Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rolo posted:

I'm betting it's 2 bad roms from the same original source. Scraper can't find either so maybe that's a hint.

I sucked it up and tried more ROMs and found one that works with RAcheevos and doesn't bug out. I guess this game specifically had some anti-piracy code in place so a good bit of ROM versions are crap. Good to know this game happened to stink and it isn't my install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: I say this as someone who made the conscious decision to buy Starfield - at loving launch - on Steam. Because A) I was in the mood for a new bethedsa open world mess and B) I figured the modding community would make it worth owning on something more open than XBGP eventually and I might as well avoid buying it again in the future.

LMAO at my dumb rear end on both counts.

I thought that "Space Skyrim" sounded like it would be a good time, but it turns out that (at least for me) not having the world exist as a single continuous space has a huge negative impact on the experience. I just really dislike having to navigate menus to go anywhere. And even if load times were eliminated, it still destroys any sense of "place" in the game's world.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty nifty

https://x.com/carygolomb/status/1731032537420435820?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Is Chiaki as good as Moonlight?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Animal posted:

Is Chiaki as good as Moonlight?

Well afaik is only for streaming from your ps5 but now that it is going to have HDR support I’m gonna say it’s better!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Chiaki is just for PS4/5 remote play, so it’s a different thing for a different purpose. It is pretty good though, I played a bunch of Wipeout Omega Collection in bed through it.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Reoxygenation posted:

So I'm at my wits end and want some help.

I use my steam deck has a desktop. I really don't do much intense stuff, mostly browsing and playing games - the most intense being GW2 on all low setting (a game that's over 10 years old!!!)

After hours of use, it will start to stutter into a freeze. I thought it might be overheating, but no - I tweaked the fans, and the last time it crashed it didn't even come close to being hot to the touch as it did before.

I have noticed however that the deck tends to freeze when a browser is called (has happened with opening the Trading Post in GW2 which is a web interface) and when browsing with Firefox. This is a relatively new issue. The only real thing I have done is start using Firefox, but this issue has started happening way after I made the swap.

Does anyone have any loving clue what it could be. I feel like if it was my jsaux dock, the issue would've manifested way earlier. I haven't tried to reset the deck yet - I'd like to avoid that - and the deck freezes before I can pull up any diagnostic tool.

I'm truly at a loss, and I feel like if it was defective, issues would've cropped up way earlier than like a year after purchase...

Anyone got any idea what the gently caress could be happening?

Do you have 1) the newest Firefox version 2) any extensions that might be running causing the memory leaks?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Man I love my handheld emulation machine/pc/streaming device. Currently playing through the PS2 Ultimate Spider-Man, just finished up Like a Dragon: Gaiden streaming at 60 fps from my ps5, playing Signalis before falling asleep at night basking in those blackest of blacks.

Kirby's Dreamland 3 looks absolutely GOR-geous.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

minusX posted:

Do you have 1) the newest Firefox version 2) any extensions that might be running causing the memory leaks?

Wasn't the issue, I installed CryoUtilities and it fixed it. Probably a memory leak error unrelated to the web browser I was using. I don't know why specifically this fixed it, but when I would've had 2 crashes I've had none in 12 hours!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there any browser I can install without going to desktop mode

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

Tears of the Kingdom Optimizer has Steam Deck support. On Windows this thing configures Yuzu or Ryujinx for you, and downloads+installs mods to make the game perform or look better. You don't need to mess with SMT (Shin Megami Tensei) or power tools anymore either.

How is this running on deck these days? I feel like the deck never got botw to the point where it was an actual “good” experience, and I feel like TOTK is an even tougher ask of the hardware.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

How is this running on deck these days? I feel like the deck never got botw to the point where it was an actual “good” experience, and I feel like TOTK is an even tougher ask of the hardware.

I can't remember if I tested BotW's Wii U on the Deck or not, but other Wii U games like Xenoblade Chronicles X run very well on the Deck. It's the exact same game as on Switch, graphics and all, so you don't miss out on anything by running the Wii U version but it runs much better.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 3, 2023

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

doesnt accessing your library in game mode for the first time ask if you want to install chrome

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Super No Vacancy posted:

doesnt accessing your library in game mode for the first time ask if you want to install chrome

I dont remember I set this up like a year ago, but I don't see a browser anywhere

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

can't you add a browser to Steam as a game and then boot it up in Game Mode

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

grieving for Gandalf posted:

can't you add a browser to Steam as a game and then boot it up in Game Mode

The greatest game: forum posting.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Saoshyant posted:

The greatest game: forum posting.

Listen, there ain't no greater achievement than an emptyquote

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Reoxygenation posted:

Anyone got any idea what the gently caress could be happening?
GPU driver bug tickled by the edgiest of edge cases.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Boltgun is on sale for 30% off right now. It's a great doomclone that'll run amazing on the Deck's hardware.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It actually doesn’t run amazingly on Deck. In fact, it runs like poo poo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I've not tried it with the latest optimiser but 20-30fps is generally what I got after a bit of tweaking. Not too dissimilar to the experience on Switch but my deck is a home machine so I now just run anything too taxing on my PC and stream to the deck instead :pcgaming:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So like it runs on the Switch then

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It runs fine on the Switch.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah there are a couple of boomer shooters that you’d think/hope/expect would play amazing on Deck but actually don’t.

I played Boltgun exclusively on Deck so it can be done, but it’s chuggier than you’d think. I believe HROT isn’t perfect on Deck either although I haven’t played that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HROT runs well on deck.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Is that a recent thing?

Admittedly I’m going off ProtonDB from months ago. Perhaps it’s time to bump it back up the priority list.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

You have to go to desktop mode to install anything that’s not on the steam store. You can then add it to steam so you can launch it in game mode after that.

Super No Vacancy posted:

What? No.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I feel like chrome came as a default non steam “game” on my deck. This was a few months ago but I do remember being both mildly annoyed and at the same time begrudgingly accepting that it was somewhat useful to have on there.

(Removed and replaced with Firefox)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I mean, I only got a couple of levels in so far on Boltgun, but it runs fine to me?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Me getting up from my office chair is forcing my Deck out of sleep somehow

I thought this kind of thing only happened with monitors

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's because the deck is a handheld. When you get up it's excited to go walkies with you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bumhead posted:

Yeah there are a couple of boomer shooters that you’d think/hope/expect would play amazing on Deck but actually don’t.

I played Boltgun exclusively on Deck so it can be done, but it’s chuggier than you’d think. I believe HROT isn’t perfect on Deck either although I haven’t played that.

HROT ran at single digit FPS on the Deck when I tried it but no doubt somebody was calling that amazing. That was a while ago when the Deck first came out, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It runs great now.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah it does lol

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

Cyrano4747 posted:

I feel like chrome came as a default non steam “game” on my deck. This was a few months ago but I do remember being both mildly annoyed and at the same time begrudgingly accepting that it was somewhat useful to have on there.

(Removed and replaced with Firefox)

I seem to remember this being the case with my launch Steam Deck LCD.

Or there was a shortcut while in Gaming Mode that eased the install without going to Desktop Mode.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it asks if you want to install it and add a shortcut the first time you tab to non-steam games

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

turns out you double post if the awful app crashes

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Does EmuDeck come with an emulator/RetroArch Core that will emulate the NeoGeo CD?

E: 2nd, unrelated question: How do I find the Steam Deck equivalent of the game install path, to install a dll fix?

I'm trying to install the following fix for Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising: https://github.com/Lyall/EiyudenChronicleRisingFix/releases

The instructions say to copy the files to:

code:
"steamapps\common\Eiyuden Chronicle Rising"
but I'm not sure where that is.

I looked up some instructions online, and found the following folder on the Deck:

code:
"/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/1658290/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/"
but I don't see any game files.

E: further exploring, and I found it. The guide I found was full of poo poo, the games are at

code:
/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/
not the "compatdata" folder.

Annath fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 3, 2023

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Super No Vacancy posted:

it asks if you want to install it and add a shortcut the first time you tab to non-steam games

Weird, that didn’t happen to me on either the LCD or OLED decks. I use that tab frequently, because I have a bunch of non-steam stuff installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 16, 2024