Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blind Well was supposed to be harder? I didn't notice a change at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

You used to be able to unpowered melee your way through if you wanted, now that'll actually get you killed if you keep at it.

I think Blind Well was tied to patrol zone power level before, and now it feels like a 0 delta, like a regular rear end strike? It feels like the tiniest bit more powerful. So that's my conclusion, going from like 50 power under to even like a strike.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The vast majority of people are not attracted to increased difficulty you loving dumb shits!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If I were them and had super limited resources I'd just have patrols in Dreaming City have a ton of "the enemy is moving" events and have the mossy Vex dudes show up (they're invading after all), then have them invade Blind Well also. Reuse a Hydra for the sixtieth time and have it show up when the bosses do. Sometimes it's Not Atheon or that hosed up harpy boss type with all the eyes

There, it's different now. Neat.

Like it's cool it has new loot but freshen it up a little. Just having things seemingly (I guess? I still just punched my way through) do more damage isn't really it. I'd love an excuse to explore Dreaming City more again, and I just turbogrinded it for the last cheevo

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Blind well is such a slog. "Remember this poo poo? Do it again! But with bigger bullet sponges that deal more damage!" I've completed two and got 0% progress. Working as intended.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't mind Blind Well but it needs a refresh and lol that you have to do THREE if you join into a Tier 2 in progress.
I wasn't really paying attention at the time, but when you get told to go there as part of the quest, you get given 2 charges of light, and I think it was a tier 1 & a tier 2. So probably, players who've never done well are just running* to the Blind Well and using the T2 charge they just got.

* If you run / sparrow up the hallway too fast it doesn't give the matchmaking time to kick in, which would place them alone in the instance with enough time to use a T2, which everyone else would then be matchmade into.

FlapYoJacks posted:

The vast majority of people are not attracted to increased difficulty you loving dumb shits!
I don't know if that's true (in terms of casuals forming the majority), but whenever they tweak the difficulty like this they tweak all difficulties, and then either the casuals complain it's too hard, or the sweatlords complain it's too easy.

I would have thought this would be the ideal argument for having different difficulties. I mean they do have legendary, but that doesn't launch until a few weeks into the season to give everyone time to hit the level ca- oh wait, the level cap hasn't moved for like 3 seasons now you dumbasses.

E: I seem to remember this happening when they were talking about increasing the enemy density and health for fireteams, and it made a bunch of lower level stuff into an annoyance because you would get overwhelmed fast.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 30, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I wasn't really paying attention at the time, but when you get told to go there as part of the quest, you get given 2 charges of light, and I think it was a tier 1 & a tier 2. So probably, players who've never done well are just running* to the Blind Well and using the T2 charge they just got.

No, we did Tier 3 Heroics too. It's just not really any different.

Also lol they didn't playtest Coil at all, none of the hazards work reliably or their preventatives, like pervading darkness and the light wells. It's a one in five chance or so for the well to do something

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Love having a full blown PR emergency a day into the season.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The enemies now have that red icon showing they're a higher power level than you are, but they got wiped out so quickly by everyone else in the instance I couldn't really tell the difference. Even with a level disadvantage, players are so much more powerful than they were in the Forsaken era that they really should have increased the spawn rate.

I think it was Season of the Chosen's Battlegrounds where everyone started praising the increased difficulty, because it had a much higher enemy density. More things to shoot is a fun sort of difficulty. Individual red bar enemies being able to tank half a magazine of primary ammo isn't. I think Bungie may have learned the entirely wrong lessons from that feedback.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

ponzicar posted:

I think it was Season of the Chosen's Battlegrounds where everyone started praising the increased difficulty, because it had a much higher enemy density. More things to shoot is a fun sort of difficulty. Individual red bar enemies being able to tank half a magazine of primary ammo isn't. I think Bungie may have learned the entirely wrong lessons from that feedback.

The problem is they gave us such great add clear capabilities between jolt/ignite/volatile/forbearance/sunshot/etc that there's no amount of weak red bars that can be difficult.

Imo they need to work on encounter design where you can't sit in the back plinking with wishender but you also don't get instantly shredded because the arena is a cover less bowl with a million Randals

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

No, we did Tier 3 Heroics too. It's just not really any different.

Also lol they didn't playtest Coil at all, none of the hazards work reliably or their preventatives, like pervading darkness and the light wells. It's a one in five chance or so for the well to do something

You have to stand in the well for a few seconds for it to take effect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coil seems very tedious so far

If you die once you're hosed too because there's no spawn protection and the broken trap elements still apply when you get back in. Hope you didn't die in the dark!

e: Lol I got 55k points in 70 minutes, that wasn't enough for a bronze huh

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 30, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Love having a full blown PR emergency a day into the season.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

It’s incredible they got streamerbrain so bad that they think this is a selling point when it’s probably the biggest thing making the game feel like poo poo. They couldn’t even leave one easy GM in the rotation, they had to redo the two easiest ones to make them more tedious because they hated people getting a chance to fully build craft without hammering their own genitals. I could honestly forgive everything else about Lightfall if it wasn’t for this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol sometimes if you die to the spikes in Coil it accidentally pops up the method they call to do it, presumably someone left a debug option on

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol sometimes if you die to the spikes in Coil it accidentally pops up the method they call to do it, presumably someone left a debug option on

layoffs ftw

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

The seasonal mission thing kept telling me in yellow text I'd picked up a revive token, or a respawn token, something like that? Made me worry I had limited revives. Which made me worry even more because the hitboxes on some of the traps are 'generous.'

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bobby Deluxe posted:

a season with no anti champ special

There's a new weapon archetype coming Friday that will give us a legendary, special ammo anti-barrier sidearm!

... if you have the dungeon key

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What do you have to do to either hit 100k or get it to register you even finished at all, goddamn

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

What do you have to do to either hit 100k or get it to register you even finished at all, goddamn

The former seems to require finding a lot of pots, the latter happens when you clear round 4 and return to Riven

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How can I possibly be missing that many ugh

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

How can I possibly be missing that many ugh

As usual, esoterickk has you covered.

https://youtu.be/3-Oqm2JHQNw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lol at that description though

"This activity is so easy it's kinda boring for me, one of the absolute best destiny players around. If it just kept getting harder, to the point that maybe three people in the world could finish it at all, it would be much better"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I mean, his name is Esoterickk so the description tracks. :v:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

Lol at that description though

"This activity is so easy it's kinda boring for me, one of the absolute best destiny players around. If it just kept getting harder, to the point that maybe three people in the world could finish it at all, it would be much better"

That's kind of the rub though

If it's too easy then it's boring to just go in a shoot everything with no sense of danger or thinking about builds or positions or even aiming

But I also get that bullet sponge red bars and other extremes can make it too stressful and tedious to "sit in the back plinking away with a scout"

In summary, Destiny 2 is a land of contrasts and finding that balance is hard to please everyone

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I dunno, I don't really like the idea of an activity where I could dump 30-50 minutes in and not make progress towards what I was hoping to make progress towards.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I dunno, I don't really like the idea of an activity where I could dump 30-50 minutes in and not make progress towards what I was hoping to make progress towards.

I think that's what Riven's Lair or whatever it's call is supposed to be: one run of one section of Coil that's quicker and 'easier' to knock out, but the loot is okay compared to the big risk/reward of trying Coil to get to the big room with 6 chests worth of loot

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 30, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Coil drops intermediate rewards but it still ain’t great that the vast majority of your runs will end with a fade to black and then orbit

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
As much as I love a good 'Both Sides! Truth is in the middle!' it seems to me that bungie is currently moving the game in a direction that pleases nobody

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
A friend at bungie has told me that D McA, the current General Manager, has "chosen" to take a sabbatical and is expected to "voluntarily" transition out of bungie in the next several months.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FlapYoJacks posted:

As usual, esoterickk has you covered.

https://youtu.be/3-Oqm2JHQNw

Oh I see it just chains off each other so if you miss early you're hosed

Also lol the final boss is rough

e: Well, got 120k and Gold and won. Good Enough

We missed one jar so we missed three chests but the collector caught us up. The scoring system sucks lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 30, 2023

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Few things that make the stomach hurt more than looking up boss vids for a different game and seeing Eso going wild on those too. Animal.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
ESO thinks TAS runs are amateur hour.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

30.5 Days posted:

A friend at bungie has told me that D McA, the current General Manager, has "chosen" to take a sabbatical and is expected to "voluntarily" transition out of bungie in the next several months.

bullshit

Nobody at bungie has any friends

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Failson posted:

Didn't we sorta do a bunch of Blind Well in the runup to Witch Queen?

I honestly can't remember.

The thing that really pisses me off is the change to crucible game choices. When I'm tired and don't want to commit to long activities, because I have to check the stove every 15 min or whatever, I could always pop into crucible. Logged in today and it was all dogshit. Just leave vanilla Control up there. If the metrics show no one plays the other game types, the problem isn't that everyone's playing control, it's that the other game types are awful...

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

It weirdly feels like the times of the scarab lord guy who tortured us for way too long.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh I see it just chains off each other so if you miss early you're hosed

Also lol the final boss is rough

e: Well, got 120k and Gold and won. Good Enough

We missed one jar so we missed three chests but the collector caught us up. The scoring system sucks lol

Final boss was pretty chill I felt, Wyvern was worse for damage taken/deaths.

Right now this seems to deliver on what i felt we were offered with Deep Dives being some decision making as we go not left node or right node for 10% or 10%.

Will see how much actual rotation and changes are possible over next couple of weeks - if it's just the same 4 bosses in a different order, or only one changing each week then uh... Might lower my feelings a bit but from a single run? Greatly enjoyed it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm not even the slightest bit interested in running Coil if Grounded is a modifier. gently caress. Grounded.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Listerine posted:

I honestly can't remember.

The thing that really pisses me off is the change to crucible game choices. When I'm tired and don't want to commit to long activities, because I have to check the stove every 15 min or whatever, I could always pop into crucible. Logged in today and it was all dogshit. Just leave vanilla Control up there. If the metrics show no one plays the other game types, the problem isn't that everyone's playing control, it's that the other game types are awful...

Classic exec missing the message. If everyone is doing a thing it’s because the thing is good. Basic three point whatever you want to call it has been a thing for what, a quarter of a century at this point? It still hits every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Sekenr posted:

It weirdly feels like the times of the scarab lord guy who tortured us for way too long.

And here I thought I was the only one who remembered playing Curse of Osiris back when it launched.