Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wheeljack posted:

Hmm, if a new Cold War makes Gore a one term President, who’s in next? Less of a boy wonder Clinton? Hillary, having also served as governor of Arkansas (the Clintons had planned on alternating the governorship…). Faux Lee Iacocca?

A plucky lunar real estate developer who has plans for Mars-a-Lago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I know deals, I make the best deals. If I were in charge of Mars, we never would have bowed down to the radical communist Russia, believe me.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Wheeljack posted:

When Margo got the photo and everyone was off to one side, I thought she’d be told “this picture used to have six people in it, now it’s down to three” as a warning.

Of course, I also thought we’d see “wrong conversions” guy get a sack over his head or even strangled right in the meeting. The show needs international drama as well as personal to work, so they may crack up the Neo-Stalinism dial high.

Hmm, if a new Cold War makes Gore a one term President, who’s in next? Less of a boy wonder Clinton? Hillary, having also served as governor of Arkansas (the Clintons had planned on alternating the governorship…). Faux Lee Iacocca?

John McCain

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Would Arnold have made it big in this time-line? Would a space-obsessed US go hard for sword and sorcery?

Pinterest Mom posted:

"If you switch reference frames you might have better luck inverting the matrices" is the single best piece of throwaway science babble I've ever heard on television. Gj show.

Could get rid of some gnarly terms, might make sense. They didn't show what exactly the engineering girl was doing :shrug:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Every time it switches to the Margo plot my eyes sigh. Watching her lurch around wordlessly is not my favorite.

I didn't find a source for her exact age but this article claims she's in "her fifties", I don't know if that merits playing it like she's at death's door.

I had quite enough of "old person who is working past their prime" in Secret Invasion this year.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rappaport posted:

Would Arnold have made it big in this time-line? Would a space-obsessed US go hard for sword and sorcery?

This line is a great hook for an alt-history exploration that this show doesn't seem to care much about anymore.

quote:

Could get rid of some gnarly terms, might make sense. They didn't show what exactly the engineering girl was doing :shrug:

Presumably not saying "gee thanks lady, really appreciate the snide 'maybe try not sucking at physics' comment there"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sivart13 posted:

Every time it switches to the Margo plot my eyes sigh. Watching her lurch around wordlessly is not my favorite.

I didn't find a source for her exact age but this article claims she's in "her fifties", I don't know if that merits playing it like she's at death's door.

I had quite enough of "old person who is working past their prime" in Secret Invasion this year.
She might be sick. Not a doctor but I'm sure there's something that can cause premature death.

I wasn't a fan of her plotline but it they keep cranking up tension, we might get something interesting. This episode was pretty decent on that front imo.

Rappaport posted:

We might get a Schwartzenegger Space Library next season :pray:

Uhh have you tried using Gaussian elimination here, Tatyana?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The show: Ed is the worst because he drove Danny to suicide.

The audience: Ed is a hero because he got rid of Danny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Who is saying Ed is a hero?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Better Ed than dead, comrade :colbert:

poo poo, that's written in cat-sized letters on the whiteboard in the writers' room, isn't it :ohno:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

Who is saying Ed is a hero?

Me.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

What if we made Admiral Adama completely unlikable and incompetent?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why is ed even in the show / on mars I thought Danielle was sent up to replace him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why is ed even in the show / on mars I thought Danielle was sent up to replace him.

She replaced the guy who told Ed not to gently caress around with the asteroid and abort.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Es isn't NASA, he's Helios. Danielle replaced the American commander. Happy Valley has a setup where the commanding officer rotates between NASA and Roscosmos, and the XO is always Helios.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Es isn't NASA, he's Helios. Danielle replaced the American commander. Happy Valley has a setup where the commanding officer rotates between NASA and Roscosmos, and the XO is always Helios.

do we know for sure that the XO is always Helios (meaning did i miss some dialogue somewhere) or is it just de facto this because it's always been Ed

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They sent up a few other XOs, but Ed ate them and gained their powers

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

aBagorn posted:

do we know for sure that the XO is always Helios (meaning did i miss some dialogue somewhere) or is it just de facto this because it's always been Ed

One of the intra-season capsules explains that M-7 have contracted Helios to be the "sole company" running the day-to-day operations in Happy Valley. I don't recall a specific line of dialogue saying "the (specific title of) XO is always Helios", but they're the ones running the place in practical terms, and they presumably make staffing decisions.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ed is an extra lovely Helios XO when you realise he's one of the people fully on board with most of the Helios plebs being stuck underground with lovely rations while the state sponsored scientists and astronauts are getting the good treatment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

Ed is an extra lovely Helios XO when you realise he's one of the people fully on board with most of the Helios plebs being stuck underground with lovely rations while the state sponsored scientists and astronauts are getting the good treatment.

Maybe this is the writers trying to prevent a Walter White situation where people kept thinking Walt was the hero despite being written to do really lovely things. If they keep writing Ed to be really lovely, people will stop thinking he's the big space hero. Otherwise, how can you be so brain dead that you're eating fancy pasta while someone tells you your employees are struggling and can't even talk to their families and you say they need to just suck it up because it's mars, baby.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
I’m pretty sure the Helios security officer outfits are kind of a nod to the total recall goons who wore grey jumpsuits with grey helmets

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
HOW DOES GARBAGE GET ANY WORSE. GUTTER. DUMP.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Goddamn, I can't take Ed's old man costume seriously. He looks absolutely ridiculous in it. Dani's actor is so much better at playing an older person. But everyone else's old person direction instructions seem to just be "ok, now move like an old Soviet babushka on ketamine"

Sivart13 posted:

I think she got badly hurt in the NASA terror attack? She still has some support bandages on her arm IIRC and her leg doesn't work right.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sivart13 posted:

I'm way more interested in what happens to Margo than anything going on in space.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Someone spotted Trombley at the Mars meeting:

Hopefully he goes nuts and shoots up some soviets or something.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The first Burger King on Mars...

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

GABA ghoul posted:

Goddamn, I can't take Ed's old man costume seriously. He looks absolutely ridiculous in it. Dani's actor is so much better at playing an older person. But everyone else's old person direction instructions seem to just be "ok, now move like an old Soviet babushka on ketamine"

I think she got badly hurt in the NASA terror attack? She still has some support bandages on her arm IIRC and her leg doesn't work right.

She was tortured by soviets two episodes ago

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

90sgamer posted:

She was tortured by soviets two episodes ago

She's been limping since her first appearances this season, though I doubt being strung up like that helped much.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah was limping and had the bandages the entire time.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

mobby_6kl posted:

Someone spotted Trombley at the Mars meeting:

Hopefully he goes nuts and shoots up some soviets or something.

Jesus Christ, ed, can't you be more like Trombley?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

some of these russian accents are very much the russian american actor who only speaks russian to his parents finally gets his chance. even Margo was doing better

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Need more "John Malkovich in Rounders" style

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nothing is worse than Margo's Russian accent. Nothing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Her Russian accent is supposed to be bad at least

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The way Margot sounds speaking Russian to me as a non Russian speaker is that it sounds like the actress is just reading the line in the most monotonous way possible. It sounds like the way the teachers talk in Peanuts. Does that sound accurate to Russian speaking people who have to listen to her trying to speak Russian?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

The way Margot sounds speaking Russian to me as a non Russian speaker is that it sounds like the actress is just reading the line in the most monotonous way possible. It sounds like the way the teachers talk in Peanuts. Does that sound accurate to Russian speaking people who have to listen to her trying to speak Russian?

its hit and miss, some words are way off (maybe on purpose) but in general yeah its just memorizing how they told her to say the line which is mostly accurate. that one guy was straight up speaking proper russian with an american accent which just sounds wrong

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The way she says English words is pretty hit and miss too tbh

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Bosch posted:

Jesus Christ, ed, can't you be more like Trombley?
More like Trombley? MORE LIKE TROMBLEY!?

mistermojo posted:

its hit and miss, some words are way off (maybe on purpose) but in general yeah its just memorizing how they told her to say the line which is mostly accurate. that one guy was straight up speaking proper russian with an american accent which just sounds wrong
She sounds not like someone who speaks the language with a heavy accent, but some reading a line written in English. Which is probably what happened.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

She's just making sounds without any idea of what they mean(and consequently not using any intonation). I don't think they have anyone on set who helps with pronunciation or language mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

She's just making sounds without any idea of what they mean(and consequently not using any intonation). I don't think they have anyone on set who helps with pronunciation or language mistakes.

Any decent show would have a dialect coach on set.

E: They had one. So it was definitely intentional or "good enough" and didn't bother ADRing

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 5, 2023