Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fucker posted:

streets of fire

this is the cheesiest movie i have ever seen lol. speed racer got nothing on this.

some of these line reads felt like they came right from the speed racer cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah its sad because there is probably a good movie in there somewhere but whatever its trying to present itself as, the movie is way too rushed and doesn't get to flesh it out and it just has some of the worst performances collectively, the best actor in the movie has like 8 minutes of screen time

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

This trailer is brilliant, amazing job

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

some of these line reads felt like they came right from the speed racer cartoon

yeh its unbelievable how bad most of the acting is. pare in particulars barely doing anything lol. at least willem dafoe got some cool eye twitches and tried to sell his lines

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

When half the script is basically:
“Oh, yeah?”
“Yeah”
“Well, same to you pal”
It’s hard to give a decent performance

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cut huge chunks of dialogue out of the middle and replace them with more fights and songs and it might've been a classic.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

replace the lead with the three stooges

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

thinking about the random homeless guy they stumbled upon who babbled about info they already knew and figured that he would like, come back later in the movie or something, but no it was an entirely pointless scene aside from another opportunity for Rick Moranis to just be an rear end in a top hat

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdsTURT5wUI

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

poo poo I thought Paulie said that

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
rocky

a classic for a good reason. doesnt even feel like a boxing movie, just feels like a good drama that happens to have boxing in the background. coolest things ab the movie are how well they show the differences between rocky and apollo as people and then the brilliant ending that makes it a good underdog story. gotta say its not the most rewatchable of movies tho
3/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

symbolic posted:

thinking about the random homeless guy they stumbled upon who babbled about info they already knew and figured that he would like, come back later in the movie or something, but no it was an entirely pointless scene aside from another opportunity for Rick Moranis to just be an rear end in a top hat

I completely forgot about that guy. lmao

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
been a long week so i thought rocky would be a good friday movie. was really surprised at how few the finer details of the original have seeped into pop culture. came in under the impression it would feel like a classic foundational sports movie and instead got something that felt more like ashita no joe at the end and like fucker says a drama inbetween. seeing everyone glued to their tvs to watch the pre-fight interviews and match was an odd reminder at how far boxing seems to have fallen out as a spectator sport. i think i know more people that box irl than people that enjoy watching fights. maybe mma just took their audiences?

but back to movie, the casting ruled, i love the variety of character faces you get in 70s movies. rocky and adrian being so strange was great.

four coconuts out of five, and a yo-yo doing the trick entitled 'around the world' in honor of the world heavy wieght championship belt that rocky fought so honorably to win

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Tarranon posted:

seeing everyone glued to their tvs to watch the pre-fight interviews and match was an odd reminder at how far boxing seems to have fallen out as a spectator sport. i think i know more people that box irl than people that enjoy watching fights. maybe mma just took their audiences?

yeah, boxing hit a major peak when tv first came out. because early tv broadcasts were all live and even switching between cameras was tough for a short while, boxing was uniquely primed for televising. since it’s a small ring and just two guys you can put a camera in one spot, see what’s going on for yourself the whole time. and everybody people having tiny blurry low res black and white tvs where you could barely make out a ball, boxing was tv’s best and most legible sport until instant replay came out. instant replay wasn’t popularized until jfk’s funeral broadcast in 1963. the army-navy game that year took it and ran and football started to become the tv sport it is today.

but even after that boxing still had some of that juice in 77 because it was still exciting and tastes don’t change quite that quickly. plus the sport was still riding the wave that was mohammed ali. take into account that in 1977 there are only three real networks, and on top of that the average american watched like 6 hours of tv a day. you’re just gonna pick up so many eyes. another world.

pay-per-view was probably the biggest factor that killed boxing and it was still pretty experimental in 1977. because with ppv you have to have cable and shell out big bucks every time you want to see a big fight. each ppv (and to the same effect, HBO) match makes huge money that the promoters get addicted to but you never gain new fans that way and you fatigue your existing ones. boxing was already a shell of its former self by the time mma took off

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Streets of Fire felt like a fake movie that would be shown on a TV during a real movie.

I'll be the odd man out and say that I liked this one a good bit, it definitely falls short of its potential--if they had done like The Warriors and threw in a bunch of short action setpieces to break up the dialogue-heavy parts then this could have been a stone-cold classic but the pacing drags it way down. But when it's on I think it's really on, the action scenes are fun even if there aren't enough of them, the music's great, I liked Rick Moranis as a cocky little Napoleon complex jerk, everything was self-consciously trying so hard to be cool that it was kind of endearing in a weird way. McCoy was a fun character, I liked the tough guy ex-soldier drifter John Rambo role just being given to a five foot five lady and having her sell it completely straight, and the actress gave it her all and was probably my favorite performance in the film (still kind of flat but just in the normal 80s-movie tough-guy sort of way). Young Willem Defoe was interesting to see, his line delivery was as bad as pretty much everyone else but his physical acting--faces, body language, just presence in general--is just off the charts. I laughed a lot throughout the movie but a lot of the time when I did I was unsure if the movie wanted me to be laughing or not.

There's a really fantastic movie in here that they didn't quite manage to bring out; I keep thinking about the sequence in the original Star Wars where they rescue Princess Leia from the Death Star, a ragtag crew of people that don't like each other all that much pulling off a daring rescue under the enemy's nose, and there's lots of action but the characters are all bickering and playing off each other while they fight and flee. If they had gone for that sort of energy instead of just having long stretches of just the bickering this movie would have been right up there with The Warriors. As it stands, the two movies have enough shared DNA that you can tell they're by the same director, but it feels like Streets of Fire should be the amateurish early attempt by a director with some good ideas and some natural talent, who later in life with some more experience under his belt returns to the idea and refines it to perfection with the Warriors. The fact that it's actually made five years after The Warriors is bizarre.

I guess I'll sum up by saying that it falls into a weird gray zone where it's not really good enough to be good, but it's too good to be a "so bad it's good." As a result I can't quite say if I liked it genuinely or ironically, but I did like it.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
yeah streets of fire was a perfectly adequate action movie that couldve used a bit more action but i liked the characters and didnt mind that there was so many talking scenes between the action because it really let people shine

my personal issue with the movie is that you end up liking people but then the movie doesnt really do anything with that, i dont think a single solitary soul dies and its worse for it and makes it ultimately seem like a bubblegum feelgood movie

but a little emotional impact wouldve gone a long way towards making it a more compelling film, it feels a bit too dry and that there arent any raised stakes when nobody is getting checked out

still it wasnt a bad movie and i think it will ultimately be forgettable but for now i can safely say i enjoyed it and that i understood why its called streets of fire after the fifth motorcycle blew up from tom codys magical explosive rounds rifle

6.5/10

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Streets of Fire- I was waiting to see how other people felt about my pick before I posted my review. I love it, but I'm not going to pretend it isn't pretty flawed. Michael Pare has absolutely no charisma. I'm not sure anybody could have given a great performance given the script they were working it, but everyone else seems to be giving it there all. I'm pretty sure they did just literally film the first draft of the screenplay without giving it any thought once they started filming. They wouldn't even let Rick Moranis improvise at all. You end up with a musical action comedy that needs more of all three.

That being said there is a lot to enjoy about this movie. I think it has a good mix of moments that are so bad they're funny and actual good moments where you appreciate what they are going for. The opening scene works great. It's pretty much the one part of the movie that actually lives up to the premise. The music is great. The scene gang rushing the stage to kidnap Ellen and the bandmates trying to fight them off is a lot of fun. Then you have Tom's introduction. He saves his sister's diner by demolishing the entire place and throwing every guy through a different window pane. He then steals a car and drives off like a GTA protagonist.

It never gets back to level of energy of the opening but there's a lot of little things I love I think most people have already touched on. The early 20's female grizzled combat veteran, Tom stopping the tour bus, the random homeless guy the pay to tell them info they already know, Tom punching Ellen before running off to fight a sledgehammer duel.

They close out with an original song by Jim Steinman because they couldn't actually get the rights to the Springsteen song the movie is named after. It really makes me wish they had just had him write a few more songs.

Overall I still recommend it to people despite it's flaws. It's neat seeing all the little things in the movie that have filtered into pop culture by way of getting copied by other more successful works and a bunch of random video games.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Streets of fire was a good pick. Its sticking in my craw, i might rewatch it

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

rodbeard posted:

Streets of Fire- I was waiting to see how other people felt about my pick before I posted my review. I love it, but I'm not going to pretend it isn't pretty flawed. Michael Pare has absolutely no charisma. I'm not sure anybody could have given a great performance given the script they were working it, but everyone else seems to be giving it there all. I'm pretty sure they did just literally film the first draft of the screenplay without giving it any thought once they started filming. They wouldn't even let Rick Moranis improvise at all. You end up with a musical action comedy that needs more of all three.

That being said there is a lot to enjoy about this movie. I think it has a good mix of moments that are so bad they're funny and actual good moments where you appreciate what they are going for. The opening scene works great. It's pretty much the one part of the movie that actually lives up to the premise. The music is great. The scene gang rushing the stage to kidnap Ellen and the bandmates trying to fight them off is a lot of fun. Then you have Tom's introduction. He saves his sister's diner by demolishing the entire place and throwing every guy through a different window pane. He then steals a car and drives off like a GTA protagonist.

It never gets back to level of energy of the opening but there's a lot of little things I love I think most people have already touched on. The early 20's female grizzled combat veteran, Tom stopping the tour bus, the random homeless guy the pay to tell them info they already know, Tom punching Ellen before running off to fight a sledgehammer duel.

They close out with an original song by Jim Steinman because they couldn't actually get the rights to the Springsteen song the movie is named after. It really makes me wish they had just had him write a few more songs.

Overall I still recommend it to people despite it's flaws. It's neat seeing all the little things in the movie that have filtered into pop culture by way of getting copied by other more successful works and a bunch of random video games.

i also liked how during the police blockade scene two armed people step out of a bus and tell all the armed cops to get on the ground and they just do it lol

like 50 policemen with pistols and shotguns and rifles just immediately giving up and flopping to the ground lol

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’m listening to Streets of Fire’s soundtrack in the office today lol. Whatever else you can say about the movie you can’t say a bad word about the music

https://youtu.be/3VopScslvPo?si=cpI8uRjnMqLO2KcA

https://youtu.be/nDof_WWj_BY?si=3fLW6QAGXbCnNTbs

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Spoderman posted:

yeah, boxing hit a major peak when tv first came out. because early tv broadcasts were all live and even switching between cameras was tough for a short while, boxing was uniquely primed for televising. since it’s a small ring and just two guys you can put a camera in one spot, see what’s going on for yourself the whole time. and everybody people having tiny blurry low res black and white tvs where you could barely make out a ball, boxing was tv’s best and most legible sport until instant replay came out. instant replay wasn’t popularized until jfk’s funeral broadcast in 1963. the army-navy game that year took it and ran and football started to become the tv sport it is today.

but even after that boxing still had some of that juice in 77 because it was still exciting and tastes don’t change quite that quickly. plus the sport was still riding the wave that was mohammed ali. take into account that in 1977 there are only three real networks, and on top of that the average american watched like 6 hours of tv a day. you’re just gonna pick up so many eyes. another world.

pay-per-view was probably the biggest factor that killed boxing and it was still pretty experimental in 1977. because with ppv you have to have cable and shell out big bucks every time you want to see a big fight. each ppv (and to the same effect, HBO) match makes huge money that the promoters get addicted to but you never gain new fans that way and you fatigue your existing ones. boxing was already a shell of its former self by the time mma took off

that makes a ton of sense, thanks for the history :hai:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I actually saw Rocky for the first time earlier this year, but rewatched anyway. It's really a masterpiece and probably the most American movie ever: a huge moron succeeds through sheer will and brute force. Paulie is probably the highlight of the movie for me, he's such a prick but he's loveable about it somehow. Burgess Meredith is perfectly cast here as well. It's a classic movie for a reason.

Rocky's taste in fashion is hosed up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

joey mcchrist was the pick this week and is giving us a nice, easy to watch action thriller

Collateral - dir. by Michael Mann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JDf2zIFgO8

quote:

A cab driver finds himself the hostage of an engaging contract killer as he makes his rounds from hit to hit during one night in Los Angeles.
This movie will expire December 18th.

Collateral can be streamed on the following platforms.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Streets of Fire was one of the dumbest movies I’ve ever seen but I had a dumb smile on my face for a lot of it. Script and acting was pretty dire but there was definitely some cool direction/editing and some laughs that had to have been intentional. As mentioned the soundtrack is killer. Pretty cool pick! Oh yeah and the cold open is sick

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rocky - love this movie a lot. it kind of rules how a relatively speaking nobody actor wrote and starred in this film and then it was so well received for the time he went on to be a major star off of this one film. can't really think of any contemporary actors who've done that themselves off hand (i'm sure there are but i'm drawing a blank here)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rocky

Stallone really is one of the most underrated people in Hollywood, it was mentioned before but it is really astounding that this was his first script and his first leading role ever, and nevertheless it managed to spawn be one of the most critically acclaimed and culturally beloved and relevant movies with a legacy that extends even today with the sequels and spinoffs such as Creed. One thing that really struck me is the similarity to a Manga I've been reading rather recently too, Ashita No Joe/Tomorrow's Joe, both of them dealing with working-class, down in their luck boxers who nevertheless dream big and catch the eyes of veteran trainers who see the potential in them and eventually even get to contend with the strongest fighter in the world with unsurmountable odds. It is a very simple, yet very attractive archetype that can really get you to sympathize and want to root with them.

9/10

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
if letterboxd is to be believed, collateral is one of my four favourite movies of all time. more than happy to watch it for like the sixteenth time

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

joey mcchrist was the pick this week and is giving us a nice, easy to watch action thriller

Collateral - dir. by Michael Mann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JDf2zIFgO8

This movie will expire December 18th.

Collateral can be streamed on the following platforms.

One of the best movies of all time

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

When I was a teen I thought the scene where audioslave is playing and they stop for a coyote was loving cool, and hell,

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

When I was a teen I thought the scene where audioslave is playing and they stop for a coyote was loving cool, and hell,

It is loving cool

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lester posted:

It is loving cool

:thatsright:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

it kicks rear end, love that song too

rip chris cornell

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rocky - fantastic flick. theres a reason its a classic. think it mightve still worked without stallone but man itd be a way worse movie, hes so good at playin just a normal jamoke, he gives rocky so much heart with little gestures and stuff that mustve been ad libbed. i'm so glad th movie ends with him ultimately losing the bout, if hed won itd be a bit too saccharine. he defined winning to himself and he fuckin got there, who cares who leaves with the title. if you dont go fuckin wild at the training montage you dont have any kind of a soul at all. wonderful movie, glad to watch it again. ★★★★

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Rocky

Stallone really is one of the most underrated people in Hollywood, it was mentioned before but it is really astounding that this was his first script and his first leading role ever, and nevertheless it managed to spawn be one of the most critically acclaimed and culturally beloved and relevant movies with a legacy that extends even today with the sequels and spinoffs such as Creed. One thing that really struck me is the similarity to a Manga I've been reading rather recently too, Ashita No Joe/Tomorrow's Joe, both of them dealing with working-class, down in their luck boxers who nevertheless dream big and catch the eyes of veteran trainers who see the potential in them and eventually even get to contend with the strongest fighter in the world with unsurmountable odds. It is a very simple, yet very attractive archetype that can really get you to sympathize and want to root with them.

9/10

oh yeh rocky 1 was insanely popular in japan, like almost more than in the states from what ive heard, the ashita no joe guys been on record saying rocky was a huge inspiration.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

oh yeh rocky 1 was insanely popular in japan, like almost more than in the states from what ive heard, the ashita no joe guys been on record saying rocky was a huge inspiration.

nah, joe came out like 8 years before rocky actually!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

nah, joe came out like 8 years before rocky actually!

whoa, i hd no idea

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lester posted:

if letterboxd is to be believed, collateral is one of my four favourite movies of all time. more than happy to watch it for like the sixteenth time

RIP Ryan O’Neal

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
collateral

this is another case of my ignorance helping me out. never heard of this movie, managed to avoid knowing anything about its plot, didnt even know who directed it, went in, and it pwned

the story is ridiculous, but it doesnt matter that much cause its cool, keeps you guessing, is tense as hell and is also just clever in how it all connects together

jamie foxx is great in this, had a good laugh at mark ruffalo (also good), and the movie gets a big boost for being the only movie ive ever seen where tom cruise plays a villain. he was born to play people like these. he feels so comfortable in the role its insane.

nitpicking but some of the shots felt a bit too much like the bourne movies 2 me. hate that poo poo. i get that the nightclub scene was meant to be confusing on purpose but #toodamnmuch and wtf was the point of that statham cameo anyways? i figured itd play into the movie at some point.

very strong start, very strong finish, hell, just a good rear end movie nearly all the way through, some weaker scenes aside. those 2 hours flew by. michael mann is unstoppable.

4/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
so the hells up with rocky theres like a three minute fight to start the movie and a three minute fight to end it and its a bunch of gay melodrama and talking in between?

2/10

10/10 ive never watched this movie before and it was one of those movies i figured id go my whole life not seeing because i didnt feel a need considering how much of it ive seen reflected in popular media to the point i felt like i had already seen the whole movie

but it was killer, i dont really know how to dissect this movie but its a classic underdog tale and you cheer on rocky for a few hours and then he barely loses the big fight and you dont even feel bad motherfucker went the distance

good poo poo good music good acting i hope rocky drops that shitbag paulie in the later movies idk man just a classic and i was jaded as gently caress going into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

one of the bigger character moments i think is when rocky gets chewed out for not breaking any thumbs, but hes so likeable that his loan shark boss just gives him a pass anyway. but he isnt universally likeable as seen with his suprisingly difficult friendship with paulie. i also think carl weathers really does shine as apollo and really comes off as larger than life in whats honestly a relatively slower and grounded movie. i still cant believe that in rocky 2 he actually takes her to the zoo