Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Seems like merkelderpelfourchan telling me I'm never coming off the super duper secret blacklist is a blessing in disguise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

It's almost like delta had a good reason for *waves hand over the last 2 years*

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Sickening posted:

So the last few days of playing in the imperium has been quite of bit of fun casual racism with a mix of "i can't reply to any questions without being a massive dickbag at all times". Its been real.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sickening posted:

So the last few days of playing in the imperium has been quite of bit of fun casual racism with a mix of "i can't reply to any questions without being a massive dickbag at all times". Its been real.

Im shocked

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
protip: no one is going to look down on you if you stop playing eve

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

If you must play Eve do yourself a huge favor and find a group of people that make it less painful.

:honk:

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Sickening posted:

Its honestly 50/50 if i'm going to see a slur in local when I fly down to delve

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Lorem ipsum posted:

i have it on good authority that kind of thing is not allowed in the swarm of goons

ClCADA
Nov 16, 2023

Sickening posted:

Goons have good HR routes for racism these days. You can always escalate it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I won EVE shortly after WWB ended, and completely lost track of it since then...decided to check in today, and INIT left the Imperium? The Mittani's been ousted?? GSF and even GEWNS no longer associated with Something Awful???

Apparently there was an ugly situation and everything went to poo poo. It kind of bums me out, but I guess it can't be helped. I'll still say: Delta Sqad forever, and W6V will always be my spiritual home.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

ClCADA posted:

Goons have good HR routes for racism these days. You can always escalate it.

Okay but- Geese are virulently anti-racism and have fun playing Eve.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Phlegmish posted:

I won EVE shortly after WWB ended, and completely lost track of it since then...decided to check in today, and INIT left the Imperium? The Mittani's been ousted?? GSF and even GEWNS no longer associated with Something Awful???

Mittani's hella' gone and also permabanned here. See below for how Goonfleet is doing post-mittani. Delta's still posting (about a lot of game besides eve now) and we now have another SA group not doing sov warfare called Goosefleet (no relation to GSF, we gently caress around in stain and holes).

andromache posted:

After Mittens resigned last summer, Goonwaffe was an autonomous collective for three or four months. Some people wanted their tribe to have a leader however, and one of the aspirants to the job wanted to require paps.

I awoke from my slumber, yelled hell no, and seized the reins of (functional) power. That was in October of last year. After that I put in some fairly standard “if you cause me headaches I’ll yeet you into the sun” social policies, while returning waffe double srp, a free myrm/ishtar/mining barge replacement per month, mid-grade amulet replacement, and a cap cache of about 24 ships any goon could borrow.

People could join from SA or from a vouch from an active member. After 90 days vouches could apply for naturalization and vouch others. We still got 3-5 SA ppl per month but got a lot more from vouches. Since waffe leadership is just me and I operate in a strict “won’t start none there won’t be none” philosophy, I started getting a lot of applicants from other corps who were sick of middle management bullshit.

Our discord is a pretty happy place with a mix of old and new peeps and very little drama, other than when Jay Derkin swallowed the whole rear end SA bait on this forum and got perma banned. Anyway our liberal vouch policy earned the ire of a bunch of pubbie corps who blamed all our free stuff instead of their constant loving with people for why they were losing members.

So now we pay taxes, pay for our own moons, and cover our own bonus SRP, yet still are isk positive and grow more members because being chill unto each other is actually the secret sauce. Last Tuesday, jay amazingness, who started in the coalition as a literal 14yr old kid, and grew up in the coalition over the past 10-12 yrs flipped, removed market and clone services on the 1dq1 keep star and stole several trillion in alliance assets.

He also had full director in goonwaffe for “reasons” and cleaned us out to the tune of about 250 bil. I organized a donation drive in return for Jay hosed Me medals in order to reimburse amulets and nirvanas and at the time of this writing have gotten about 150bil in isk, 200 bil in caps, and another 50-60 bil in saleable goods. Turns out goons are still generous and take care of each other. I think at this point everyone who has asked for Implants has gotten them back, and we are diving feet first into angel fw.

And it’s all been credit to the members. Only thing I can claim is being around long enough to have seen it all before and take good ideas from my people when they have them. If you want to enjoy null or angel fw goonwaffe is in a good place now. Goosefleet is also having a lot of fun in stain too. Whichever style you looking for. I will say that while Goonwaffe is a large corp in the alliance with a lot of illum representation, we aren’t necessarily the center of gravity for the alliance, so you do have to, on occasion, deal with dumbassery from other corps in the alliance. If that’s going to be a hardship, I’d wholeheartedly recommend Goosefleet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Huh. It's very strange to contemplate a GSF not headed by the Mittani. I started playing EVE in 2020, so he's all I've ever known. The man was a good leader in the sense that he undeniably had charisma and was an excellent public speaker, but I guess that's the sort of person that will often have skeletons in their closet.

Anyway, I mostly just wanted to verify if GoonWaffe and GSF were still on the up-and-up and going strong. Relieved to hear that that's the case. I have no plans to lose EVE in the near future, but I'll be there as soon as that Horn of Goondor gets blown again.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
what horn bro, goonswarm is dead. its been hijacked by pubbies as if reddit were a jewel wasp

ClCADA
Nov 16, 2023

Mr. Grinch posted:

what horn bro, goonswarm is dead. its been hijacked by pubbies as if reddit were a jewel wasp

Naahhh, Goonswarm is alive. I think it’s in a good place

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Hey can you google Goatse so I don’t get probated again, but you still have to look at Goatse

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i will greet it warmly, as an old friend

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Huh. It's very strange to contemplate a GSF not headed by the Mittani. I started playing EVE in 2020, so he's all I've ever known. The man was a good leader in the sense that he undeniably had charisma and was an excellent public speaker, but I guess that's the sort of person that will often have skeletons in their closet.

Anyway, I mostly just wanted to verify if GoonWaffe and GSF were still on the up-and-up and going strong. Relieved to hear that that's the case. I have no plans to lose EVE in the near future, but I'll be there as soon as that Horn of Goondor gets blown again.

we won, my dude

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

What happened to that most awesome human being and his 20+ alts that every single fappin day was logging in all his alts 1 min after dt and light up his cyno chain all over our Keepstars and let everyone use his fleet?

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022

Sickening posted:

Lorem ipsum posted:

Please post receipts so that I can at least have the pleasure of causing problems for them, their corps, and more

ClCADA posted:

Naahhh, Goonswarm is alive. I think it’s in a good place

i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're new here and that's why your posting is terrible and why your outlook on alliance / coalition politics comes across as incredibly naive -

a lot of pubbies have tried to scrub everything "goony" from the alliance and coalition, and for the most part they've succeeded - there's like a dozen goons left in GSF, and a lot of people think they are goons despite never regging here and get REAL mad about it when you tell them they're just pubbies Which they loving are. They want the imagery of being a 'goon' while wanting nothing to do with actually being goons. Which is dumb already because all a goon is, is someone who is registered on this dumb dead comedy website. Yet somehow there is still a certain je ne se quois that goons have, maybe it's the weird smells, maybe it's the neurodivergence, maybe it's the integrity? That a lot of goons on average could be called a 'real one'? But having those people around makes things difficult for people who aren't worth a loving thing.

It's why during the delta posting event so many got banned for saying poo poo was not acceptable. Because to these pubbies simply saying something like "sexual harassment bad :)" is the same as actually doing something. To them the status quo is Fine and Dandy, like pigs they only get mad when their meal is interrupted. Any distraction from their own pleasure is unacceptable. Anything to get back to it as fast as possible is permissible, blacklist the women if you can get away with it, blacklist anyone who complains. Never accept responsibility, things all happen in a vacuum after all. Never correct past mistakes. Never reiterate or relitigate anything to make corrections. Some guy is threatening to take some space pixels unless it's dealt with? Demand the pixels back because it's what's actually important, blacklist him, and ban anything resembling investments or multi-party loans. Never apologize, never admit wrongdoing. Make them ask to come back or keep them permanently blacklisted. Disband their group on services wherever possible. Don't blacklist anyone if it would be inconvenient.

When you fill an organization with pubbies who are worth nothing beyond words, or are god forbid, part of the problem - it decays the org, through stagnation, nepotism, and by driving away everyone who actually cares about it improving (whether it be through active mistreatment, or through frustration). It's why we've hemorrhaged almost every FC we had in beitnam either to hostile orgs or they've left the game entirely. It's why delta is mostly still blacklisted and why helldump isn't coming back. It's why none of the dipshits who acted terribly during the event have ever apologized for their terrible behaviour (and still have space jobs). It's why the FCs we have now are terminally nullbrained and don't get spoken to for loading tremor into battleships and shooting into the hostiles resist profile (If the argument is that it was the best option for that situation, you've already hosed up repeatedly to get into this situation). It's why we only half rear end commit to being an actual loving coalition and why communications are so siloed. It's why people are so buttblasted about Jay and talk about physically hurting him out of game over space pixels. Its why self diagnosed space important people get so rear end blasted over people looting t1 fighters and shitfit vexors.

The culture of 'goons' on the whole is dead in GSF. You can still see glimpses of it in Waffe sometimes but that's really not on the same scale. If the org of today was in the same situation it was in even just during Beitnam we likely would've been evicted from the southeast (although it is hard to say given that hostiles blundered every single thing at every single stage of doing anything at all)

tl;dr everyone wants to be a goon until it's time to be a Goon, they want the name on the door and the clout that comes with being regged on this dead comedy site but nothing to do with what it means or any of the social / community responsibility it comes with

DrHammond posted:

This is true and good, but the response to racism needs to be eradicate it everywhere, not to simply go where it isn't

Dalmuti posted:

protip: no one is going to look down on you if you stop playing eve

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Was at a party recently and, as things obviously very normally and commonly do at parties, conversation turned to EVE. Hearsay from others is that EVE Goons for the most part completely severed with SA because "SA has gone woke".

Not sure the details on that but it certainly lines up with some things I've seen posted here, and with a poo poo ton of awkward memories I have from my time playing. EVE Goon Culture was always a time capsule of reactionary SA forums trash stuck in the year 2007.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

You can sift through the mittani resignation thread on the GSF forums and 85% of the posts were accusing delta sqad of being woke sjws trying to get him cancelled. And funnily enough, most of them are from Karmafleet, a corp for pubbies and ran by pubbies

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psilocybin laden posted:

This is true and good, but the response to racism needs to be eradicate it everywhere, not to simply go where it isn't

Last week we found one of our minority pubbie membercorps had some extremely suspect join dates and names that were references to racially and gender intolerant warlords. We purged that whole corp and sent them packing off to the nearest shitter alliance that would take them. They're now farm on sight.

Join Goosefleet. We're goons, we play EVE, and we crack down on racist and fascist pieces of poo poo on sight.

ClCADA
Nov 16, 2023

psilocybin laden posted:

Please post receipts so that I can at least have the pleasure of causing problems for them, their corps, and more

i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're new here and that's why your posting is terrible and why your outlook on alliance / coalition politics comes across as incredibly naive -

a lot of pubbies have tried to scrub everything "goony" from the alliance and coalition, and for the most part they've succeeded - there's like a dozen goons left in GSF, and a lot of people think they are goons despite never regging here and get REAL mad about it when you tell them they're just pubbies Which they loving are. They want the imagery of being a 'goon' while wanting nothing to do with actually being goons. Which is dumb already because all a goon is, is someone who is registered on this dumb dead comedy website. Yet somehow there is still a certain je ne se quois that goons have, maybe it's the weird smells, maybe it's the neurodivergence, maybe it's the integrity? That a lot of goons on average could be called a 'real one'? But having those people around makes things difficult for people who aren't worth a loving thing.

It's why during the delta posting event so many got banned for saying poo poo was not acceptable. Because to these pubbies simply saying something like "sexual harassment bad :)" is the same as actually doing something. To them the status quo is Fine and Dandy, like pigs they only get mad when their meal is interrupted. Any distraction from their own pleasure is unacceptable. Anything to get back to it as fast as possible is permissible, blacklist the women if you can get away with it, blacklist anyone who complains. Never accept responsibility, things all happen in a vacuum after all. Never correct past mistakes. Never reiterate or relitigate anything to make corrections. Some guy is threatening to take some space pixels unless it's dealt with? Demand the pixels back because it's what's actually important, blacklist him, and ban anything resembling investments or multi-party loans. Never apologize, never admit wrongdoing. Make them ask to come back or keep them permanently blacklisted. Disband their group on services wherever possible. Don't blacklist anyone if it would be inconvenient.

When you fill an organization with pubbies who are worth nothing beyond words, or are god forbid, part of the problem - it decays the org, through stagnation, nepotism, and by driving away everyone who actually cares about it improving (whether it be through active mistreatment, or through frustration). It's why we've hemorrhaged almost every FC we had in beitnam either to hostile orgs or they've left the game entirely. It's why delta is mostly still blacklisted and why helldump isn't coming back. It's why none of the dipshits who acted terribly during the event have ever apologized for their terrible behaviour (and still have space jobs). It's why the FCs we have now are terminally nullbrained and don't get spoken to for loading tremor into battleships and shooting into the hostiles resist profile (If the argument is that it was the best option for that situation, you've already hosed up repeatedly to get into this situation). It's why we only half rear end commit to being an actual loving coalition and why communications are so siloed. It's why people are so buttblasted about Jay and talk about physically hurting him out of game over space pixels. Its why self diagnosed space important people get so rear end blasted over people looting t1 fighters and shitfit vexors.

The culture of 'goons' on the whole is dead in GSF. You can still see glimpses of it in Waffe sometimes but that's really not on the same scale. If the org of today was in the same situation it was in even just during Beitnam we likely would've been evicted from the southeast (although it is hard to say given that hostiles blundered every single thing at every single stage of doing anything at all)

tl;dr everyone wants to be a goon until it's time to be a Goon, they want the name on the door and the clout that comes with being regged on this dead comedy site but nothing to do with what it means or any of the social / community responsibility it comes with

Honestly you don’t need to respond to me or my opinion my opinion doesn’t mean poo poo, I’m only here because I forgot my old email and log in from a loving decade ago and found this forum and thought I’d stay for a bit. Il probably last here long enough before someone reports my lovely posting again.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

psilocybin laden posted:

Hey I'm with you in principal but from what I see and hear it doesn't seem like Imperium nor Goonwaffe have any interest in any kind of actual cultural revolution. If you've got a plan to Mao Zedong that bitch I wish you good luck and godspeed, but from where I'm sitting seems like anyone decent left in there would be better off leaving the pubs to pub and finding a group that's already implemented the change they want to be. I know you're not CICADA but that the line member response is "Oh we have a HR process for that" seems to say a lot.

E: Honestly I'm not sure how you form any kind of gaming guild the size of a nullblock and don't end up with a bunch of capital-g Gamers. I'm just happy there's a small group of tightknit like-minded's still honking in this dead gay spaceship game. Nullblock life and all its attendant... problems... just ain't what I want to be doing nowadays.

DrHammond fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 2, 2023

Tacticool Owl
Jul 16, 2022

DrHammond posted:

Alright, that's it, I'm loving doing it, I'm going to join the Goosecord.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if you aren't a shitter goosefleet takes all goons wanting a new hilarious home in EVE

Not An Arsonist
May 5, 2014

It was on fire when I got here

froody guy posted:

What happened to that most awesome human being and his 20+ alts that every single fappin day was logging in all his alts 1 min after dt and light up his cyno chain all over our Keepstars and let everyone use his fleet?

You speak of the legendary HypnoToad. There may be more to it, but to my understanding they kept at it until cyno mechanics changed. Gone are the days where you could strap a basic cyno to a cheap industrial and keep the beacons lit for hours on end. Nowadays you require a recon ship to light such a cyno, which is a much larger investment per inevitable loss. After this change took effect, it became understandably more challenging to keep such a fleet of 20+ recon ships with cynos lit and safe without going broke in the process. And so they retired.

They are still around and active. And though i'm not certain if they are still responsible, there remains a safe cyno fleet for the 1DQ1-A home keepstar, with the citadel itself donated by, dedicated to, and kept in memory of HypnoToad and their cyno fleet.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ClCADA posted:

Honestly you don’t need to respond to me or my opinion my opinion doesn’t mean poo poo, I’m only here because I forgot my old email and log in from a loving decade ago and found this forum and thought I’d stay for a bit. Il probably last here long enough before someone reports my lovely posting again.

lurk more

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

those "cultural revolutions" were a lie, weren't they?

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

They tackled the very easy low-hanging fruit. When I first joined goonswarm every wing of a fleet had a different slur for its name. Nigfleet, chinkfleet, spicfleet etc. After a fleet, the subject of the op thread would be edited to a Rape or a Welp. All of that kind of behavior could be found up until ‘11 or ‘12? The first cultural revolution tackled a lot of just casual racism and misogyny in the forums. Additional ones later on tackled mumble chat and jabber and cleaned up Jewing as a term. It’s really not common anymore to just get slapped in the face with the kind of overt stuff that was everywhere when I joined.

There’s also a lot less of the “a girl? On the internet??” dumb loving poo poo that was everywhere. It’s clearly a better place than it was. Stuff does get shut down when it’s reported. I’ve ejected two people from goonwaffe over the past year for some doozies, while had to have a few “you can’t say that anymore grandpa” conversations with others.

By no means is it perfect, especially when you are looking at 10,000 humans in the Imperium from around the world. But it is better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

“The racists and transphobes in our ranks are quiet about it now”

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

that would be a "yes, they were" then

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022

DrHammond posted:

Hey I'm with you in principal but from what I see and hear it doesn't seem like Imperium nor Goonwaffe have any interest in any kind of actual cultural revolution. If you've got a plan to Mao Zedong that bitch I wish you good luck and godspeed, but from where I'm sitting seems like anyone decent left in there would be better off leaving the pubs to pub and finding a group that's already implemented the change they want to be. I know you're not CICADA but that the line member response is "Oh we have a HR process for that" seems to say a lot.

E: Honestly I'm not sure how you form any kind of gaming guild the size of a nullblock and don't end up with a bunch of capital-g Gamers. I'm just happy there's a small group of tightknit like-minded's still honking in this dead gay spaceship game. Nullblock life and all its attendant... problems... just ain't what I want to be doing nowadays.

Imperium as a whole, not at all, goonwaffe? You'd be very surprised. it's strange how even just a few actual goons make such a world of difference. And individually anyone wanting better would be better off going to where it already is better, but if I can spend the next five to ten years in GSF to eventually make every chud ragequit EVE (or at least the alliance) while crying that GSF has "gone woke" etc, well that warms my heart

If I can mao zedong this whole thing the line response will be "get rid of them"

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022

That Works posted:

“The racists and transphobes in our ranks are quiet about it now”

They are, but they have real issues keeping their mouths shut for extended periods due to the fact that are just literal garbage - and then because I am a Dangerous Schismatic I make sure they Go Away

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I mean, the big CFC Cultural Revolution did at least put an end to the practice of naming secondary, tertiary etc fleets <slur>fleet, which... Isn't nothing but is also a catastrophically low bar!

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.
Goonwaffe itself is 300ish people, broken into 3 populations. The first 40% or so are people who came into the corp from SA. Ya’ll can argue about how j4g or true goon or whatever but they met minimum requirements to come from SA into waffe. Another 20% are refugees that we’ve accumulated over the past 15 years of eve. Example: person I’d never talked to had a structure going abandoned. Dug into who this person was, they are a refugee from BAT Country from when Endie schismed in 2015. They’ve been in corp quietly handling their poo poo since then. TCF, Red Alliance, Wildly Inappropriate… there’s a significant number of rehomed refugees that we try to draw into engagement. The last 40% are people we’ve vouched into waffe because they are trying to escape the middle management hellscape they were in. Honestly they tend to cause the least problems and give ideas for other things to try. Didn’t enter my brain to set up corp bpos for anyone in corp with the role to copy from. Several returning SA members are just like “look at all this stuff! We’ve never had any of these programs before!” Not my ideas, just listen and implement the feasible ones.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
poo poo, Endie was 2015?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

psilocybin laden posted:

great post

this dumb gay website has a horrific and checkered past; we now in our older age understand the importance of speaking up quickly and firmly for what's right, especially when it's important