Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

and it makes sense because for Lovecraft, civilization -- doomed though it may be -- is the antithesis of everything the horrors represent

And by doomed Lovecraft meant "the Italians moving in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fuego Fish posted:

This is from literally months ago, but in my defence I've had a lot of poo poo going on and checking SA forum threads I'm already a hundred pages behind on is way, way down the list of priorities for me. Anyway, those drawings were by KC Green but they weren't for the D&D Next playtest, they were for my much earlier homebrew project called "Rats in the Basement" (wherein you play rats in a basement) and he drew 'em as a small favour to me. He's a real cool guy.

I'm about 90% sure this is all of them, but I'll keep digging around through my old folders just in case.
Thanks! I could have sworn it came out if the 36d20 rats debacle but that explains why I couldn't find them through search. They probably just got reposted a bunch when it came up.

I found them at the time on an old dying laptop and saved them to my new dying laptop so all psychological damage was resolved at time of incident. I was actually able to deduce the old imgur links from the filenames and all.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 29, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Traveller posted:

If the universe truly is uncaring and cold, then Great Cthulhu isn't really that much more important in the grand scale of things. People die all the time from stupid accidents and infections from bacteria and viruses that literally cannot be seen by the human eye because they're so small, why wouldn't a being that is at the end of the day a priest for the really big cheeses get turbofucked by a sailor and a steamship?

Aww gently caress my foot, who let the mice make metal ships while Iw as sleeping? Goddamn I'm late for work.

gently caress it, back to bed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Look, if I wake up to find that there's a mouse infestation in my apartment and those mice have developed metallurgy, the first thing I'm doing is calling off work

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Splicer posted:

Thanks! I could have sworn it came out if the 36d20 rats debacle but that explains why I couldn't find them through search. They probably just got reposted a bunch when it came up.

I found them at the time on an old dying laptop and saved them to my new dying laptop so all psychological damage was resolved at time of incident. I was actually able to deduce the old imgur links from the filenames and all.

Oh nice! I have always liked seeing your avatar around, gives me a sense of nostalgia.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So tonight as a between-campaigns palate cleanser, we tried out Monty Python's Co-curricular Mediaeval Reenactment Programme.

As far as comedy games go, it was pretty solid. We got through character generation and a short adventure.

Pluses -
* The GM/HoLE having a persona was very fun.
* Alternative Programming is one of my favorite moment-generators in RPGdom. (Basically - you pause the adventure and everyone starts a short improv routine of a completely different show, before returning to the game. We had a fun one with a mafia call-in.)
* The mechanics are thankfully light enough to be present but not intrusive.
* The random generator tables create suitably Python-esque situations. We had a livestock store where the proprietor kept all the animals in burlap sacks and you needed to pick blindly.
* Basically it's good at creating the "sane, serious people trying to make sense of a senseless situation" tone of the show and movies. It's good to set this up for your players too - they don't have to be wacky; the game itself will make it wacky enough for everyone.
* It's definitely not a campaign game.

Minuses -
* So much page flipping. I wished I had my physical copy already. I ended up having four copies of the pdf open at once. I had the adventure, whichever adversary they were facing, my persona, and a random table at one point.
* Maybe a few too many skills but I get it. It's for a purpose.
* While I found some kind of balance, having a GM character can get weird. Gotta clarify when you are speaking in your HoLE persona vs just doing normal GM stuff. It was a good thing but not for novices.
* It's definitely not a campaign game.

Overall - we're doing it again next week.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Look, if I wake up to find that there's a mouse infestation in my apartment and those mice have developed metallurgy, the first thing I'm doing is calling off work

quote:

I've never seen a Juggalo or heard of this band until I started reading Something Awful. Discovered them was like finding a hidden, secret, timeless treasure.

It's like checking behind your water heater in the basement, and discovering that a small group of friendly, sentient bipedal mice are building a village there. They're not scared of you, in fact, they welcome you into their tiny town with open arms.

During the hot summer days, you find yourself making excuses to sneak down there, to escape the heat. You bring gifts of cheese and small bits of wood and metal, and spend the evenings giggling as your secret tiny mouse friends scamper playfully across your belly and whisper in your ears... In the winter, you bring snug little felt blankets and heating elements and small candles to keep them warm and well lit. Sometimes, you'll spend hours down there, dozing, your very body heat keeping your mousefriends warm. Hours later, you wake up and make your way upstairs. Gilnathan, leader of the mice, tugs on your pantleg as you walk away. You kneel down slowly. He says, in his tiny squeaky voice, "Daniel...we all love you." Then he scurries away.

Weeks later, your wife begins to catch on. HEADIN' ON DOWN TO TINKER WITH THAT CARBURATOR AGAIN you'll half shout as you make your way down the basement stairs. "Dan. Please," she'll say, a foreign look on her face. Your blood turns ice cold. She knows. "Why don't you spend some time up here? With me?" She gives you a small sad smile, a silently pleading smile. She fixes her eyes on the large paper bag in your hands. "Ange. I can't just now. This is important." You avert her gaze and shuffle down stairs. You wait down there, silently. It's a few minutes before she finally walks back to the living room. Finally you can go back to your safe, magical mouse world, free from strife and stress.

As you step carefully into the space behind the water heater, placing your feet carefully, Gilnathan and his lieutenant Watson approach. They salute you smartly; "At ease, good friends," you whisper heartily. You crouch. "I have come bearing gifts. Has progress been great in the past week?" Gilnathan defers to Watson. "We have had marked progress on key areas," Watson announces. He's shouting at nearly the top of his lungs, but his voice is still very small. "Well," you say eagerly, "Let me see!"

The mouse town is coming along nicely! When you first discovered it, it was a rugged frontier town of cardboard and splinters, and small bits of foam. With your help, it has grown considerably. Over there is the town water tower. Rigged from a large water bottle, surgical tubing, and sturdy aluminum piping, it has enough water to last the hardy micefolk a few weeks. Alfred, an engineer friend at your firm, was puzzled with the request to built it, but you compensated him fairly. Every week or so you fill it via a funnel from the top; the mice can squeeze out choice drops from the small bladder rigged at the base. Nearby is the village. The buildings are made of sturdy double ply cardboard that the mice cut themselves with keen teeth. Toothpicks and pipe cleaners add structure and fabric scraps add comfort. You helped apply the glue at certain key points--wouldn't want your tiny friends to get caught! Near the water heater is the mushroom farms. They built a wooden frame to accept the potting soil you stole (in small amounts) from your wife's begonias. The heat, moisture and dark have allowed a decent crop of edible mushrooms to flourish there. The garden is tended to by Ratsputin, that wizened old mouse veteran. He can be ornery, but he takes his job seriously and that's all that matters. The mice's diet is supplemented by hunting small insects and arachnids that scuttle around in the dark basement. The hunting parties, always five or more mice strong, don small plastic shields you got from a Lego set and cocktail drink swords. As you arrive, one hunting party departs. You wish the huntmaster, Riolcaven, a safe and successful hunt.

The townsfolk gather around you quickly. The children in particular clamor around the paper bags. "Presents! Presents!" they squeak. You hush them gently, and produce sizable block of cheese. They all cheer. Heloverin, the female mouse scholar, approaches. She studies the huge blocky letters printed on the cheese's rind. "Goba?" she says hesitantly. "Very close!" you whisper excitedly. "Gouda". Heloverin bows her head shyly and melds back into the crown. She is the first to become literate. Soon, a schoolhouse for the youngsters will be built. You produce a few more objects, each time hearing your friends cheer. A small light that can be operated by one or two stout micefolk. Some assorted bits of hardware and metal springs, etc. A sheet of scratch and sniff stickers for blind old Shitdagger, bless her heart. The cheering subsides momentarily as footsteps on the floor above you move towards the kitchen. You glance up grimly. You hear the oven door open, and then the footsteps recede back into the living room. "Angie's just checking on dinner. We're ok." You whisper. You spend a few more hours down there, advising them and telling stories to the youngster. Afterwards, you spend a quiet, awkward evening with your wife. "Daniel. Is everything alright?" she asks, worry knotting around her eyes. You never answer. You gaze blandly at the TV, all the while wishing you were with them.

A week later, you come home early. Angie's home early too. Waiting for you as you step through the door. Sitting at the table, mug of cold coffee in her hands. Your fingers clench around the bag of miniaturized supplies you have in your hand. Your very loving rear end in a top hat clenches so tight it could shatter granite. Angie looks at you evenly, almost mildly, and says, "I went down to the basement today." Your heart sags to the bottom of your chest. You mouth flaps open wordlessly. Say something, you ponce! An excuse, a diversion! Maybe your micefriends recognized her footsteps and hid away. Hell, maybe she didn't even SEE the town, it's so well hidden...

Her next words shatter your thoughts. "I saw it. The little village. The tiny little town." You grin stupidly so your teeth don't loving chatter. "H-Honey. It's just a dumb little project I've been--It's for Drew's kid, really. I--I."

She cuts you off. "Dan, I found them too. Them." For a moment pure mortal fear ruptures through your brain. Images of dead mice, exterminated, smashed by a fearful, misunderstanding woman blaze through the visual centers in your cowardly brain. Twisted, ruined corpses of mice everywhere, bloated dead children mice, the stink of poison on their lips....Severed mouse heads mounted on pikes. Pools of blood. Dark Prince Satan laughing coldly in the blackest night... The look of terror is plain on your face. There is no hiding it. "Angela, please!"

She grins maniacally. "I just wanted to tell you that I..."

"...That I love it!"

You are astonished. "WHAT??"

Suddenly Gilnathan crawls out of her shirt pocket. "Daniel!" he waves. You are stupefied. As you step forward to take your wife and true love into your arms, Gilnathan says, "Daniel, it seems we have found yet another friend on this day. Let us be a family together." You cry an inarticulate yelp of joy, weeping like a child on Christmas. Gilnathan hops down and scurries through the new doggy door your wife installed on the basement access door. You and Angela make passionate, sweet love right there on the kitchen floor for what seems like hours. When you feel like you are ready emotionally, the two of you descend downstairs.

Soon the town expands. No longer needing to remain hidden, the mice flourish under the love of their twin caretakers. Your personal relationship problems melt away. Clan patriach Gilnathan rules fairly and wisely, and eventually retires. Watson accepts the role shortly thereafter.

On most days you and your wife step downstairs for short period of time. It is a hidden secret between only you two. You can hear the triumphant bugling of Riolcaven's successful hunt. Sometimes the two of you watch over Heloverin as she teaches her first class. You occasionally correct her, much to the delight of her students. Luckily mean old Ratsputin has volunteered his free time to help keep the students in line for shy Heloverin.

As the years pass you and Angela find yourself coming down less and less. The mice are becoming more independent. Klaus has even informed you secretly that they have sent small expeditionary groups to other houses in the neighborhood. "Mrs Bronson across the street divorced her husband years back," you advise. "The tool shed in their back year is all but untouched. She never goes back there." Klaus studies a small parchment map carefully. "We can get there easily through this pipe, day or night!" he squeaks excitedly, pointing. "Yes, but do be careful," you caution.

Angela celebrates her 57th birthday in a week. The mice have come upstairs in a rare kitchen visit. They have somehow obtained a small cheese danish for her to serve as a cake. She accepts it gracefully, eating only small bites in front of them. "While you are up her, mousefriends..." she starts. Martini, the newest clan patriarch (and a good, just mouse), listens raptly. "Daniel and I are getting old. It will be hard for us to visit you regularly. However, know that we both love you dearly. If you ever need anything, do not hesitate to to pop up topside and ask." A tear rolls down her face. "You are like children to us."

There is silence. Then--"And we all love you too!" It's Gilnathan, hunched in the back of the crowd. "Gil!" you cry, "How goes retirement?"

"Well, old friend. It goes well."

You and the mice and all their colonies live out the rest of your lives in peace and comfort and mutual love.

And that's what finding out about Juggalos is like.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Antivehicular posted:

This would have been a good time to have my non-modifed avatar on.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Random question:

What would stop a Session 0 game like Microscope or Quiet Year from keeping their schtick going throughout an RPG session or campaign?

Besides like...One Ring or Double Cross, are their games out there that hand a part of your character to the GM? What about the rest of the players?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ghostbusters is a completely plausible Call of Cthulhu campaign.

Somehow the PCs finish with more SAN than they started.

Hell, Cthulhu actually showed up in the Real Ghostbusters cartoon once, though because of some idiot "correcting a typo" in the script it was spelled "Cathulhu". Though I suppose the only thing more horrific than Cthulhu would be Cthulhu with cat traits.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

MadDogMike posted:

Hell, Cthulhu actually showed up in the Real Ghostbusters cartoon once, though because of some idiot "correcting a typo" in the script it was spelled "Cathulhu". Though I suppose the only thing more horrific than Cthulhu would be Cthulhu with cat traits.

That ep was also written by the Chaosium crew so it was ultra weird it ended up that spelling.

Totally didn’t follow sanity rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vJilPgMqNM

Also, if you haven’t gone through the ghostbusters rpg. It is perhaps the best rpg ever written. Someone put up some barebones of it:

https://ghostbusterscities.com/media/ghostbusters-the-roleplaying-game/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PuttyKnife posted:

That ep was also written by the Chaosium crew so it was ultra weird it ended up that spelling.

Did Michael Reaves also work on the Call of Cthulhu RPG? I thought he was mostly a cartoon writer.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I've been thinking about something lately and I wanted to ramble on it some. Something I'm tentatively calling the big fish in the small pond.

For reference, I have a long term group that's absolutely fantastic and I'm very happy with. But I'm someone who enjoys variety so I occasionally give joining random internet games a shot. Sometimes it gives me diamonds in the rough that I can poach for other endeavors, sometimes it gives me hilarious experiences with wildly dysfunctional people, and sometimes it even gives me an actual legitimately high quality game out of nowhere. My wife and I had a couple recently experiences doing this that got me thinking about something as they had a bit of a pattern in common. I'll say I think both of us are excellent players and GMs, and I guess if you don't take my word for that then a lot of this probably falls apart.

In both cases the games (GMs, mostly) seemed to have a lot of promise. There were a few fun first sessions. And then some issues started showing up. In the first case, a complete inability to manage pacing. In the second case, inability to improvise anything, and seemingly no ability to do more than surface level characterization. In both cases, issues that don't really start to show up until the game has properly gotten going and it starts to become apparent that stuff that read as a promising start is never going to be any deeper than that. In both cases, the GMs presented themselves as people who wanted feedback on their GMing. So, we gave them feedback. And I think in both cases it rapidly became clear that neither of them actually wanted feedback. Or maybe more accurately, when they say they want feedback what they probably actually mean is they want feedback on minor things like including certain types of content. Both of them were very uncomfortable dealing with feedback that was critiquing deeper structural stuff that actually cut at their GMing itself. In the first case is manifested as the GM ignoring us for a week and then cancelling the game, in the second case it was the GM saying stuff to the effect of "No, it's totally fine, just trust me!" and then being blindsided when we ended up quitting after he kept on doing the same thing he was doing before but worse.

Which brings me to this weird dynamic that I think might be present in a lot of RPG groups in general, the big fish in the small pond. The GM that attracts a group of people who are all slightly worse than him, who are happy and grateful to show up and eat the slop, who go along with whatever he wants and praise him for it. I think was definitely the case in both of these games, the GM came with a few preexisting players, who were basically non-entities who showed up, did some token roleplay (worse than the GM), and showered the GM with praise for what I say were clearly pretty flawed games. And I was wondering if I'm just spinning this narrative of the weird symbiotic relationship between above average GMs and wholly mediocre play groups, or if people think there's something to it. Because I sure hear a lot of stories in the hobby of groups that, from an outside perspective, seem to work exactly like that. And really it seems to go back to the bizarre GM-as-God D&D group mythos, of the wise, all-knowing GM that deftly manages and awes the adoring player group and shows them great times.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Leperflesh posted:

Was it the "freelance spy" OCC? I can't find anything like a "Freelancer" OCC with a bit of searching

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's from Dimension Book 1: Wormwood-

Thank you both. I'd just about figured I'd made those up somehow. It's nice to have an answer on that.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

PuttyKnife posted:

Totally didn’t follow sanity rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vJilPgMqNM

Also, if you haven’t gone through the ghostbusters rpg. It is perhaps the best rpg ever written. Someone put up some barebones of it:

https://ghostbusterscities.com/media/ghostbusters-the-roleplaying-game/

The original boxed game was great, it came with the forms to fill out to start a Ghostbusters franchise.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Colonel Cool posted:

I've been thinking about something lately and I wanted to ramble on it some. And then some issues started showing up. In the first case, a complete inability to manage pacing. In the second case, inability to improvise anything, and seemingly no ability to do more than surface level characterization.

Both the things you describe are difficulty spikes of GMing skill. Giving feedback on lack of those is kind of moot as I imagine most GMs would like to be able to do them but it’s not a free choice.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

PuttyKnife posted:

Random question:

What would stop a Session 0 game like Microscope or Quiet Year from keeping their schtick going throughout an RPG session or campaign?

I'm not totally sure what you mean by this. As in, just take breaks in a campaign to revisit Microscope or Quiet Year for another turn or two? Nothing, really. A recent game had the GM start us with Quiet Year to get the setting going and then we took a break partway through to run a game of Microscope (or something like it, I don't quite remember) as a sort of interactive info-dump of some ancient history of the setting. The GM used his turns in that to set up the core stuff he'd planned the rest of the campaign around, and we added extra stuff and our own spins on his material to give him more to work with.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

hyphz posted:

Both the things you describe are difficulty spikes of GMing skill. Giving feedback on lack of those is kind of moot as I imagine most GMs would like to be able to do them but it’s not a free choice.

Sure, of course. I don't expect people to be instantly perfect or anything. But the feedback also isn't "You suck at pacing, get better at pacing". It's much more reasonable incremental stuff along the lines of "Can we maybe let roleplay have a little more time to breathe instead of quickly moving on to a social roll and then ending the scene?"

I think what I'm more getting at is the attitude I think I perceive of not wanting to try to improve and instead just surrounding yourself with people a little worse than you to tell you you're amazing. That's what I find really strange.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I mean, a lot of people game primarily as a social activity for screwing around with their friends, not as a serious creative endeavor where they want constructive criticism, and a lot of gaming friend groups will end up at about the same (not necessarily very high) skill level and not feel any need to improve because they're all having fun. There's nothing wrong with giving concrit if you're not enjoying a game, but if everyone else is, you may have to accept that the group just isn't a good fit for you.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

I mean, a lot of people game primarily as a social activity for screwing around with their friends, not as a serious creative endeavor where they want constructive criticism, and a lot of gaming friend groups will end up at about the same (not necessarily very high) skill level and not feel any need to improve because they're all having fun. There's nothing wrong with giving concrit if you're not enjoying a game, but if everyone else is, you may have to accept that the group just isn't a good fit for you.

Sure, that's not a problem either. But again, these people did present themselves as people who want feedback so they can improve.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

disposablewords posted:

I'm not totally sure what you mean by this. As in, just take breaks in a campaign to revisit Microscope or Quiet Year for another turn or two? Nothing, really. A recent game had the GM start us with Quiet Year to get the setting going and then we took a break partway through to run a game of Microscope (or something like it, I don't quite remember) as a sort of interactive info-dump of some ancient history of the setting. The GM used his turns in that to set up the core stuff he'd planned the rest of the campaign around, and we added extra stuff and our own spins on his material to give him more to work with.

Something like this. I’m more interested in a sort of organic back and forth among players with or without a GM where they begin with a session 0 game of sorts and it just sort of…melds with the game.

I haven’t quite understood why session 0 games and like…Fate Tokens couldn’t be more robust in how they are used.

Like at some point I get a reward and it’s room card or secret backstory to an NPC or even a card from something like Once Upon a Time that I can use to shift the story a bit.

I suppose this breaks the sacred rpg foundation of systems mattering but I feel like it’s something interesting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

Sure, that's not a problem either. But again, these people did present themselves as people who want feedback so they can improve.

A lot of people in all walks of life and every kind of endeavor think that they want constructive criticism, in theory, but when it is offered, are likely to react negatively. Especially when offered from someone who isn't a close friend or confidante. "I want feedback" can be a stand-in for "I want praise," too.

At the same time, critique can be presented in an exceptionally blunt and off-putting way, and we kind of just have to presume that you're totally couching your criticisms by bracketing them with praise and including reassurances that you're happy with the game and want to keep playing regardless etc.. It's hard on a forum like this to judge if one party or another is being unreasonable or weird or whatever.

e. also, not to boot this conversation because it's totally fine here, but we do also have a GM advice thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150535

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

A lot of people in all walks of life and every kind of endeavor think that they want constructive criticism, in theory, but when it is offered, are likely to react negatively. Especially when offered from someone who isn't a close friend or confidante. "I want feedback" can be a stand-in for "I want praise," too.

At the same time, critique can be presented in an exceptionally blunt and off-putting way, and we kind of just have to presume that you're totally couching your criticisms by bracketing them with praise and including reassurances that you're happy with the game and want to keep playing regardless etc.. It's hard on a forum like this to judge if one party or another is being unreasonable or weird or whatever.

e. also, not to boot this conversation because it's totally fine here, but we do also have a GM advice thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150535

Yeah, absolutely. I think we were both extremely gentle with the criticism and hit on all those points repeatedly. I think if anything the opposite might have been true, being too gentle with criticism to the point of not making it clear that these were actually serious problems up until the hammer dropped, leaving him feeling like this was out of left field. But sure, I appreciate that I'm just some person on the internet saying this and I'm only giving one side of the story here. It really does feel like it's the code word for wanting praise thing to me though.

I guess the broader point I was musing on initially is it seems to me like this whole setting up groups to feed you praise thing seems really common in this hobby in particular and I'm wondering if there's something about the structure of RPGs that draws in a certain personality type. Or maybe it really is just common everywhere and I'm not looking hard enough at society as a whole.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Colonel Cool posted:

Sure, of course. I don't expect people to be instantly perfect or anything. But the feedback also isn't "You suck at pacing, get better at pacing". It's much more reasonable incremental stuff along the lines of "Can we maybe let roleplay have a little more time to breathe instead of quickly moving on to a social roll and then ending the scene?"

It is possible that you’re actually encountering different creative agendas. Some groups want to run roleplay-light games, after all. I think in general it’s a mistake to assume that “skill at tabletop gaming” is a single axis question.

I recognize that I’m reacting to one example here and I don’t have the full picture, of course.

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
I just watched Napoleon and I'm kinda interested in small scale (6mm) miniatures wargaming from the napoleonic era. it seems to be one of the most famous eras to wargame, especially among much older crowds, and has a long history. this makes it sort of intimidating to dive into the subject. whats the msot popular ruleset/mm scale these days? I have intermediate wargaming experience for clarification

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LurchinTard posted:

I just watched Napoleon and I'm kinda interested in small scale (6mm) miniatures wargaming from the napoleonic era. it seems to be one of the most famous eras to wargame, especially among much older crowds, and has a long history. this makes it sort of intimidating to dive into the subject. whats the msot popular ruleset/mm scale these days? I have intermediate wargaming experience for clarification

Not to shut down discussion here because I don’t know how active it is, but there’s a thread on the topic of historical wargames (don’t know if it includes hex & chit as well as lead).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3248082&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Admiralty Flag posted:

Not to shut down discussion here because I don’t know how active it is, but there’s a thread on the topic of historical wargames (don’t know if it includes hex & chit as well as lead).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3248082&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

it's fairly active when topics come up or questions are posed. ive seen some cross over into "board game" style games but the focus is on games w miniatures

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Colonel Cool posted:

I guess the broader point I was musing on initially is it seems to me like this whole setting up groups to feed you praise thing seems really common in this hobby in particular and I'm wondering if there's something about the structure of RPGs that draws in a certain personality type. Or maybe it really is just common everywhere and I'm not looking hard enough at society as a whole.

There’s feedback and feedback, though. Like “can’t Sproggy the Goblin come back? We never found what happened to him.” It’s not quite praise, but at the same time it’s positive from a GMing point of view because it reflects engagement with the fiction.

And certainly “I want feedback but at the same time I want acknowledgment that having done this is better than having not done it” is very common in creative things or social organisation, and GMing is both. Plus, wanting to bring other people into your imagination is a motivation for GMing and being told “yea, but actually it sucks” is going to hurt.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feedback is often better delivered as “this is what I would like to have happen” than “this is what I think about what you did”. It’s not really quite as helpful, ultimately, but it’s much easier for a lot of people to accept.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

PuttyKnife posted:

Something like this. I’m more interested in a sort of organic back and forth among players with or without a GM where they begin with a session 0 game of sorts and it just sort of…melds with the game.

I haven’t quite understood why session 0 games and like…Fate Tokens couldn’t be more robust in how they are used.

Like at some point I get a reward and it’s room card or secret backstory to an NPC or even a card from something like Once Upon a Time that I can use to shift the story a bit.

I suppose this breaks the sacred rpg foundation of systems mattering but I feel like it’s something interesting.

I think this is an incredibly interesting idea that more people should be experimenting with. The major hurdle I suspect you could run into is that an expectation of tabletop roleplaying games as mist people perceive it is a primacy of character actions, whereas in a game that has an external superstructure frame game you would be aiming for a primacy of player actions, but the agency of the characters would be greatly lessened in contrast since the frame game has so much more narrative structuring power.

For instance, if you were to perform this sort of play using Microscope I would expect that the players wouldn't even be ever playing the same characters since the time scale could be so vast, they would instead jump into a subgame whenever you performed scene play, where you create characters distinct to that scene (in more explicit mechanical terms than the rules of Microscope intends). You could try limiting the range of scope of the game to a very small period of time, but Microscope doesn't scope spacial limitations, so I suspect it would be very hard to create a scenario where the same characters actions 'mattered' to the narrative consistently.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I guess what I'm trying to say is a major part of the 'fruitful void' in Microscope is showing that the myth of the great man is patently absurd. But most ttrpgs are about making a cool guy and telling stories about your cool guy.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Microscope Explorer is an expansion book for Microscope. As well as a whole chapter on using it for world building it has three new modes of play, one of which is explicitly about playing a smaller scale, more focused game:

quote:

CHRONICLE focuses and streamlines Microscope, narrowing the history to the story of a single thing, such as a city, a political movement or a ring of power. It also brings individuals to the forefront with anchor characters whose lives are intertwined with each chapter of the history. It’s a simpler, more personal Microscope.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it's fairly active when topics come up or questions are posed. ive seen some cross over into "board game" style games but the focus is on games w miniatures

Board wrgaming thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564278

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is a major part of the 'fruitful void' in Microscope is showing that the myth of the great man is patently absurd. But most ttrpgs are about making a cool guy and telling stories about your cool guy.

I think Icarus does an ok job with the Great Man but that’s neither here nor there. What I guess pushes me into this is that I’m more interested in a world everyone actually inhabits rather than a character immigrating to a new world with nothing and seeking everything.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Tarnop posted:

Microscope Explorer is an expansion book for Microscope. As well as a whole chapter on using it for world building it has three new modes of play, one of which is explicitly about playing a smaller scale, more focused game:

Yes... Ha ha ha, yes!

PuttyKnife posted:

I think Icarus does an ok job with the Great Man but that’s neither here nor there. What I guess pushes me into this is that I’m more interested in a world everyone actually inhabits rather than a character immigrating to a new world with nothing and seeking everything.

I think the simplest way to accomplish this might be to start in a setting that is intimately familiar to all the players. That would be not ambitious enough for my taste. I'm interested in ways we can bend and break the normal boundaries we place around the GM's control of the setting.

Please, when you try this, report back.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Goddamn, is there some way to play mouse guard that doesn't loving suck?

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask.

Everything runs like a skill challenge where it doesn't matter what you wanted to do because oops now you're playing a shittier Apocalypse World and the only moves are Attack, Defend, Maneuver, and Feint.

loving poo poo loving sucks.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

moths posted:

Everything runs like a skill challenge where it doesn't matter what you wanted to do because oops now you're playing a shittier Apocalypse World and the only moves are Attack, Defend, Maneuver, and Feint.

Just use the rules for regular tests. Don't use the conflict rules if they don't click for your group (they didn't for mine.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

moths posted:

https://mausritter.com/

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

moths posted:

You’re overusing the full-blown conflict rules. If it doesn’t directly involve someone’s Belief or Goal, it almost certainly shouldn’t use the full conflict mechanics, and you should make normal rolls to resolve it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thanks, I'll definitely bring that up to our GM.

I feel like he's running a scripted adventure; Every session has been just a goddamn loop of picking one of the four cards and rolling dice around the table until a score goes to zero.

Absolutely dreadful.