Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Just watched The Doom Generation, which honestly with the amount of splatter as well as that final act totally counts as horror, or at least it's adjacent enough that it would have counted for the October challenge. I may have a new favorite 90s movie. It felt like the unholy combination of John Waters and Peter Greenaway. Equal parts stunningly beautiful, poignant, sharp, and deeply deeply stupid. And Rose McGowan is unbelievable in it. I can't even call it dated because the dialogue was so alien I doubt it felt real even when it was contemporary. The Mortal Kombat scene was spectacular.

I only remember this because Skinny Puppy were in it briefly and cEvin Key got hurt pretty bad when it happened and made the news.

quote:

Ogre's first experience acting was alongside his Skinny Puppy cohorts in the film The Doom Generation. The film's director Gregg Araki, a Skinny Puppy fan, invited the band to play as a group of goons who attack a car. cEvin Key sustained several injuries from falling off the car; "[He] landed right on his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWCbJXuLbA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, it’s not even that cinematic or a fall either. Bummer. The only thing I remember from that movie is the one guy eating his own cum.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

surf rock posted:

I'm not really a horror movie fan

We... all become horror fans, eventually.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

surf rock posted:

I'm not really a horror movie fan, but this seems well-shot for the time and remains suspenseful at times. Joe Silver and the 1970s version of Adam Driver (whoever that was playing Tudor) were pretty good, but in general I was underwhelmed by the performances. It was less gross than I feared going in, fortunately. I wasn't very impressed by the special effects, but I'm not sure how they compare with their contemporaries.

i agree, Slither is quite well-shot and generally suspenseful! although I think the back half sacrifices suspense for fun-times goop and action shenanigans.

from memory the special effects in Slither were good fun, especially the physical stuff: big dumb wet props with a lot of slime and goop. that description generally ticks a lot of boxes for thread regulars, but it's got me wondering what the best practical FX showcases would be for someone not typically into horror.

maybe The Fly for pure-strain body horror. but the set design and suits and puppets in Alien are all time, a bit more subdued as well

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
If you want puppets, some of the wettest are in Mad God.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I remember seeing Slither in theaters with like 10 people in the audience and everyone was rifftracking it. Only time that's ever happened for me and it was a pretty good movie too

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

alf_pogs posted:

i agree, Slither is quite well-shot and generally suspenseful! although I think the back half sacrifices suspense for fun-times goop and action shenanigans.

from memory the special effects in Slither were good fun, especially the physical stuff: big dumb wet props with a lot of slime and goop. that description generally ticks a lot of boxes for thread regulars, but it's got me wondering what the best practical FX showcases would be for someone not typically into horror.

maybe The Fly for pure-strain body horror. but the set design and suits and puppets in Alien are all time, a bit more subdued as well

Shiver, the Cronenberg movie, not Slither the Cronenbergian comedy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

I remember seeing Slither in theaters with like 10 people in the audience and everyone was rifftracking it. Only time that's ever happened for me and it was a pretty good movie too

gently caress those people. They should go to hell

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can’t decide if Cobweb is a good movie for kids to watch or a great movie for kids to watch

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Shiver, the Cronenberg movie, not Slither the Cronenbergian comedy.

lol Christ hahaha well enjoy my effortpost

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ruddiger posted:

Can’t decide if Cobweb is a good movie for kids to watch or a great movie for kids to watch

It's a perfect step up from the traditional first horror movie. Like, it's got some creepy moments, and a few pretty gross kills, but I could see a kid who already is into adolescent horror being super into it.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Shrecknet posted:

Hey so Evilspeak basically makes the case for Satan worship, huh?

Yep.

The scariest thing in that movie, though, is a shirtless, sweaty Luca Brasi

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Shivers is kind of similar to Slither in involving little wormy parasite things, except instead of being out in the country it's in a Toronto apartment block, and instead of turning you into a collective meat goo they turn you into horny zombies.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I watched Fatal Frames after a youtube channel I like mentioned it was one of the weirdest movies of all time. And it is!

The director mostly did music videos, the main character is his wife (playing herself) and it feels like about 1/3 of the movie is just music videos. The rest of it is an attempt to ape the style of 70s giallo pictures that's kind of successful but feels more like a parody than a serious attempt. I won't spoil it since the plot's not really important anyway, but I will spoil the best loving thing in the movie.

This is the final role of Donald Pleasance and he actually passed away during filming. So how do they handle this? Pleasance's character (this is all through voiceover and a shadowed body double) announces that he's returning to the United States because "It's Halloween" and he received a tip about an old case. Then he walks away as they straight up just play the Halloween theme. This part truly did capture that 70s Italian movie flair, where copywrites were just things to think about and you could imply your film was a sequel to a much more popular US film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao wow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI4EpW_XSq4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pleasance actually died in 1981 on Halloween night, but the insane amount of coke he did before announcing Fear on SNL that night kept his body moving for another 15 years.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress those people. They should go to hell

2006 was a different time. I saw it with two friends and we were all predisposed high schoolers hating things that took a chance. One of my favorite things about the present day is that people are less abashed about enjoying fun stuff.

With that being said I still don't like Beau is Afraid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

2006 was a different time. I saw it with two friends and we were all predisposed high schoolers hating things that took a chance. One of my favorite things about the present day is that people are less abashed about enjoying fun stuff.

I went to a screening of Talk To Me that was mostly a bunch of heckling from dickheads, and one dude who was scrolling IKEA's online catalogue on his very bright iPhone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw SLiTHER opening night and dragged my buddies from middle school as well. They didn’t love it and were in fact weirded out lmao

I put SLiTHER’s opening day in my agenda book bc that’s how stoked I was for it.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Shivers is kind of similar to Slither in involving little wormy parasite things, except instead of being out in the country it's in a Toronto apartment block, and instead of turning you into a collective meat goo they turn you into horny zombies.
Where does Sharon Stone being video-surveilled in her high-rise apartment fit into this?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Cobweb was the best horror movie this year. When Evil Lurks was a close second.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Open Source Idiom posted:

I went to a screening of Talk To Me that was mostly a bunch of heckling from dickheads, and one dude who was scrolling IKEA's online catalogue on his very bright iPhone.

IKEA's online catalog sucks, no clue why you'd even bother.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dragonshirt posted:

Cobweb was the best horror movie this year. When Evil Lurks was a close second.

Cobweb has such a weird ending

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Cobweb has such a weird ending

In what way? That it was a pitch for a sequel, or a pitch for a series?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

it would be great if we never got another Cobweb movie and we as well as the main character had to live with the ramification of the end just in our minds. It would rob the potency of that ending a bit by giving us a sequel.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I liked but didn't love Cobweb. The last act is fantastic and if it was that good throughout it'd be on my shortlist for best of the year, but the first hour or so is only OK.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In what way? That it was a pitch for a sequel, or a pitch for a series?

That's how I felt about it yeah; a pitch for more

Just odd

Homelander makes some great faces tho

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well now I wanna watch it if starr is in it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Well now I wanna watch it if starr is in it

You should, you'll love the backend of it a whole lot

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Starr has the best "I'm smiling but also an inch away from bashing your skull in" face

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Homelander is the greatest character in any tv show.
Any time he’s in on screen I’m constantly enthralled and nervous on what he’s going to do next. The amount of times he’s just eviscerated people out of nowhere is incredible

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I liked Cobweb less because gently caress that kid, bring back Starr and Caplan.

Whenever they weren't on screen I was just waiting for them to come back.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
remember that time Aunty Donna killed Antony Starr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Jk0E4alrY

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gey muckle mowser posted:

Starr has the best "I'm smiling but also an inch away from bashing your skull in" face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fno5aFcJQF0
yep the dude just rocks at giving that quiet storm energy, but can hold it the entire time without really letting it explode (but then lets the full energy pop later in a season of television like Banshee where you're just waiting for him to go full beast mode).

If he weren't already tied to one super hero franchise he would've easily been a pick for Wolverine years ago. He's a smol guy.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I was surprised only like one person had Cobweb in their top films. Maybe had that "feels like two different films" thing going on but I thought both were great. First part slow and creepy and really kept you guessing then second part gently caress that and let's bring in a bunch of mooks to murder the hell out of.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
It's a Goosebumps-rear end movie with some healthy murder-durder, which makes it too much of a boy for Crazytown and too crazy for Boystown for some folks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It did have the best non-Saw, non-Evil Dead Rise kill of the year too when the kid gets dragged under the piano.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Cobweb feels like a movie people will rediscover in 10-15 years and be like "how did this one slip under the radar?"

I found it solidly "okay" but I can't deny the Halloween vibes were off the charts and this feels like a really good horror movie to share with a youngster in your life who might be interested in the genre.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s some grade A rubber mask bad guys in cobweb as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Suitable Flesh a lot of fun a lot of gore a lot of Barbara Crampton its got all the good stuff