Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muike posted:

japan thought protocols of the elders of zion was loving sick

They also thought "gently caress yes, these Elders of Zion are badass. We need to be best friends with them."

It's a very weird bit of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

So I really liked Gundam when I was a kid and I remember enjoying 08th MS Team like ten years ago. I've just kind of had a hankering to watch some mecha recently and the OP seems pretty old, so I wanted to ask if there are any more recent thoughts on what the best Gundam series are? I think I'm still going to watch War in the Pocket first, but afterwards what should I watch?

Sidenote: I also remember watching some VOTOMS way back in the day, I know this is the Gundam thread but is that anime considered good?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tosk posted:

So I really liked Gundam when I was a kid and I remember enjoying 08th MS Team like ten years ago. I've just kind of had a hankering to watch some mecha recently and the OP seems pretty old, so I wanted to ask if there are any more recent thoughts on what the best Gundam series are? I think I'm still going to watch War in the Pocket first, but afterwards what should I watch?

Sidenote: I also remember watching some VOTOMS way back in the day, I know this is the Gundam thread but is that anime considered good?

War in the Pocket, Thunderbolt, and Turn A are all still universally praised.
Iron-Blooded Orphans and Witch From Mercury are the two recent series that are quite well regarded, although both have their detractors.
Unicorn has outstanding animation and action, although some old school Gundam fans don't like it because it's a bit derivative of earlier Gundams. But you haven't seen those shows so you won't notice.

IMO, after War in the Pocket, the first Thunderbolt movie, December Sky, and then Gundam Unicorn would be excellent viewing choices.

VOTOMS is very good. Ryōsuke Takahashi, the guy who made VOTOMS, is a big figure in mecha anime and has made a lot of classic shows.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Votoms is great and has an insane falloff after the main anime.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gaius Marius posted:

The sequel OVAs aren't great but Mellowlink owns.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mellow link, Big Battle and Last Red Shoulder are all good to decent.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tosk posted:

i generally think you can do war in the pocket and thunderbolt in whatever order you prefer, they're both very good and at opposite ends of the gundam tone scale for how "war is bad" is portrayed (gradually building to a big climax vs upfront in your face and relentless). how you feel on those can better inform which gundam series you'd like from there.

IBO and gundam witch from mercury are both considered good introductory shows as well. they both look pretty and are going to have more "modern" anime sensibilities, and neither requires any pre-knowledge of previous gundam shows (gwitch is explicitly a focused attempt to reach people who aren't already gundam fans)

if you're in it for the long haul you can go with the original show, which can be very good or kind of dull depending on your tolerance for old anime and reading into subtle character moments.

unicorn is a great pick if you're already familiar with UC and just want to watch some pretty mecha action with well written scenes and can excuse a stupid overall plot. if you aren't familiar with UC some people even say it's good for that!

depending on your personal tastes g gundam, wing, and 00 are worth looking at. g and wing are both going to trend towards being "silly" or "camp" shows (wing is the more melodramatic, incomprehensible-political-monologues version). 00 is the obviously-post-9/11 gundam and the first season is broadly well liked, and even its detractors are usually going to more have mixed praise for it doing some interesting stuff.

turn A is what would be the most well regarded gundam show and if you're somewhat familiar with one or two previous gundam shows you'll be fine (even if you aren't it's not a big deal).

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Tosk posted:

Turn A Gundam. It's simply the best one, no contest. Some people say you shouldn't watch it until you've seen others, but it works just fine on its own. IBO is also very good the whole way through, and is a bit more of a standard Gundam show. It's also probably closer to what you liked about 08th MS Team than any of the other tv shows

If you like War in the Pocket and want more UC stuff you should ignore the OP and start with the 1979 tv show and just watch in release order from there. The compilation movies are a fair bit shorter and look better, but you're missing out on so much of what makes that show good. Lots of little moments and episodes that get cut that I think make the movies much worse. If you like that then you can move onto Zeta and ZZ and Char's Counterattack

Gaius Marius posted:

I thought Brilliant Shining Heresy was pretty good! How can you hate an OVA where the space pope sends his cyborg assassin daughter after the main character?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think a single VOTOMs thing that carries on past the ending of the original series is good. It just ends up being a weird combination of ever-greater Chirico Is The Best wankery followed by ever great making GBS threads On Him wankery and doesn't actually improve any element of the story.

Mellowlink is good.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Turn A first shifts the viewing experience a bit since it recontextualizes the UC, Wing, G Gundam, and Gundam X timelines. If you're cognizant of that, you might watch the others with a different impression in some areas. Which is kinda neat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GundamInfoNA/status/1730330869552804005?t=nZAAoXqHZvd0tqZqI2UNcA&s=19

Honestly yes, are you going to sell them

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mister Olympus posted:

unhinged old man tomino is always a unique experience. "i remember going to auschwitz and thinking 'drat the women here are thicc' because i couldn't bring myself to look at the murder sites, and so that became a character"

also someone posted at some point that if you desperately want more of the story of a rich kid joining a space insurgency you should just watch dougram, and i think that holds as a comment

It's a pretty wild interview, yeah. But I can understand why he might not have been able to bring himself to look at the incinerator, given that Japan was at least somewhat complicit in enabling the Holocaust considering that they were allied with Nazi Germany. Seeing that Tomino is virulently anti-war, I can't imagine that this fact was lost on him when he went there.

Regardless, it's cool to hear that Katejina is his favorite character and that Duker Iq Was Never Wrong.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

All that promotion for a pair of stickers and a PG kit nobody is allowed to buy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I can't believe I only just now realized that literally everyone in gundam just fights with open comms on the entire time. I was sitting there wondering why Kira cared at all that he killed Nicol, he's killed so many dudes and didn't seem to care at all, except it kept flashing back specifically to Athrun screaming; so he had to have heard that, right? So they just had their comms open. Then I realized that poo poo, that's how gundam always is, isn't it? People just yelling at each other in robot fights because no one decides to just switch that poo poo off. Anyway, severed Tolle head is pretty great, third best decapitation in the franchise I've seen.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Then I realized that poo poo, that's how gundam always is, isn't it? People just yelling at each other in robot fights because no one decides to just switch that poo poo off.

No, 90% of the time it's emphatically not this, and only the audience is hearing anyone talking. Especially in the UC, where Minovsky particles make it impossible to communicate over distances which means mobile suits have to be physically touching each other to communicate if the particle density is high enough.

Characters being able to understand each other at a distance usually indicates they're newtypes (or whatever the AU equivalent is).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 1, 2023

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The best one is Turn-A when everyone keeps leaning out the cockpit door to just yell at each other.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

jackhunter64 posted:

The best one is Turn-A when everyone keeps leaning out the cockpit door to just yell at each other.

That was a ZZ innovation. Especially in the early episodes, lots of people leaving the cockpit open so they can yell at unruly teens.

And that was just building off Xabungle, where most of the robots didn't even have windshields so allies and enemies clambering up into the cockpit was very common

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
UC mobile suits have laser messages which range from being bullshit radio to just moress code but they've obviously got to be in line of sight for that. Don't they also have some sort of tin can on a string device?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

War and Pieces posted:

UC mobile suits have laser messages which range from being bullshit radio to just moress code but they've obviously got to be in line of sight for that. Don't they also have some sort of tin can on a string device?

In thunderbolt they had a lil magnetic patch and wire they shot to an adjacent mech to talk with

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
UC suits can also use point of contact to relay messages, i.e. if your MS physically touches another MS it'll link the comms systems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In the CE people who hear each other are explicitly yelling at each other over the emergency broadcast frequency. Shinn gets yelled at once for doing it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arc Hammer posted:

UC suits can also use point of contact to relay messages, i.e. if your MS physically touches another MS it'll link the comms systems.
I thought you could get some control room bants because they had tightbeam lasers or something, the problem being you have to have a laser pointed at the MS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/seiyuucorner/status/1730617752631566393?t=9ojszhIBHLPaVS2CjAvrXA&s=19

It's tomorrow in Japan so happy birthday to Char.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. I didn't know he voiced Shanks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
They forgot my very good and trustworthy friend Quattro

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Quattro is a Char so it goes without saying

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arc Hammer posted:

What

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Quattro is clearly Quattro Bajeena, what are you talking about

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Nuebot posted:

They forgot my very good and trustworthy friend Quattro

He has never once betrayed anyone in his life!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

You shouldn't post fringe theories like that in threads with Gundam newbies in them

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Quattro is a Char in the same way that Harry Ord is a Char. He's clearly in conversation with the character but doesn't actually fit the bill that well

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blond? Check.
Piloted a red Mobile Suit? Check.
Covers his face? Check.
Voiced by Shuichi Ikeda? Check.

Beyond never betraying anyone, I think we can say that Quattro is, in fact, a Char.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Char would never wear anything without sleeves, so Quattro can't be a Char.

This is why Full Frontal is a Char though, because he has Sleeves.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Maybe one day we can have Quattro and Char together in a SRW game to settle this!

actually having all three versions of Char would be kinda if neat for SRW to explore

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Maybe one day we can have Quattro and Char together in a SRW game to settle this!

actually having all three versions of Char would be kinda if neat for SRW to explore

It hasn't happened, but GC/XO comes close when you go through the entirety of the OYW in the game's first quarter including having multiple fights with Char, pop off into space for a while after A Baoa Qu, and come back and immediately team up with the recently formed AEUG (created to fight the bad guys from Layzner because Super Robot Wars) whose immediate pilot roster includes one Captain Quattro. Sayla is a playable pilot in that game and AFAIK at no point does he break Kayfabe with his sister. I consider this easily the most canon-compliant part of the whole shebang.

Also Super Robot Wars Z3 has a running back and forth between Char and Full Frontal, with the latter eventually being revealed in that game to basically be the living amalgamated incarnation of all of Char's bad decisions and general shittiness accumulated over his 12000 previous reincarnations. Unsurprisingly he horns in and tries to drop Axis for real, as opposed to Char in Z3 who planned on PRETENDING to drop Axis in a convoluted scheme to try and protect the linear progression of time on Earth. Also the Anti-Spirals get involved. High concept Super Robot Wars goes to some wild places.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

You shouldn't post fringe theories like that in threads with Gundam newbies in them

Are you doubting the journalistic integrity of Kai Shiden? For shame.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Omnicrom posted:

Also Super Robot Wars Z3 has a running back and forth between Char and Full Frontal, with the latter eventually being revealed in that game to basically be the living amalgamated incarnation of all of Char's bad decisions and general shittiness accumulated over his 12000 previous reincarnations. Unsurprisingly he horns in and tries to drop Axis for real, as opposed to Char in Z3 who planned on PRETENDING to drop Axis in a convoluted scheme to try and protect the linear progression of time on Earth. Also the Anti-Spirals get involved. High concept Super Robot Wars goes to some wild places.

I... don't think any of that is what happened? Except the time thing, kinda.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Having CCA, The Origin, and Zeta: A New Translation in the same game could make that happen. Having two or three Amuros would be interesting too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Having CCA, The Origin, and Zeta: A New Translation in the same game could make that happen. Having two or three Amuros would be interesting too.

One manga recently confirmed Amuro had a ton of body doubles during Gryps. Easy way to have multiples if you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1730981482020368472?t=y6xtac0r0t4tfVgsZjHBXA&s=19