Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The original Parasite Eve book kind of loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it is very funny when you see people who are fans of the game go back to read the book or watch the movie and come out saying it's one of the worst sci-fi horror stories they've ever experienced

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It has a good.... name.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Edge of Eternity is also real not good, just hoo boy not good.

Can you elaborate on this? A friend of mine picked up that humble bundle and gave me the Edge of Eternity key because they already had it, so I want to know what I'd be getting into.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

The thing I find really interesting about Parasite Eve is that it takes a very hard stance on the original book (and Japanese society in general) being wrong about organ donation. It's a really bold move for Square to make a game that goes "our culture is wrong about this taboo, organ donation isn't an awful process, it can save people." As opposed to the original book, where it is a terrible thing and anyone involved in the process deserves to be punished.

Wow, I never knew that was a thing in the original book. Don't know anything about the book at all, now I think on it. Certainly didn't know Japan had a problem with organ donation, either.

Thanks for the information, it was very interesting.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it is very funny when you see people who are fans of the game go back to read the book or watch the movie and come out saying it's one of the worst sci-fi horror stories they've ever experienced

I've heard the book which inspired MegaTen is also not very good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

has a deathly allergy to boats

Not anymore!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You can generally just hop into any of them. All you need to know is Adol loving Loves Adventure but has a deathly allergy to boats and keeping his memories for more than a fortnite. Also Dogi is his bro
Isn't it more that boats are were allergic to him?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The original MegaTen novel was just a trash horror story. It's basically as lovely as any forgettable 80s horror film except for the concept happening to work well for a monster trainer RPG.

Sakurazuka posted:

Not anymore!

I refuse to believe.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
dogi's always breaking through walls because adol leaves his epipen at home

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tequila Bob posted:

Am I missing anything by skipping Tears of the Kingdom? Everyone was gushing about it when it came out, so it's probably pretty good, sure. But I don't really enjoy crafting systems much, and the game basically seems like BotW + crafting. And as much as I enjoyed exploring Hyrule in BotW, learning that they pretty much brought it back again was a bit of a turnoff.

If the sky stuff and the underground are also fun to explore, though, I might need to try it out.
I liked BoTW and still liked ToTK despite meme'ing on the story. The difference is that exploration in BoTW was kind of methodical and slow paced whereas exploring in ToTK is much faster and is limited by your ability to assemble vehicles or constructs. I think the crafting/inventory in both games sucks but I liked the assembly stuff since it's kind of like LEGOs/MAGNA-TILES and there's no limit. If nothing else browsing the Totk engineer subreddit was a lot of fun around launch - people got very creative!

It was a good vibe game for me and easy enough to just end once you feel like you've had your fill. Like the korok seed poster, my favorite past time was finding all the Signposts and doing the assembly stuff to ensure the sign doesn't fall down. Those were very fun to me for some reason. Underground sucked to me personally, and it's hard to ignore the copy/pasta in the Sky once you can ID it but you'll probably see a lot of the Sky before you recognize the patterns.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Colonel posted:

i dont know why they put an entire "we saw zelda...?! we gotta find and rescue her!" segment in a game where by design you can figure out that zelda is not zelda like ten hours earlier. could just rewrite it so link tells them and they're like "oh that's not zelda? maybe we should still follow after to see if we can find a clue about ganondorf's whereabouts" or something

This really pissed off a friend of mine who decided to 100% the game for whatever reason. Turns out they were missing quests gated behind learning that Zelda was a fake which was something they had assumed was too obvious to be anything but minor set dressing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Random question - is Star Ocean 2nd R one of those JRPGs that has a billion hidden things that you can miss?

I started playing Trails in the Sky and got completely overwhelmed with all the missable side quests that are only available for a random short time window lol.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

All the timed events are listed on the fast-travel menu. Only two or three areas get locked off, so you need to collect the treasure there and then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

Random question - is Star Ocean 2nd R one of those JRPGs that has a billion hidden things that you can miss?

I started playing Trails in the Sky and got completely overwhelmed with all the missable side quests that are only available for a random short time window lol.

Yes, by design. Like you literally can not do everything in a single playthrough, some things (including characters) are mutually exclusive and there are two protagonists with their own unique scenes and recruitable characters even though they journey together.

You just kind of have to accept you can't do everything in one playthrough. SO2R marks a lot of events on the map so you'll be able to see a huge ton of stuff without needing a guide or anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Can you elaborate on this? A friend of mine picked up that humble bundle and gave me the Edge of Eternity key because they already had it, so I want to know what I'd be getting into.

So, the most positive things I can say about it are "the game is beatable" and "with enough stubbornness surmountable"

You have basically every pillar of games letting you down here. Without going through my copious posting in this thread in summary; it is full of weird bugs like suddenly being unable to select enemies in combat (happened to me in the final boss fight once, which was awesome), trap options galore in both crafting and character skills, undercooked combat system that for 90% of the fights serves to just make them take longer, incredibly uneven difficulty curve, a fresh-outta-an-asset-pack aesthetic and approach to world design, completely forgettable soundtrack, bizarre QoL gaps, a genuinely bordering on insulting story, and obviously stolen ideas from other games executed so poorly you want to return them to where they came from.

The thing that sticks out in my mind the most other than a couple of absolutely atrocious difficulty spikes is that the final boss of the game and that only the final boss of the game has a horrendous blur filter applied to it that makes you feel like you're going blind which is super fun for a fight that goes for 20+ minutes when, again, it doesn't bug out and prevent you from selecting it as a target.

Now, I want to be clear, the Devs have apparently patched the absolute living hell out of this game since I played it, with patching still happening this year, but as a counter to that benefit when I played they had already started patching it for a while. The revisions since I played though are major revisions, however, not just little tweaks. They jettisoned the entire start of the game and moved it to flashback bits woven throughout the first few chapters of the game, they've reworked the main questline so some of the backtracking filler has been flat out eliminated, they added bonus dungeons, new game +, and all sorts of other stuff. So you know, why don't you play it and let me know if they've turned it around to "passable" instead of "worst game I played in 2022"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 30, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, by design. Like you literally can not do everything in a single playthrough, some things (including characters) are mutually exclusive and there are two protagonists with their own unique scenes and recruitable characters even though they journey together.

You just kind of have to accept you can't do everything in one playthrough. SO2R marks a lot of events on the map so you'll be able to see a huge ton of stuff without needing a guide or anything.

Good to know. I definitely don't mind the game giving incentives for NG+, what I was worried about was things like Trails in the Sky and it's "collect each volume of this book series that the game calls zero attention to, and which are permanently missable, in order to get one of the endgame weapons".

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MockingQuantum posted:

Is there a lot of story continuity to the Ys games or can I just jump in on the series wherever? I played one of the PSP ones back in the day but it didn't really have a whole lot of story that I can recall. I was thinking of picking up Ys 8, I wasn't really planning on playing any of the previous games but I was mostly curious if there's anything from previous games that I need to know about.

You can play any of them. I recommend playing the turbo duo CD ones on an emulator or something. Book I and II are flabbergastingly good games for being made in loving 1989, and Dawn of Ys is one of the higher-quality overall games that has never gotten an official localization.

As for the new ones, 8 is generally seen as the best. 9 and 10 are both good games, but not as good as 8.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Annath posted:

Good to know. I definitely don't mind the game giving incentives for NG+, what I was worried about was things like Trails in the Sky and it's "collect each volume of this book series that the game calls zero attention to, and which are permanently missable, in order to get one of the endgame weapons".

Anything that's limited time will also be marked with a different icon so you know you should probably prioritize it. It was really easy to miss poo poo in the original SO2 but they aren't trying to sell Prima guides anymore.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Defiance Industries posted:

Anything that's limited time will also be marked with a different icon so you know you should probably prioritize it. It was really easy to miss poo poo in the original SO2 but they aren't trying to sell Prima guides anymore.

Awesome.

Yeah those loving books aren't mentioned anywhere. I think the first one is just in some vendor's inventory, another is found by walking up to someone's desk and pressing "A", with no visual prompt, etc :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

Nah, you don't have to worry about that. Honestly if anything you'll probably have a hard time NOT accidentally making endgame gear too early

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the missables in trails games don't really matter that much idk. the books are always fully readable in later games if you want to see them that much. ultimate weapons in those games never particularly matter

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The missable collectibles are extremely whatever but I think it’s a shame to miss out on the hidden side quests. Some are pretty cool!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
explore more then

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

i dont care about retcons, just unrelatedly the writing is really bad

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

So, the most positive things I can say about it are "the game is beatable" and "with enough stubbornness surmountable"

You have basically every pillar of games letting you down here. Without going through my copious posting in this thread in summary; it is full of weird bugs like suddenly being unable to select enemies in combat (happened to me in the final boss fight once, which was awesome), trap options galore in both crafting and character skills, undercooked combat system that for 90% of the fights serves to just make them take longer, incredibly uneven difficulty curve, a fresh-outta-an-asset-pack aesthetic and approach to world design, completely forgettable soundtrack, bizarre QoL gaps, a genuinely bordering on insulting story, and obviously stolen ideas from other games executed so poorly you want to return them to where they came from.

The thing that sticks out in my mind the most other than a couple of absolutely atrocious difficulty spikes is that the final boss of the game and that only the final boss of the game has a horrendous blur filter applied to it that makes you feel like you're going blind which is super fun for a fight that goes for 20+ minutes when, again, it doesn't bug out and prevent you from selecting it as a target.

Now, I want to be clear, the Devs have apparently patched the absolute living hell out of this game since I played it, with patching still happening this year, but as a counter to that benefit when I played they had already started patching it for a while. The revisions since I played though are major revisions, however, not just little tweaks. They jettisoned the entire start of the game and moved it to flashback bits woven throughout the first few chapters of the game, they've reworked the main questline so some of the backtracking filler has been flat out eliminated, they added bonus dungeons, new game +, and all sorts of other stuff. So you know, why don't you play it and let me know if they've turned it around to "passable" instead of "worst game I played in 2022"

So not something to jump on for a long while, given my already large backlog.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Colonel posted:

the missables in trails games don't really matter that much idk. the books are always fully readable in later games if you want to see them that much. ultimate weapons in those games never particularly matter

I do remember being very irritated I missed out on a single recipe in CS1 because it was the opposite side of the map, and it's a very big map, at a place I had no particular reason to go.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
recipes don't really matter for anything though. the hidden quests are the most remarkable pieces of hidden content, nothing else is like, that important. it's like stressing out over bracer points or whatever the equivalent in the game you're playing is, they don't actually expect you to max the number

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
what’s everyone’s favorite trails quest. I’ll always have a lot of affection for the temp librarian one in fc that just keeps going. and the one where estelle has to teach kids and some smart aleck asks her the length of the arseille

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

this is also true of the book that spawned the megami tensei series

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
agnea’s story in octopath is completely inane but her theme song is so good

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
I like how Agnea is surrounded by lesbians through her story and is just completely oblivious to it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m about halfway through everyone’s MSQ at this point and while the thievery and exploration have been a hoot, most of the actual story quests feel like I’m being made to eat my vegetables. they’re all disjointed so there’s seldom any sense of rising action, none of them have been all that intriguing aside from temenos, and the villains all have the depth of dragon quest badguys without the funny puns

just running from one green marker to another, currently poised to strike down the perfidious Greg

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

nrook posted:

what’s everyone’s favorite trails quest. I’ll always have a lot of affection for the temp librarian one in fc that just keeps going. and the one where estelle has to teach kids and some smart aleck asks her the length of the arseille

The quest in Azure that involves a firefight on a running train between Lloyd and [insert party member here], terrorists and an old lady, probably.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

this is also true of the book that spawned the megami tensei series

boy is it ever

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
So I've been playing Star Ocean 2 R and loving it, but one of my old habits has creeped in: I just reached the point where there is a big twist and everything gets flipped on its head and you have a whole new big quest to undertake and...suddenly my motivation to continue has decreased significantly. It's not that I hate the twist or anything like that, and I would like to see what happens next, but I just feel like I lost a lot of energy and am ready to move on for some reason.

As I mentioned, this is fairly common: something about games that make you go on a big quest crossing the entire world, only to then at the end reveal a whole new world with a whole new quest that you need to do just doesn't jive with me a lot of the time. In theory I should be excited that there is so much more left to see and do with these characters I've gotten to know, and that everything will be so fresh and novel, but usually I feel exactly the opposite: I dropped Bioshock 1 after the big twist, dropped several of the Personas after big arc resolutions, dropped Tyranny once it ended the initial arc and opened up free exploration, and so on. Some games I don't necessarily drop but I do suddenly race to the end just doing main quest and ignoring side stuff, like Dragon's Dogma. Hmm...I didn't drop SOTN after the inverted castle twist, so I guess there are exceptions...anyway, other people get like this sometimes? I don't know whether it's a problem with me or if this is just bad game pacing, or maybe a bit of both. Any tips or mindsets on conquering it?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Welp, time to play the shell game of "Do I drive 10 miles to my street date breaking store to get this game, or wait a couple of hours and see if it is one of the eShop games that get to unlock at midnight EST" with Dragon Quest Monsters.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
put it on ice for a few days or so, play something else. see if you feel like coming back after that. no need to push yourself to play one game for too long and if you stress hard over whether you want to play it right now you might just burn yourself out of the very idea of playing it

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My interest in games tend to ebb and flow as well. You do not want to know the list of games that I left off of that I want to theoretically complete someday.

I really should get back into BG3 instead of getting a new game. And TotK. And Xenoblade 3. And...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
:lfgoo: