well that sounds cool. Might have to see if I can spin up an unciv PBEM with some people.

Meanwhile, that new civ banner is pushing a survey https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7592229/Civ-Community-Survey-Dec-2023

post ur civ bucket list (sadly, no option for "i've never played it but i'm going to, one day")

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018

I would never have followed that link from the new banner, but I am glad to have seen it so I can give feedback on the direction of the franchise because every sign I see tells me the devs (or at least the publishers) sure loving need it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

just a kazoo posted:

I would never have followed that link from the new banner, but I am glad to have seen it so I can give feedback on the direction of the franchise because every sign I see tells me the devs (or at least the publishers) sure loving need it.

Yeah, thanks for linking that, some of the Qs are not promising. "How interested would you be in cross-brand promotion with Civ?" How about you fix the AI, make systems more transparent, etc. etc. etc...

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

I wrote in Dutch bros for cross promotion. Idk

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018

Judgy Fucker posted:

Yeah, thanks for linking that, some of the Qs are not promising. "How interested would you be in cross-brand promotion with Civ?" How about you fix the AI, make systems more transparent, etc. etc. etc...

The way they not-so-subtly teased their major change for the next civ being a global leaderboard is very concerning. It also felt as though they did this whole survey just to see how disappointed we all would be if the leader boards were platform specific or not.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"What country do you live in?"
And the list isn't loving alphabetized. I knew they were incompetent dumbasses but come on!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Maybe it's alphabetized by leader.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Very marketing-team stuff in that survey. Like for the things you enjoyed in civ6, "strong 4x mechanics" was maybe half an option, once, with a dozen options for "I like the fluff". Then they ask which genres you're currently playing, and it's a bunch of AAA stuff and nothing from yesteryear or current smaller studios; like no RTSs, Metroidvanias, nor Roguelikes.

I hope every goddamn survey dunking on the leaderboards sends a message.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh yeah I slammed massively uninterested all over leaderboards. Even if I was interested it wouldn't matter because takes a few days at the most and it's all just hackers, cheaters and exploiters on it anyway so why bother wasting time programming them?

Most of the answers seemed very unrelated to Civ, this wasn't made by people who have much of a clue about the game(s) at all, right?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, as I said it really feels like a marketing/infomatics team came up with that. And I know that's how big budget stuff works, things getting contracted out, but it's still amusing to see it in action. I worked casually on some tv adverts for a while and seeing the Agency people at 'work' was always a hoot.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Leaderboards of any variety means limiting mod support, which is a hard out from me lads. Losing something as absolutely fundamental to the experience as my fancy map tacks would make playing the game a miserable slog.

The only thing that survey has done is ensure that I won't purchase the next Civ game before it's been well and properly reviewed and I can watch some streamers to see if it's acceptable at all, like I should have done with 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018

Poil posted:

Most of the answers seemed very unrelated to Civ, this wasn't made by people who have much of a clue about the game(s) at all, right?

I don't know, I'm starting to think this survey was crafted by the same people responsible for programming worker AI