Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s fun bein a zoomer and readin the olds’ takes on what even older olds think of us

Hate to break to ya from my time in the burger mines, the lovely managers are like 30-45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is my perception. Young people genuinely do lack some of the PC-specific variety of tech skills, but the complete helplessness is actually a skill unto itself: playing dumb to make things someone else's problem rather than showing initiative that will get you yelled at if it fails, or get you saddled with more work if it succeeds. They know how to keep expectations low.

Under promise and over deliver is a good skill set to learn.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It’s kind of interesting because I’m 35 and I do like, the bare minimum amount of work I need to do in my 40 hours a week I work. If someone schedules a 4:30pm meeting I tell I’m out at 4pm. At 4pm I let everyone know I gotta go and hang up and go home for the day. I present the work that I did and don’t really care much about what I didn’t do. If I don’t have something ready/done I just say that and update the team. It’s very low stress.

The younger fresh out of college guys seem to always be stressed about deadlines and poo poo. They’re staying more than 8 hours to cram and get poo poo done. To me it’s like they don’t understand that there’s literally no reason to stress about poo poo at work.

I’m sure part of it is experience related. I prolly do have the experience and job security (and funds to live, should my job not be as secure as I thought) to not care as much as a 22 year old that just graduated and has student debt.

Who knows. Maybe I’m just “that guy” at work who’s unreliable but I usually deliver what I say I will. It’s just if some unforeseen thing comes up to make it more difficult than I originally thought and takes a few hours I just shrug and tell the team I need some extra days. The younger guys seem to stress themselves into cramming those few more hours to meet the original schedule.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

WarpedLichen posted:

At the same time, new hires got so used to online resources and guides for nearly everything that they're not used to just trying poo poo and seeing what sticks. So they're more expecting of documentation and guides instead of people used to digging through lovely reference manuals that are wrong half the time. But the old approach had all sorts of problems too, so as long as the company provides an environment and culture where questions are easy to ask and quick to be answered, it's not too bad.
Yeah, exactly - there were problems with the “old ways” and there are good things about the “new ways.” Like, maybe millennials couldn’t lead a meeting or set a schedule as well as boomers, so the boomers thought, these kids are no good! But they made up for that by being able to type an email, and maybe even figure out what to do if an attachment bounces, within a minute or two, instead of the absolute saga that is for most people over 55. So they had less meetings to run, and it was easier to keep a looser schedule.

So the incoming generation definitely has weaknesses that are unique to their circumstance, but also strengths. I think they are good at processing large amounts of information, which they mostly use for frivolous crap because they’re kids, but with professional guidance it will be a strength. I think they may value learning new skills more than previous generations, because of greater exposure to a world with more unstable careers. And it appears they have prior generations licked in terms of emotional and social intelligence. All of that will make up for the deficiencies they bring with them to the workforce, and in 20 years they’ll just be a normal part of work culture like our quirks are. .

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I work for a small entry level manual labor company. People who do as little as possible here don't last long. We had one young guy openly declare he wouldn't work any harder than our "least capable" employee (an older woman who's kept on more as a favor to her, as she has no transportation nor retirement). gently caress these big corporations and all, but you don't "quiet quit" on a small team like this, it hurts us all. Have some loving dignity!

New employees generally seem increasingly less durable. We work outside, all weather all year, sometimes it sucks, but you get treated as a human being. I understand the impulse to do as little as possible and collect a paycheck... but everybody wanting to do that is yet more evidence of a broken system, already dead.

*edit* it's cold as gently caress out there sometimes, but if you're in good health simply hustling warms you right up. Work a little faster, move like ya wanna be there. But a lot of new folks shut right down, shocked that anybody should be expected to attempt such a thing. The suggestion you find out what you're capable of runs into an almost literal "why should I have to work hard"- well because otherwise you will just sit there whining and shivering of course!

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 29, 2023

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hate to break to ya from my time in the burger mines, the lovely managers are like 30-45

I keep saying millennials are the new boomers, but no one in my own generational cohort believes me. Alphas are going to be fuckin ruthless.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Misunderstood posted:

How many times and ways do people have to explain that actually, a lot of things got a lot better, and people just don't realize it?
I know you're kind of implicitly putting this in the POV of "casual liberals"

This was like two days ago but the thread exploded. Sorry, I should've been clearer that I was indeed meaning that from that POV as an explanation for the lethargic poll numbers. People don't believe things are really getting better.

D-Pad posted:

A big complaint I've been seeing from the olds about this new generation in the workforce is that when they say they value work/life balance they actually mean it. Those aren't the words they use but it is basically what it boils down to. This generation does not view work the same and considers that balance to be super important and will have no problem walking if they don't get it. Boomer management has been talking up work/life balance for a couple decades now but more as a marketing slogan than actually meaning it. This new generation is calling their bluff and telling them to gently caress off when they don't get it.

Good for them imo

And this is like the flip side of that, imo. Why bother working hard when it's a mug's game? There is almost never a reason to invest any amount of care or effort into your job anymore and anybody telling you there is is just trying to extract more labor from you, and the kids know it even if they don't use those terms.

Maybe they are lovely employees but employment is poo poo itself.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BRJurgis posted:

I work for a small entry level manual labor company. People who do as little as possible here don't last long. We had one young guy openly declare he wouldn't work any harder than our "least capable" employee (an older woman who's kept on more as a favor to her, as she has no transportation nor retirement). gently caress these big corporations and all, but you don't "quiet quit" on a small team like this, it hurts us all. Have some loving dignity!

New employees generally seem increasingly less durable. We work outside, all weather all year, sometimes it sucks, but you get treated as a human being. I understand the impulse to do as little as possible and collect a paycheck... but everybody wanting to do that is yet more evidence of a broken system, already dead.

*edit* it's cold as gently caress out there sometimes, but if you're in good health simply hustling warms you right up. Work a little faster, move like ya wanna be there. But a lot of new folks shut right down, shocked that anybody should be expected to attempt such a thing. The suggestion you find out what you're capable of runs into an almost literal "why should I have to work hard"- well because otherwise you will just sit there whining and shivering of course!

So I’ve heard the phrase “quiet quitting” before but didn’t know what it was. Looked it up and google sez

quote:

Quiet quitting is when employees continue to put in the minimum amount of effort to keep their jobs, but don't go the extra mile for their employer.

lol

Why in the gently caress should I “go the extra mile for my employer” lmao that’s such a boomer thing to do

My relationship with my employer is that they pay me for 40 hours of work so I clock in for 40 hours and get the poo poo done that needs to be done to keep stuff on track. I’m not doing more than that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Quiet quitting was a newest vocab word, but was made fun of so hard that the corp overlords stopped its push.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

BRJurgis posted:

To be fair to that kid, it kinda sucks poo poo to see directly that someones sincure is being very directly propped up by your work, especially if your also getting a "gently caress the new guy" pay cut, or feel like your getting that pay cut because your team has a freeloader. Keeping someone old on a sincure is directly apparent in a way your manager pocketing his inflationary price hike isn't. Blatant favoritism is, unsurprisingly, corrosive to moral no matter how justified it feels to the oldest members of the team.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I’ve heard the phrase “quiet quitting” before but didn’t know what it was. Looked it up and google sez

lol

Why in the gently caress should I “go the extra mile for my employer” lmao that’s such a boomer thing to do

My relationship with my employer is that they pay me for 40 hours of work so I clock in for 40 hours and get the poo poo done that needs to be done to keep stuff on track. I’m not doing more than that.

If everybody does as little as possible there is no more small business. Plus literally "moving fast enough to keep your body temperature up" is a rather intuitive baseline.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

To be fair to that kid, it kinda sucks poo poo to see directly that someones sincure is being very directly propped up by your work, especially if your also getting a "gently caress the new guy" pay cut, or feel like your getting that pay cut because your team has a freeloader. Keeping someone old on a sincure is directly apparent in a way your manager pocketing his inflationary price hike isn't. Blatant favoritism is, unsurprisingly, corrosive to moral no matter how justified it feels to the oldest members of the team.

It's demonstrative of the consideration given to employees, something I've not experienced in almost any other job. And she's a massive headache to the owners to boot, but they know she is completely hosed without this income and contribution to her retirement.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The difference is the kid doesn't expect anyone will take care of him in his retirement.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Quiet Quitting isn't "doing as little as possible", it's "doing exactly what your defined job duties say"; i.e. not allowing them to pile on extra duties without any increase in compensation or being forced to work outside your predefined job hours. "Going the extra mile" etc. is just corporate-speak for: "we're going to exploit the poo poo out of you until you burnout and quit and/or die".

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Star Man posted:

I keep saying millennials are the new boomers, but no one in my own generational cohort believes me. Alphas are going to be fuckin ruthless.

And then when the Zoomers get older they'll be the lovely managers. Tale as old as time.

I'm reasonably certain that 1000 years from now people will still be complaining about their lovely managers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah my company just went through a bunch of layoffs. Included were people that were here for over a decade. People who basically lived and breathed this place and were always giving 110%. Let me tell you it didn't make me want to go that extra mile because why bother?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Almost a decade ago at one of my old jobs, I basically stopped doing anything but the minimum required of my job because they refused to give me a raise despite piling more and more responsibilities on me (this was in retail). Funny enough right after I did that they ended up having to give me a raise anyway because of changes to the state's Minimum Wage law. Even more funny, despite "quiet quitting" I essentially ended up getting my only perfect performance review while working there after I stopped giving so much of a poo poo.

The way most companies expect their workers to have this fanatical devotion to them despite doing little to nothing to reward such actions is terrible.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The difference is the kid doesn't expect anyone will take care of him in his retirement.

Our systems are bullshit, but we need at least some people need to be able to take care of themselves and others. It speaks towards the "learned helplessness" somebody was describing. It's not strength or wisdom to unnecessarily identify as a dependant, even if I understand why one would if they work for a big evil company. How can we hope to change and overcome the unjust unsustainable monster we've built if we aren't willing to endure and be strong? I can take pride in my work, even if it amounts to making rich people's properties look nice (see my avatar to understand the seperation).

plainswalker75 posted:

Quiet Quitting isn't "doing as little as possible", it's "doing exactly what your defined job duties say"; i.e. not allowing them to pile on extra duties without any increase in compensation or being forced to work outside your predefined job hours. "Going the extra mile" etc. is just corporate-speak for: "we're going to exploit the poo poo out of you until you burnout and quit and/or die".

Sure fine maybe I used the wrong vocabulary. But purposely doing as little as possible at a small company should rightly earn you the ire of your coworkers, and the opportunity to go work somewhere else where that's all they expect.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BRJurgis posted:

"Our job does not equip us for the site conditions, forcing us to hustle (ie work faster than we typically would) simply to stay warm."

BRJurgis posted:

Our systems are bullshit, but we need at least some people need to be able to take care of themselves and others. It speaks towards the "learned helplessness" somebody was describing. It's not strength or wisdom to unnecessarily identify as a dependant, even if I understand why one would if they work for a big evil company. How can we hope to change and overcome the unjust unsustainable monster we've built if we aren't willing to endure and be strong? I can take pride in my work, even if it amounts to making rich people's properties look nice (see my avatar to understand the seperation).

It's not strength or wisdom to endure terrible conditions in an unjust unsustainable job for your employer's benefit. It's fine for you to enjoy your work, you don't get to demand that everyone else does

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 29, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

so what is a switchgear, and do you know it good enough to adequately explain it to be an internet rando ?

It's like a reployer

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Agents are GO! posted:

It's like a reployer

What about a turbo encabulator?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I believe a switchgear is how missiles know where they aren't, so not much encabulator overlap

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Obviously every single job requires the same number of hours by the same number of people to accomplish work of equivalent value.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BRJurgis posted:

Our systems are bullshit, but we need at least some people need to be able to take care of themselves and others.

Oh sure you aren't wrong. Our entire society is one giant prisoner's dilemma constantly collapsing into a single unified gently caress-you singularity.

But the new kid is behaving rationally. Everyone else he meets in our whole society has picked "betray", so he doesn't even know how to recognize "cooperate" when he sees an employer picking that option.

You need to convince the new kid that if he contributes, the team will help him the same way they help that lady.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 29, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BRJurgis posted:

Sure fine maybe I used the wrong vocabulary. But purposely doing as little as possible at a small company should rightly earn you the ire of your coworkers, and the opportunity to go work somewhere else where that's all they expect.

I don’t take pride in my work because idgaf. It’s not that I hate my work. I enjoy what I do and it’s what I want my career to be and I do enjoy my coworkers for the most part. But I’m not gonna invest “extra” to going the extra mile.

So if I say I’ll have these results sent out by 4pm Friday, and it’s 4pm Friday and I’m not done? I’m just gonna send an email saying it took a bit more time/was more difficult than anticipated so I won’t be sending out results today. And then I’ll home and enjoy my weekend and not stress or worry about work.

I only brought up my anecdotes because it seems like it’s the young guys here that would stress themselves working til 6pm or spending Saturday afternoon on the laptop to get this done.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I think there is a middle ground between “go the extra mile for your employer” and “give a poo poo about what you spend your day doing” and everybody should do the latter. Forget your employer, you have customers or clients or coworkers that rely on you and at the very least you have to do right by them.

I also think people are kind of discounting that there are many, many employers who reward high effort through promotion or increased compensation. Not all of them do, and not all of them are good at measuring that effort, but people do not perceive themselves as having no self-interest in performing their job well.

Angry_Ed posted:

Even more funny, despite "quiet quitting" I essentially ended up getting my only perfect performance review while working there after I stopped giving so much of a poo poo.
drat it feels good to be a gangsta. Flash a little confidence and The Bobs can’t wait to give you a raise, no matter how little you do.

But, you know, that guy had a supernatural phenomenon relaxing him and he was dating Jennifer Aniston. You probably can’t be that confident so it’s easier to just do your job well.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Star Man posted:

Mustang posted:

And then when the Zoomers get older they'll be the lovely managers. Tale as old as time.

I'm reasonably certain that 1000 years from now people will still be complaining about their lovely managers.

Yeah, every generation will become "the new boomers" as they age and the the younger generations complain about them. People and their priorities and way they look at and handle life and interpersonal interactions change as they get older. Zoomers laughing at millennials will be in the same spot in 20 years. Though that's not to say they'll necessarily be the same exact kind of person, but relative to the younger generation they'll be the "out of touch olds" and so on

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I guess at some point we got rid of basic computer training? I’m an older millennial so I was like 12/13 or so when the Internet was really accessible

Well, think about it like cars. Basic car maintenance used to be accessible. They'd even teach mechanic classes in high school. Now, thanks to everything in the car being connected to a computer, most car maintenance procedures and repairs have to be done by the dealer or someone "certified".

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

There's a difference between "doing your job, as agreed" and "making sure to work Capital's balls" and you're veering towards the latter rather than the former. It's good to take pride in your work, it's not good to take pride in being exploited.

Frankly, I was in a similar position at my last (and final, probably) job. At least 60% of my department was comprised of people who had better, grandfathered-in benefits, were paid almost $10 an hour more than me, and who's job skills consisted primarily of "had been here for twenty years." I learned to do exactly what my job was and not a whit more (like tech support for things they refused/were unable to learn.) Being openly a second-class employee while you watch useless people prosper erodes any "pride in ones work" very quickly.

I want to make a joke about "taking pride in comprehending what other people are saying" but every iteration was over hostile, so I'll just leave it at: your attitude on this subject is gross and wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Misunderstood posted:

I think there is a middle ground between “go the extra mile for your employer” and “give a poo poo about what you spend your day doing” and everybody should do the latter. Forget your employer, you have customers or clients or coworkers that rely on you and at the very least you have to do right by them.

I also think people are kind of discounting that there are many, many employers who reward high effort through promotion or increased compensation. Not all of them do, and not all of them are good at measuring that effort, but people do not perceive themselves as having no self-interest in performing their job well.

drat it feels good to be a gangsta. Flash a little confidence and The Bobs can’t wait to give you a raise, no matter how little you do.

thats kinda where i am at. I work for a contractor call center and luckly still work from home and get decent pay for the area plus two raises and a bonus this year alone. My issue is i feel stuck. there isnt really any option for climbing the ladder outside maniger and thats double the work load and maybe two bucks more pay. Id love to work somewhere else that id love but i am 32 and while my resume is ok, its not amazing(2 years at this job plus a year total of retail) and i am just kinda burned out from the same 3 loving calls every day. now i am stuck here longer because of insurance poo poo. I am happy enough because i have money for stupid hobbies and rent and poo poo, but gently caress. I keep being told to go be a teacher but i am pretty sure i can't pass the math requierments. idk. my view is yours. i try my best mostly at work but i also give less and less of a gently caress.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

Yeah, every generation will become "the new boomers" as they age and the the younger generations complain about them. People and their priorities and way they look at and handle life and interpersonal interactions change as they get older. Zoomers laughing at millennials will be in the same spot in 20 years. Though that's not to say they'll necessarily be the same exact kind of person, but relative to the younger generation they'll be the "out of touch olds" and so on

This may be true to an extent but I'm skeptical that any generation will ever be as lovely about it as the Boomers, given their fanatical devotion to pulling the ladder up behind them as thoroughly as possible.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I go the extra mile working if I'm getting paid to do what I went to college for.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

There's a difference between "doing your job, as agreed" and "making sure to work Capital's balls" and you're veering towards the latter rather than the former. It's good to take pride in your work, it's not good to take pride in being exploited.

Frankly, I was in a similar position at my last (and final, probably) job. At least 60% of my department was comprised of people who had better, grandfathered-in benefits, were paid almost $10 an hour more than me, and who's job skills consisted primarily of "had been here for twenty years." I learned to do exactly what my job was and not a whit more (like tech support for things they refused/were unable to learn.) Being openly a second-class employee while you watch useless people prosper erodes any "pride in ones work" very quickly.

I want to make a joke about "taking pride in comprehending what other people are saying" but every iteration was over hostile, so I'll just leave it at: your attitude on this subject is gross and wrong.

Can you comprehend "small business"? They run this from their house, which is full of our work materials and gear, as well as a beer fridge which we can enjoy together after work if we choose.

Is all work exploitative? Does simply existing within the USA make any earnest effort foolhardy?

I don't mind that a lonely semi literate old woman isn't working as hard as me, because she's a victim of all this too. If seeing that "useless person prosper" is so offensive to you perhaps reconsider your definitions of gross and wrong.

Edit* keeping enough of a pace to get your blood flowing, at a manual labor job, isn't working capitals balls. It is what you signed up to do. Can't wait to finally establish a commune where nobody will farm or dig latrines cuz its hard work nobody should have to do.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 29, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Small businesses don't get a free pass to exploit workers and I've seen a number that are worse than big businesses at loving over their employees

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This may be true to an extent but I'm skeptical that any generation will ever be as lovely about it as the Boomers, given their fanatical devotion to pulling the ladder up behind them as thoroughly as possible.

As a millenial I kind of expect that millenials will do the same. At some point the boomers will finally die off and a massive wealth transfer will take place to their genx/millenial kids. Millenials have been screwed their entire lives and so when they finally get theirs its going to be gently caress you to everybody below them. Like imagine being 60 years old and still having student loans and living paycheck to paycheck and your parents finally die and leave you the house etc. That situation won't be applicable to everybody (my parents dont have poo poo to leave me for example), but I have quite a few friends that are in this exact scenario and I do not expect them to be magnanimous when they finally get a little extra late in life.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Every year money consolidates more in the hands of a few (AI is gonna help accelerate this even more) and every year the effects of climate change continue to accelerate, do as little as you can get away with IMO, enjoy what time you have while you have it. Can't imagine zoomers will ever get to have anything approaching the mid-late 20th century concept of retirement regardless of how hard they work.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

BRJurgis posted:

If everybody does as little as possible there is no more small business. Plus literally "moving fast enough to keep your body temperature up" is a rather intuitive baseline.

"Oh well, what a shame, nevermind" for the first part of this, why the hell should you care if someone's business goes under if they aren't paying me enough to give a poo poo?

The houses will be spent on retirement living, for a lot of folks anyway.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 29, 2023

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Some of the most good ol boy poo poo imaginable wow. Please look at this from the perspective of the youth who has never had a chance to ever save, even in theory, seeing a boss tax for bosses discretionary socialism for bosses good ol gal friend.

Your boss is picking the new guys pocket (new guy literally can't afford it) and the new guy knows it's never coming back around, because boss and business won't be around.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 29, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Misunderstood posted:

But, you know, that guy had a supernatural phenomenon relaxing him and he was dating Jennifer Aniston. You probably can’t be that confident so it’s easier to just do your job well.

At least with my field the pay raises come from horizontal job movements these days. You don’t work at Boeing for 30 years anymore to get that payout when you retire. You simply change jobs to do more of the same but with a higher pay or better perks.

Which also makes it so I don’t care about the long term success of my current job because why would I

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BRJurgis posted:

Can you comprehend "small business"? They run this from their house, which is full of our work materials and gear, as well as a beer fridge which we can enjoy together after work if we choose.

Is all work exploitative? Does simply existing within the USA make any earnest effort foolhardy?

I don't mind that a lonely semi literate old woman isn't working as hard as me, because she's a victim of all this too. If seeing that "useless person prosper" is so offensive to you perhaps reconsider your definitions of gross and wrong.

Edit* keeping enough of a pace to get your blood flowing, at a manual labor job, isn't working capitals balls. It is what you signed up to do. Can't wait to finally establish a commune where nobody will farm or dig latrines cuz its hard work nobody should have to do.

Why is labor different than any other economic exchange? If I make someone give me things I haven't paid for that's robbery, why is it different when my employer makes me give them labor they haven't paid for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Which also makes it so I don’t care about the long term success of my current job because why would I

Yeah when I left my previous employer after 14 years I did a lot of extra work in a few weeks to leave them in a really good spot because "they're my friends too" but you know what, I never talk to any of them anymore just under a year and a half later. So why did I give a gently caress when it wasn't my turn to give a gently caress.