Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larryb posted:

New trailer for the Suicide Squad anime:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TtwBgQ82Pls
why does this exist lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mystes posted:

why does this exist lol

No loving clue, but it seems weird enough to be worth a try at least

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
"superhero multiverse" = "isekai fantasy" is actually pretty fuckin parallol thinking, i appreciate the concept

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's by the writer of Re:Zero, which I haven't watched but seems reasonably well-regarded. It also seems to be putting the Joker and Harley's romance front and centre, which is mildly unusual in that, well, it's usually not depicted as a 'romance' so much as it is an awful toxic tar-pit that one or both of them need to escape from. Having them as a stable, affectionate homicidal maniac couple (if that's what the show chooses to do) is rare enough to be interesting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

It's by the writer of Re:Zero, which I haven't watched but seems reasonably well-regarded. It also seems to be putting the Joker and Harley's romance front and centre, which is mildly unusual in that, well, it's usually not depicted as a 'romance' so much as it is an awful toxic tar-pit that one or both of them need to escape from. Having them as a stable, affectionate homicidal maniac couple (if that's what the show chooses to do) is rare enough to be interesting.

Harley getting away from Joker as an abusive SO has been a giant arc for her character over the last decade-ish or so which means if they're a couple it's kind of a step back but it's also an anime one-off so it's probably not worth getting too spun out over.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pleasantly surprised by Scott Pilgrim Takes Off. As a not-comics-reader, I looked at the movie as a sort of quirky love letter to source material I wasn't familiar with. The series goes places I didn't expect, lets all those minor characters breathe a lot more, and flexes all of its original-cast-members-who-are-now-much-more famous credentials. I can't imagine how much this must have cost in rehiring everyone (and new cameos) plus music licensing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of comic adaptations, reminder to those interested that Hilda finally returns for the last time next week. Here’s a trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mPqGwCl63GE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth Walrus posted:

Batman vs TMNT has them display an unprecedented amount of physical attraction when both are turned into furries.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm wondering whether Krapopolis had a troubled production; there's clearly some censorship going on with some of the shots (there are some obvious cuts around violence, and apparently sucking on animal teats is right out) and the animation can vary wildly in quality from episode to episode. They clearly expected this episode in particular to have more of a budget, with multiple extended fight scenes and a loving villain song and dance number, and the animation looked pretty lovely at times.

I checked out the schedule for the remaining episodes and a) these episodes are still wildly out of order, with this episode intended to be the season's penultimate airing and b) the plan to air those remaining three episodes is at the rate of one per month(!). The show seems to playing with several arc plots -- the Titan lore, the forest dwellers, Tyrannis living down to his name -- so it's actively frustrating to see the show get hosed around with this way. But there's also just a lot of weirdness around the tone of things e.g. the occasional moments where it'll dip straight into more serious drama, where the flat staging and absence of music stops being the kind of thing you'd grin and bear from this kind of sitcom and starts to actively get in the way.

Apparently the show's official discord was recently retired (or something) too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm sure anyone involved with production is just as eager to put all the nft voting whatever garbage behind them as soon as anyone watching it is. If I'd known they were going to play around with episode order and then take 3 months to release 3 episodes arbitrarily I would've waited till it was all out.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Watching Blue Eye Samurai and maybe it’s a thing I missed as I’m watching it on train commutes and my attention is sometimes taken, but I’m a little fuzzy on why she wants to kill the white dude. Like this guy raped/impregnated her mom and now she has to live as a “monstrosity” so she wants revenge for that?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dr.Radical posted:

Like this guy raped/impregnated her mom and now she has to live as a “monstrosity” so she wants revenge for that?

Yeah it's a rape/revenge story but she's partly motivated out of internalized racism.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, the crime which Mizu is attempting to avenge is her own birth because she kind of believes the whole "half-breed demon monster" thing and thinks she should never have been born in the first place.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the motive behind mizu's revenge being patently insane is one of the neater wrinkles in BES. it's not so much vengeance as a death wish turned inside-out

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah, Mizu's a mess of internalized racism. She can't fight society with a sword. So she's channeled her rage into a murder-quest that is more plausible and ironically also more allowable. Fortunately, her targets all deserve it.

It's notable that Fowler also seethes with rage over society's racism, although he is confronting it voluntarily and is making a huge amount of money from that choice.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

And through her actions she is seen as a demon by those around her, kind of turning it into a self fullfilling prophecy. Some demon accusations are unwarranted but she does kill a fuckload of people and do some terrible things that people would see as demonic.

If I saw what she did at the whore house I would absolutely believe she is a demon, even if she saved me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

And through her actions she is seen as a demon by those around her, kind of turning it into a self fullfilling prophecy. Some demon accusations are unwarranted but she does kill a fuckload of people and do some terrible things that people would see as demonic.

If I saw what she did at the whore house I would absolutely believe she is a demon, even if she saved me.

Yeah, Mizu either accidentally or intentionally blowing up all the good things in her life because she can't let go of her own self-hatred and the call to destroy herself both internally and externally is incredibly fascinating. It also speaks volumes about how much she truly loves, respect and cares for Eiji that she's managed to mainly avoid having any of that fallout spill onto him as well. I think he is the one person in the world who if anything bad happened to him as a result of her just being who she is, it would just end her as a person.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mind you, her flashbacks do also make it clear that it's a bit of a kill-or-be-killed situation, seeing as people (possibly including Fowler, considering how horrifyingly thorough he is about getting rid of his offspring) have been sending bounty-hunting death-squads after her ever since she was a literal child, with traumatic consequences. Her quest for revenge is only partially irrational.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So if it's true that Mama was actually a servant, is it possible Mizu's father was Japanese and her mother was European? There were 4 white men in Japan at the time of her birth and... that's all we know. The 4 white men. If Fowler's assertion isn't a bald-faced lie, I'm trying to figure out why the Mama/servant thing would be included past muddling who might've turned Mizu in.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I read it as: 1) Muddling “who sold her out” a bit more and/or 2) Mom is still alive. But I’m also an idiot so who knows.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the final "white man" turns out to be her mother.

I'm not fluent in Japanese, but from what I know "gaikokujin" or the modern form, "gaijin" can refer to either a man or woman.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the final "white man" turns out to be her mother.

I'm not fluent in Japanese, but from what I know "gaikokujin" or the modern form, "gaijin" can refer to either a man or woman.

I think Fowler uses male pronouns when he's describing the remaining two to Mizu, so they're probably both men.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember also that this is a French-American production that was written in English first, so the gender ambiguities of the Japanese language are unlikely to be a major plot point.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Hope I didn't miss the Scott Pilgrim chat.

I think a lot of potential was missed because of how shallow the concept of divorce was handled. Saying "oh, we'll just do things differently" is kinda weak. Going for a message like "love is still worth pursuing even if it does end in divorce" has a bit more edge to it, though it is more absurdist in nature

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember also that this is a French-American production that was written in English first, so the gender ambiguities of the Japanese language are unlikely to be a major plot point.

True, but it doesn't necessarily have to rely on pronoun ambiguity. There are 4 white men for sure, but it's never stated if there were any women. There may have been 5 white people. Think the Eowyn "I am no man" loophole.

Just exploring ideas! I'm likely off by a country mile.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also for what it's worth, I suppose it would be appropriate for one of Mizu's supposed fathers turn out to be her mother who's also been pretending to be a man like Mizu has been doing almost all of her life. That way you could even have Fowler maybe taken aback by it too.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
:hmmyes:
There are a lot of fun scenarios that could be explored! I SURE HOPE IT GETS A SECOND SEASON. :sludgepal:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Fionna and Cake got renewed!

https://vxtwitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1732097529313935420

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Solar Tornado posted:

Hope I didn't miss the Scott Pilgrim chat.

I think a lot of potential was missed because of how shallow the concept of divorce was handled. Saying "oh, we'll just do things differently" is kinda weak. Going for a message like "love is still worth pursuing even if it does end in divorce" has a bit more edge to it, though it is more absurdist in nature

But they didn't get divorced! That's the whole point! Scott took Ramona leaving "for space" as her saying the relationship was over, when actually Ramona wanted him to come after her, but didn't actually say it and he didn't get it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Link’s not working, here’s a better one:

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1732097529313935420

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Weird. That felt like a closed and completed story to me. I hope they don't milk it out to much.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Weird. That felt like a closed and completed story to me. I hope they don't milk it out to much.

I mean to be fair there’s still a bunch of stuff you can do with the AT universe but yeah, Fionna and Cake in particular felt like their story was completed in the previous season. We’ll see how it goes I guess

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Thanks, I won't go to twitter so I had just copied the link from the discord chat i saw it in

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

My favorite thing about Fionna and Cake was just the journey of three morons touristing through fun settings. I'm always done for more of that, but I feel like I would have preferred a twenty episode season to give that concept breathing room. With all the arcs wrapped up, hard to feel like they wouldn't be going backward.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

nine-gear crow posted:

Also for what it's worth, I suppose it would be appropriate for one of Mizu's supposed fathers turn out to be her mother who's also been pretending to be a man like Mizu has been doing almost all of her life. That way you could even have Fowler maybe taken aback by it too.

Then we find out that “Mizu” is just her name because it was the only Japanese word her mother knew before heading back to Europe. :v:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think there's a lot more to do with the Fionna world characters, and I reckon the show would be best off just doing stories set there and looking at that new reality.

That'd be really neat.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I want for Mizu for Taigen to follow her to London and they finally fall in love when he learns the truth about her. He then joins her on her revenge quest. I expect it to be a tragic romance of some sort because its this show.

Also how long needs to pass before we stop using spoiler tags?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

I want for Mizu for Taigen to follow her to London and they finally fall in love when he learns the truth about her. He then joins her on her revenge quest. I expect it to be a tragic romance of some sort because its this show.

I figured there'd be a decent chance they make it so in the opening moments of a hypothetical season 2 she just walks below deck and he's already there because he tracked her down while she was preparing to leave and insisted on coming cause he's got nothing else going on now.

It's not like they showed how long had passed or anything and I doubt they'd discard all the cast if they were to make a second season so it'd not even be a particularly huge revelation.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

limp_cheese posted:

I don't know, I just don't want anyone to yell at me. ):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

I figured there'd be a decent chance they make it so in the opening moments of a hypothetical season 2 she just walks below deck and he's already there because he tracked her down while she was preparing to leave and insisted on coming cause he's got nothing else going on now.

It's not like they showed how long had passed or anything and I doubt they'd discard all the cast if they were to make a second season so it'd not even be a particularly huge revelation.

Yeah I could easily see Taigen and Ringo somehow following her to London just out of their obsession with being around her. Plus it's kinda weird to just leave like 80% of the main cast behind for London shenanigans, as temping as a Mizu-Fowler Maybe-Father-Daughter Revenge Roadtrip is.