Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

forkboy84 posted:

Why does AEW feel the need to continue booking the absurdly cooked Hardy Brothers? Especially when they have more signed wrestlers than TV time, seems a giant waste of time

I also wish that wasn't the case, but these days they're jobbing pretty much every time they appear so eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Why does AEW feel the need to continue booking the absurdly cooked Hardy Brothers? Especially when they have more signed wrestlers than TV time, seems a giant waste of time

seems like whatever tony's favorites were when he was a kid are the favorites he has now so he likes to get them screen time

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mercedes would be wasted in AEW.

WWE is the better option for sure, but that all depends on if they can mend fences with her. With Vince looking like he's really out of the picture it's more likely they can and that would be the best place for her to make money. But I also wouldn't blame her for not wanting to go back because they treated her like poo poo and she was 100% right to walk out.

Though as we've seen, some people are willing to put being treated terribly behind them if it can make them money.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
they're a nostalgia act so they probably have pretty good metrics

Warthur
May 2, 2004

MJeff posted:

She walked out of that company because it's poo poo and they don't deserve her.

Right, but the women's division at AEW has done nothing to suggest it does deserve her. Every ex-WWE signing they have picked up has ended up diminished sharply over time. Saraya disappeared... Toni is doing comedy sports entertainment and fetching fruit out of her rear end... Ruby Soho somehow ended up vanishing...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Warthur posted:

Right, but the women's division at AEW has done nothing to suggest it does deserve her. Every ex-WWE signing they have picked up has ended up diminished sharply over time. Saraya disappeared... Toni is doing comedy sports entertainment and fetching fruit out of her rear end... Ruby Soho somehow ended up vanishing...

I have zero investment in the idea of Mercedes Mone signing with AEW. I would be just as happy watching her spend the rest of her career wrestling for Bushiroad, because she's really loving good there and they pay her a lot of money and treat her like a big star. If she signed with AEW, that would also probably be fine, because the amount of money she'd cost would force them to treat her like a star. If she did some stuff with Impact, I'd be pretty into that. That'd be cool, she could do stuff with Trinity and there's some fun matches on that roster and she'd no question be the biggest star in the company. WWE is worse than all of them. In general at making any kind of wrestling, muchless specifically women's wrestling matter and specifically, to her, constantly, over the course of her entire career there.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Taking less money to be "one of the good guys" is so overrated.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WWE did not get Rhea Ripley over, she did that all on her own.

forkboy84 posted:

Big nostalgia act company

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, if that episode hadn't had the stupid hacker bullshit.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

Or Toni Storm, but otherwise great

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MJeff posted:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Mercedes would be wasted in AEW.

as an aew fan I really wish I could debate you on this but the blatant disrespect for women's wrestling regularly forces me to say 'it is what it is'

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/UnsafeChairshot/status/1729910462404555026

The likes on this are awesome.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

drat, both Jack Perry and @fuckjackperry

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

drat, both Jack Perry and @fuckjackperry

And Sammy Guevara and Dr. Britt.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Well yeah but who cares about that

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

but those guys all stink. false flag

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Putting the belt on Toni Storm the week her gimmick ran out of material whoops

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

RJ seems like a really nice guy. and like all really nice guys, he has chart-bending improv guy energies that make him bit cancer

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i like rj a lot even if i hate his guts

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

AEW IT Security

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

AEW IT Security

Finally a wrestling show for me.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Gumball Gumption posted:

AEW IT Security

So glad I never heard back about their Director of IT job after I applied last spring.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

"You never got a title shot in the big leagues like you deserve sir so here face me instead"

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

What if toni storm pivots to a tag team as bride of frankenstein with abadon

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

RBX posted:

"You never got a title shot in the big leagues like you deserve sir so here face me instead"

The most I can compliment MJF is that he was less annoying than usual even if he still said poo poo like this

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I like having a place to talk about AEW being garbage.

But that was the best episode of wrestling I've ever seen.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

WWE did not get Rhea Ripley over, she did that all on her own.
Right, but WWE could have failed to roll with that or, worse, tried to Zach Ryder her, but instead they have yes-anded that in a way which has acted as a force multiplier. Would she be over with me if they hadn't? Yes, I was a Rhea mark since she showed up in NXT UK. Would be as big a deal as she is now without the company getting behind her? No way.

It doesn't feel like AEW has got behind any of the women on its card in the same way since Britt Baker, and it feels like their support for her has cooled off or otherwise ceased to be effective. I just don't trust that Tony is capable of doing that for any women at the company - god knows he's shaky enough about it with divisions he considers a priority. Maybe it would be different for Mercedes? But I don't think it would be the case for anyone else, leaving Mercedes as the sole superstar in a division where there's no big money feud for her with a heel on her level - just a conveyor belt of talent that's clearly not as over to her to be fed to her. Not sure that would be satisfying for us as viewers or for her as a performer. Bushiroad seems a better bet by far.

quote:

Big nostalgia act company
The Ric Flair hiring is the damning evidence here. His presence does nothing for anyone - it's not like anyone can feud with him and it's not like Sting needs him in his corner to elevate him. He is solely at AEW to get nostalgia pops. And there's a side order of hypocrisy because it's not like anything major has changed about the Plane Ride From Hell thing and he hasn't done a better job of demonstrating contrition than he did when the Dark Side of the Ring episode aired. It makes it blatantly obvious that the decision not to bring him in then and there wasn't a principled stance, it was just kicking the can down the road in the hope audiences would forget about it.

WWE does stuff like that all the time, of course - remember when they tried to rehabilitate Hogan? - but when you build your company on the premise of "We're not like WWE" and regularly make insinuations about WWE's shadier practices it rings hollow when you go to a well even WWE gave up on a while back.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Didn't Rhea not actually defend the title for, like, 100 days or am I just misremembering how they mostly used her as connected to Dominic for ages??

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Didn't Rhea not actually defend the title for, like, 100 days or am I just misremembering how they mostly used her as connected to Dominic for ages??

Believe there was a period where she was injured but my recollection is that was before 'mania.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Here are her defenses if someone wants to do the math. I think 9/11 to last week might be close to a hundred days?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Smackdown had zero women’s matches two weeks ago and the audience sat on their hands for a Nia Jax match on raw don’t listen to fed fans they are known liars

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Smackdown had zero women’s matches two weeks ago and the audience sat on their hands for a Nia Jax match on raw don’t listen to fed fans they are known liars

you watched raw to see your favorite fed star cm punk. youre in the pit with them

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
this ain't WWE Heaven

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

projecthalaxy posted:

you watched raw to see your favorite fed star cm punk. youre in the pit with them

so what!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Here are her defenses if someone wants to do the math. I think 9/11 to last week might be close to a hundred days?

It's 54 days between 9/11 and the fatal 5-way, 75 days between 9/11 and last week if you aren't counting the five-way (but you should because it was still a title defence, even if it was on a blood money show).

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

good point

E: also, look who has reappeared to fix aew possibly

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 30, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

good point

E: also, look who has reappeared to fix aew possibly

Y'know, maybe 2023 AEW hasn't been all bad.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

MJeff posted:

Y'know, maybe 2023 AEW hasn't been all bad.

Britt's schtick was getting old and she arguably benefits from being dialled back a bit (on the old "how can I miss you if you never go away?" principle), but dialling back Britt and replacing her with managed decline and extremely Sports Entertainment content isn't helping the division.

Also if Britt's tweet is part of an angle cleared with Tony it's a boneheaded angle to run at this time and if it isn't then hoo golly I guess she's trying to get fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

There was a statement a few months ago that Britt was going to leave her dental practice to concentrate on wrestling. Either she's been devoted to closing up shop or ???