Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sapozhnik posted:

Even Normal difficulty is way too easy and you really ought to restart on Hard, but then that means slogging through all the opening cutscenes instead. Up to you.

Yeah people say that and then forget that they themselves have probably been playing fire emblems since the NES and want to tryhard min/max every stat and im not here for that i just wanna steamroll a couple of battles a night with my anime waifus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

The Moon Monster posted:

Someone should make a mod that replaces The Witness's TED talks with the Onion's parody TED talks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQcNYb3DydA

...hmm. Maybe I missed the point, but, I thought they kind of already did this? I thought the idea was it was like, almost a twist ending, "yeah you can learn a ton from first principles, but you have to think critically when learning from secondary sources"?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Serephina posted:

I assume Talos 2 was polite enough not to drop you off the deep end like the Ghenna DLC did. The first game's initial puzzles where very simple, not sure if that's more appropriate? I say that not to be condescending, poo poo can escalate in that game and it might be nice to have a background PhD in puzzle lasers.

Talos 2 starts you off with some simple tutorial puzzles, yeah. Things along the lines of "there is a ledge to high to jump up to, but there is also a box nearby you can pick up or stand on". Absolutely trivial if you played the first game, I assume it does a decent job of making you familiar with the objects if you didn't.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Talos 1 is freshman level philosophy and its funny to see anyone think its deep.

This is the laziest and most bitchmade critique and I see it everywhere OOO IT'S SO FIRST YEAR ok motherfucker school me with some wittgenstein then. Gonna go with logical atomism, or practical holism? Gotta hinge proposition for me? Or are you gonna cry?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

I can guarantee you that there are many things in all of your favorite video games that you appreciate but don't need to be there. What a strange criticism of something.

DontMockMySmock posted:

listening to/reading/thinking about interesting things is a form of fun play.

fair enough, it's still a little difficult for me to take philosophical stuff seriously in a video game

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

sebmojo posted:

This is the laziest and most bitchmade critique and I see it everywhere OOO IT'S SO FIRST YEAR ok motherfucker school me with some wittgenstein then. Gonna go with logical atomism, or practical holism? Gotta hinge proposition for me? Or are you gonna cry?

Yeah, I never really got this take either. It's not as if the latter stuff is 'deeper', really either, just more specific. I also don't agree that it's only 101 stuff anyway, but as I say I don't think that's relevant.

I also think it's cool that it never says like, "Gott ist tot" but it gets you to come around yourself to asking "what do I live for?". You know, it spoon feeds you, but it's never ham fisted.

It simultaneously makes me feel dumb and smart. Is there a word for that? Oh, also, it made me feel dumbsmart to realise that like how all zombie media is political, all cyborg media is philosophical.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

sebmojo posted:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

!Klams posted:

...hmm. Maybe I missed the point, but, I thought they kind of already did this? I thought the idea was it was like, almost a twist ending, "yeah you can learn a ton from first principles, but you have to think critically when learning from secondary sources"?

I'll be honest I left after like 20 seconds of the first few and didn't bother watching most of them at all. So if there really was one about having sex with robot dogs I wouldn't have seen it.

!Klams posted:

Yeah, I never really got this take either. It's not as if the latter stuff is 'deeper', really either, just more specific. I also don't agree that it's only 101 stuff anyway, but as I say I don't think that's relevant.

I also think it's cool that it never says like, "Gott ist tot" but it gets you to come around yourself to asking "what do I live for?". You know, it spoon feeds you, but it's never ham fisted.

It simultaneously makes me feel dumb and smart. Is there a word for that? Oh, also, it made me feel dumbsmart to realise that like how all zombie media is political, all cyborg media is philosophical.

Yeah, the reason you learn the 101 stuff in 101 is because it's the most relevant (polite way of saying least irrelevant) to people's lives as opposed to obscure academic slapfights, which you'll only need once you land that tenure position.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 29, 2023

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

The Moon Monster posted:

I'll be honest I left after like 20 seconds of the first few and didn't bother watching most of them at all. So if there really was one about having sex with robot dogs I wouldn't have seen it.

The impression I got, was (stupid as it sounds) you were meant to do that.

One of them is obnoxiously long, and it seemed (to me) to be saying, "Think for yourself, value yourself, don't just do what you think a computer game is asking you to do for the sake of chasing the arbitrary carrot" type thing.

As I said earlier, I think it was being kind of arch with those videos. Like a less on the nose but WAY more smug "would you kindly" reveal, if that makes sense.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Nice Van My Man posted:

You had one side that basically told you to never do anything because it was possibly going to destroy the world, one side that was totally bonkers and would give you quests that ultimately lead to you loving yourself over (but at least it was stuff for you to do), and then halfway through the 3rd side which revealed you were destroying the world but it's hosed anyway and it just wants to leave by any means necessary. I really like having to puzzle out what the meta game is even supposed to be: farming? combat? doing nothing and hoping for a plot shift? It was semi random, so hard to tell even if you'd already played before.

Besides Pathologic they also had a little 2D horror game Knock Knock that was along those lines, making you ask if you're attracting the monsters, scaring them away, or just inventing time wasting activities for yourself to make yourself feel better.

I can see why this type of game is unpopular. It both suffers from being generally aggravating due to the player being punished without knowing the reason, as well as people having access to the internet and just looking up what strategy to use.

Oh yeah, and some game called The Quest for Gravity? I think it was Icepick Lodge does Banjo Nuts and Bolts but I don't recall it being good even by my standards. All I remember is driving around some contraption I made covered in screaming babies, and I think the mechanic was you needed as many babies as possible screaming at once.

I really like Icepick Lodge games, especially Pathologic 2. They are inaccessible in a lot of ways though. Most games guide us towards winning, whereas Pathologic doesnt guide you at all and is really hostile towards the player. I remember doing some quest for some kid, getting back to the questgiver and all the kids were hanging from the rafters. A huge what the gently caress. You dont even know whats really going on and the game keeps getting harder and meaner. I love it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

!Klams posted:

The impression I got, was (stupid as it sounds) you were meant to do that.

I don't think so. I listened to part of an interview with jon blow, and I got the general impression that the six videos (and, probably, the audio log quotes) in The Witness are largely things that jon blow thinks are super meaningful to him personally and he just wanted to share them. Listening to him talk about how much he likes Rupert Spira and Gangaji for like ten minutes eventually made me turn the interview off.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah people say that and then forget that they themselves have probably been playing fire emblems since the NES and want to tryhard min/max every stat and im not here for that i just wanna steamroll a couple of battles a night with my anime waifus

RPGs are not very hard you can play one of the easy ones they're filled with waifus too, sometimes they're even more kawaii

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I really like Icepick Lodge games, especially Pathologic 2. They are inaccessible in a lot of ways though. Most games guide us towards winning, whereas Pathologic doesnt guide you at all and is really hostile towards the player. I remember doing some quest for some kid, getting back to the questgiver and all the kids were hanging from the rafters. A huge what the gently caress. You dont even know whats really going on and the game keeps getting harder and meaner. I love it.

Honestly i just didn't care for pathologic's commitment to being a walking sim. I got what it's going for but i think by that point i just didn't have the patience for it.

Also if you're playing to chill just play on easy, no shame in that. I don't mind playing European Extreme Maximum Nightmare on a nice vacation day but sometimes i'm just not looking for that noise.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Private Cumshoe posted:

RPGs are not very hard you can play one of the easy ones they're filled with waifus too, sometimes they're even more kawaii

I'm not really a JRPG guy but there is something weirdly charming about Fire Emblem, it might be the characters having cool names like Byleth and Casper but its just fun

its obviously a lot like advance wars but with magic n poo poo and thats just cool

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

DontMockMySmock posted:

I don't think so. I listened to part of an interview with jon blow, and I got the general impression that the six videos (and, probably, the audio log quotes) in The Witness are largely things that jon blow thinks are super meaningful to him personally and he just wanted to share them. Listening to him talk about how much he likes Rupert Spira and Gangaji for like ten minutes eventually made me turn the interview off.

Oh... God. Really? Yikes, ok. Well, gently caress me I guess. Yeah, ok, in which case, @The Moon Monster I apologise, yes, replace them all with Look Around You episodes.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

had (still having) so much fun with Elden Ring that I picked up Dark Souls Remastered, Dark Souls III, and Sekiro from the Steam sale. Just trying out the first Dark Souls now, going in completely blind again. Haven't left the tutorial place yet because there's areas I can't seem to get to but I wanna see if I can find a way before I leave.

It feels quite familiar coming from Elden Ring, and not as janky as I'd feared it might be because it was an early entry. There's some jank for sure, but it's not unpleasant, and some of it is probably from the momentum and camera movement being just subtly different enough from Elden Ring to throw me off.

I am far more wrinkly than the character I made during creation though, lol. Gonna guess this Humanity stuff the boss dropped has something to do with that. I picked the Deprived starter class and it's kinda fun being a zombie with purple hair running around in my underwear clubbing dudes. Almost makes me not wanna equip armor when I find some.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've been playing JRPGs most of my life at this point and I even love difficulty mods that make games like FFVII way harder than they are in the base game.

But stuff like Fire Emblem or FF Tactics are entirely different beasts. I've heard people explaining the "math" of FF Tactics battles and I am like...okay, I just won't be playing that, then. I'll stick to my turn-based or ostensibly turn-based ATB JRPGs, thank you very much. Similarly, I was very relieved when the SMT Devil Survivor games just turned out to be turn-based battles with a field element. That was fine.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
FFT is insanely easy tho aside from like a handful battles if you don't know what to expect

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Do yourself a favor and run through the FFT LP in the archive if only to see the main character turn into a flying ninja with a gun.

FFT has absolutely jank math happening but that only matters if you're cracking open some no life poo poo. You can go in blind and have some classes synergize in ways that just bust the game wide open.

It's a romp and did the Catholic church is bad schtick when it was still fun. It also got the baby's first politics and it's fine. It's all fine. The game is fun. Don't let number nerds ruin it.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

FFT knowingly and unapologetically gives you a completely overpowered character (Orlandu), and even goes out of its way to call it out as such as part of the story. This is not a game that's trying to be difficult.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I find it quite difficult, but that's also because I am absolutely terrible at that genre. I don't know why, I've just never been able to play them competently.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The best video game will always be zombo.com

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I dunno, zombo says you can do anything and that's a hollow statement that's never true in video games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i'm still mad they never brought final fantasy tactics to pal territories and i bought the gameboy final fantasy tactics advance thinking it was a re-release but it was just some dumb kids chucking snowballs at each other

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Zombo isn’t games, it’s real life

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm not really a JRPG guy but there is something weirdly charming about Fire Emblem, it might be the characters having cool names like Byleth and Casper but its just fun

its obviously a lot like advance wars but with magic n poo poo and thats just cool

Three Houses is v good but what I think I ended up realizing was that I liked Three Houses a lot more than I like Fire Emblem. It is very different to the other games in the series in a lot of ways.

btw if you picked Red team then be aware that it has some missable content. Here is a very gentle nudge to make sure you don't miss it: Make sure you talk to your house leader during the downtime sections. Especially if you talk to her one day and she says hey let's go on a day trip to do some stuff, because she won't ask you a second time.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 29, 2023

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Serephina posted:

I assume Talos 2 was polite enough not to drop you off the deep end like the Ghenna DLC did. The first game's initial puzzles where very simple, not sure if that's more appropriate? I say that not to be condescending, poo poo can escalate in that game and it might be nice to have a background PhD in puzzle lasers.

The first puzzles are indeed easy as poo poo. My problem was basically that I didn’t know how the tools worked, what with it being a tutorial minus the tutorial part. It’s a fun game so far

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Lol nice rage post moron. Welcome to the unpopular opinion thread bitch.

Edit: I played Talos 1 when it came out and its some lame existentialism that brings up nothing new. Of course tons of CS majors and people who have no self awareness think its good.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

had (still having) so much fun with Elden Ring that I picked up Dark Souls Remastered, Dark Souls III, and Sekiro from the Steam sale. Just trying out the first Dark Souls now, going in completely blind again. Haven't left the tutorial place yet because there's areas I can't seem to get to but I wanna see if I can find a way before I leave.

It feels quite familiar coming from Elden Ring, and not as janky as I'd feared it might be because it was an early entry. There's some jank for sure, but it's not unpleasant, and some of it is probably from the momentum and camera movement being just subtly different enough from Elden Ring to throw me off.

I am far more wrinkly than the character I made during creation though, lol. Gonna guess this Humanity stuff the boss dropped has something to do with that. I picked the Deprived starter class and it's kinda fun being a zombie with purple hair running around in my underwear clubbing dudes. Almost makes me not wanna equip armor when I find some.

I'm always happy to hear when someone starts playing DS1 for the first time! It definitely shows it's age and the combat is a bit slower than later games but I reckon you'll have a blast exploring Lordran since imo it has the best world design in the series.

One tip with regards to humanity since it's not explained in game is that in human form you can spend one humanity to kindle bonfires (requires another to reverse hollowing if hollow), this will increase the number of estus charges gained when resting at that bonfire. So that can be handy if you're really struggling in an area, humanity can also be used to restore your health too in a pinch but it's pretty sparse in the early game and can't be farmed until later so would only keep that as a last desperate option.

E: Keep us updated with your travels!

razamataza fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 29, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i'm still mad they never brought final fantasy tactics to pal territories and i bought the gameboy final fantasy tactics advance thinking it was a re-release but it was just some dumb kids chucking snowballs at each other

In many ways tactics advance is the better game

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Edit: I played Talos 1 when it came out and its some lame existentialism that brings up nothing new. Of course tons of CS majors and people who have no self awareness think its good.

looking at any media at all: "this is just some lame man vs something story that brings up nothing new"

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

keep going

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Blow is proof that being smart won't protect you from being online.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

pixel bitches posted:

In many ways tactics advance is the better game

hmm im just destined not to get on with tactical strategy games

i vividly remember one of the few times i got so angry at a game as to physically abuse it was advance wars 2 on the gba, don't remember the situation but i grabbed the cartridge out the console and flung it across the room, it actually wiped all my save data lmao

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFTA, FFTA2, and FFT are all 3 extremely different games and each of them are excellent in their own way.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I really dislike the "lol it's subject 101" take because it might well be someone's first contact with that subject, and i think that's pretty great. :shobon:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Me sitting down to play some acedemic's four hundred and ninety page doctoral thesis:

OH gently caress YEAH

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

hmm im just destined not to get on with tactical strategy games

i vividly remember one of the few times i got so angry at a game as to physically abuse it was advance wars 2 on the gba, don't remember the situation but i grabbed the cartridge out the console and flung it across the room, it actually wiped all my save data lmao

Tactics game tend to cause these kind of reactions because whenever you get your rear end handed to you, you can almost always identify what you could have done to prevent it, and odds are pretty good that you seriously considered doing that very thing. As you get better at anticipating enemy movements, they become a lot more palatable. The "see an enemy's movement range" feature is invariably your best friend.

Into the Breach is easily the best entry in the genre gameplay-wise by a country mile, if only because it goes out of its way to mitigate that via a number of different subtle mechanics. Runs are fairly brisk, you are given a mulligan per level, and the curveballs the game throws at you are rarely your own fault. But most importantly, you generally can see that you are about to gently caress up before fully committing to an action.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

Me sitting down to play some acedemic's four hundred and ninety page doctoral thesis:

OH gently caress YEAH

I excitedly name myself "Babyshaker Buttdestroyer" as I wait to have my worldview radically altered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Into the Breach is a puzzle game with a tactics game skin. There's almost nothing tactical about it, it's pure deterministic puzzling out the objectively correct action to take. If you think it's the best entry in the tactics game genre it's highly likely that you don't actually like tactical RPGs.

Good strategy games heavily feature prediction as a core part of the gameplay, working with incomplete information and accepting your failures alongside your victories is a key component of what makes them strategy games. They're about constantly adjusting to your successes and failures and the new states they place you in. I can understand not liking that but ITB removes that aspect entirely and imo can't be considered a strategy tactics game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 29, 2023