Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
incredibly funny though how he just has a bit where he astrally projects himself into a room to go "you dont think i'm hot poo poo? get a look at this kids... here's a video from my youth... i was really badass back then..." and plays a random disconnected cutscene of him riding into battle with the boys. not like killing anyone or doing anything hosed up really just riding his horse and looking cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't believe the start of Evil Dead 2 retconned what happened in the first movie

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

incredibly funny though how he just has a bit where he astrally projects himself into a room to go "you dont think i'm hot poo poo? get a look at this kids... here's a video from my youth... i was really badass back then..." and plays a random disconnected cutscene of him riding into battle with the boys. not like killing anyone or doing anything hosed up really just riding his horse and looking cool

The entire Hyrule Castle section was real bizarre.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Electric Phantasm posted:

The entire Hyrule Castle section was real bizarre.

i dont know why they put an entire "we saw zelda...?! we gotta find and rescue her!" segment in a game where by design you can figure out that zelda is not zelda like ten hours earlier. could just rewrite it so link tells them and they're like "oh that's not zelda? maybe we should still follow after to see if we can find a clue about ganondorf's whereabouts" or something

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 30, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway majora's mask is still sick. i hope the fan pc port lets you toggle on the random oddities from the jp version like the road in romani ranch having remnants of the original plan for fighting the ghosts being deku link cause you're able to burrow into the ground there like a deku flower, or the one big spinny thing puzzle in great bay they simplified hard in the us release because in the jp one you had to really carefully time when you stop the big spinny thing

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i dont know why they put an entire "we saw zelda...?! we gotta find and rescue her!" segment in a game where by design you can figure out that zelda is not zelda like ten hours earlier. could just rewrite it so link tells them and they're like "oh that's not zelda? maybe we should still follow after to see if we can find a clue about ganondorf's whereabouts" or something

It’s so weird, like it would’ve been legit cool if the story was dynamic enough that getting enough Tears changes the dialogue to “what’s up with that creepy Zelda doppelgänger?”, just have less voice acting so having to rehash chunks of the story to accommodate being able to do every region just isn’t a thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Last Celebration posted:

It’s so weird, like it would’ve been legit cool if the story was dynamic enough that getting enough Tears changes the dialogue to “what’s up with that creepy Zelda doppelgänger?”, just have less voice acting so having to rehash chunks of the story to accommodate being able to do every region just isn’t a thing.

love how you can see every tear and get the master sword, seeing the whole story of what happened to zelda and why the master sword is repaired. and then 20 minutes before the ending you still get a scene of someone going "hello link... i see you have the master sword and have learned the story of zelda, the past and the master sword... now allow me to recount to you the story of zelda, the past and the master sword..."

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Am I missing anything by skipping Tears of the Kingdom? Everyone was gushing about it when it came out, so it's probably pretty good, sure. But I don't really enjoy crafting systems much, and the game basically seems like BotW + crafting. And as much as I enjoyed exploring Hyrule in BotW, learning that they pretty much brought it back again was a bit of a turnoff.

If the sky stuff and the underground are also fun to explore, though, I might need to try it out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's my GOTY and I did not like BotW

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the sky sucks. it's 90% the same poo poo repeated ad nauseum and all of the magic is gone after like the fourth one, only the opening sky island area is a proper location with unique landmarks and design, there's a couple other islands that kiiiinda have a unique design to them but the general progression of all of them are basically the same and most use the exact same assets and design templates. some people like the underground. i don't. if the idea of botw with (extremely limited in real function or usefulness) vehicle building and, somewhat better shrines, sounds fun to you then sure i guess. wouldn't recommend spending 70 bucks on it though

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 30, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

Am I missing anything by skipping Tears of the Kingdom? Everyone was gushing about it when it came out, so it's probably pretty good, sure. But I don't really enjoy crafting systems much, and the game basically seems like BotW + crafting. And as much as I enjoyed exploring Hyrule in BotW, learning that they pretty much brought it back again was a bit of a turnoff.

If the sky stuff and the underground are also fun to explore, though, I might need to try it out.

To be honest I think it's a straight improvement to BotW to the point I can't imagine going back to BotW. Yeah it's the same world but the additions and changes make it fundamentally a more enjoyable place to explore but also the new abilities and crafting just make exploring so much more fun and rewarding. I was okay on BotW but it wasn't my favorite Zelda game despite all the praise but TotK was just so much better on almost every level in terms of actual gameplay.

It also has one of basically the only good crafting systems I've encountered where it's just genuinely fun to build stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 30, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the repeat of the hyrule world map seems extremely hit or miss for some people so i can't say whether it'll work for you or not. my brother who loved botw hated it but most people seem fine with it. i didnt remember much of botw's map so it didn't bother me that much but i did feel the same grind at how moment to moment progression worked in basically the exact same ways so i stopped finding it very exciting to navigate after a point

the crafting also did not work for me the way it has for other people mostly because for all the fun gimmicks you can play with, none of them are actually viable for normal gameplay after you hit a certain point of enemy scaling. vehicles are pathetic for dealing damage and most of the funnier things you could think of to play with the crafting mechanics don't offer enough of a damage boost to overcome how gargantuan health bars will get. that's one annoying thing but i also found the basic combat to not be any more engaging than botw's even if you do just fuse the high damage stuff like they want you to

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tequila Bob posted:

You don't even have to craft that much if you don't want to since there's a skill that lets you make completed stuff and you can find blueprints for that skill.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the repeat of the hyrule world map seems extremely hit or miss for some people so i can't say whether it'll work for you or not. my brother who loved botw hated it but most people seem fine with it. i didnt remember much of botw's map so it didn't bother me that much but i did feel the same grind at how moment to moment progression worked in basically the exact same ways so i stopped finding it very exciting to navigate after a point

the crafting also did not work for me the way it has for other people mostly because for all the fun gimmicks you can play with, none of them are actually viable for normal gameplay after you hit a certain point of enemy scaling. vehicles are pathetic for dealing damage and most of the funnier things you could think of to play with the crafting mechanics don't offer enough of a damage boost to overcome how gargantuan health bars will get. that's one annoying thing but i also found the basic combat to not be any more engaging than botw's even if you do just fuse the high damage stuff like they want you to

Crafting is absolutely one of the best ways of dealing damage though. You're not really going to be able to make something that is great at both mobility and combat but you genuinely don't need to. Crafting bespoke gattling laser turrets or whatever is probably to a significant degree the easiest way to take down the hydras and such.

The biggest issue crafting has is that there are a couple of extremely simple solutions you can use to solve every problem but a lot of people don't seem to discover them on their own without looking it up online so it's a big 'if' if that happens to you.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

TotK is only really worth your time if you collect all the Korok seeds.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ImpAtom posted:

Crafting is absolutely one of the best ways of dealing damage though. You're not really going to be able to make something that is great at both mobility and combat but you genuinely don't need to. Crafting bespoke gattling laser turrets or whatever is probably to a significant degree the easiest way to take down the hydras and such.

The biggest issue crafting has is that there are a couple of extremely simple solutions you can use to solve every problem but a lot of people don't seem to discover them on their own without looking it up online so it's a big 'if' if that happens to you.

maybe i would've felt more compelled to experiment with vehicle building for combat if my attempt to use a drone army to fight lynels didn't end with lynels using an attack that destroys your zonai constructs

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

TurnipFritter posted:

TotK is only really worth your time if you collect all the Korok seeds.

lol

For what it’s worth I thought BotW was brilliant and TotK did nothing for me. Just a completely empty game. Its only new ideas are bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't like BotW and never played Tears hth

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i do think it's weird that the game places so many heavy limitations on specific parts of the vehicle building, like gliders being effectively worthless for any long term travel, but gluing two fans together with a steering stick gives you every bit of mobility you will ever need for the entire game. obviously there was no easy way to balance these systems but it does feel weird having time limitations on certain parts that make them ultimately worthless while also giving you a half dozen other ways to break the game in the ways they were trying to balance out by nerfing those parts. totk's design ends up in a weird spot where you either know what to do and how to do it very efficiently or everything feels really slow and laborious and most of my experience with the game fell onto the latter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

maybe i would've felt more compelled to experiment with vehicle building for combat if my attempt to use a drone army to fight lynels didn't end with lynels using an attack that destroys your zonai constructs

Honestly you can wreck a Lynel's day with a puffshroom fused to an arrow.

The Colonel posted:

i do think it's weird that the game places so many heavy limitations on specific parts of the vehicle building, like gliders being effectively worthless for any long term travel, but gluing two fans together with a steering stick gives you every bit of mobility you will ever need for the entire game. obviously there was no easy way to balance these systems but it does feel weird having time limitations on certain parts that make them ultimately worthless while also giving you a half dozen other ways to break the game in the ways they were trying to balance out by nerfing those parts

They added a limitation to anything explicitly for air travel but the fans technically are not that and can be used for a lot of ground stuff. I'm surprised they didn't patch it out but I guess by this point it would piss people off so I guess they decided to shrug.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 30, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh i didnt have any actual trouble with the lynels in that arena specifically that was just the moment where i resigned myself to never bothering trying to experiment with vehicle building for combat scenarios again because it was extremely rare that doing that would actually help me after all the time it took. arrow fusions just kind of break most combat encounters in half in ways nothing else will and doing them takes less than a second

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

No Dignity posted:

ALttP was one of the first games I played and was a very formative experience so I can't look on it impartially, like that is still like the model of what a fantasy adventure game should be. The scale of the world, the densely layered secrets, the evocative visuals, in alot of ways I don't think it's ever been beat. The only other game that ever gave me a similar 'what if there's a secret cave inside that secret cave?' feel was Hyper Light Drifter, but it's something it feels like the Zelda franchise didn't even reach for again until Tears of the Kingdom

i love remembering that donkey kong country 1 hides a bonus room inside another bonus room and you can only access it by going for the worst possible prize in the first one and reacting to that prize turning into a barrel fast enough for you to break through the wall to the second one before the bonus failed animation starts

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tequila Bob posted:

I think this thread is the only place I've seen with multiple people with a lower opinion of it than "it's just not for me"/"I've got some nitpicks"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ultimately every conversation i have about totk ends in a brick wall of people i'm talking with either agreeing or telling me they had the exact opposite experience so i should probably just stop before it starts to actually drive me insane

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bongo Bill posted:

I think this thread is the only place I've seen with multiple people with a lower opinion of it than "it's just not for me"/"I've got some nitpicks"

A lot of the people who really REALLY like BOTW don't like TOTW but I think that's because BOTW was their first Zelda game and they haven't braced themselves for the Zelda-isms like "recurring characters not getting a lot of characterization" or "countries completely changing between games for no reason"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've only finished one dungeon in totk but the dialogue in the subsequent flashback cutscene was really banal and rendered the legends these games always have that are so full of mystique and wonder devoid of, any of that

also the map being mostly the same but filled with more busywork is kinda lame

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My hot TOTK opinion is that it's like 800 hours long and that's just too much game. Make smaller games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mycot posted:

A lot of the people who really REALLY like BOTW don't like TOTW but I think that's because BOTW was their first Zelda game and they haven't braced themselves for the Zelda-isms like "recurring characters not getting a lot of characterization" or "countries completely changing between games for no reason"

i mean i think both games are worse about several things than earlier entries and also think the series was progressively getting worse at it before they came out and consider it a negative that the state of things has not improved

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

I've only finished one dungeon in totk but the dialogue in the subsequent flashback cutscene was really banal and rendered the legends these games always have that are so full of mystique and wonder devoid of, any of that

also the map being mostly the same but filled with more busywork is kinda lame

I might not care as much because the only Zelda games I found full of mystic and wonder were LTTP, Wind Waker and all the games where Ganon isn't the final boss, because otherwise the answer is "Ganon did it." Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are infinitely cooler.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think twilight princess had some cool ideas going for it but the idea of people getting mad they made a game that wasn't exactly like people's vague memories of ocarina of time struck the fear of god into that dev team and made them just stop doing anything with it halfway through

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The Colonel posted:

i mean i think both games are worse about several things than earlier entries and also think the series was progressively getting worse at it before they came out and consider it a negative that the state of things has not improved

Oh that post was mostly about really young people on social media, not Something Awful

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
TOTK makes some weird choices but I think its still a good and fun game. And it fixes several of my bigger issues from BOTW with weapon fusion so it isn't always a complete waste of resources to fight higher tier enemies.

I also had a lot of fun with the vehicle building and challenging myself to come up with new and weird designs was fun. It is very easy to get stuck on just making optimal poo poo or never figuring out optimal poo poo and getting frustrated, but the vehicle physics simulation is pretty goddam absurd and you can do a lot of cool/fun stuff with it once you move past just going for what's strictly the most optimal and I really liked that. I know its not what people normally get Zelda games for, but it was a nice little surprise and treat for me since I do enjoy that stuff.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I might not care as much because the only Zelda games I found full of mystic and wonder were LTTP, Wind Waker and all the games where Ganon isn't the final boss, because otherwise the answer is "Ganon did it." Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are infinitely cooler.

sure but i think the presentation of those histories is a lot more stylish in ocarina, ww, tp, even minish cap

totk was just "hey man i was there and here's what happened"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Skyward Sword, BotW and TotK all relying on firsthand flashbacks back to the past to tell the mythic story is kind of a weird choice yeah. Especially since Skyward Sword and TotK literally throw Zelda into the past for you to get that and BotW just time travel's Link to the future without memories.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is there a lot of story continuity to the Ys games or can I just jump in on the series wherever? I played one of the PSP ones back in the day but it didn't really have a whole lot of story that I can recall. I was thinking of picking up Ys 8, I wasn't really planning on playing any of the previous games but I was mostly curious if there's anything from previous games that I need to know about.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
everyone in tears of the kingdom talks and acts like they're possessed by the plot ghosts from ff7r and have to act purely in the exact way that will move along the specific narrative they want to tell with no possible variation from it, even if that variation is things like, characters having coherent arcs where they overcome personal problems and get stronger. it's no wonder nobody suspected what was up with zelda when all of the citizens of hyrule act like weird dolls on strings too

MockingQuantum posted:

Is there a lot of story continuity to the Ys games or can I just jump in on the series wherever? I played one of the PSP ones back in the day but it didn't really have a whole lot of story that I can recall. I was thinking of picking up Ys 8, I wasn't really planning on playing any of the previous games but I was mostly curious if there's anything from previous games that I need to know about.

there's mostly just references and occasional appearances of characters from past games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

You can generally just hop into any of them. All you need to know is Adol loving Loves Adventure but has a deathly allergy to boats and keeping his memories for more than a fortnite. Also Dogi is his bro

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Meowywitch posted:

is there any game as disrespectful to its own series as lunar dragon song was???

I am genuinely very curious

Breath of Fire 6.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ys is a series about a guy who rescued the goddesses and prevented satan from enacting the apocalypse. after some other people centuries ago also rescued the goddesses and prevented satan from enacting the apocalypse. and now adol travels the world and keeps finding new satans to kill before they can enact their own apocalypses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NikkolasKing posted:

Chrono Cross was just Masato Kato going, in the wake of working on part of Xenogears. "wow, this was neat, lemme do it myself." And so we got a Chrono/Xeno crossover fic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlTEGf6bnwc

It's funny because I adore CC's gameplay and think its story i san absolute mess. Meanwhile, I can't stand XG's gameplay and absolutely adore its story. If only I could somehow combine the two, it'd be the perfect video game to me.

EDIT:

Although something on my mind ever since I watched a Parasite Eve LP is how front and center environmentalist messages were in Square JRPGs of this time. FFVII is doubtless the most famous but it's there in PE and CC, too, this question about if humans are part of nature or somehow in opposition to it and its greatest enemy. And then there's Xenogears which, despite other commonalities, is pretty pro-human. It certainly never asks "do humans even deserve to live?" like FFVII and CC do.

The thing I find really interesting about Parasite Eve is that it takes a very hard stance on the original book (and Japanese society in general) being wrong about organ donation. It's a really bold move for Square to make a game that goes "our culture is wrong about this taboo, organ donation isn't an awful process, it can save people." As opposed to the original book, where it is a terrible thing and anyone involved in the process deserves to be punished.