Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

Due to ongoing austerity measures, your bins will now be emptied by the hangman
Capital punishment for people who put wrong things in the recycle bins would lead to a lot of very confused noises from the commentariat.

"Constantly calling for the death penalty is woke, like Hitler" writes Peter Hitchens in a confused daze while hiding from a traffic light.

e: Pairs of prime numbers that differ from each other by 6 are called sexy primes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Ruth Perry's family have been denied Legal Aid so if you would like to / are in a position to support here is the gofundme. (I haven't put my personalized link because I don't know if that would doxx me).

https://www.gofundme.com/f/fund-familys-legal-costs-for-ruth-perry-inquest

quote:

Just days before the start of the inquest into the death of Ruth Perry – the Reading primary headteacher who took her own life following an Ofsted inspection of her school – her family have learnt that their application for Legal Aid to fund their legal representation has been rejected.

The other ‘interested parties’ in the Ruth Perry inquest are OFSTED, Reading Borough Council and Berkshire Healthcare NHS Trust – all of which, as public bodies, will de facto have their legal costs paid from the public purse. While the bereaved family will receive no financial support, OFSTED have been instructed by the Coroner to bring no more than five members of their legal team to the inquest. We believe this legal and financial inequity to be unjust.

We are launching this crowdfunding campaign to fund the family’s legal advice for, and representation at, the inquest into Ruth’s death, to be held at Berkshire Coroners’ Court between 28 November and 7 December 2023.

The family hopes that the inquest will reveal the truth about the circumstances leading to Ruth’s death and the opportunities that were missed to prevent it. They hope that lessons can be learnt to prevent future such deaths from occurring.

Please donate to our crowdfunder if you feel the lack of legal aid for Ruth Perry’s family is unjust and inequitable, and if you wish to support their campaign for meaningful change in Ruth’s name. Even a small donation would make a big difference, both financially and as a sign of your collective moral support for Ruth’s family.

If we succeed in raising more money than is needed to cover the family’s legal costs or if alternative funding is obtained (e.g. via an appeal against the Legal Aid Agency’s decision or if an Article 2 inquest is engaged), all excess funds will be donated to Inquest: the only charity in the UK which supports people bereaved by state-related deaths to access truth, justice and accountability, and to contribute to systemic change (https://www.inquest.org.uk).

More OFSTED bullshit:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/dec/02/ofsted-misled-inquest-death-teacher-ruth-perry-training-claim

quote:

School inspectors have accused their employer, Ofsted, of misleading the court during last week’s inquest into the death of headteacher Ruth Perry, the Observer can reveal.

The Observer has spoken to five inspectors who were working for Ofsted when Perry’s primary school in Reading was inspected, all of whom said they received no training on detecting, managing or reducing stress or distress. A senior Ofsted insider also confirmed that no training was given on these issues at that time.

More distressing info in the article than I've quoted.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

e: Pairs of prime numbers that differ from each other by 6 are called sexy primes.

Maths nerds need to get out more

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Oh I don't know.. nothing like solving a really hard equation to ... TMI

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Once upon a time I was in a crowded shopping mall and someone accidentally bumped into me. sighing to myself at the inevitability to come, I drew my katana and they were promptly slain.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

The pro hanging types also tend to have a lot of opinions about bins.

IN AR DEY PROPUR BIN MEN AND AR DA WUD GIV US WE'S WEEKLY THRASHIN AFTER PUB OF A FRYDAY FOR ALLT THINGS WED DONE BAD HE HANT SEEN AND ARNT DUN US NO ARM

*tics uncontrollably, thumps side of head to make it stop*

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Once upon a time I was in a crowded shopping mall and someone accidentally bumped into me. sighing to myself at the inevitability to come, I drew my katana and they were promptly slain.

At least give that person your wakizashi:

Wikipedia posted:

A popular incident tells how a commoner bumped into Saiheiji Tomo, treasurer of the Owari-Tokugawa family, and ignored him further when Tomo demanded him to apologize. Feeling merciful, the samurai offered the peasant his wakizashi so he had a chance to defend himself, but instead, the commoner decided to run away with his wakizashi, causing further dishonor. The incident resulted in Tomo being disowned from the Owari-Tokugawa clan. He later regained his honor by seeking out the commoner, collecting the wakizashi and killing the whole family.[5]

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Guava's post just made me look up the wiki for sexy primes, and that contained a lot of fun links to other mathematics articles, and on top of that, baby it's cold outside :banjo:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
When I take over, I'll alay all your fears and solve all crime and such by implanting mini-explosives at the base of everyone's neck.
There will a free app where you can vote to trigger it at any time.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

happyhippy posted:

When I take over, I'll alay all your fears and solve all crime and such by implanting mini-explosives at the base of everyone's neck.

:f5:ing myself as soon as it goes live

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's never been a full on war between two nuclear armed powers, so logically mutually assured destruction must also work for solving interpersonal crime.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

There's never been a full on war between two nuclear armed powers, so logically mutually assured destruction must also work for solving interpersonal crime.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

crime is bad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6q_2zZXHMg

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

Capital punishment for people who put wrong things in the recycle bins would lead to a lot of very confused noises from the commentariat.

"Constantly calling for the death penalty is woke, like Hitler" writes Peter Hitchens in a confused daze while hiding from a traffic light.

Wikipedia says that the largest discovered pair of sexy primes is as follows

p = 11922002779 x (2^172486 - 2^86243) + 2^86245 - 5
p+6 = 11922002779 x (2^172486 - 2^86243) + 2^86245 + 1

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Something happened just after 4pm to all these networks:

For what it's worth EE and BT are the same company now so if one of them has issues the other probably will too (and BT is currently rebranding to EE for it's consumer stuff anyway)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
English Elecom

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

English Electric was already a thing and by complex lineage ended up as part of BAE Systems.

Although they already produced their own jet fighters so it wasn't that big of a leap.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

So it's the most wonderful time of the year again....

It's freezing outside.
Today's exercise consisted as far as possible of me pacing up and down inside heated tat emporia on the High Street without buying anything except a bottle of olive oil and some bog cleaner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Window shopping is nice IMO, it's like the other kind of shopping except you don't have to spend any money and you get 90% of the satisfaction you would get from most of the things on offer anyway.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Sounds like the torc from The Anome (they also travelled around by sort of zeppelins attached to rails but I digress)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anome

quote:

It tells the story of a boy growing to manhood in the land of Shant, a society composed of many different, and wildly individual cantons, some of which are run by cults. Each adult wears an explosive torc which can be detonated by remote command, bringing about instant death by decapitation. The torcs are controlled by an anonymous dictator, the Anome, whose identity is literally unknown. Because those whose heads are exploded are selected primarily by the cantonal leaders, for violations of local law, the Anome is able to operate with only a handful of assistants, or 'Benevolences', who themselves do not know his identity.

and didn't Battle Royale have something similar? I can't check because I gave the book away to a charity shop last year.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

English Electric was already a thing and by complex lineage ended up as part of BAE Systems.

Although they already produced their own jet fighters so it wasn't that big of a leap.
It always amuses me when companies have such a wide range of products like that.

Of course then Mitsubishi comes along like "hold my bank, air conditioner, nuclear reactor, camera optics, strategic bomber, bus, paper mill, steelworks, tractor, and American football team."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sounds like the torc from The Anome (they also travelled around by sort of zeppelins attached to rails but I digress)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anome

and didn't Battle Royale have something similar? I can't check because I gave the book away to a charity shop last year.

I wanna say it's how they forced the kids to fight each other and not try to escape instead.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
yeah they've got explosive collars in BR. The teacher detonates one right at the start

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

We all think the same as Madeley when we get wronged. We just don't have the opportunity to go on telly the next day and yell it, and also like get encouraged to think like even more killing them

Just digging this out again to say this is bullshit. I've gone through some pretty mad hit with random members of the public and i never came out the other side thinking they should be hung.

I definitely came out the other side with strong opinions about some of the police involved though.

Echoing other sentiments in this thread that there is a big difference between wanting to do some violence for a few moments vs using a significant national platform you have to call for the death penalty.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

people in this thread have called for my death on several occasions for having the wrong car or being a landlord.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/dahrinoor2/status/1730867970056822917?t=OKnYKyotU_N7VYDpcBZIPg&s=19

Throwing your entire life away to continue to post and be mad online, it's things like this that make me realise I'm only an amateur.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Joining the elite club with Laurence Fox and Graham Linehan and all the other men who could not stop being bigots at the dinner table.

"Could you pass the pepper please?" "Mussolini was a hero to his people and furthermore..."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah, same with the films Fortress and Wedlock.
Wedlock is a personal fave, Rutger Hauer cheesy

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

happyhippy posted:

New Black Mirror plot leaked.

Edit: that’s what I get for going to an old tab and not refreshing.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 2, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

E: I think you’re all just upset that NJAN might not invite you to his house warming party
It'll be a short party when he turns the heat pump on and it blows up from the lack of ventilation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
450g of compressed R290 deflagrating sounds like a quick way to warm a house.

A HVAC engineer recommended to me that multiple mini-split systems are a far better way to do heat pumps than having a single fridge-freezer sized external unit serving the whole house, you can have mini inverter-compressors for each zone, and have them heating, cooling, or dehumidifying based on each zone's needs. Only problem is getting hot water for the kitchen and bathroom.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It'll be a short party when he turns the heat pump on and it blows up from the lack of ventilation.

It will at least be very warm

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lovely review of Nadine’s unhinged banquet of bollocks

https://thecritic.co.uk/issues/december-january-2024/the-plot-thins/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Interesting that even a hateful rag like The Critic can't stomach her bullshit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I still can't believe that she called it The Plot, the title of a famous antifascist book by Will Eisner and Umberto Eco about one of the most notorious antisemitic frauds in history.

I would personally do a quick google to make sure that I wasn't treading on that kind of terrain because :yikes:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guess the technicality he failed on?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Either the drink, he didn't lick the plate clean, or a piece of food dropped on the ground that he didn't notice.
Or like that John Candy thing of not eating all the fat.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Owner Gary King, who opened the steakhouse seven years ago, has defended his team's decision to deny Dan his prize and charge him by simply declaring 'the challenge is to eat everything'.

However the restaurant's own most recent breakdown of what the challenge includes fails to mention any salad.

He admits he did feel sorry for the stuffed customer but claims he should have asked to swap the salad for more chips or onion rings before the challenge began, but he didn't.

Gary said: 'It's simple. It's a challenge and the challenge is to eat and clear everything, otherwise it wouldn't be a challenge.

'Had he said to us that he didn't want any salad then we'd have put a few more chips or onion rings on. He didn't say anything at the start or while he was eating it.

His exact words were 'I know it's stupid but I'm not going to eat that salad. Not even for £50 because I don't eat salad'.

'I felt sorry when I saw the pictures because if I'd have spoken to him beforehand then he may well have said he didn't want salad.

'Once it's on that table, that's it. there's no point in telling us afterwards because we're not going to strip the salad off and give him a bowl of chips and a bowl of onion rings, are we?’

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
.....I'm on the restaurant's side.
If its part of the challenge, it needs to be in your belly!