Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

for some reason whenever someone brings up lake mungo i immediately instead think of beneath, the dopey-rear end killer catfish movie with this beautiful creature

that's goin right on the watchlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I made today count already regardless, as I remembered May December premiered on Netflix today

god drat Todd Haynes is still a great director

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Haynes is one of the all time greats.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's goin right on the watchlist

I don't get why they made it look like a colceanth. Is it because catfish look too dopey?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

is May December horror?

Safe definitely counts.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
safe is a better version of every a24 horror movie except for maybe under the skin

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
POISON (1991) also a tremendously creepy movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

POISON (1991) also a tremendously creepy movie.

oh yeah that's been on my watchlist for a minute

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh yeah that's been on my watchlist for a minute

I'll sweeten it for you: it's one of the better horror anthology films.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I readded Shudder after a year and was doing my list yesterday, and drat some real bangers came out the last few months, this is going to be a good few weeks for me

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Never heard of Poison ( 1991) but I'm game for most anthology films.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How does it rank against Poison Ivy?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Coaaab posted:

safe is a better version of every a24 horror movie except for maybe under the skin

Coaaab what the gently caress are you talking about?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

Coaaab what the gently caress are you talking about?

the crazy thing is they're not wrong

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Safe is an all-timer. By every metric I have to give

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

to me it feels like one of the best Cronenberg movies Cronenberg never made, although that may not be giving enough credit to how unique it is

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Safe owns, and you can reasonably hold it in high regard in your own personal favorites, but I just don't see the connection to A24 films whatsoever.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

IMDB has 3 titles called "Safe", a Netflix miniseries with Michael C. Hall, an action flick with Jason Statham, and some movie with Julianne Moore about people who are allergic to modern living or something. Which one are you guys talking about?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Statham movie is very underrated. Not very scary though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

Safe owns, and you can reasonably hold it in high regard in your own personal favorites, but I just don't see the connection to A24 films whatsoever.

horror movies for art house people, i assume

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In the internet age you have to name your movie something more clearly identifiable than "Safe", so that people can easily find it when they search. Like, it would be a bad idea to name your movie "Horror" because it would effectively be invisible to internet searches.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

horror would be a fun name for a horror movie tbh lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Basebf555 posted:

In the internet age you have to name your movie something more clearly identifiable than "Safe", so that people can easily find it when they search. Like, it would be a bad idea to name your movie "Horror" because it would effectively be invisible to internet searches.

Jordan Peele has entered the chat

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If anything A24 doing a Safe remake would own

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Horror (movie)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Or like every few years when someone names their horror movie "Monster". So generic that it slips through the cracks of people's awareness and gets memory holed within months as if it never existed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horror Monster The Movie

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

There was V/H/S chat a few weeks ago, specifically about old ones vs. newer ones.

A producer of 1 and 2 tweeted this thread today in response to a review that left her name out of the producers and how it's become Brad Miska's V/H/S series.

https://x.com/rox_anne_b/status/1730609383615136091?s=20

I really preferred the earlier ones.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rewatching 2 recently and yeah. They’re better. Except for Ratmaa. Hail ratmaa

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The first couple of entries were probably just a perfect storm of a ton of talented indie filmmakers working together before they had their breaks. That and just the right time and place for an interesting idea and play on the found footage genre. Nowadays the gimmick just feels forced.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the first three V/H/S movies had about two good segments between the three of them so i'd hate to think they've gotten worse

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's really funny that V/H/S has been long enough to go through multiple phases of horror trends.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the first three V/H/S movies had about two good segments between the three of them so i'd hate to think they've gotten worse

This is also true

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
my neighbor lost her cat

his name is little monster

she's been calling out for little monster in kitty voice in our neighborhood

its adorable and i hope she finds him

Edit: she found him!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 1, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

horror movies for art house people, i assume

I feel like "A24 horror" is for people who want to paint with broad strokes but know saying "elevated horror" makes you sound like an rear end in a top hat.

Doltos posted:

If anything A24 doing a Safe remake would own

I'd watch it!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Or like every few years when someone names their horror movie "Monster". So generic that it slips through the cracks of people's awareness and gets memory holed within months as if it never existed.

Hell, even A24's guilty.

https://letterboxd.com/film/the-monster-2016/

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Why remake perfection

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The only elevated horror I recognize is the film Hellevator.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Has anyone else had an idea for a horror movie about a horror movie gone wrong and to call it Director's Cut

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Has anyone else had an idea for a horror movie about a horror movie gone wrong and to call it Director's Cut

drat that's pretty good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Safe, the movie where Julianne Moore becomes convinced that she's hyper allergic to all chemicals and radio waves or whatever, is incredible and a great movie for "this is horrifying but uses basically no horror aesthetic or tropes."

It's also unique because it's horrifying to put yourself in the shoes of everyone else, Moore is the protagonist and she's unaware of how insane she is.