Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

viriditas
Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Multiple exclamation marks, a sure sign of a diseased mind :eng99:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Celeriac is the shittest vegetable. Imagine the taste of celery but with the consistency of potato or swede. Nightmare stuff.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

Celeriac is the shittest vegetable. Imagine the taste of celery but with the consistency of potato or swede. Nightmare stuff.

Makes good soup to be fair

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

I'm glad that I'm normal and so can enjoy the normal tastes of normal foods and know that coriander is good, cucumber is OK, sprouts are fine and celery is disgusting trash.

What is celery even for? People keep putting it in stews and stocks and stuff, and I'm pretty sure that they would all be improved by just not adding the celery in the first place.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What is celery even for? People keep putting it in stews and stocks and stuff, and I'm pretty sure that they would all be improved by just not adding the celery in the first place.

Congratulations on uncovering the false narrative at the bedrock of all French and Italian cuisine

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

As the thread's resident food expert, I feel I should weigh in: broccoli good, sprouts good, coriander bad, celery good if cooked well (like in gumbo)

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Always found it weird that Celery is one of the major allergens but I've never met anyone other than me who has an allergy or intolerance.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Sprouts, broccoli, coriander, cucumber and celery are all good imo. I made braised celery recently, came out pretty nice. Celery simmered in garlic and stock.

The thing that ruins food for me is cumin. Awful sweaty taste. Annoyingly I can detect minuscule quantities of cumin or cumin-like flavours.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

please don't cumin my food thanks

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol an old Facebook memory

Can't sleep? We got you fam

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

please don't cumin my food thanks

talking of which - the smell of "celery seed" - the smell has its place but NOT on food. :barf:

You may infer what smell I refer to by the fact I'm quoting this particular post.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

smellmycheese posted:

His exact words were 'I know it's stupid but I'm not going to eat that salad. Not even for £50 because I don't eat salad'.

So he knowingly forfeited the challenge.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Cumin definitely has to be used intentionally. It's not just a "chuck it in" type of flavour.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Ukmt: join for the politics, stay for the food weirds.

I'm having difficulty processing how much of a complete poo poo Starmer is. Just actually genuinely angry. Christ.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

killerwhat posted:

Sprouts, broccoli, coriander, cucumber and celery are all good imo. I made braised celery recently, came out pretty nice. Celery simmered in garlic and stock.

The thing that ruins food for me is cumin. Awful sweaty taste. Annoyingly I can detect minuscule quantities of cumin or cumin-like flavours.

Was recently reading that Brussels Sprouts taste different now than a decade or two ago, they have bred out the slight bitter taste it used to have.
Celery is great for a soup or stew as a filler that doesn't alter the taste much.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Celery is good for transporting dip because of the natural scoopy shape and very satisfying cronch

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jippa posted:

Cumin definitely has to be used intentionally. It's not just a "chuck it in" type of flavour.

Well, it is if you're doing either Indian or Mexican food, tbf.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Cumin is great, cumin in everything on my house.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Dinner has i-cumin in
Lewdly sing cuckoo

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Jippa posted:

It would be a very difficult recipe if it required you to use cumin accidentally

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When u accidentally cumin the soup

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

When she chilli but you keep cumin

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

killerwhat posted:

The thing that ruins food for me is cum

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dried coriander: :kiss:

Fresh coriander: :barf:

Genetics is weird. :ohdear:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I am so loving upset, At the next election I will basically have 3 brands of Tory and 2 brands of racists choose from (You could easily argue for adding the Torys into the racist pile too)...

Who on earth am I supposed to vote for? I want the Tories gone so badly and that means voting Labour but I honestly have no desire to put Starmer in power, especially after he unironically praised Thatcher publicly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wouldn't stress too much about it, if someone tells you you have to choose between getting hit in the face or the dick it doesn't become your fault that someone is hitting you in one of them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

FiftySeven posted:

I am so loving upset, At the next election I will basically have 3 brands of Tory and 2 brands of racists choose from (You could easily argue for adding the Torys into the racist pile too)...

Who on earth am I supposed to vote for? I want the Tories gone so badly and that means voting Labour but I honestly have no desire to put Starmer in power, especially after he unironically praised Thatcher publicly.

Who are the racist parties in your area? Not sure whether Reform or BNP-Lite will stand in mine unless you include PC because they're nationalist rather than racist?

I'm going to go either Green or Plaid Cymru (though they're a nationalist party), more because I think it's time the big 2 (for some reason the LibDems fail to impinge upon my consciousness) had a psephological* kick in the goolies.

*not sure of a better word though not sure this is a correct use.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Weirdly, you can at least credit Thatcher for having a plan she was working towards. It didn't work, was needlessly cruel and has had a crippling decades-long impact on the country as a whole, but she actually believed that her job as Prime Minister involved having a long-term plan.

What can you say about Starmer? The man who's reneged on every promise he's made since declaring his interest in running for Labour leader? The manifesto - when it arrives - won't be worth the paper it's printed on, or the hard-drive space on a server. Just pages and pages of bullshit spelling out one core message:

Keith Sterner posted:

VOTE FOR ME

Just one big political goatse from a prolapsed anus of a man.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Who are the racist parties in your area? Not sure whether Reform or BNP-Lite will stand in mine unless you include PC because they're nationalist rather than racist?

I'm going to go either Green or Plaid Cymru (though they're a nationalist party), more because I think it's time the big 2 (for some reason the LibDems fail to impinge upon my consciousness) had a psephological* kick in the goolies.

*not sure of a better word though not sure this is a correct use.

The Yorkshire Party, Reform UK and the Tories.

I just cant. I wouldnt normally feel too bad about voting for Yvette Cooper as my local, I always had a reasonable amount of respect for her, but shes definitely not my brand of Labor either...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

kick in the goolies.
Is that the regional demonym for people from Goole?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

If you want something more depressing I am convinced we are looking at PM Farage in 6 years time

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't vote then. Go and spoil your ballot. You aren't obligated to rubber stamp giving these people power just because they turned up and paid the deposit.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

FiftySeven posted:

The Yorkshire Party,

I don't know anything about them, what racist stuff have they done?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Very cool living in a 1 party state

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Solefald posted:

Always found it weird that Celery is one of the major allergens but I've never met anyone other than me who has an allergy or intolerance.

If I eat celery it makes my tongue and throat swell and it tastes like poison

If it's cooked I just get the poison taste but not the swelling

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I am fully in expectation that I'll be scrawling ALL USELESS poo poo FASCIST BASTARDS across my ballot paper next time around.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't know anything about them, what racist stuff have they done?

Puddings rather than Gammons

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I am fully in expectation that I'll be scrawling ALL USELESS poo poo FASCIST BASTARDS across my ballot paper next time around.

Wasn't there a famous case of a protest vote like this being counted for the tories because part of the message was neatly in the box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
i think there was a spoiled vote where a swastika was counted as a cross because it was neatly in the fash party box.