Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

it doesn't mean anything other than a personal anecdote but I was at my storage unit today for the first time in awhile picking up Christmas decorations and man, a solid 1/2 of units seem to be vacant which is pretty crazy and dire. I had a very minor waitlist when I signed up back in 2017 and has always been a solid 90%+ occupancy up until now. also funny enough, my storage rent has barely budged in like the 8 years i've been there, started off at $40 back in 2017 and is only $50/mo in 2023, which is very reasonable for how relatively large it is. self storage units like these also tends to be mostly lower-income people so I don't know if all the low-income people have been swept away or what

I was looking up REITs today and apparently there are REITs that solely rent to those storage unit companies

Wonder how they're doing these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Tars Tarkas posted:

lol I can't get past the "Not a robot" security check I keep clicking on motorcycles and stairs but it keeps saying I failed, good times

this is a DNS issue, check your browser settings and make sure it's not internally switching (there's a setting in Firefox that does it over https and bypasses your systems dns settings, turn that off)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

PoundSand posted:

It's cause it's sweeter. Lactose free milk is made with enzymes added that essentially pre-digest the lactose for you, and what it's broken down into is sugar.

e: incidentally I recall watching a youtube cooking video about making your own oatmilk that uses this method too. The commercial stuff is sweater and more full bodied or w/e compared to trying to do it with like a blender and sieve because they also use enzymes to partially digest the stuff, breaking down the complex carbs into sugars. It's possible to do at home too of course, but if you've ever tried following simple online recipes and found that what you ended up was nothing like what you bought in the store it's why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngkZu4g8Lmc

I made oat milk a few times during the pandemic when I couldn't get any milk of any kind, and while the homemade stuff was nice and worked for what it needed to do (plus it is as an excuse to use the leftover oatmeal mash to make cookies), it was different from the stuff you get at the store and I could never figure out why

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this is a DNS issue, check your browser settings and make sure it's not internally switching (there's a setting in Firefox that does it over https and bypasses your systems dns settings, turn that off)

:cheers: was wondering what was going on with archive.ph the past week or two.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

megabrain take?

nah.

gigabrain take?

no.

bigger.

give me something bigger.

https://twitter.com/gave_vincent/status/1731022595259314665

:suicide:

edit:

https://twitter.com/gave_vincent/status/1646886017541230592?t=wyxNBkfOcEnQZ4bmGfSTjA&s=19

https://twitter.com/gelberer_Gamer/status/1680810385211785217?t=wyxNBkfOcEnQZ4bmGfSTjA&s=19

https://twitter.com/gelberer_Gamer/status/1662025059748159489?t=FNRU71HEzn95fUe8WQ4IVg&s=19

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 10:05 on Dec 3, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

BULBASAUR posted:

I can't wait to eventually get out of here.

PNW just kinda sucks. Too many tech workers moved here, and everything is expensive now. It was nice growing up here before Seattle got gutted but it's unrecognizable now. Nature stuff is the best part but even that is getting crowded and diminished.

err has issued a correction as of 11:37 on Dec 3, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Capitalist societies just seem to hate that they have humans in them.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

skooma512 posted:

https://novum.substack.com/p/living-in-a-time-of-psychopolitics

Living in a Time of Psychopolitics
How an idea by philosopher Byung-Chul Han helps us reframe our world

In the early 1970s, psychologist Herbert Freudenberger wrote of a condition he was seeing more and more among his patients: emotional exhaustion coupled with a loss of motivation and commitment. He called it “burnout” — borrowing a term initially used in the underground by those suffering severe withdrawal from drug abuse.1

It quickly caught on both clinically and among everyday people, helped by Freudenberger’s autobiographical style in describing it. He had experienced the condition himself in bouts. But more importantly, the diagnosis came at a critical time in American society as it was transitioning to a more “post-industrial” way of life, yet another term coined around the same time.2 Americans were graduating in greater numbers and increasingly pursuing knowledge-based work in offices, which was especially susceptible to stress and psychological ailments.3

The “burnout” of professionals in a “post-industrial” society: the two ideas were clearly linked. They also provided a window into the new era, one that was loosely being called the “Information Age.” The immediate relevance of Freudenberger’s ideas was obvious, and would soon be made into wellness questionnaires by psychologist Christina Maslach and others. By the 1980s, corporate management realized this malady was here to stay and began to craft methods specifically for dealing with demotivated labor.

These developments have since had time to deepen and mature, and today are more relevant than ever. In the last two years, many workers have resigned, often suddenly, due to a lack of fulfillment and burnout in what’s been called the “Great Resignation.” These familiar sentiments are the starting point for philosopher Byung-Chul Han’s writings which have grown popular as of late.

In his 2017 work Psychopolitics, Han writes of how power today has grown reliant on manipulating psychological states, uniquely made possible by technologies of control. Its symptoms are of the mind, like burnout and diseases of despair, coupled with addiction and compulsion. Understanding psychopolitics helps us to reframe the time in which we live, where one’s mental state has become a leading place of conflict.

Life Under Psychopolitics

Psychopolitics opens with an ominous statement: “freedom will prove to have been merely an interlude," something that's most felt when "passing from one way of living to another."4 Byung-Chul Han views the current situation as the turning of a new page, whose psychological ailments constitute a “profound crisis of freedom." The forces responsible operate on a level which he calls “psychopolitics.”

While Byung-Chul Han writes clearly, he also has a tendency to write aphoristically, very much in the style of a pamphlet. He is best known for his social diagnoses, writing often on themes like alienation, burnout, and how market demands have broken up the social fabric. Psychopolitics itself is a collection of short essays and a distillation of his worldview.

The book, however, is not historical by any means which may confuse the reader over how any of this is unique to our time. After all, psychological techniques on the unconscious, either in the realm of politics or markets, have been used to great effect since the early 20th century. For example, can fascism be called a form of psychopolitics? It certainly relied on mass psychology.

Psychopolitics is not "psychology applied to politics," though. Han describes psychopolitics as a new stage in how we relate to power, made possible by online life. Long ago, in agrarian societies of the past, power was exercised by the sword and threat of death.5 In succeeding industrial societies, power was exercised not by the threat of death, but by discipline and regulation over life. It needed to efficiently manage the physical bodies needed for production.6 Now in post-industrial societies, power is exercised by allowing individuals to exploit themselves in an open, transparent, and increasingly zero-sum environment. Rather than controlling bodies, Han argues psychopolitics is mainly about souls and minds.7

Because sentiment travels fastest in the digital realm, Han likens psychopolitics to a "dictatorship of emotion" in its ability to manipulate desire and opinion.8 In such an environment, "freedom switches over to compulsion" and addiction is rampant.9 Participation is easily reduced to grievance and complaint.10 Grand narratives of the future that used to motivate the past break down.11 This is because there is no longer a "political we" like before nor are there clear classes of mutual antagonism, Han argues.12 Instead, a world dominated by psychopolitics produces a constant "inner struggle against oneself."13 The boundaries between work and leisure weaken as well.14 And trust altogether declines because “the more we are confronted with information, the more our suspicion grows.”15

The ideal subject for psychopolitics according to Han is the always-optimizing "self-entrepreneur" who is unable to form relationships "free of purpose."16 Such social relationships, he argues, would ideally be the basis for healthy, non-coercive freedom. Psychopolitics tends to instead produce generalized anti-sociality.

Han’s writing tends to cut through the noise with concise insight, and I don’t want to quote the entire book here. But what is most convincing about his view is how abundantly clear its symptoms are.

In a previous post, I have already covered the ongoing “social recession” and community decline. Still, there are other signs we live in psychopolitical times: random acts of anti-social violence; deep democratic discontentment17; historical amnesia and memory loss18; and an unprecedented rise in mental illnesses like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, insomnia, and attention-deficit disorders.19

In many ways, it is evident we are living in a psychopolitical time, one especially susceptible to maladies of the mind and soul. A quote for today ought to be “protect me from what I want,” a phrase Han borrows from artist Jenny Holzer.

Byung-Chul Han’s Dystopia

While these are all pressing problems in their own right, what really strikes the reader when reading Han’s work is the alarming tone. Really, what he is intent on illustrating are the dire stakes if we do not undo “that which is changing freedom into coercion.”20

On this question, he unabashedly sets his target on “Big Data,” the platforms and market forces exploiting psychopolitics. The tech monopolies operate on a vast scale, transforming people into raw data and “quantifiable selves” amenable to surveillance, manipulation, and directed consumption. These entities allied with the state could leverage psychopolitics and its proclivity for emotion to simulate desired outcomes. It is creating a situation where, Han believes, “free will itself is at stake."21

He writes:

In the age of digital psychopolitics… influence takes place at the pre-reflexive level.

For human beings to be able to act freely, the future must be open. However, Big Data is making it possible to predict human behavior. This means that the future is becoming calculable and controllable. Digital psychopolitics transforms the negativity of freely made decisions into the positivity of factual states.

Persons are being positivized into things which can be quantified, measured and steered. Needless to say, no thing can be free. But at the same thing, things are more transparent than persons.22

The disciplinary power [of industrial society] discovered “population” as a productive and reproductive mass to be administered carefully. Reproductive cycles, birth and death rates, levels of general health, and life expectancy provided the objects for regulation.

However, this approach is unsuited to the neoliberal regime, which exploits the psyche above all. Big Data provides the means for establishing not just an individual but a collective psychogram, perhaps even the psychogram of the unconscious itself.23

[Digital psychopolitics] manages to intervene in psychic processes in a prospective fashion. Quite possibly, it is even faster than free will. As such, it could overtake it. If so, this would herald the end of freedom.

It is possible that Big Data can even read desires we do not know we habor… [thus] rendering the collective unconscious accessible... in the position to take control of mass behavior on a level that escapes detection.24

The invisible technological forces that Han describes are already in play, molding culture and politics. The thought of a society managed through algorithmic prediction and suggestion is a disturbing prospect. Yet, I am also encouraged by the fact that these systems have so far failed miserably in predicting the future. Human spontaneity is still clearly present nowadays, often expressing itself in spite of any attempt at control, albeit very chaotically. Society has not yet been reduced to just inputs and outputs.

Living in Spite of Psychopolitics

Byung-Chul Han illustrates a grim picture of technological control and emotional manipulation, whose complexity is hard to fathom. Still, we interact with it every day, and part of its appeal is it is mostly curated for us. A psychopolitical breakthrough was the popularization of the “infinite scroll” in the early 2010s, as timelines moved away from being strictly chronological, with Facebook leading the way.25 This also coincided with social media being less about connecting with real-life friends.

A while back, I stumbled upon an essay written in 2017 on a website called Graphite Journal. In it, an anonymous user writes, “the internet is larger than any one metropolis, but browsing it today feels like walking down a narrow circular hallway.”

They go on to recount a story of how in 1956, philosopher Guy Debord looked over some sociological studies on Parisian city-dwellers and noticed something similar. He was surprised to find their movements across the city quite limited, “forming a triangle with little deviation.” From such a realization, Debord proposed the idea of the dérive: the conscious decision to pass through areas and moods previously untraveled, drawn by whatever attraction one finds. The goal of dérive was to reject the narrow hallways one is forced into, and instead, turn them into bigger worlds. “It is high time that we develop a dérive for the internet,” the user writes.

When I read Han’s work, I’m reminded of the need to cultivate thoughts and worlds beyond what’s curated for us. Just as importantly, it also requires cultivating our physical public spaces and “third places” as well, so that we have an actual home and community outside of psychopolitical dynamics. Only then can we develop the personal arsenal to protect ourselves from what we think we want.

Pretty good post

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Capitalist societies just seem to hate that they have humans in them.

it is the ultimate contradiction of capitalism: surplus value only comes from human labor, which capitalism is determined to remove entirely to avoid paying proles

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Glumwheels posted:

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/tear-down-the-christmas-market-paywall/#comments

Nice summary of what I was saying about the Christmas market bullshit. They’re using city land and requiring a $20 entrance fee so the organizers are making money before any money is spent on the vendors.

For a family of 4 it’s $73 to go to the market before any food or gifts are purchased.

I got dragged to this last night and it was the dumbest thing I've ever paid for in my loving life. We were there for 30 minutes at most before my wife- who seriously gets off on christmas tomfoolery and therefore had been looking forward to this for weeks- quietly said that we could leave.

There were so many people packed into this event that you couldn't move. The lines for food were literally 100 people+ long. That's already insane, but the event area was so small that it meant there were weird makeshift snaking lines where no one understood what line was for what food, everyone was cutting lines, it was complete loving chaos.

none of the food stalls had signs on top so, again, you literally just had zero idea who was selling what. A couple told us that they waited FORTY MINUTES for their overpriced lovely German food and had to ask for a refund.

I tried to get a shot of the chaos happening at the food booths, it's 50 times worse than it looks in this shot but you can at least get a rough idea of how hosed it was:

There was a stand selling two (2) churros for $11.99. You can't make this poo poo up.

I tried to explain to my SO that paying to go to a market where you spend money is hot trash but you gotta pick your battles sometimes. At least she realized her mistake and we bounced to get a bowl of pho at Viet Anh down the street.

F- would not attend again

Only cool thing was this merry go round :shrug:

Yeah. I feel ya. Not that it would change your life but have you tried a sun lamp and do you take vitamin D? I found those help a lot :shrug: I totally get your perspective though. The bay definitely has better food and perma-sun is amazing.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Taima posted:

I got dragged to this last night and it was the dumbest thing I've ever paid for in my loving life. We were there for 30 minutes at most before my wife- who seriously gets off on christmas tomfoolery and therefore had been looking forward to this for weeks- quietly said that we could leave.

There were so many people packed into this event that you couldn't move. The lines for food were literally 100 people+ long. That's already insane, but the event area was so small that it meant there were weird makeshift snaking lines where no one understood what line was for what food, everyone was cutting lines, it was complete loving chaos.

none of the food stalls had signs on top so, again, you literally just had zero idea who was selling what. A couple told us that they waited FORTY MINUTES for their overpriced lovely German food and had to ask for a refund.

I tried to get a shot of the chaos happening at the food booths, it's 50 times worse than it looks in this shot but you can at least get a rough idea of how hosed it was:

There was a stand selling two (2) churros for $11.99. You can't make this poo poo up.

I tried to explain to my SO that paying to go to a market where you spend money is hot trash but you gotta pick your battles sometimes. At least she realized her mistake and we bounced to get a bowl of pho at Viet Anh down the street.

F- would not attend again

Only cool thing was this merry go round :shrug:

Yeah. I feel ya. Not that it would change your life but have you tried a sun lamp and do you take vitamin D? I found those help a lot :shrug: I totally get your perspective though. The bay definitely has better food and perma-sun is amazing.

lol wow, worse than I expected because I didn’t think it would be so overcrowded. I’d rather go to Leavenworth for our fake Christmas town fix. Were the non-food stalls any good, did they have anything interesting?

gently caress waiting for an hour for $12 churros, you can get churros at Costco for a $1.50. I wonder what the event organizers are charging vendors.

Looks like an Instagram trap, good thing Seattle has so many wannabe influencers in food and events. I was hoping the downturn would gently caress influencers but doesn’t seem to have done so unfortunately.

Glumwheels has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Dec 3, 2023

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Taima posted:

I got dragged to this last night and it was the dumbest thing I've ever paid for in my loving life.

Sounds the same as the Toronto one, which was originally free but then implemented ticketing for entry to "control crowds" (lol)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Sounds the same as the Toronto one, which was originally free but then implemented ticketing for entry to "control crowds" (lol)

Pfft, a few years ago maybe. They're on some new poo poo now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ticketing to enter a Christmas market is so insane. No clue it was a widespread practice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Pfft, a few years ago maybe. They're on some new poo poo now.

Lmao 15 dollars for a cocktail and access to a space heater.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

In Training posted:

Ticketing to enter a Christmas market is so insane. No clue it was a widespread practice

It most definitely wasn't when I lived in Germany, leave it to Americans to figure out how to incorporate more rentseeking into the equation

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol no babies or toddlers in the premium warming lounges

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the philly christmas village kicks rear end. sorry about all your lovely wannabe markets/villages

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

While grocery shopping this morning, I noticed that there is now a new, Winco store brand generic soda (:btroll:), priced just under the formerly cheap Shasta.

I don't know why, but it's setting off alarm bells.

A little late replying, and I'm the first to admit to be a Winco fan, but I know personally some who work in the corporate accounting and they claim that they really do their best to keep their prices as low as possible. You noticed this recently, but several months ago they started providing Winco sparkling waters, and I've personally been noticing the brands of milk changing a lot.

They are employee owned - I don't know what that means as far as capitalism and labor and exploitation or whatever, but I do know it's better than being publicly traded, and I've known people (family) who had a good retirement after selling back the shares they got cashiering.

edit: ready for winco socialism.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

If you or someone you know is a gig worker or contractor or otherwise 1099'd (or if you're on payroll but don't have enough withheld throughout the year) pay attention to this IRS change & be sure your estimated (or payroll withholding) payments are up to date.

The Surprise Bill Coming to Those Who Underpay Their Taxes

quote:

Failing to keep up with tax payments now could lead to an expensive surprise come next spring.

As of Oct. 1, the Internal Revenue Service is charging 8% interest on estimated tax underpayments, up from 3% two years ago. The increase is one of the many effects of rising interest rates.

These higher penalties, which can run in the hundreds or even thousands of dollars, are particularly relevant for gig workers and consultants who don’t have taxes withheld and figure they can pay their taxes come April. People who get steady paychecks with tax withholding could also be affected if they have additional income and get the math wrong.

For most taxpayers, their employer withholds taxes in every paycheck, with the majority due for a tax refund for having overpaid. Still, the IRS assessed more than $1.8 billion in penalties for underpaying estimated taxes on nearly 12.2 million individual returns in fiscal year 2022.

Beyond underpayment penalties, the higher total tax bills for millions of Americans increase the risk that many won’t be able to pay their full balance in April. Failing to pay all of your tax bills can lead to more penalties and—in the worst case—IRS collection actions including liens and levies.

“It’s a cautionary tale for individuals to think about as we get toward year-end. Are you where you should be?” said Joseph Doerrer, a CPA and certified financial planner at Mezzasalma CPAs in Tinton Falls, N.J.

The U.S. tax system is pay-as-you-go, meaning you should make payments as you earn income. That can be done through withholding or by making quarterly—or even more frequent—tax payments during the year.

To avoid underpayment penalties, most filers must pay 90% of their taxes through withholding during the calendar year, or through estimated payments due quarterly. The payment for the fourth quarter of 2023 comes due Jan. 16, 2024. The IRS won’t charge an underpayment penalty if the balance due is less than $1,000 after taking into account withholding and credits. (Though it is called a penalty, it is essentially interest tied to the federal short-term rate.)

Staying on top of estimates is especially important for people with fluctuating or self-employment income. Taxpayers with bonuses and equity compensation, whereby automatic tax withholding is too low, could face underpayment penalties. Anyone with higher-than-usual interest from high-yield savings accounts and mutual-fund dividend or capital-gain distribution payouts could also be affected.

Here’s how to keep your tax payments on track.

Avoid underpayment penalties. A gig worker who owes $10,000 in taxes and didn’t make quarterly estimated payments of $2,500 would face a $512 underpayment penalty, along with his tax bill on April 15, said Chris Oliva, a certified public accountant at UHY Advisors in New York City. The penalty calculation, figured on Form 2210, uses a blended interest rate for tax year 2023.

Individual taxpayers can generally insulate themselves from underpayment penalties by paying in (through withholding or estimated taxes) at least 90% of the current-year tax bill or 100% of the previous year’s tax bill. The 100% figure rises to 110% for filers with adjusted gross income of more than $150,000, or $75,000 for married taxpayers filing separately.

It makes sense to toggle between the two methods if your income is uneven, said Doerrer.

If you have a high-income year followed by a low-income year, you would want to pay in at 90%. Otherwise, you would be making an unnecessarily large overpayment, Doerrer said. If you have a low-income year followed by a high-income year, it can make sense to pay 100% or 110% of the prior year’s income, keeping estimates lower and anticipating a larger balance due in April.

Try the IRS tax-withholding estimator. To use the IRS tax-withholding estimator, taxpayers need to plug in information from their last year’s tax return, pay stubs and all other income, including side gigs, investments and retirement account payouts.

If you have a pension but not a job, use Form W-4P to estimate your withholding. IRS Publication 505 has worksheets and examples for taxpayers in special situations.

Adjust your tax withholding. Employees who are withholding too little can change their recurring tax withholding, or withhold an additional dollar amount, by filling out a revised Form W-4 with their employer, Oliva said.

If you take required minimum distributions from an individual retirement account, you can choose a higher withholding amount for those distributions.

The IRS considers the extra withholding to be spread evenly throughout the year, which helps lessen or eliminate underpayment penalties.

Some taxpayers change their withholding to get more money in their paycheck to cover expenses or splurges, but that can backfire when the bill comes due, said Karla Dennis, a La Palma, Calif., enrolled agent.

“It’s a cascading problem: getting them on a payment plan, setting up a budget so they don’t get into that situation again,” she said.

Pay in estimates. If additional withholding isn’t an option, make an estimated tax payment. The sooner you do it, the better, because the underpayment penalty amount involves a daily calculation, said Oliva. For the gig worker with $10,000 in taxes due, if he or she paid on Jan. 16 instead of April 15, the penalty would be $317, down from $512.

It is relatively painless to pay electronically through IRS Direct Pay or by setting up an account with the Department of Treasury’s Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.

Here's the IRS tax-withholding estimator.

Also, a reminder that the $600 reporting rule for banks passed in the American Rescue Plan (lol) was delayed in 2022 to make it easier for banks to comply but it's in effect for 2023:

quote:

Under the law, beginning January 1, 2023, a TPSO is required to report third-party network transactions paid in 2022 with any participating payee that exceed a minimum threshold of $600 in aggregate payments, regardless of the number of transactions. TPSOs report these transactions by providing individual payee's an IRS Form 1099-K, Payment Card and Third-Party Network Transactions.

The transition period described in Notice 2023-10PDF, delays the reporting of transactions in excess of $600 to transactions that occur after calendar year 2022. The transition period is intended to facilitate an orderly transition for TPSO tax compliance, as well as individual payee compliance with income tax reporting. A participating payee, in the case of a third-party network transaction, is any person who accepts payment from a third-party settlement organization for a business transaction.

There's a chance that since we're heading into an election year there's a chance the reporting could be delayed another year but if I were operating a cash-based gig I'd make sure my ducks were in a row & estimated taxes are up to speed just in case.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

quote:

As of Oct. 1, the Internal Revenue Service is charging 8% interest on estimated tax underpayments, up from 3% two years ago. The increase is one of the many effects of rising interest rates.

:dafuq:

they could just not raise it, but you know

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Xaris posted:

:cheers: was wondering what was going on with archive.ph the past week or two.

How can I do that in Chrome? Also having trouble with archive.ph.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Taima posted:

Kinda reminds me of the market in downtown Chicago last year. We were already down there in the area from going to take our young kids to see the Bluey play. After grabbing some lunch nearby at a Panera, we wandered over to the site of the market (Dailey Plaza, and a surround street or two). Upon seeing what looked to be the line just to get inside the market, I tried to flat out refuse to wait while having a 3 and 5 year old in tow. But my wife started pouting, so I gave up and we got in line.

Good news, the line started moving quickly. Bad news, the line had completely wrapped around 3/4s of the exterior of the market before entering some barricaded snaking, so it still took us like 30 minutes to get in. It was still super busy inside, but at least all the lines for the vendors were only like 5-10 people deep, and all the signs were pretty clearly visible up high.

We got some sort of pastry, some spiced nuts, some stuffed gnomes, and then left once my wife noticed I was starting to struggle after carrying our 3 year old for the previous 20 minutes. But at least there wasn’t an entrance fee.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

:dafuq:

they could just not raise it, but you know

It's funny how IRS penalties are pegged to the interest rate, but barely reflected in the rock-bottom federal poverty levels used for means-testing everything from expanded Medicaid to SNAP.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Orvin posted:

Kinda reminds me of the market in downtown Chicago last year. We were already down there in the area from going to take our young kids to see the Bluey play. After grabbing some lunch nearby at a Panera, we wandered over to the site of the market (Dailey Plaza, and a surround street or two). Upon seeing what looked to be the line just to get inside the market, I tried to flat out refuse to wait while having a 3 and 5 year old in tow. But my wife started pouting, so I gave up and we got in line.

Good news, the line started moving quickly. Bad news, the line had completely wrapped around 3/4s of the exterior of the market before entering some barricaded snaking, so it still took us like 30 minutes to get in. It was still super busy inside, but at least all the lines for the vendors were only like 5-10 people deep, and all the signs were pretty clearly visible up high.

We got some sort of pastry, some spiced nuts, some stuffed gnomes, and then left once my wife noticed I was starting to struggle after carrying our 3 year old for the previous 20 minutes. But at least there wasn’t an entrance fee.

Neighborhood-based xmas festivals are better; change my mind. Also, a lot of churches hold holiday marts over weekends in December.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

err posted:

PNW just kinda sucks. Too many tech workers moved here, and everything is expensive now. It was nice growing up here before Seattle got gutted but it's unrecognizable now. Nature stuff is the best part but even that is getting crowded and diminished.

Central Oregon loving sucks now, at least what my wife says who was born in Bend. Anything worth doing out in the wilderness is crammed full of people, even during the workdays.

Also: The amount of trash that people leave is astonishing, and I would always see park rangers or volunteers packing out garbage bags full of litter on an out and back 4 miler.. I don't get how difficult it is to shove a clif bar wrapper in your day pack or even your pocket and to carry it the quarter mile to the trash bins at the trailhead but the general population seems to enjoy trashing up area's so what the gently caress does it matter I guess..

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Orvin posted:

Oh hey I'm on my way there right now w a 3 year old because we have to go with my MIL every time she visits because tradition.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it is the ultimate contradiction of capitalism: surplus value only comes from human labor, which capitalism is determined to remove entirely to avoid paying proles
the adversarial nature of markets have been known since ancient times. the ultimate conclusion: kill the seller.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Why do they need a queued entrance if there's no fee. The ones in NYC are just a bunch of stalls in a park that you can wander around.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Nice and hot piss posted:

Also: The amount of trash that people leave is astonishing, and I would always see park rangers or volunteers packing out garbage bags full of litter on an out and back 4 miler.. I don't get how difficult it is to shove a clif bar wrapper in your day pack or even your pocket and to carry it the quarter mile to the trash bins at the trailhead but the general population seems to enjoy trashing up area's so what the gently caress does it matter I guess..

i was gonna dispose of it properly but since i saw someone else's yeah i just tossed my own, place is going downhill i tell ya

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Not in this particular pithy manner but I do sort of struggle with this myself. Like I vote for/support additional taxes for public works/education/etc but like realistically I'm accutely aware my money is just going to grift. It's hard to square the circle of wanting the gov to fund more public transport for example while also knowing that like a mile of lightrail costs 10 bajillion dollars and is never going to meaningfully advance as a project. It is a stark reality that extra funds/taxes do often just go to stupid poo poo like police departments that are already overbloated.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

PoundSand posted:

Not in this particular pithy manner but I do sort of struggle with this myself. Like I vote for/support additional taxes for public works/education/etc but like realistically I'm accutely aware my money is just going to grift. It's hard to square the circle of wanting the gov to fund more public transport for example while also knowing that like a mile of lightrail costs 10 bajillion dollars and is never going to meaningfully advance as a project. It is a stark reality that extra funds/taxes do often just go to stupid poo poo like police departments that are already overbloated.

This isn’t meant to be as glib as it sounds, but can’t you just admit that good things are good, bad things are bad, and that you’re doing what you think is best with the options available to you?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

PoundSand posted:

I had an anarchist housemate who said he didn't pay taxes because he didn't want his earnings to go to the MIC. i kinda saw his point but he also had a lot financial and legal problems.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

I had an anarchist housemate who said he didn't pay taxes because he didn't want his earnings to go to the MIC. i kinda saw his point but he also had a lot financial and legal problems.

lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
also dr collier is talking about christmas gift giving (in large part commenting on the planet money episodes about the same)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quXEUVLX5II

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

MickeyFinn posted:

This isn’t meant to be as glib as it sounds, but can’t you just admit that good things are good, bad things are bad, and that you’re doing what you think is best with the options available to you?

I mean that's exactly what I do/how I vote on local bills but it's hard not to feel doomer about it when you just look at general government corruption. In this case no matter how much you want to support good things the reality is your money is just going to more bombs for israel or even in the niche case it does go to a public project to endless circular grift that inflates the price by an order of magnitude.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

PoundSand posted:

bourgeois government allocates resources on behalf of the bourgeois simple as

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

err posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised how many people itt hate the PNW. I'm mainly talking about the greater Seattle area west of the cascades. I moved here a little over a year ago, from the bay area (Santa Cruz):

It's always so green and vibrant, and will be one of the best places to ride out climate change. It seems inevitable that Seattle will become the "new" San Francisco bay area over time due to further climate degradation in California. There's little long term future in much of California if you're trying to figure out a place to eventually retire; by the time that comes we'll be well in the grasp of the worst elements of climate change :shrug: we're not getting any younger so we wanted a place we would feel comfortable in retirement with climate change instead of fearing it...

The warm season is much shorter than California but the months you do get are really spectacular, and it rains every month of the year- usually just enough to keep things green during the warm season. Washington has tons of public access land and you can actually do things on it! And so many cool lakes to hang out and swim, great trails, and easy access to British Columbia which is one of my favorite places ever in the summer.

Every year the weather gets better, with the dry season being warmer and lasting longer and the wet season getting more moderate and lasting a shorter amount of time. In the coming years I think everyone will be pretty surprised how much the area cleans up and really expands its excellent dry season.

We live at about 550 feet of elevation, over the Snohomish valley, and the fog stays below us 99% of the time. That is definitely something worth thinking about for anyone moving up here. Vitamin D supplementation and sun lamps also do wonders. Still, even with the bad weather reputation, I had a tan for about 4 months straight this year. That is pretty good and getting better over time.

I've also felt like the "seattle freeze" is super overrated and people here are really nice :shrug:

We honestly couldn't afford housing in the bay area but found decent digs here that we really like for a fraction of the cost, and it's soooo nice to be living in an area where your house isn't about to burn down every 2 seconds, and climate change makes the area BETTER year over year. This is important to me because so much of life in 2023 is just about things getting worse, all the time, forever. For that reason, being able to say "next year will probably have better weather than this year" is so nice.

To equal it out, there definitely are lovely parts of the area:

1) holy poo poo, traffic is horrible. I came from the bay area and thought I understood traffic, but lol. lmao.
2) good food is less common than the bay and more spread out. But there are great examples of any type of food you might want if you're willing to drive.
3) the fog and rain can be bad but again, this is getting better every year. Still, people who are prone to SAD should probably stay away.
4) food is easily equivalent in price if not more than the bay area, but we know a couple of supermarkets that are cheaper than anything we had in the bay and we primarily shop at those joints.
5) losing CA beach weather really sucks, not gonna lie, but you can harvest clams and poo poo so. Consolation prize I guess.
6) people drive absurdly slow here and I have no idea why

Idk anyways I know this is the doom thread and not the Talk about Places We Like thread but especially with climate change to worry about I really think you could do much worse, and if you are able to live at a bit higher elevation you can avoid a lot of the fog/haze as well.

Taima has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Dec 3, 2023

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

It gets a lot of hate from those who grew up in the PNW because it really was this hidden gem of a place where not many people were really flocking to, until the late 80's and has subsequently ramped up in terms of people moving there.

Locals complain in lock step with the entire "NIMBY" concept and cost of living has skyrocketed exponentially, pushing people who work lower wage positions out of areas like Seattle, Portland, bend, pretty much anything close or west of the Cascades.

I lived in Redmond Oregon for 6 years and even at the end of my tenure, traffic felt like it got way worse and everythung got so stupid expensive. Also: everything outdoors related was just packed full of people and the idea of "getting away from people" was a non existent thing unless you went to Eastern Oregon

There's also a pretty big culture clash between true locals that were raised in places like bend/Redmond and the stereotypical "Californian" coming in. I heard that poo poo so much from the general population so that rhetoric is still be shouted at the tops of some people's lungs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
I'm old enough to remember when people were claiming the PNW was "climate-change proof" but then woops, turns out that's one of the regions most impacted by it and also it's chock-full of nazis lol