Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

We all think the same as Madeley when we get wronged. We just don't have the opportunity to go on telly the next day and yell it, and also like get encouraged to think like even more killing them
I've supported the idea that we should all own a bunch more guns and grenade launchers as a result of being wronged, even though that's a pretty bad idea, but I've never supported the idea that some wig wearing government oval office should be able to go on a killing spree on my behalf just because I had a bad day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

I've supported the idea that we should all own a bunch more guns and grenade launchers as a result of being wronged, even though that's a pretty bad idea, but I've never supported the idea that some wig wearing government oval office should be able to go on a killing spree on my behalf just because I had a bad day.

I always wanted flashy eyes so if someone wronged me, I could flash my eyes at them and they would just disappear in a puff of smoke never to be seen again. In minecraft, obviously.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
After two pages, I think we can all agree on the basic ethical principle that crimes should be forgiven if the circumstances are funny enough and the victims are unsympathetic enough.

It's like when Jonathan Franzen got his glasses stolen at a book launch, or when Bart got Milhouse placed on America's Most Wanted and he had to jump off a dam, or when Peter Marsh became a beloved Come Dine With Me meme even though Jane did actually start the beef between them without provocation.

Or what happened to Meredith in the Parent Trap. Those twins should have been arrested, dammit

grobbo fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 2, 2023

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

kingturnip posted:

Earlier this year, I was knocked off my bike by a driver who was 100% in the wrong. But I didn't notify the police because despite it being the van driver's fault, where's the benefit in the driver experiencing hardship for something that very much seemed to be a complete accident?

Surely if it was a complete accident he can't have been in the wrong? Did he at least pay for any damage? I hope the driver reflected on what he did so he won't repeat the incident with a worse outcome in the future.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

grobbo posted:

After two pages, I think we can all agree on the basic ethical principle that crimes should be forgiven if the circumstances are funny enough and the victims are unsympathetic enough.

It's like when Jonathan Franzen got his glasses stolen at a book launch, or when Bart got Milhouse placed on America's Most Wanted and he had to jump off a dam, or when Peter Marsh became a beloved Come Dine With Me meme even though Jane did actually start the beef between them without provocation.

Or what happened to Meredith in the Parent Trap. Those twins should have been arrested, dammit

Tried in the court of public opinion, the verdict is lol and the sentence is lmao.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Madeley should have been hanged when he nicked all that booze from Tescos

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lt. Danger posted:

I don't think we should kill people for doing crimes but I also think we can extend a little grace to people who have been victims of crimes expressing anger and upset

having anything stolen from you is not simply a minor inconvenience, let alone something with personal info like a phone. jesus christ thread

But basically everyone has said that some degree of anger and a desire for revenge is understandable? This whole thread since then has been people relating their own experiences as victims of crime and our anger that resulted. Not many people would be bothered if Madeley had said "Wish I could give him a punch in the face" because yeah that's understandable, human, and though not productive also not grossly disproportionate. It's just that going to Death Sentence for a theft is a bit much (consider that the archetypal Ultra-Hardline Uncivilized Hellhole answer to theft is amputation of the offending hand! The exaggerated caricature of foreign barbarity falls well short of the death sentence!) and if you're a public figure you should maybe account for that and attain a little mastery over your feelings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I frequently wish for bad drivers in posh cars who cut me up to be involved in a crash that kills them and only them. That's called road rage, I don't mean it and you shouldn't listen to me when I say it.

The real solution is guillotine for all posh car drivers an impartial justice system that focuses on harm reduction and rehabilitation while providing emotional support for the victim
Proportional fines would be pretty good too

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If you're getting frequently cut up by other drivers it sounds like you might be the problem. Like I don't get frequently cut up?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Was there ever any follow up to that SUV driver who plowed into several small children who were having a picnic on the grass?

That was an appalling enough incident that I would have expected the "bring back the firing squad" people to be all over it, or more productively some laws against driving giant urban tanks around school zones, but it just seemed to disappear off of the news radar.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Was there ever any follow up to that SUV driver who plowed into several small children who were having a picnic on the grass?

That was an appalling enough incident that I would have expected the "bring back the firing squad" people to be all over it, or more productively some laws against driving giant urban tanks around school zones, but it just seemed to disappear off of the news radar.

She's been bailed until january. And blaming SUVs is dumb, its just as ridiculous as blaming women drivers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not up to speed on my very basic biology but I don't think women drivers have blind spots larger than small children.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i dont think blind spots are hugely relevant to the case in question.

edit. lol infact the car in question, the new defender has zero blindspots. It has a top down 3d camera view. It can literally see underneath itself.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 2, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not up to speed on my very basic biology but I don't think women drivers have blind spots larger than small children.

That graphic is so daft. Sorry, but that is desperate. The terrible craze of children crouching in front of parked cars in a mist of blood.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
That red zone in the pic above is the blood mist you get when you hit a kid.
So if you want to mist a kid its best in a Cadillac.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tesseraction posted:

If you think petty theft deserves hanging that's more a you thing I'm afraid. I've been mugged and my worst desire was that they get a longer sentence.

lol yeah

i'd be surprised to see "actually i think that too" responses were it not from the usual suspect

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

I often think that most people work that way, to be honest.

man i would love to see you post something even mildly upbeat, even just one time

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I was (attempted) mugged when I was walking up to my front door when I was 13 and returning home from playing tennis with a friend. Girl and like 3 guys tried to jump me and started punching me in the head saying "give me your loving wallet or I'll loving kill you"

I was 13 and was more worried about my tennis racket and I didn't even have a wallet. I fell through my front door where my entire family was sitting and I remember everyone yelling up the street. My mum called the police who literally found them 30 minutes later.

I then had to go to an ID parade, to court and all sorts which was far more traumatic being sneered at by a lawyer telling me must have been mistaken.

I then got 100 quid and then someone mysteriously smashed our houses windows and for a few years lit cigarettes kept getting pushed through our letter box.

I did get an A* in gcse d&t for designing and building an aluminum inside letter box cover that would catch cigarettes and random chips that people kept shoving through our door, but let mail through.

Until someone shoved a copy of my mum's telegraph through it so hard it bent and ripped it off the door.

Not sure what the moral is. Don't have Tory parents that ring the cops? It's not worth it and doesn't actually help anyone.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 2, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

man i would love to see you post something even mildly upbeat, even just one time

I would like to be able to feel it so that I can, but that doesn't seem to be on the cards.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

Not sure what the moral is. Don't have Tory parents that ring the cops? It's not worth it and doesn't actually help anyone.
The moral is the “no half measures” speech from Breaking Bad; if that lad had been hanging from a gibbet outside your house slowly dying for a week, and then you’d put his head up on a spike in the garden, I reckon you’d have had fewer lit cigarettes through the letterbox.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I always wanted flashy eyes so if someone wronged me, I could flash my eyes at them and they would just disappear in a puff of smoke never to be seen again. In minecraft, obviously.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
can someone please think of the real marginalised groups in this country that face real threats to life, tesla owners and landlords

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Constantly being threatened by large dogs, small boats, and electric scooters around every corner.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think saying they should bring back hanging in a private moment of anger to a friend or your family is fine, but there’s a difference between that and on national telly. I’ve definitely said worse things about people who’ve wronged me but again, I probably wouldn’t post that on my LinkedIn or whatever.

E: I think you’re all just upset that NJAN might not invite you to his house warming party

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I guess the only things that make me think that is animal cruelty. It's something that has a deep emotional connection and totally can make your brain go off the deep end. Same with family I guess.

To get that way over a wallet though...

Hang on does that mean people like Richard Madeley have a deep and emotional connection to their money...

Ohhhhhhhhhh

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Guavanaut posted:

Looking forward to UK cars getting larger so automakers have more markets for stupidly large vehicles, even though they are totally unsuitable for 90% of UK roads/car parks.

Maybe we can get a law like this on the books too:

quote:

Cities have built so much parking through a policy few people know: minimum parking requirements. Cities don’t just require parking spaces for nearly every office, mall, store, movie theater, bowling alley, restaurant and other building, those requirements often include a certain number of spots for every building.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/20/business/parking-minimums-cars-transportation-urban-planning/index.html

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Most people expect corporal/capital punishment to be a service that the state provides, like having your bins collected. I wonder whether it would have the same support if all the state infrastructure was withdrawn. Would they still believe in "an eye for an eye" if they were just given a court date and a leaflet on enucleation and told to get on with it? A lot of people I know would balk at jointing a chicken

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone got a duduk?

Thinking of buying one to try (only a cheapy one because I'll probably play it twice & then never look at it again source: I know me). I miss my piano but absolutely no room for one here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaLhSrdHCBs

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

domhal posted:

Looking forward to UK cars getting larger so automakers have more markets for stupidly large vehicles, even though they are totally unsuitable for 90% of UK roads/car parks.

The largest uk vehicle on that graphic is the bmw x5. It is 64mm longer than a ford mondeo and actually 28mm shorter than a standard 5 series saloon.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wachter posted:

Most people expect corporal/capital punishment to be a service that the state provides, like having your bins collected. I wonder whether it would have the same support if all the state infrastructure was withdrawn. Would they still believe in "an eye for an eye" if they were just given a court date and a leaflet on enucleation and told to get on with it? A lot of people I know would balk at jointing a chicken

There are plenty of people who'd like to be able to beat their children senseless for a range of very minor misbehaviours.
For things like enucleation, I expect you'd end up with some sort of barter economy where the people who get squeamish at the very idea of it could pay the Nigel Farage's of the world to do it for them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

Most people expect corporal/capital punishment to be a service that the state provides, like having your bins collected.
The pro hanging types also tend to have a lot of opinions about bins.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'd crawl over broken glass to vote for a National Domintrix Service, phwoar

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The national dominatrix service is means tested so if you're willing to crawl over broken glass by yourself you don't need a dominatrix.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's always a chance that's what the Dom Cummings Party will propose.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That graphic is so daft. Sorry, but that is desperate. The terrible craze of children crouching in front of parked cars in a mist of blood.
yeah SUVs are great. The problem is everyone else trying to get intentionally cut up by them, and stupid children on sidewalks where the SUVs are trying to go. Honestly, I think a lot of it comes down to anti-landlord sentiment.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

happyhippy posted:

That red zone in the pic above is the blood mist you get when you hit a kid.
So if you want to mist a kid its best in a Cadillac.

I have one of those whirly blade things that you get on combine harvesters on the front of my car, so I can plough through as many small children as I like without denting my bonnet.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

The pro hanging types also tend to have a lot of opinions about bins.

Due to ongoing austerity measures, your bins will now be emptied by the hangman

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

cat botherer posted:

yeah SUVs are great. The problem is everyone else trying to get intentionally cut up by them, and stupid children on sidewalks where the SUVs are trying to go. Honestly, I think a lot of it comes down to anti-landlord sentiment.

Wtf is a sidewalk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Wtf is a sidewalk?
pavement