Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

How is Banchero/Wagner so terrible when the Magic are the 2 seed?

I assume teams with a more balanced scoring approach wouldn’t do very well on this metric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah fair enough, in afl you can't just sub out all the starters, they probably would if they could, not a valid comparison.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Steph/Klay being where they are sure is something.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Glumslinger posted:

How is Banchero/Wagner so terrible when the Magic are the 2 seed?

Orlando is getting crazy good/high production from their bench.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Eratik posted:

they suck and are losers

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

If you break out Steph and Klay to other pairs how does it look?

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Steph is +16.8 per 100 with GPII, +11.5 with Chris Paul, and even or terrible with everyone else.

Klay has only been positive with Chris Paul, Kuminga, and GPII.

Neither has actually shared the court with GPII that often.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Point differential forces teams to go 100% right to the final whistle. Thrilling stuff as we’ve seen.

The opposition is, what, hypothetical injuries? Hurt feelings? Come on man. Every other world sport manages just fine

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

More hurt feelings is a positive side effect

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Giggs posted:

they suck and are losers

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There was a point the TNT people made that it's by point differential it favors the teams who play last since they know exactly what they need.

I think it's not really a good measure to use. Quarters won seems better.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Why is running up the score considered bad form? Is it just one of those bizarre unwritten rules.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Have each team's top 10 players take a shot from half-court, use the number made as a tiebreaker. Teams don't have to be in the same building but you do have to broadcast it as if they were staring each other down.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

There was a point the TNT people made that it's by point differential it favors the teams who play last since they know exactly what they need.

I think it's not really a good measure to use. Quarters won seems better.

That just means you need to schedule all group games to be the same time like the world cup

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

KAT is kinda quietly putting up a great year so far.

He's showing people why he was all-NBA two years ago

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

Have it be the main point. 3pts for a win, +1 for each quarter won. Would make the whole thing more exciting.

But yeah it's generally a solid format. I'd also have some quibbles about scheduling and format but it's been way more stuff done right than wrong.

I see you are a man of culture(a CBA fan)

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
the best and obvious solution is to determine the games that count towards the tournament but don't let anyone know until the elimination games begin (or better yet the final).

1) every game could potentially be important, gotta watch 'em all!
b) teams don't get to decide what games to really try in (not that this really happens anyway but sports fans and marketing people are dumber than poo poo)
iii) gambling houses acquire zero benefit from the absolute saddest sacks of piss (gambling enjoyers) because they can't artificially hype specific games
2) can't ruin my eyes with bird-brained court designs
H) don't have to see the same promo of an over-inflated ll cool j lip-synching a tuba-forward rendition of a 30 year old song which really seems like it's specifically designed to make utterly insecure 40-somethings overreact and defend with far too much zeal this tournament to distract themselves from their deteriorating bones and brains
LXIX) players play without worrying about point differential making them out to be a bunch of punk rear end bitches (in either direction)
*) it would generate the most fervent and deranged conspiracy theories the sport has ever seen

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Seams posted:

Why is running up the score considered bad form? Is it just one of those bizarre unwritten rules.
I don't think it's that bizarre. Like, if your team is already out of the game, you're down big and there's not a lot of time left on the clock, it is literally unnecessary for your opponent to pile on the points and everyone in the game knows it. The losing team has no real interest in running back down the court on defense and slapping the floor or that sort of stuff. You lost already! Then if the opponent takes advantage of your disengaging and throw an alley-oop off the backboard or something, that's really obnoxious!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Why don’t they just hold the tournament separately from the season

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

I don't think it's that bizarre. Like, if your team is already out of the game, you're down big and there's not a lot of time left on the clock, it is literally unnecessary for your opponent to pile on the points and everyone in the game knows it. The losing team has no real interest in running back down the court on defense and slapping the floor or that sort of stuff. You lost already! Then if the opponent takes advantage of your disengaging and throw an alley-oop off the backboard or something, that's really obnoxious!

It's a cultural thing. In AFL if your team is down by 100 and you look like you're not trying, you will be heavily criticised.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Kissinger saw the Wizards losing to the Magic and died. Thanks Kuz/Poole.

i found out henry Kissinger died from the n/v thread

rip in piss

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

If you can’t run up the score without hurting a player you aren’t a very good team

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Up Circle posted:

Why don’t they just hold the tournament separately from the season

Why? They don't need more exhibition games. There's too many regular season games but no one wants to get rid of any (players get half of the revenue), so the tourny is a good way of putting some interest in whats usually a kinda boring part of the season. It's not the championship but it's a little extra on top of the season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Some bench stats

Bench Production by team:
https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/traditional?StarterBench=Bench&dir=A&sort=PTS

Net Rtg:
https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced?StarterBench=Bench&dir=A&sort=NET_RATING

Orlando is really high on both. I think good teams tend to have higher netrtg because bench players get to play with good starters, but that's still very productive for orlando.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

EoinCannon posted:

It's a cultural thing. In AFL if your team is down by 100 and you look like you're not trying, you will be heavily criticised.

Yeah AFL and cricket are the two sports I mainly follow. It’s fine. All sports have their weird unwritten rules.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The other concerning part is that Klay is the other leading scorer. He’s washed

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Seams posted:

It's a weird American thing. In soccer, rugby, AFL, GAA, handball... pretty much any team sport I can think of outside of North America theres no unwritten rule about it at all. You try and beat the other team by as much as possible and the laugh in their faces about it. Everyone on the field is a professional, deal with it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LeBron James: Lakers Have “A Lot” To Fix
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/11/lebron-james-lakers-have-a-lot-to-fix.html

"It was a historic night on Monday for Lakers star LeBron James, who became the NBA’s all-time leader in total regular season and postseason minutes, reaching 66,319 and surpassing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (66,297). However, James also suffered the worst loss of his 21-year NBA career, as his team was on the losing end of a 44-point blowout in Philadelphia."

I noticed LBJ went reboundless in a game for the first time since late 2010. Only the fourth time that's happened in his NBA career.

Eratik posted:

:rip: Klay Thompson.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

tanglewood1420 posted:

It's a weird American thing. In soccer, rugby, AFL, GAA, handball... pretty much any team sport I can think of outside of North America theres no unwritten rule about it at all. You try and beat the other team by as much as possible and the laugh in their faces about it. Everyone on the field is a professional, deal with it.

I kind of love how you said everyone is a professional and laugh in their faces

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zachary LaVine is poised to overtake a Bulls record soon:

code:
Player		3P Field Goals
Kirk Hinrich 	1049
Zach LaVine 	 978
Ben Gordon 	 770
Scottie Pippen 	 664
Coby White 	 608
Michael Jordan 	 555
Lauri Markkanen	 493
Nikola Mirotic 	 432
Steve Kerr 	 430
Andres Nocioni 	 403
Or maybe he will be traded before surpassing Captain Kirk's hallowed record.

The most unbreakable records in NBA history
https://www.basketball-reference.com/bbr-blog/2023/11/the-most-unbreakable-records-in-nba-history/

I think Wilt's 27.2 RPG might be the hardest to break. If the NBA makes a 4P line that 50 PPG or 100 point game could fall. Or some player with great longevity could reach 16K assists.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fart simpson posted:

oh right. im surprised nobody else picked that list

This year 38% of EC playoff votes were unique and 49% of WC playoff votes were unique.

There's tons of room for unique lists as there are 6,930 different possible outcomes for eight playoff teams in a fifteen team conference. And there are ~48 million different possible outcomes when factoring in both conferences. This is the reason it's difficult to guess all sixteen playoff teams correctly.

The most common combinations in the East this year:

76ers, Bucks, Cavaliers, Celtics, Hawks, Heat, Knicks, Pacers (fifteen votes)
76ers, Bucks, Cavaliers, Celtics, Hawks, Heat, Knicks, Raptors (fourteen votes)

The most common combinations in the West this year (ten votes each):

Clippers, Grizzlies, Kings, Lakers, Nuggets, Suns, Thunder, Warriors
Grizzlies, Kings, Lakers, Mavericks, Nuggets, Suns, Timberwolves, Warriors

Trying to randomly guess all eight playoff teams in a conference (with the correct seeding) would be 1 in ~259 million.

Randomly guessing all sixteen playoff teams (with the correct seeding) would be a 1 in ~67 quadrillion proposition.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Zogo posted:

Zachary LaVine is poised to overtake a Bulls record soon:

code:
Player		3P Field Goals
Kirk Hinrich 	1049
Zach LaVine 	 978
Ben Gordon 	 770
Scottie Pippen 	 664
Coby White 	 608
Michael Jordan 	 555
Lauri Markkanen	 493
Nikola Mirotic 	 432
Steve Kerr 	 430
Andres Nocioni 	 403
Or maybe he will be traded before surpassing Captain Kirk's hallowed record.

The most unbreakable records in NBA history
https://www.basketball-reference.com/bbr-blog/2023/11/the-most-unbreakable-records-in-nba-history/

I think Wilt's 27.2 RPG might be the hardest to break. If the NBA makes a 4P line that 50 PPG or 100 point game could fall. Or some player with great longevity could reach 16K assists.

48.5mpg for a season is by far the most unbreakable.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

More evidence of a doomed season.

Giggs posted:

the best and obvious solution is to determine the games that count towards the tournament but don't let anyone know until the elimination games begin (or better yet the final).

1) every game could potentially be important, gotta watch 'em all!
b) teams don't get to decide what games to really try in (not that this really happens anyway but sports fans and marketing people are dumber than poo poo)
iii) gambling houses acquire zero benefit from the absolute saddest sacks of piss (gambling enjoyers) because they can't artificially hype specific games
2) can't ruin my eyes with bird-brained court designs
H) don't have to see the same promo of an over-inflated ll cool j lip-synching a tuba-forward rendition of a 30 year old song which really seems like it's specifically designed to make utterly insecure 40-somethings overreact and defend with far too much zeal this tournament to distract themselves from their deteriorating bones and brains
LXIX) players play without worrying about point differential making them out to be a bunch of punk rear end bitches (in either direction)
*) it would generate the most fervent and deranged conspiracy theories the sport has ever seen

This is good. Also, WHAT IF G7 of the NBA finals was selected at random at the end of the season. Save everyone a lot of time and make everyone watch all 1,230 games.

That game with Poole trying to impress Rubi Rose was G7. :wow:

Seams posted:

It was a gradual thing dating back to the 1990s AFAIK. Norm Van Lier would constantly lament the Bulls not playing with "48 minutes of intensity" ~20 years back. Kind of like there was a time in the 1980s when the ASG was actually serious before being taken less and less seriously.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 30, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dexo posted:

I don't particularly care about it if it happens naturally, but like the notion of keeping your starters in a blowout risking injury and beating up on the opponents end of bench is just the dumbest thing in the world.

Like imagine if Jason Tatum had injured himself in that blow out trying to run up the score.

It just leads to really dumb situations.

I don't think it needs to be incentivized in that way.

i thought it was very entertaining to see the celtics starters hacking drummond in the 4th, up 30 points

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

i found out henry Kissinger died from the n/v thread

rip in piss

That was my whole goal :3:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Zogo posted:

This year 38% of EC playoff votes were unique and 49% of WC playoff votes were unique.

There's tons of room for unique lists as there are 6,930 different possible outcomes for eight playoff teams in a fifteen team conference. And there are ~48 million different possible outcomes when factoring in both conferences. This is the reason it's difficult to guess all sixteen playoff teams correctly.

The most common combinations in the East this year:

76ers, Bucks, Cavaliers, Celtics, Hawks, Heat, Knicks, Pacers (fifteen votes)
76ers, Bucks, Cavaliers, Celtics, Hawks, Heat, Knicks, Raptors (fourteen votes)

The most common combinations in the West this year (ten votes each):

Clippers, Grizzlies, Kings, Lakers, Nuggets, Suns, Thunder, Warriors
Grizzlies, Kings, Lakers, Mavericks, Nuggets, Suns, Timberwolves, Warriors

Trying to randomly guess all eight playoff teams in a conference (with the correct seeding) would be 1 in ~259 million.

Randomly guessing all sixteen playoff teams (with the correct seeding) would be a 1 in ~67 quadrillion proposition.

yeah randomly guessing doesn’t seem like it should be a very good strategy

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

fart simpson posted:

yeah randomly guessing doesn’t seem like it should be a very good strategy

That’s why I always unrandomly guess. I’ve never been wrong.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

kingcobweb posted:

48.5mpg for a season is by far the most unbreakable.

wilt only sat for 8 total minutes that season and played in all 80 games

a true freak among freaks

e: look at this gamelog https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/chambwi01/gamelog/1962/#pgl_basic_playoffs::none

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 1, 2023

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

With only a brief glance, it looks like his worst game might have been when he only put up 22 pts/22 reb (the last game of the season)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Jokic can do it