Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

FirstnameLastname posted:

havin a cuppa nightcoffee rn

stupid bitch.....now youre gonna eb night shittin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

good morning ☕

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

stupid bitch.....now youre gonna eb night shittin

course i am. gotta clear out for the nightmac

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
Going for those fast dreams

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the coveted Completely Evacuated Slumber

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Les Os posted:

stupid question:

my friend told me that some coffee brands outsource their stuff to other coffee companies then slap their label on it. I know booze does this too (bottled in vs. distilled in). what’s the point of this? why not just invest in making coffee or booze better than whoever you’re paying to make coffee for you. I get it from the side of the manufacturer: you got the means of production might as well get paid from multiple brands but what do the brands get out of it. something like coffee roasting or distilling booze can be done for cheap in someone’s backyard

Capitalism doesnt sell products, it sells feelings about products.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Les Os posted:

stupid question:

my friend told me that some coffee brands outsource their stuff to other coffee companies then slap their label on it. I know booze does this too (bottled in vs. distilled in). what’s the point of this? why not just invest in making coffee or booze better than whoever you’re paying to make coffee for you. I get it from the side of the manufacturer: you got the means of production might as well get paid from multiple brands but what do the brands get out of it. something like coffee roasting or distilling booze can be done for cheap in someone’s backyard
Ohtori gave a good example but i'd also give an example of a different angle: a lot of farmers market stalls are people just buying bulk produce from costco or wholesalers and putting them in bespoke wooden or wicker baskets and handmade signs with a cute stall name like The Frog x Estuary Farms and reselling them. are they doing anything wrong? depends on your point of view.

sure growing food can be done in someone's backyard and could make more money without buying from costco first, but it's still work, time, and capital, and maybe you still couldn't produce the quantities required. it's just managing excess supply arbitrage where where someone else has the farms and resources to overproduce and you take the overproduction and resell it

coffee roasting is not that cheap, proper roasting machines can be costly, having to sign import deals to get beans on a regular basis which could mean pre-signing a large contract that maybe doesn't sell well and having to stockpile it somewhere, managing the production and buying packaging machines and package materials, etc. there's often going to be excess capacity that people can basically sell to you that might be more profitable or smart business venture than investing your own capital and time into something that is better suited elsewhere (or not at all). I think you're underestimating how much work goes into it if you're serious about selling packaged in-house coffee beans

e: Think about it this way, you could sign a contract with a producer to produce beans, package them, label them to your spec and deliver them to your coffee shop for say $6/pack en mass basically no skin off your back. You turn around and resell them for $10/pack at your shop. You're basically making $4/pack profit off no labor or capital investment of your own. It's about as Free Real Estate! as you can get.

Or you could invest $100k into coffee roasters, ventillation systems, city permitting for smell/operating hours/whatever, buying packaging machine, label makers, and then spend 80-hours/wk of FTE labor to produce them for maybe around $5/pack. Is it worth the extra +$1/pack you earn in profit? Is it worth the payroll to hire people, having to be a manager to manage people and assign them schedules/jobs/etc just to produce them? Is that something you're going to loathe doing and be miserable managing people so you have to hire someone else to manage them while you do your bespoke brewing instead? Is it worth your time to run that if you aren't hiring a peon to do it? Do you have $100k to invest upfront for something that might not sell well? maybe if you know its going to be successful and sell out massive massive volumes, maybe not.

final thing i'll add: in my experience a number of actual bespoke in-house roaster guys are doing it more as a hobby that just so happens to pay the bills. they do it because they loving love roasting coffee themselves: love of the game, and not so much the money. it's actually a pretty bad value proposition for the labor they put in but that's moot. like there's that one computer touching cspam goon who quit computers and moved to farm in rural Vermont to farm maple syrup all day. i don't think it pays well but they enjoy doing it and it beats the 9-5 office grind. i've met a number of coffee roasters who are basically that goon. if you are in it for the money and business, then no it's not worth it to do it yourself

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:52 on Nov 28, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
also just narrowly beaten by a much more to-the-point Nix

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I love this inside baseball stuff

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Coffee coffee coffee - me before i've had my coffee

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
I’m having a coffee right now

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mags posted:

I’m having a coffee right now

same op

mags
May 30, 2008

:coffeepal:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

covfefe

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

louder for the people in the back

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I used to drink 5 or 6 cups a day of beautiful delicious coffee. Now I'm an old man with tachycardia and high blood pressure and I have to stop.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Did you know that after decades of drinking a pot or two a day, that quitting caffeine cold turkey can cause hospitalization or death?

mags
May 30, 2008

Fell Mood posted:

Did you know that after decades of drinking a pot or two a day, that quitting caffeine cold turkey can cause hospitalization or death?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Calm down, you look like hell. Have a cigarette, have some coffee

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

watch Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr to learn about what excessive coffee consumption does to a man. guy said he would drink 100 cups a day.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
COVID made me realize that the smell of fresh ground coffee in the morning is probably the thing I'd miss the most if I permanently lost my sense of smell.

I was using a jar of ground beans to test my smell constantly as I recovered :roll:

Fell Mood posted:

this used to be true but the Folger's corporation stopped putting real barbiturates into their products back in 1933, now they just extract out the active chemicals and leave the rest of the extract in for "flavor"

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Fell Mood posted:

just don't stop drinking coffee. idiot.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

i like coffee cause it makes me poo poo more

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

but the Folger's corporation stopped putting real barbiturates into their products back in 1933, now they just extract out the active chemicals and leave the rest of the extract in for "flavor"

r e t v r n

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

luv2shit posted:

i like coffee cause it makes me poo poo more

username/post combo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

covfefe

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
hamberders

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Fell Mood posted:

I used to drink 5 or 6 cups a day of beautiful delicious coffee. Now I'm an old man with tachycardia and high blood pressure and I have to stop.

lol ain't coffee's fault

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
the best liqueur to add to a latte or cappuccino is Tuaca. this is just an objective fact. you don’t need Bailey’s (there’s already dairy) you don’t need kahlua (there’s already coffee). brandy is the base liquor which complements coffee and Tuaca is brand-based. citrus and vanilla are both excellent flavors if you want to sweeten and boozen your coffee

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

eSports Chaebol posted:

the best liqueur to add to a latte or cappuccino is Tuaca. this is just an objective fact. you don’t need Bailey’s (there’s already dairy) you don’t need kahlua (there’s already coffee). brandy is the base liquor which complements coffee and Tuaca is brand-based. citrus and vanilla are both excellent flavors if you want to sweeten and boozen your coffee

something is wrong with you

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

i like tuaca. every time i read the name i think "tu-ac-ac-aca" like in the beginning of that nu metal song

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more like tucaca

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

good morning

waiting for the espresso machine to heat up. the cat died during the night

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I was using a jar of ground beans to test my smell constantly as I recovered :roll:

many ppl forget the smell organ is a muscle and if not trained it atrophies. a lot of post covid smell loss can be attributed to this.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

covfefe

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Lpzie posted:

many ppl forget the smell organ is a muscle and if not trained it atrophies. a lot of post covid smell loss can be attributed to this.

your earlier posts itt suggest you may be a Super Smeller. a lot roasters would pay top dollar for a schnoz like yours on their QC teams

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

snack soul posted:

good morning

waiting for the espresso machine to heat up. the cat died during the night

that sucks dude sorry. condolences

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Smythe posted:

that sucks dude sorry. condolences

thanks do you think the coffee is still salvageable though?

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

+ any tips on how to get it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

snack soul posted:

+ any tips on how to get it out