Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Strange Matter posted:

You can't stop me from making Montenegro Planes for my friends and calling them Paper Planes no matter how much hate you try to send my way.

The Maestro posted:

Montenegro is almost $15 cheaper also

More like Pauper Planes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
More amaretto and more Dr Pepper is always a good thing.

Try a Flaming Dr Pepper, which the Ptarmigan Club in Bryan, TX claims to have invented:

3/4 of a shot glass of amaretto, topped with Bacardi 151 (or an equally flammable rum) lit on fire and dropped into a beer.

They’re typically made in multiples, line up beer glasses side by side, 3/4 full of beer, set the shot glasses on the lips of two beer glasses, add the shot, light on fire and tap on shot so the rest domino into the beers. Everyone takes their drink and chug!

Edit: https://youtu.be/eYcnq2tt3nI?si=witWUauQoHzB2oUX

It does taste like a Dr Pepper.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Disaronno and dr pepper is good.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Dr. Pepper gives me vicious heartburn, so pass.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been thinking about the Zombie recently. Mainly, how awful it is. I've been wondering how to improve it while staying true to the spirit.

There are many recipes, but this is pretty close to the original

1.5 aged pot still rum
1.5 aged column still rum
1 151 dem rum
.5 falernum
2 dash ango
.75 lime
1 grapefruit
.5 cinnamon syrup
.25 grenadine
1 tsp absinthe

I think the OG recipe used less juice by about an ounce but the rest is pretty close. In any case, it's not a good tasting drink in this form. In part because grapefruit juice is nasty, in part because the balance of alcohol to sugar is a little more than 2:1. The only idea I have is to drop the grapefruit and sub pineapple. Anything else seems to change the drink too much. For instance swapping one of the syrups with passion fruit.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

The Maestro posted:

Montenegro is almost $15 cheaper also

Pauper Plane - poo poo beaten

I've made some boulevardiers with Averna instead of Campari and they're pretty tasty.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been thinking about the Zombie recently. Mainly, how awful it is. I've been wondering how to improve it while staying true to the spirit.

1.5 aged pot still rum
1 151 dem rum
.5 falernum
2 dash ango
.75 lime
1 grapefruit
.5 cinnamon syrup
.25 grenadine
1 tsp absinthe

I think the OG recipe used less juice by about an ounce but the rest is pretty close. In any case, it's not a good tasting drink in this form. In part because grapefruit juice is nasty, in part because the balance of alcohol to sugar is a little more than 2:1. The only idea I have is to drop the grapefruit and sub pineapple. Anything else seems to change the drink too much. For instance swapping one of the syrups with passion fruit.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree a bit. The Zombie shouldn't have grapefruit juice, instead the grapefruit and cinnamon are combined in a syrup called Don's Mix, which is then used in a much smaller amount than the total of 1.5oz of grapefruit juice and cinnamon syrup that you're using. This will reduce unnecessary liquid volume and remove a lot of the acid and bitterness that the grapefruit is adding.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

1.5 aged pot still rum
1 151 dem rum
.5 falernum
2 dash ango
.75 lime
1 grapefruit
.5 cinnamon syrup
.25 grenadine
1 tsp absinthe

You’re basically describing a 50s style zombie, which lean more into fruit than spice.

1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz fresh lemon juice
1 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
1 oz passion fruit syrup
1 oz light rum
1 oz gold Puerto Rican rum
1 oz 151-proof demerara rum
1 tsp brown sugar syrup
1 dash Angostura bitters

A lot more sugar, a lot more acid and a little bit less rum. I like them, but they’re not nearly as good as the 34, which you are unequivocally wrong about.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

prayer group posted:

I think you're barking up the wrong tree a bit. The Zombie shouldn't have grapefruit juice, instead the grapefruit and cinnamon are combined in a syrup called Don's Mix, which is then used in a much smaller amount than the total of 1.5oz of grapefruit juice and cinnamon syrup that you're using. This will reduce unnecessary liquid volume and remove a lot of the acid and bitterness that the grapefruit is adding.

Yeah, looking at the recipe it is 1/3 as much of the grapefruit/cinnamon in the same ratio.
1 dash ango
and 1/8 tsp of absinthe (pernod in the original)
and the same for grenadine

So an even greater alcohol > sugar ratio. Yikes.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Alucard posted:

Pauper Plane - poo poo beaten

I've made some boulevardiers with Averna instead of Campari and they're pretty tasty.

If you have Gran Classico consider that a swap instead of Averna? It’s that touch sweeter than Campari and the more prominent rhubarb note should integrate better with most whiskies you’d mix with.

Also I just found a place that stocks Nonino here and it turns out my wife likes it neat, so that’s gonna be a permanent add to the bar and I now have to get bottles for a house Paper Plane.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

tonedef131 posted:

You’re basically describing a 50s style zombie, which lean more into fruit than spice.

1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz fresh lemon juice
1 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
1 oz passion fruit syrup
1 oz light rum
1 oz gold Puerto Rican rum
1 oz 151-proof demerara rum
1 tsp brown sugar syrup
1 dash Angostura bitters

A lot more sugar, a lot more acid and a little bit less rum. I like them, but they’re not nearly as good as the 34, which you are unequivocally wrong about.

This is a really funny spec lol. What on earth is the single dash of ango gonna do up against three ounces of juice, an ounce of syrup and three ounces of rum?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
If Montenegro is cheaper Nonino and Aperol is cheaper Campari, what's Fernet Branca's equivalent?

(I drink enough Campari that it doesn't taste anything like Aperol, but that's the perception)

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
There’s R. Jelinek Fernet and Fernet-Vallet but they’re not quite Fernet Branca. And I’m not sure if the price is that different.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

If Montenegro is cheaper Nonino and Aperol is cheaper Campari, what's Fernet Branca's equivalent?

(I drink enough Campari that it doesn't taste anything like Aperol, but that's the perception)

And Monte doesn't taste like Nonino...but it'll do in a pinch.

There is no next-best Fernet Branca. It's just...its own thing. I can't really think of a lot of consumer package goods to relate it to.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Wait, Montenegro is $35 now? I thought it was way less than that. I don't think it's worth it, it doesn't taste very good

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I bought a bunch of mead the other day because I have very poor impulse control, and while I absolutely don't regret the purchase, rather than only drinking mead for the next few months I thought I might see how it goes in a cocktail.

I've used it in a boulevardier riff before, and am gonna try it out in place of Benedictine in a couple of drinks too.

But I got like six bottles, so if anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions, I'm willing to try out almost anything.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

More amaretto and more Dr Pepper is always a good thing.

Try a Flaming Dr Pepper, which the Ptarmigan Club in Bryan, TX claims to have invented:

3/4 of a shot glass of amaretto, topped with Bacardi 151 (or an equally flammable rum) lit on fire and dropped into a beer.

They’re typically made in multiples, line up beer glasses side by side, 3/4 full of beer, set the shot glasses on the lips of two beer glasses, add the shot, light on fire and tap on shot so the rest domino into the beers. Everyone takes their drink and chug!

Edit: https://youtu.be/eYcnq2tt3nI?si=witWUauQoHzB2oUX

It does taste like a Dr Pepper.
Wait, is Dr. Pepper secretly an amaretto soda?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Amaretto and beer soda!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

Wait, is Dr. Pepper secretly an amaretto soda?

Amaretto and cherry, yes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, looking at the recipe it is 1/3 as much of the grapefruit/cinnamon in the same ratio.
1 dash ango
and 1/8 tsp of absinthe (pernod in the original)
and the same for grenadine

So an even greater alcohol > sugar ratio. Yikes.

I use a Zombie as one of the standard drinks in my bar, and my spec is 2.5 Hamilton zombie blend, .5 falernum, 1 pineapple, .75 lime, .5 grapefruit, .25 grenadine, few dashes absinthe (usually 6-7 shakes from my dasher), top of overproof. It's supposed to be a boozy drink, with the spice and juice to balance out the power a bit.

Normally I double the recipe for guests so that it properly fills a giant tiki mug.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Normally I double the recipe for guests so that it properly fills a giant tiki mug.

That’s insane, please tell me you’re not regularly serving people 5 ounces of 118proof rum with an overproof float.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
There’s a reason zombies are “limit two (or one double, I guess) per customer.”

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Bandit posted:

That’s insane, please tell me you’re not regularly serving people 5 ounces of 118proof rum with an overproof float.

Sounds like a very good host.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No, I get that it's supposed to be strong. I just think it's a bad tasting drink. This seems to be common with many early tiki drinks. I think there should be a way of improving the taste without changing the drink too drastically. That's why I focused on the grapefruit. Sure, some people like it, but it's not a particularly good tasting fruit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Bandit posted:

Look, tiki is all about maximalism.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

No, I get that it's supposed to be strong. I just think it's a bad tasting drink. This seems to be common with many early tiki drinks. I think there should be a way of improving the taste without changing the drink too drastically. That's why I focused on the grapefruit. Sure, some people like it, but it's not a particularly good tasting fruit.

It's ok to like different things. There's a zillion drinks to choose from.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cptn_dr posted:

I bought a bunch of mead the other day because I have very poor impulse control, and while I absolutely don't regret the purchase, rather than only drinking mead for the next few months I thought I might see how it goes in a cocktail.

Threw a quarter of an ounce into a martini last night, riffing on a Poet's Martini, and that worked really nicely. Added a floral note that was distinct without being overpowering. So far, so good as a 1:1 replacement for Benedictine.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Focusing on 1oz of grapefruit juice out of a recipe that has 7 total oz of volume (4 of which is rum) seems misguided at best. Especially considering it’s already been noted that the juice is part of a spiced syrup mix and that the recipe you’re using isn’t quite correct.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Look, tiki is all about maximalism.

Personally I’m here for it, I just can’t imagine very many normal* humans are prepared for that.

*non-alcoholic, non-former service industry

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also I like the way grapefruit tastes, if you don't like grapefruit I understand why you might not like a drink that includes it?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I hate grapefruit, but i love a Paloma.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Palomas made me really enjoy neat tequila. It’s so good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Matt Zerella posted:

:same:

Not going to eat grapefruit by itself but I like using it in cocktails.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

A Frozen Paloma was my first cocktail. I still love Palomas. Best soda cocktail?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

TengenNewsEditor posted:

A Frozen Paloma was my first cocktail. I still love Palomas. Best soda cocktail?

For my money, it could be. I have been working up an article about American regional sodas and their prohibition-era wink and a nod towards not being mixers, and I'm delighted to say that the original formulation of Mountain Dew makes a great whiskey soda. There's one last semi-independent bottler in Western NC that still makes Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew with cane sugar, and it's not worth paying shipping necessarily but cool as hell if you're passing through Boone or Johnson City.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I had the sous vide running for something else so doubled up and made Kevin Kos' white creme de cacao. It's pretty nice! I used different white rum, Havana Club, but don't think that changes it much. I might use more vanilla next time, or maybe a fresher pod, but it delicious.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Speaking of which are there any good, classic cocktails using Creme de Cacao? I've tried a brandy alexander a couple ways and it always lets me down, what else can I do with this stuff?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
As far as classics go, you could make Grasshoppers, but they're also super heavy. Twentieth Century cocktails are also classic and lighter.

It plays well with whiskey, rum, and mezcal, so you could always try a dash or two in a manhattan, or a rum or mezcal old fashioned, that type of thing.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

bloody ghost titty posted:

For my money, it could be. I have been working up an article about American regional sodas and their prohibition-era wink and a nod towards not being mixers, and I'm delighted to say that the original formulation of Mountain Dew makes a great whiskey soda. There's one last semi-independent bottler in Western NC that still makes Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew with cane sugar, and it's not worth paying shipping necessarily but cool as hell if you're passing through Boone or Johnson City.

They're not doing throwback Mountain Dew anymore? I don't drink sugary soda anymore (I'll make an exception for a Dark and Stormy), but I remember the cane sugar making a huge difference in Dew that it didn't seem to in Mexican Coke and throwback Dr Pepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Qylvaran posted:

They're not doing throwback Mountain Dew anymore? I don't drink sugary soda anymore (I'll make an exception for a Dark and Stormy), but I remember the cane sugar making a huge difference in Dew that it didn't seem to in Mexican Coke and throwback Dr Pepper.

From what I can see on the internet, "real sugar" Dew is still available in places, but what I'm talking about is a real-deal contractual holdout from mid century indie soda bottlers that contracted for the ingredients/concentrates and mixed up the drink and bottled separate from big Pepsi. For God, Country, and Coca-Cola has a lot of good background on the consolidation of soda from regional concerns to a remora on the American Empire, but Pepsi diversified its holdings early, to mixed effect. For instance, Suntory (like the whiskey) is the major operator of PepsiCo bottling in East and South Asia, while these indie bottlers have retained their midcentury contracts by never folding or changing hands.