Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

any y'all like final fantasy 7

Its so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Not very good. I bounced off a few chapters in and convinced Bardak to give it a spin. I think it was too boring for him to finish.

I finished it! That Bardak bloke might not have, can't speak for them.

Its just really dull mechanically and the story is poorly translated and disjointed to the point of disinterest. It also does one of my least favorite things where they have a point based skill system but you just arbitrarily stop getting points when leveling up at a certain point which for me was well before the end of the game.

Edge of Eternity is also real not good, just hoo boy not good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Barudak posted:

I finished it! That Bardak bloke might not have, can't speak for them.

My phone always straps out the U but typically I catch it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Rascyc posted:

When you do the optional stage for recruiting Lindl, you'll get a book that can craft a few more guns. It's just before Heim.

Timing on PoTD is complicated. It's generally suggested to ignore it on your first playthrough on the caution of burning out. When you start worlding, you'll want to world back to a Chapter 4 anchor and clear it in Chapter 4 for Coda related reasons. Then you'll clear it a second time (with shortcuts unlocked) in Coda when the story tells you to go there. This isn't set in stone though, some people dip into PoTD early for reasons like recruiting Deneb or getting access to some spells/relics - feel free to do some of this in Chapter 4 as well. It's easier to do it after Heim if you do this due to the increased level cap but some people go even earlier. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about any of this, it's all pretty complicated.

1 damage shuriken is just flavor. Same with Ozma being able to just shout at someone for her ranged attack.

I honestly forget, did they change so you no longer have to go down to a certain floor and fight a certain boss before you finish Act 4 if you want the floor skips to still work during the postgame? I think they did, but I might be misremembering. God, even though the Remaster sanded off some of the rough edges, TO:LUCT is a game that does it utmost to hide content away from you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Azran posted:

I honestly forget, did they change so you no longer have to go down to a certain floor and fight a certain boss before you finish Act 4 if you want the floor skips to still work during the postgame? I think they did, but I might be misremembering. God, even though the Remaster sanded off some of the rough edges, TO:LUCT is a game that does it utmost to hide content away from you.

You don't have to do that during Act 4, but you still have to go down to floor 100 and beat whatever boss is there to get the recipe to make the floor skipping items. I know someone who did that during the Coda and could then use the skip floor item at any point in the game.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Schwarzwald posted:

SO2:R is kind of the game I was hoping the 7 remake would be, which is baffling to my inner 13-year-old.

Monster Rancher, Tactics Ogre, and SO2 all getting good releases in the last few years has been a joy for my inner teenage self. Sadly Grandia will never get that sort of treatment.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Azran posted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You don't have to do that during Act 4, but you still have to go down to floor 100 and beat whatever boss is there to get the recipe to make the floor skipping items. I know someone who did that during the Coda and could then use the skip floor item at any point in the game.
Yeah specifically I think they lifted the requirement of needing the special Chapter 4 Floor 100 boss dead in the Warren report. Now you just have to craft the guides per the spoiler, and make sure the mini boss died at some point on floor 3. If you get yourself in a weird world state despite having the guides and want to use them from the get go, then just go in to kill the mini boss and retreat/re-enter and use the shortcuts normally. This is basically so you can do Coda 2 Potd -> Chapter 4 PotD in reverse if you wanted to, or just never do Chapter 4 PoTD ever if you don't care about the achievement or quest line without impacting the Coda story.

I haven't done any of this personally though, I've only ever heard of small handful of people who have done it this way. I'm not brave enough to test it cause PotD is practically an entire game in itself.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 30, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Spiggy posted:

Monster Rancher, Tactics Ogre, and SO2 all getting good releases in the last few years has been a joy for my inner teenage self. Sadly Grandia will never get that sort of treatment.

I am extremely worried about the Suikoden 1 & 2 remaster since what little we've seen of it wasn't good. Hopefully the delay until next year will be enough time to make it worthwhile. On the other hand, Konami.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is there any game as disrespectful to its own series as lunar dragon song was???

I am genuinely very curious

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
third birthday

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just want PC Final Fantasy Tactics, Squeenix pleeeeeeease.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i feel like its sorta incredible that the PSP one came out, another seems unlikely

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meowywitch posted:

is there any game as disrespectful to its own series as lunar dragon song was???

phantasy star gaiden

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Meowywitch posted:

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

third birthday

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Ocarina of Time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like Front Mission is the winner of this in my mind because they killed the franchise twice with complete revamp titles, a decade apart from each other who both are awful in different ways.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn fixed none of the original games flaws and added a poo poo ton of new ones.

The game has no respect for the player's time nor intelligence. It starts with ten minutes of unskippable narration, half the runtime is spent finding a feather to fix a flying machine you never use, the most aggravating character causes the apocalypse and faces no punishment, introduced new party members until the last hour of the story, and most of the collectables were missable.

In hindsight the original games aged terribly, and this half-hearted followup killed the series dead.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

Suikoden Tierkreis is the next closest that I've played that's done that, but at least that one was a different universe when Lunar DS is somehow the same one as the actual good two games and ok third game.

EDIT:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn fixed none of the original games flaws and added a poo poo ton of new ones.
This one's my third place because it still felt like the previous two games. But was also the most boring game I couldn't put down.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verviticus posted:

i feel like its sorta incredible that the PSP one came out, another seems unlikely

why would it be less likely for them to rerelease final fantasy tactics than tactics ogre. it's not like tactics ogre is a ton more popular

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

the blue reflection gacha that has a male protagonist who all the girls love

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

the blue reflection gacha that has a male protagonist who all the girls love

oh yeah that's a real 'winner'

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Metroid: Other M assassinated the character its own protagonist and put the franchise on ice for years.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force was an ill-conceived and poorly timed spinoff that nobody asked for, coming six years after the above.

I don't know if I'm angry that the Metroid franchise went through a long slump, or that it's only now that Henry Kissinger died.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 30, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I prefer to imagine that Henry Kissinger died like a SNES-era FF boss. Just started flashing white and dissolving into pixels while screaming about how the power of friendship and love couldn't possibly be this strong.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A new threat, both versions, are so fuckin good. Very excited to see their ff8 mod when it drops
I'm so sad they dropped the Guard Scorpion joke in the newer versions, that was one of the funniest bits in the whole thing.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Just like the devs forced in Cait Sith.....

Ketshee.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
ケット・シー

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I prefer to imagine that Henry Kissinger died like a SNES-era FF boss. Just started flashing white and dissolving into pixels while screaming about how the power of friendship and love couldn't possibly be this strong.

lol what a way to find out

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

gotta go to hell to fight dark kissinger and then heaven to fight light kissinger now

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Nah, it's Kissinger, so no matter what both versions are in Hell.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Try not to activate the private action where Kissinger gets his Nobel Prize on your first playthrough, because it doubles the level of his boss fight.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

HGH posted:

I'm so sad they dropped the Guard Scorpion joke in the newer versions, that was one of the funniest bits in the whole thing.

Luckily you can play 1.5 still and it has all that new content but with the modified encounter math/etc.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think it's really cool that Kissinger is dead, and in hell.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

TurnipFritter posted:

I think it's really cool that Kissinger is dead, and in hell.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
somehow kissinger returned

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If Freiza can come back, then sadly so can Kissinger.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Gaius Marius posted:

Ocarina of Time

I know this is probably just trolling, but I'll bite: why Ocarina of Time?

I'm trying to fathom what makes a game "disrespectful" in any case. Surely it's not just being a poor entry in the series, right? Does it actually have to insult the previous games somehow?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This is kind of vague, but I would interpret it as "completely misunderstanding what people liked about the previous games." And therefore making a game that may or may not be good but is certainly different enough to piss off existing fans. This is easily accomplished by radically changing the genre or writing existing characters too differently.

In terms of Zelda I can see the logic that the switch to 3D completely changed the game in a way incompatible with the earlier 2D games.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tequila Bob posted:

I know this is probably just trolling, but I'll bite: why Ocarina of Time?

I'm trying to fathom what makes a game "disrespectful" in any case. Surely it's not just being a poor entry in the series, right? Does it actually have to insult the previous games somehow?

I dislike 3d zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Got some easy examples of installments that alienated drat near everybody.

Bomberman Act Zero (Local Multiplayer and checkpoints are for dorks.)

DmC: Devil May Cry (Because the director said the old Dante was a homo.)

New Tales from the Borderlands (Not a sequel to Tales from the Borderlands.)

Tokyo Mirage Sessions (A crossover between Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei that's actually about neither of them.)