Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Soooooooooooooooooon

Edit: lol I did not intend for that to be a page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

Owlcat video breaking down the basic combat mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA1C_6v4rP0

Ranged Combat
- Need to roll equal or less then 30+BS to hit
- Standard dodge chance is 30+(target's AGI - attackers PER)%
- Full cover gives you 60% to avoid getting hit, half cover is 35%
- If you shoot more then half the weapons effective range, hit chance becomes 15+(BS/2)
- Burst fire all have separate to-hit rolls
- Area Attacks, if to hit roll fails, targets suffering a grazing hit, 50% of original damage
- Burst and AoE can hit allies

Melee
- Parry Chance is 2 x (target WS+parry bonus) - (attackers WS +parry reduction)
- Melee has 100% to hit, but will be dodged/parry whichever is higher
- Each ally next to your target gives you a +10 WS when attacking
- If in melee range you cannot use most ranged weapons, only pistols and shotguns
- If holding a melee weapon you make attacks of opportunity on anything who tries to leave a neighboring tile

Defense
- Deflection decreases damage by a flat number value
- Armor is % of damage absorbed after deflection
- Penetration will modify the targets armor
- Crits start at 10% doing 150% damage
- Every increase to hit chance after 95% increases ranged crit hit chance in a 1:1 ratio
- Melee crit chance is equal to (Attacker WS-target WS)

Momentum/Morale
- Fights starts with 100
- Increases as enemies go down, decreases as allies go down-
- Heroic Act becomes available when momentum hits 175, first use costs 75 momentum and each consecutive use costs 25 more.
- Desperate Measures: Available when momentum drops below 25, heavy drawbacks

Boo you gotta roll to-hit for Flamers. In Pen and paper they auto hit unless the target success an agility check to get out of the way. It gave low ballistic skill characters a way to have some ranged presence.

Kind of scraps my original character idea of a flamer commissar leader so I could dump BS for more fellowship and willpower.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Boo you gotta roll to-hit for Flamers. In Pen and paper they auto hit unless the target success an agility check to get out of the way. It gave low ballistic skill characters a way to have some ranged presence.

Kind of scraps my original character idea of a flamer commissar leader so I could dump BS for more fellowship and willpower.

There's so many bonuses to attacking enemies with the burning debuff it's probably going to be more important for stacking that feature then for actual damage dealt.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

That's kinda irritating, actually, even as someone who has no experience with PNP RT. "Area" weapons like flamethrowers are basically man-portable Fireball spells (or Burning Hands) from D&D, and intuitively I expect them to behave similarly, because streams of liquid fire don't headshot. It's a bit of gaming shorthand and while I know the abstraction of an RPG gives some freedom in how you calculate this, the 'intuitive' result is that even someone blindfolded would barbeque anything downrange if they don't get out of the way so long as its pointed in the right direction.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The video yesterday said failing your hit roll still does 50% damage, which seems like a fine abstraction. I’m sure there still some skill involved with using a flamethrower.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I mean, it still does 50% damage on a miss. That seems right. If you hit someone with the stream of burning promethium directly, that would be more damaging.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
AoE attacks also include plasma weapons, which work more like a grenade launcher as well.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, from the beta AoE weapons were still effective for low BS characters, though I do think that importance might fall with the addition of all the new talents and abilities that Operative and Leader-type characters lacked before.

Also, with the reveal that Psyker attacks count as weapon attacks, I'm thinking of rolling a Psyker Marksman- being able to use my powers twice a turn with Run & Gun is sure to lead to *~*~FUN TIMES~*~*:unsmigghh:

EDIT: I've just realized that after watching this video, a Psyker Marksman who goes Arch-Militant can use their powers up to three times every other turn, and that's not counting the absolute carnage they can perform using their own Marksman Heroic Act (from what Slandered could tell, the AM is the only class that has the chance to use two Heroic Acts a turn). Tzeentch will absolutely be pleased :supaburn:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 1, 2023

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, from the beta AoE weapons were still effective for low BS characters, though I do think that importance might fall with the addition of all the new talents and abilities that Operative and Leader-type characters lacked before.

Also, with the reveal that Psyker attacks count as weapon attacks, I'm thinking of rolling a Psyker Marksman- being able to use my powers twice a turn with Run & Gun is sure to lead to *~*~FUN TIMES~*~*:unsmigghh:

EDIT: I've just realized that after watching this video, a Psyker Marksman who goes Arch-Militant can use their powers up to three times every other turn, and that's not counting the absolute carnage they can perform using their own Marksman Heroic Act (from what Slandered could tell, the AM is the only class that has the chance to use two Heroic Acts a turn). Tzeentch will absolutely be pleased :supaburn:

As long as you do not break the veil by yourself every turn

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

As long as you do not break the veil by yourself every turn

'do not' is unnecessary in this post.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

pentyne posted:

There's something with the mechanics about how psyker abilities count as attacks, and whether or not perception effects your hit chance, that I recall from a while back that hasn't been made clear to me.

If it's like the pen and paper game, then every psyker power has a focus power test you need to make to actually cast. Usually a focus power test uses either a psyniscience(perception based) test or a straight willpower test. I think there are a few edge case spells that use some other skills for a focus power test but they are rare and may actually be from one of the other tabletop systems, hell if I can remember

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xun posted:

If it's like the pen and paper game, then every psyker power has a focus power test you need to make to actually cast. Usually a focus power test uses either a psyniscience(perception based) test or a straight willpower test. I think there are a few edge case spells that use some other skills for a focus power test but they are rare and may actually be from one of the other tabletop systems, hell if I can remember

In the beta psyker powers just worked when cast, and the enemy got to make their skill check to dodge/resist. The staffs with their unique powers counted as weapon attacks that increased Veil Degradation, but also came with unique heroic moments like force lightning that wouldn't hit your allies which I think did not weaken the Veil.

Unless they really improve the itemization the staffs are more like pure psyker only builds, as it scales solely off of Psy Ranking.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

pentyne posted:

In the beta psyker powers just worked when cast, and the enemy got to make their skill check to dodge/resist. The staffs with their unique powers counted as weapon attacks that increased Veil Degradation, but also came with unique heroic moments like force lightning that wouldn't hit your allies which I think did not weaken the Veil.

Unless they really improve the itemization the staffs are more like pure psyker only builds, as it scales solely off of Psy Ranking.

:shrug: I'm not in the beta so yeah I couldn't say. Just pointing out focus power is how the table top makes perception affect psyker powers hit chance

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xun posted:

:shrug: I'm not in the beta so yeah I couldn't say. Just pointing out focus power is how the table top makes perception affect psyker powers hit chance

Yeah Owlcat had to pick and choose what would work from the pnp and left out a lot of things, while adding their own. A big part of the 1.0 release is going to be finding out if anything doesn't actually work as written regardless of what rule changes they've made.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m clinging to the silly dream that this will be playable from an interface perspective from on the Steam Deck, because it would be such a good travel game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The tabletop game has an insane profusion of rules. It's a great synthesis of subject and style: the rules are as byzantine as Imperial law and as hard to navigate as the trackless depths of the expanse.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arglebargle III posted:

The tabletop game has an insane profusion of rules. It's a great synthesis of subject and style: the rules are as byzantine as Imperial law and as hard to navigate as the trackless depths of the expanse.

And they're STILL simpler than Pathfinder's rules! :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Arglebargle III posted:

It doesn't help that the rules straight up worked inconsistently from what you would expect depending on which 40k rpg splat you were using.

In Dark Heresy 1st edition and rogue trader, when you go to fire a gun you choose if you are firing single shot, semi auto burst, or full auto burst. You would think the single shot would be the most accurate and you'd be loving wrong. Single shot was a ballistic skill +0 check, semi auto was a +10, and full auto was a +20. Semi and full auto gave you more hits depending on your degrees of success, but full auto it was straight up easier to even hit the baseline of hitting.

This wasn't changed until Dark Crusade and Only War, where (iirc) they made single shot a +10, semi auto a +0, and full auto a -10. Making your single shot weapons were more likely to hit, and full auto was a risk reward proposition because it was harder to hit, but when you did you could track up a bunch of extra hits from rate of fire.

Fantasy Flight games was a land of contrasts.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I just got a PS5 and have been looking at picking this up when it comes out. Having never played one of the other Owlcat crpgs, how is the console experience expected to be? For closest comparison I found Divinity II a little hard to stomach on console for controls, but I'm also psyched to play a Rogue Trader game in general.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

It doesn't help that the rules straight up worked inconsistently from what you would expect depending on which 40k rpg splat you were using.

In Dark Heresy 1st edition and rogue trader, when you go to fire a gun you choose if you are firing single shot, semi auto burst, or full auto burst. You would think the single shot would be the most accurate and you'd be loving wrong. Single shot was a ballistic skill +0 check, semi auto was a +10, and full auto was a +20. Semi and full auto gave you more hits depending on your degrees of success, but full auto it was straight up easier to even hit the baseline of hitting.

This wasn't changed until Dark Crusade and Only War, where (iirc) they made single shot a +10, semi auto a +0, and full auto a -10. Making your single shot weapons were more likely to hit, and full auto was a risk reward proposition because it was harder to hit, but when you did you could track up a bunch of extra hits from rate of fire.

Fantasy Flight games was a land of contrasts.

I still love opening up the book and seeing "armourer is used for crafting weapons and armour" immediately followed by another box saying "tech use is used for crafting weapons and armour". Also "chem use is used for crafting drugs and medicines" (chem use is not a skill in this system) :allears:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Xun posted:

I still love opening up the book and seeing "armourer is used for crafting weapons and armour" immediately followed by another box saying "tech use is used for crafting weapons and armour". Also "chem use is used for crafting drugs and medicines" (chem use is not a skill in this system) :allears:

That last one was just some real life advice.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

From what I remember each option used more bullets, so full auto was easier to hit because of the large number of bullets being fired in the direction of the target, but the downside is that many of those bullets would miss so you're wasting ammo. However if I remember correctly the game was lethal enough that you'd probably still kill your targets before needing to reload and bullets weren't very expensive to buy, especially in rogue trader.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Further Reading posted:

From what I remember each option used more bullets, so full auto was easier to hit because of the large number of bullets being fired in the direction of the target, but the downside is that many of those bullets would miss so you're wasting ammo. However if I remember correctly the game was lethal enough that you'd probably still kill your targets before needing to reload and bullets weren't very expensive to buy, especially in rogue trader.

It was a harder choice in Dark Heresy, because characters were generally very poor in the start.
In Rogue Trader it is assumed that you have infinite stock of ammo for your guns inside your ship and carry a reasonable amount of it with you.

Later FFG 40k rpgs changed the modifiers other way around, so that single shots were easier to hit and autofire hardest and my group used that system in Rogue Trader too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There are two great series of Rogue Trader LPs by grey hunter and cknoor. Cknoor's series ends with like 200 hours in the rule set and grey hunters' might have closer to a thousand by now.

They both frequently struggle with finding or interpreting rules in pen and paper RT at every stage in their playthroughs.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Issaries posted:

Later FFG 40k rpgs changed the modifiers other way around, so that single shots were easier to hit and autofire hardest and my group used that system in Rogue Trader too.

What was the advantage of using autofire with that system? Was it something like you can theoretically get multiple hits or something like that?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Further Reading posted:

What was the advantage of using autofire with that system? Was it something like you can theoretically get multiple hits or something like that?

Pretty much.
Autofire is still pretty good choice, if your character has great BS, but it isn't no brainer anymore.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Are there details on if we can pre-install the game or anything?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Syrnn posted:

I just got a PS5 and have been looking at picking this up when it comes out.

Oh man this is on console? It’s probably going to be great on Steam Deck then, nice.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Subjunctive posted:

Oh man this is on console? It’s probably going to be great on Steam Deck then, nice.

That’s my hope as well. Full controller support day 1 and the more streamlined UI/character building should go a long way to making it a great Deck game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I would wait a bit on a console copy, there's always some weirdness and when looking into some guides for Wrath I saw that there was a bug for the campaign mode that was fixed for the PC version but never fixed in the console version.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pentyne posted:

I would wait a bit on a console copy, there's always some weirdness and when looking into some guides for Wrath I saw that there was a bug for the campaign mode that was fixed for the PC version but never fixed in the console version.

Yeah I don’t want to play the console version, I just want a controller-friendly interface.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I love painting Warhammer 40K miniatures, but actually playing WH40K is intense as gently caress and really difficult to understand. There is so much to the rules.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you think that's bad try playing one of the FFG 40K RPGs with rules across two dozen different splatbooks in four slightly different systems.

Oh one of your players wants to hire an Ogryn bodyguard or a Mechanicum assassin? Check out these three books from these other games.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, the FFG books were a work in progress across all the game lines- sure they might have shared some mechanics and names, but on the whole you were supposed to play them all separately.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The game line as a whole started to solidify in Black Crusade and remained pretty consistent from its errata onward

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah black crusade/ only war ironed out a lot of the problems just in time to get canceled before they could do a rogue trader 2.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

New trailer for the next update https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkDe1mSDjtA

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Wrong 40k game thread

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just had a thought: every Eldar who willingly hangs out with a human crew are the space elf version of this person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0WatK9dNE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arglebargle III posted:

I just had a thought: every Eldar who willingly hangs out with a human crew are the space elf version of this person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0WatK9dNE

:hmmyes:

God, it's coming out right on the weekend next week and I swear I'm starting to hallucinate :v: