Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Lord Lambeth posted:

There isn't a single ethnicity holding power within israel and freedom of religion is explicitly codified into israeli laws.

Except that 2 million people living under the Israeli government are explicitly excluded from that power in order to preserve a single ethnic group's control of government.

any claim that Israel is a democracy has to come with a pretty massive asterisk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

There isn't a single ethnicity holding power within israel

Not only is this not the reality -

quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/27/world/middleeast/israel-apartheid-palestinians-hrw.html

On Tuesday, Human Rights Watch released a 213-page report arguing that Israel pursues a policy of ethnic supremacy that favors Israeli Jews over Palestinians in both Israel and the occupied territories.

The main reason for the change, said Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch, was that Israeli policy, once considered temporary, had over time hardened into a permanent condition.

it is not even the official policy of the Israeli state:

quote:

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Read-the-full-Jewish-Nation-State-Law-562923

The state of Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish people, in which it fulfills its natural, religious, and historic right to self-determination.

The fulfillment of the right of national self-determination in the State of Israel is unique to the Jewish people.

The state views Jewish settlement as a national value and will labor to encourage and promote its establishment and development.

Unless you mean "Israel isn't the antebellum American South, Palestinians do have some level of formal legal entitlement." That's true. But it is a highly, brutally unequal society, along explicitly ethnic lines, and this is rooted in the ideology that built the state and exhibiting its most brutal expression right now.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 2, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The problem with the policies is that they're aimed at creating an exclusive homeland for a particular ethnicity, where "homeland" is understood to mean "the government is necessarily primarily concerned with the welfare of people of this ethnicity." The attempt to build a homeland on land inhabited by other people - settler colonialism - has not -gone- morally wrong, it -is- morally wrong.

The idea you reference that "a Jewish homeland somewhere would still be needed" is indeed tremendously popular among Jewish people. I just got back from lunch at a synagogue and a I'm confident that everyone there, except for me, would've agreed with that idea. If you asked them to elaborate, of course there's be differences of opinion but I think the heart of it is a belief that liberal democracy is unable to protect Jewish people except in a country where the vast majority of the population is Jewish, and which is dominant in local geopolitics. And therefore, in the name of establishing a safe country for Jews, Israel has the right to act illiberally or undemocratically until it achieves the correct demographic balance and geopolitical superiority in its region.

I think it goes without saying that there are key problems in this line of thought and that the practical end of it is grotesque - what we are currently seeing in Gaza. To reject it is not ethnic or national prejudice.

Again if we are going to worry about the struggle against the Israeli state becoming prejudiced - although so far it's the anti-Palestinain campaign n the West which is actually killing people - the first concern should be prejudice against Israeli Jews, which might expand out to Jews in general. I've seen very little invective against Jews in general (lovely Twitter accounts and graffiti) but a lot more invective against Israelis which was nationally chauvinistic.

Why would it require geopolitical superiority in the entire region?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Pvt. Parts posted:

Neighboring governments reacting to popular disgust at ethnic cleansing, probably.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
It's amazing that people can even try for that sort of denial. I'm sure the logic attempted here is that "Eastern European, African, Middle Eastern, and Western European are all different ethnicities", but that's a completely pointless quibble. Israel has an official policy declaring who it considers to be "Jewish" with a pretty high bar - it's not possible to get the box checked just by saying you are.

Even if we were to accept that it doesn't represent an "ethnicity", it probably comprises a "race" - not because it follows the pseudo-scientific logic about skin tone or heritage to the letter, but because it is a deliberately exclusionary category that exists to define the in and out groups of society. It isn't like "White" means the same thing to people across all times and geography - the point of "White" is to define UNacceptable targets, the people who can't be denied service or deported or have their rights violated. There can be a pecking order within that identity, and there is both in the US and in Israel, but the point is to have a bulwark, a division between people inside the castle walls and outside when the race war starts.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Pvt. Parts posted:

Basically, the Six-Day War.

To be clear you're asking a question about my description of what liberal Zionists believe, so I'll have to answer as a liberal Zionist: the safety of the Jews is the safety of their state and the safety of their state is geopolitical superiority in the region. Otherwise all Israel's neighbors would team up, boot the Jews out, and split up the land.

Practically speaking I do think it's correct that colonies are in danger for as long as they generate local outrage and provide an easy political-cultural line across which non-colony neighbor-states can align against them. To be immune to that danger demands local geopolitical superiority - if you're just one country among the rest, you're actually one country hated by the rest.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 2, 2023

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Pvt. Parts posted:

It's as if you can't tell what is happening inside or around a building just by looking at it. People look at images and video of war and mis-frame it (which is good in a way, war is becoming less and less of a norm globally). Civility has already broken down, that's why a war has broken out. The goal of war, as hellish as it is, is to completely dismantle the enemy's will to fight and to limit the casualties on your own side. It's not a game. You don't want to ensure a fair fight. So it's not dropping bombs indiscriminately on civilians, which in this video would look like the onlookers running away being pulverized. But it is destroying the war machine of the other side -- which may include infrastructure, and horribly in this conflict, even civilian infrastructure -- until it grinds to a halt.
I know you think this is some kind of realist wisdom, but you’re justifying literally every war crime ever committed and flat-out ignoring that human decision makers implement ethnic cleansing campaigns for bad psychological and social reasons.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 2, 2023

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

Except that 2 million people living under the Israeli government are explicitly excluded from that power in order to preserve a single ethnic group's control of government.

any claim that Israel is a democracy has to come with a pretty massive asterisk.

it's impossible to make the point that israel is a country with many different ethnicities, I guess?

I have jewish cousins who are iraqi. There's been an enormous amount of immigration of jews from muslim lands. the entire jewish population of yemen fleed to israel.

Freedom of religion is one of the fundamental laws of israel as a country, although how they implement it is another question.

How Israel treats Palestinian people is a separate thing which I wasn't really addressing, but I'm not trying to downplay the inhumanity which they have been subject to.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This is in a country which has 7m Muslims and 7m Jews (Palestine included as there certainly has been no 2 state solution).

I don't think you can really claim that Muslim inhabitants of lands under Israeli rule are fairly represented, with 10 seats out of 120.

This being, of course, why people are calling it apartheid.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 2, 2023

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Lord Lambeth posted:

it's impossible to make the point that israel is a country with many different ethnicities, I guess?

I have jewish cousins who are iraqi. There's been an enormous amount of immigration of jews from muslim lands. the entire jewish population of yemen fleed to israel.

Freedom of religion is one of the fundamental laws of israel as a country, although how they implement it is another question.

How Israel treats Palestinian people is a separate thing which I wasn't really addressing, but I'm not trying to downplay the inhumanity which they have been subject to.

People can and often do belong to multiple ethnicities, both self-identified and assigned. This should be pretty self-apparent - you are talking about an ethnicity as defined by country of origin, but people can also be, for example, Iraqi and Kurdish. In the US, "Hispanic or Latino" is frequently tracked, but people with that identity can also be Central American or South American, and even more specifically Peruvian or Columbian or what-have-you. Even within those identities, people might identify as European-descended, identify with a native population, or as mestizo.

Do you think South Africa was an ethnostate to the degree that it wasn't possible to be French or British or Dutch or whatever? Its completely possible to be both an explicit ethnostate and still contain many ethnicities, even to have a diversity of ethnicities within the in-group. The important part of an ethnostate is not that it is dominated by exactly one unitary ethnicity, but that it DENIES power to people based on what ethnicities they are or aren't categorically.

Edit: here's another thing to consider - in the US at various points there have been lines drawn such as the "one-drop" rule. In Jewish tradition the rule is usually matrilineal descent - it's arcane, it may even mean that you only have 1/2048 of the supposedly Jewish genetics, but it is still fundamentally being used as the basis for what rights you may or may not have. Just because it is "one drop and you are in" instead of "one drop and you are out" doesn't make it any less disgusting to codify it in a legal and governmental system.

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 2, 2023

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

BougieBitch posted:

People can and often do belong to multiple ethnicities, both self-identified and assigned. This should be pretty self-apparent - you are talking about an ethnicity as defined by country of origin, but people can also be, for example, Iraqi and Kurdish. In the US, "Hispanic of Latino" is frequently tracked, but people with that identity can also be Central American or South American, and even more specifically Peruvian or Columbian or what-have-you. Even within those identities, people might identify as European-descended, identify with a native population, or as mestizo.

Do you think South Africa was an ethnostate to the degree that it wasn't possible to be French or British or Dutch or whatever? Its completely possible to be both an explicit ethnostate and still contain many ethnicities, even to have a diversity of ethnicities within the in-group. The important part of an ethnostate is not that it is dominated by exactly one unitary ethnicity, but that it DENIES power to people based on what ethnicities they are or aren't categorically.

Fair point. I was just attempting to clarify my position.

Private Speech posted:

This is in a country which has 7m Muslims and 7m Jews (Palestine included as there certainly has been no 2 state solution).

I don't think you can really claim that Muslim inhabitants of lands under Israeli rule are fairly represented, with 10 seats out of 120.

This being, of course, why people are calling it apartheid.

It is super clear to me that there is something rotting in israel's democracy, there's no doubt about that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lord Lambeth posted:

There isn't a single ethnicity holding power within israel and freedom of religion is explicitly codified into israeli laws.

Oh come on

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Edit: wrong thread. I'm going to unbookmark this one I think.

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 3, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Pvt. Parts posted:

It's as if you can't tell what is happening inside or around a building just by looking at it. People look at images and video of war and mis-frame it (which is good in a way, war is becoming less and less of a norm globally). Civility has already broken down, that's why a war has broken out. The goal of war, as hellish as it is, is to completely dismantle the enemy's will to fight and to limit the casualties on your own side. It's not a game. You don't want to ensure a fair fight. So it's not dropping bombs indiscriminately on civilians, which in this video would look like the onlookers running away being pulverized. But it is destroying the war machine of the other side -- which may include infrastructure, and horribly in this conflict, even civilian infrastructure -- until it grinds to a halt.

What if the IDF doesn't know what's going on in those buildings? Would it still be ok to flatten them?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
No, are you crazy? They're not a legitimate target like a hospital or refugee camp, or school.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Charliegrs posted:

What if the IDF doesn't know what's going on in those buildings? Would it still be ok to flatten them?

Gonna go with no. edit: myself and others in this thread have talked about the onus being on Israel to make their homework public and prove to the world that they are taking reasonable measures to not kill civilians who pose no threat to them. I'm not sure how that kind of intel interacts with an ongoing war and won't pretend to know the first thing about it.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 3, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

Gonna go with no. edit: myself and others in this thread have talked about the onus being on Israel to make their homework public and prove to the world that they are taking reasonable measures to not kill civilians who pose no threat to them. I'm not sure how that kind of intel interacts with an ongoing war and won't pretend to know the first thing about it.

Now, I ain't no fancy pants intel analyst, but destroying nearly 100,000 buildings and killing primarily women and children at a 7:3 ratio isn't "oops my dog ate my homework" levels of fuckup. It's "Israeli leadership gets a one way ticket to the Hague."

Edit: By any rational scale of crimes against humanity, if Hamas are a terrorist organization, Likud is all the bad guys from James Bond combined multiplied by ISIS.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 3, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's really obvious to me that Israel is intentionally targeting civilians. There have been far too many dead to believe otherwise.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It's really obvious to me that Israel is intentionally targeting civilians. There have been far too many dead to believe otherwise.

I think this is being too generous. It implies that Israel is at least doing some kind of targeting. Israel is erasing an entire country indescriminately, block by block.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I always see people say "hey at least they warn them sometimes when they level the apartment buildings", but doesn't that make it worse? Because if there was a legitimate target in the building then they escaped but if there wasn't then why are you leveling blocks of apartment buildings?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

E2M2 posted:

I always see people say "hey at least they warn them sometimes when they level the apartment buildings", but doesn't that make it worse? Because if there was a legitimate target in the building then they escaped but if there wasn't then why are you leveling blocks of apartment buildings?
By 'warning' I think they have been given maybe an hour to evacuate buildings with several hundred people in them

But yes it's very clear that Israel is going to just level all of Gaza, then say 'well I'm sorry guys, you are just going to have to either live in the desert or go to Egypt now because you have nowhere to go'

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Are we ever going to see an ICC war crimes arrest mandate for Netanyahu or is everyone just too coward?

It's not like it did anything for Putin but at least it made a lot of people agree on who was the bad guy.

I mean, they could have a dual mandate for Hamas and Netanyahu for all I care - if it helps to save face.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/AJArabic/status/1731195838926303435https://twitter.com/AJArabic/status/1731211934031106188

quote:

عاجل# | Al-Qassam Brigades: A large number of occupation soldiers were killed after detonating explosive devices at a position of 60 soldiers east of Juhr al-Dik.

quote:

Al-Qassam Brigades announce the killing of a large number of occupation soldiers after detonating explosive devices at their position east of Juhr al-Dik

No video evidence, as far as I'm aware, but they're pushing this story pretty hard; it's shown up at a couple of MEastern news orgs so far. It's a significant leap from what Hamas usually claims to have hit (in fact I think they usually just say things along the lines of "we dispatched a group of soldiers in this building" when referring to actual IDF casualties).

60 would absolutely be on the high side, but I also imagine that the ceasefire has been more advantageous for Hamas intelligence than the other way around: I can't imagine the average IDF soldier has much experience discretely sitting in the middle of a city full of people who can actually harm you, and the ceasefire meant they couldn't go tunnel exploring beyond noting entrances. One side's' had nearly twenty years to develop doctrine around avoiding sniper fire and bombing runs, the other is raising a giant steel menorah atop the roof of multi-level public utilities.

They also seem to be getting more aggressive in general if their announcements are anything to go by; perhaps they want to send a message that North Gaza is not neutralized, both for demoralization purposes & to drag resources away from sieging South Gaza.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Someone asked upthread about what America can do with Israeli settlers who clearly break international law. Looks like Biden wants to impose visa bans on at least some of them.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-impose-visa-bans-soon-israeli-extremist-settlers-west-bank-violence-2023-12-01/

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

go play outside Skyler posted:

Are we ever going to see an ICC war crimes arrest mandate for Netanyahu or is everyone just too coward?

It's not like it did anything for Putin but at least it made a lot of people agree on who was the bad guy.

I mean, they could have a dual mandate for Hamas and Netanyahu for all I care - if it helps to save face.
The main difference as I understand it is that Ukraine is an ICC member and was willing to co-operate with their investigation into Russian war crimes. Palestine has signed up to the ICC, but that was the PA and Hamas is very unlikely to co-operate with them given that they're also openly committing war crimes such as taking civilian hostages as part of their basic MO. That said I do think it's clear that war crimes are being committed by Israel in the West Bank so those really should be investigated and charged.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The main difference as I understand it is that Ukraine is an ICC member and was willing to co-operate with their investigation into Russian war crimes. Palestine has signed up to the ICC, but that was the PA and Hamas is very unlikely to co-operate with them given that they're also openly committing war crimes such as taking civilian hostages as part of their basic MO. That said I do think it's clear that war crimes are being committed by Israel in the West Bank so those really should be investigated and charged.

Ukraine is not a member. They were willing to cooperate because it was a pretty open and poo poo case where Russia brazenly bragged about doing the crime and promising to continue to do it. There wasn't really a possibility of ICC finding something that would compromise Ukraine, so there was no reason not to cooperate.

ICC is already investigating war crimes committed by Israel in Gaza and other occupied territories, as well as the October 7 attack.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I didn't see this posted so:

Haaretz posted:

The Israeli soldiers who killed two terrorists on the outskirts of Jerusalem on Thursday also shot and killed a civilian at the scene, according to footage of the attack published on social media.

The victim was named as Yuval Doron Kastelman, 38 from Mevasseret Tzion, a attorney working for the Civil Service Commission. According to his family, he was driving to work when he noticed the attack on the other side of the road. He got out of his vehicle, armed with his licensed firearm, to engage the terrorists.

In the video, Kastelman is seen raising his hands and begging the soldiers not to shoot – after which he is shot and falls to the ground.

The footage clearly shows that he was hit in the stomach. He was rushed to the hospital in critical condition and later died of his wounds. The police said they are aware of the situation and that it is being investigated.

Another video from the scene of the attack shows shots fired at a civilian who shot one of the terrorists from close range.

In the video, the same civilian is seen throwing away his weapon after shooting the terrorist, raising his hands in the air and taking off his coat to show that he is unarmed. It is unclear if this is the same civilian who was wounded or someone else. [my note: it was later found that it is].

National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir announced at the scene of the attack that his solution to terrorism is to continue the policy of distributing weapons to civilians. "I am calling on the citizens of Israel, policemen aren't everywhere, therefore where the citizens have weapons, it can save lives," said Ben-Gvir.

Since the outbreak of the war, thousands of firearms have been distributed to civilians and more than 20,000 new licenses to carry weapons have been issued. One of the main concerns about allowing weapons in the hands of untrained civilians is that this could lead to crossfires, similar to what happened today.

Three Israelis were killed and six others were wounded in the shooting attack in Jerusalem. The terrorists, two Palestinian brothers from the East Jerusalem neighborhood of East Jerusalem, were shot dead. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...cd-3f6fb6a30000

tldr; there was a shooting in Jerusalem which killed and injured a few civilians. A guy with a licensed firearm engaged the shooters, and later tossed his firearm away and raised his arms only to be shot by soldiers.

And Bibi's response:

quote:

“As soon as you distribute weapons in larger numbers, these cases can happen,” Netanyahu declared at a press conference on Saturday evening at which he expressed support for National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir’s policy of significantly increasing the number of weapons permits being issued to civilians.

“We know that in waves of terrorism in the last decade, the presence of armed citizens saved the situation and prevented a major disaster. This has happened dozens of times. Therefore, I think that in the current situation we should continue with this policy – I definitely support it. We may pay a price for it, that's life,” he said.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...ce-affd318e0000

Very much a "well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my actions" vibe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was just reading about that story this morning and it's really hosed. The guy did everything possible to avoid getting killed by the cops and they just shot him dead with no second thought.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
It's clear they have a policy to shoot people who have surrendered. It's only newsworthy because he was Israeli.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was just reading about that story this morning and it's really hosed. The guy did everything possible to avoid getting killed by the cops and they just shot him dead with no second thought.

Completely true except he wasn't shot by militarized cops, he was shot by the actual military - IDF reservists.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

well he could have been Palestinian ok?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's not the first time the "good guy with the gun" gets shot by arriving cops. I don't think it's necessarily proof of anything.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/560798-police-chief-hails-good-guy-with-a-gun-after-officer-kills/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

I wouldn't say this is really right. It's a rather outdated perspective that doesn't really line up with where current international law stands on warfare. A good chunk of the current laws of war exist because "completely dismantle the enemy's will to fight [and] limit the casualties on your own side" was so horrifyingly brutal to civilian populations that the international community decided to put very strict restrictions on ever pulling that kind of poo poo again.

I'd say a more accurate take on the goal of war, as conceived of by international law, is something like "destroy the enemy's ability to militarily resist in an organized fashion, while minimizing civilian casualties". Militaries might not agree with you, but international war of law is written to ban this stuff precisely because what militaries want to do is at cross-purposes with what's morally or internationally acceptable.

For example, minimizing civilian casualties often means putting your own troops at risk. Bombarding any potentially dubious building with airstrikes is typically the safest move for your own soldiers, while also being basically the most dangerous move for civilians short of using WMDs. That's exactly why international law strongly discourages said tactics, because the real-world incentives military leaders are usually under tend to make civilian death preferable to troop death, which is exactly the opposite of what international law wants to happen.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Historically, killing a bunch of civilians has not been too useful for destroying an insurgency's "will to fight" either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is what happens when you arm an entire countries civilian population. Israel is going to make America look tame in comparison when Israeli's take their frustrations out on each other after the genocide is over.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

That's not the first time the "good guy with the gun" gets shot by arriving cops. I don't think it's necessarily proof of anything.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/560798-police-chief-hails-good-guy-with-a-gun-after-officer-kills/

The details are a little different. The police shot John Hurley in the back without identifying themselves because they are cowards who hid while the gunman killed their coworker. The IDF soldier shot a man who was clearly unarmed and was pleading for his life because the soldier is a murderer who wanted to get his first kill.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I said come in! posted:

This is what happens when you arm an entire countries civilian population. Israel is going to make America look tame in comparison when Israeli's take their frustrations out on each other after the genocide is over.

This is an odd way to put your takeaway and makes some odd assumptions. The first one is that Israel will successfully complete its ethnic cleansing of South Gaza, which is unfortunately a possibility but not a foregone conclusion.

I actually have a way to poke at data for this, I think. If a significant portion of IDF soldiers are looking to do murders to whoever is available for the sake of doing murders (e: clearly it's a thing for a portion, if the interview floating around is accurately translated and/or because it's an inevitable demographic in a large enough military, and they institutionally are fine with killing Palestinians but it's a leap from that to what you're saying), we should probably see a major uptick in murder rates after ceasefires. i was actually trying to find domestic violence data but i guess overall murder rate works too

palestinian casualties by year:

murder rate in israel by year:

eyeball assessment: maybe there's a weak correlation, actually, but i don't think it really matches the idea that IDF soldiers need to get their murder on one way or the other and they'll go on a spree in Israel if they have to

for comparison, the american murder rate in 2022 was 6.3 per 100k

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 3, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
also private gun ownership in israel is very very far from universal, you don't keep your idf gun when you're not in active idf service

which, yes, presumably helps with the murder rate

punishedkissinger posted:

well he could have been Palestinian ok?

there's an interview floating around twitter with the soldier who shot him (i mean, allegedly with the soldier, but it looks like a channel 14 thing and the guy i first saw is a credible enough source that he's probably not completely full of poo poo) but I've only seen snippets of the translation and can't verify those snippets

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 3, 2023

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

I said come in! posted:

there's been several stories on ynet, who I refuse to link on principal, that idf soldiers are being lured into ambushes by an ipod, some wifi speakers and the sounds of children playing soccer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thlom
Feb 24, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

The West Bank and Gaza exists as political and geographic entities because Israel is a jewish ethnostate and they can't allow a one-state solution in which Palestinians exist in the state on the same terms as jews as that would mean Israel would cease to be a jewish ethnostate tomorrow. They can tolerate a few palestinians in east Jerusalem as long as they are only a minority.