Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

E the Shaggy posted:

“LOOK AT HOW MUDDY IT IS!!”

Seriously that looks like loving poo poo after one short, slow drive

I cannot wait to hear about how poorly these fellas age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

priznat posted:

That’s normal for LEDs, most cars lights nowadays do that when filmed. It’s not noticeable in person.

For most people. Some people see ghost shimmering in LED lights when combined with eye saccades, like the rainbow effect some people see on cheap DLP projectors.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Waffle House posted:

I hate to apply the brakes, but as severe as that looks, that's actually pretty standard. My Mazda has a similar multi-link setup with that alarming-looking ball joint right up top precariously positioned over the tire tread.

This is correct. The tire and that ball joint with the pokey bit are not going to hit each other because the steering knuckle there is all one piece. That aluminum curve at the top where the ball joint pokes down is the top part of a big, single, sturdy piece. The levelling sensor being exposed to rocks IS a little goofy though.

The Cybertruck is going to be a limited-run vehicle, and units sold may see their value go up and down, but ultimately they will need a more competitive truck that actually can workhorse in the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1-ton lineup that uses the company's design language, like the ones I posted earlier itt. A hardbody, stainless steel truck is novel but not really what people need or want at the end of the day outside of WOW, COOL.

e:

The curvy part at the left (that's the top part we're looking at) is where the ball joint goes and pokes down through; you can see it's designed to go around the tire, and the main bearing in the center is where you bolt the wheel's hub to.

Pretty sure your Mazda 1) wasn't intended to go off-roading and all-terraining, and 2) isn't a seven thousand pound behemoth using the exact same kinds of parts meant for a vehicle half its weight.

priznat posted:

Yah seconding this, some years of the RAV4 had a really distressing looking pokey part extremely close to jabbing into the sidewalls. But for that to ever happen a bunch of poo poo would have had to have broken where you’re pretty hosed already. It’s not an unusual sight although it totally makes sense why people would think it was kinda messed up.

I was a bit surprised to see stamped steel instead of a cast or forged part for the control arms but I’m not a car expert, probably that’s fairly normal too.

RAV4 maxes at 3600, cybbrtrukk is 6400 ~ 6800, and the tweeter was remarking that there's no space for aftermarket larger tires, a common thing for trucks that go off-road(increases traction and wheel contact areas).

Also none of it is in any way shielded from debris or ice, and it's quite the opposite; since it sticks out and isn't well-rounded anything high-speed or excessively not-tiny is more likely to snag.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

rotinaj posted:

Seriously that looks like loving poo poo after one short, slow drive

I cannot wait to hear about how poorly these fellas age

I know a couple people who have DeLoreans and you either drive around with the cleaning kit and spend more time cleaning it than driving, or you paint it.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Busters posted:

I'm going to be honest. A tiny little part of me kind of wants a Cybertruck. It's so stupid and hilarious looking. Like a clown car, or the polar opposite of a clown car. An anti clown car. Imagine driving a meme car.

i want a cybertruck cuz it looks cool dope an bitchin

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aramis posted:

Edit: I'm sorry? The estimated prices includes expected gas savings? :lmao:, that's pathetic.

Gonna list a pair of shoes at a deeply negative price because you don’t have to buy, park, insure, maintain, and fuel a car when using them.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
It is a machine made of excuses.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
What do you think Elon's "peak" was? When those 2 rockets landed side-by-side I thought that was pretty damned cool but it has been 100% downhill since then.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

ymgve posted:

For most people. Some people see ghost shimmering in LED lights when combined with eye saccades, like the rainbow effect some people see on cheap DLP projectors.

Some cars (Maybe just Audi the US, maybe Volvo and Mercedes too?) actually have DLP projector headlights.

The biggest thing that I have noticed is with LED projector lamps in my last car is the visual cutoff can be distractin. My BMW had a very pronounced like neon blue edge cut off that could be disorienting but I haven't noticed in my new Ford. I did drive home in pretty thick fog tonight and one thing that I hadn't noticed before is the projector headlights looked like lightsabers shooting out of the front of my car which was fairly distracting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

delightful posted:

What do you think Elon's "peak" was? When those 2 rockets landed side-by-side I thought that was pretty damned cool but it has been 100% downhill since then.

That was after the child submarine incident, and there’s no way that his peak was after the child submarine incident.

My proposal is the day that the check he got for PayPal cleared.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Platystemon posted:

That was Elon's peak. Every other milestone in his career is colored by, "but actually someone else did that, he just threw money at it."
Including the Twitter acquisition, minus what he personally did to it, and I don't know that I'd call that a peak (except for drug abuse).

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Three Olives posted:

Some cars (Maybe just Audi the US, maybe Volvo and Mercedes too?) actually have DLP projector headlights.

The biggest thing that I have noticed is with LED projector lamps in my last car is the visual cutoff can be distractin. My BMW had a very pronounced like neon blue edge cut off that could be disorienting but I haven't noticed in my new Ford. I did drive home in pretty thick fog tonight and one thing that I hadn't noticed before is the projector headlights looked like lightsabers shooting out of the front of my car which was fairly distracting.

fascinating stuff

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Platystemon posted:

Paid off so nobody has to listen to your stupid ideas any more, I think that's something we can all aspire to

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

delightful posted:

When he glommed onto public consciousness for a while where he was sold as a visionary and there wasn't much material publicized to challenge that narrative.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

delightful posted:

The first Rogan podcast, maybe? That was the point where I think he transcended being the dorky rocket-and-electric-car guy and became the pot-smoking "cool" billionaire that got memed into the mess worshiped by weird nerd bootlickers today. Was that before or after the submarine incident? I honestly don't remember & don't care enough to look it up.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Elon hasn't even begun to peak yet

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ben shapino posted:

A line that only ever slopes downward has no peaks, Politifact rates this True

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Cybertruck is our IRL ED209. Built by a dumb Corp, completely incapable of handling off -level terrain, kills accidentally, huge, heavy, stainless. Shrieks horribly when overturned, probably

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

TotalLossBrain posted:

Cybertruck is our IRL ED209. Built by a dumb Corp, completely incapable of handling off -level terrain, kills accidentally, huge, heavy, stainless. Shrieks horribly when overturned, probably

More like it is our IRL 6000 SUX

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Mistle posted:

Pretty sure your Mazda 1) wasn't intended to go off-roading and all-terraining, and 2) isn't a seven thousand pound behemoth using the exact same kinds of parts meant for a vehicle half its weight.

Worked so well for the Tiger tank. The Panzerboerwagen.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Celexi posted:

what is more odd is that my cameras will have an anti flicker and not show it, nor my pixel or iphone, yet here we are watching someone taking delivery of a cybertruck recording it on a cheap phone

lol what.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

My god, remember 6 years ago when people pretended that Sandy Munro was a neutral arbiter from Big Auto who was just really excited about tesla's incredible technology and wanted to show you the teardown?

What an absolute shill.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Speleothing posted:

My god, remember 6 years ago when people pretended that Sandy Munro was a neutral arbiter from Big Auto who was just really excited about tesla's incredible technology and wanted to show you the teardown?

What an absolute shill.

It’s really funny that he’ll go on about how threaded fasteners are to be avoided, and yet,

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

I have to wonder how badly the impending failure of the Cybertruck is going to effect the viability of electric vehicles as a whole. This could be really bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Suspekt Device posted:

I have to wonder how badly the impending failure of the Cybertruck is going to effect the viability of electric vehicles as a whole. This could be really bad.
It would have been worse like 10 years ago, but most of the big automakers are about to release new cars in the next year or two

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

ben shapino posted:

Mad?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Suspekt Device posted:

why would it do that?

like, most automakers are making fully electric cars now, they are increasingly common all over the world, and in some places are even going to be required by law in the next decade. why would that stop just because of one lovely american truck?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Excuse me, ten lovely American trucks.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

bazingas making GBS threads their pants over an ugly piece of garbage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDIJql9k9lw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1240754657263144960

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

quote:

It's honestly Even worse than what most thought of worst case scenario would be. The base dual motor is now what we were hoping was the worst case tri-motor non-beast mode. Now we find out there is no tri motor non-beast mode And if you want a tri motor it's $100,000 before options. BEFORE. OPTIONS. Oh and your range has been reduced by 160 miles. Oh and no information given on interior features or accessories.

It's a colossal failure. But here's the thing... I want it. I think nothing else in the world looks like it and I want it. Now what I thought I was going to be paying for a tri motor I'm going to be paying for a dual motor. You literally can't tow with this thing. You can't. And the extender is apparently $16,000 and takes up half the bed.

This is a full-on disaster.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Interesting

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Every future event is a gets closer every year.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Love the car tho

cracker
May 12, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Suspekt Device posted:

The big three not working together to build super charging networks is the thing loving electric vehicles.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Celexi posted:

i see plenty of less wealthy people around seattle with electric cars since gas prices started raising this year a lot more.

Poor people cannot own an electric car because we have nowhere to charge them because we do not own homes

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

YOURFRIEND posted:

Poor people cannot own an electric car because we have nowhere to charge them because we do not own homes

I spent over 4 years charging my BMW i3 on a 120v outlet and almost a year charging my Mach-E on the same outlet with zero issues. Like, a standard outlet, the kind that are completely normal on the exterior of houses.

People are severely exaggerating the charging problem, plenty of kind of lovely apartment complexes have garages you can rent with 120v outlets inside.

Mogatrat
Feb 13, 2012

Your flesh is an insult to the perfection of the digital.
shut the gently caress up Three Olives

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Mogatrat posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Mogatrat posted: