Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
On my latest game, I found an Ars book that creates lightening bolts in an area around the targeted mob.
I'm finding it hard to stop using it since it usually can instakill like 5-6 mobs at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh yeah the tier 2 flare/cold snap (but not discharge, because they locked the spell that lets you inflict shock behind tier 3) is great for clearing out large mobs. But for onsie twosie mobs, they go to the death tower. Its expensive mana wise, but usually I get my mana back before the next mob shows up. In fact I learned something, while idling in the end for bee nests to fill up I was sending the endermen there to the tower. They drop nether gear. I want to set up a spell turret there that fires off a homing spell that teleports whatever it hits. If only there was a way to send source across dimensions.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leal posted:

Oh yeah the tier 2 flare/cold snap (but not discharge, because they locked the spell that lets you inflict shock behind tier 3) is great for clearing out large mobs. But for onsie twosie mobs, they go to the death tower. Its expensive mana wise, but usually I get my mana back before the next mob shows up. In fact I learned something, while idling in the end for bee nests to fill up I was sending the endermen there to the tower. They drop nether gear. I want to set up a spell turret there that fires off a homing spell that teleports whatever it hits. If only there was a way to send source across dimensions.

If you're on a version of Ars that has armor threads the pro move is putting one which chills/burns/shocks enemies on the armor, since it happens before the spell you just cast goes off. And then put the attack spell on a wand so that way you save two glyph slots you can use for more damage or item pickup.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I found a book that will launch mobs in the air, usually high enough to kill them (unless they have armor), and two copies of a book that summons mountable dolphins. I just ride everywhere on my dolphin now.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Leal posted:

Man the blink spell in ars rules when paired with a warp scroll. If its in your offhand it'll teleport your target to its location. So I can now send mobs to the top of my death tower. Gets rid of them and automatically collects their loot.

Black Pants posted:

poo poo here I am being a chump doing damage to enemies with freeze+cold snap when I could teleport them into a grinder.

We've been using Tempad to teleport animals into a zoo. Thanks for the combat portal idea. :getin:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 10, 2023

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to play Lockout (the mod YouTuber SmallAnt commissioned) with some friends, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how modern MineCraft works. Everything keeps trying to sell me something.
The mod is here: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/lockout/files/4655896
Whenever I try to get the mod, some nonsense about CurseForge is forced upon me. So fine, I do that, but then I don't have a server. I tried doing all kind of things, with all kinds of "Forges". All the websites I look at don't seem to support this mod. And running the jars gets me exceptions or Plugins(0).
The client seems to be fine, but I have no idea what I need to do to make the server work with the mod. I've searched up and down, and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know how this works? What am I missing?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I've been trying to play Lockout (the mod YouTuber SmallAnt commissioned) with some friends, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how modern MineCraft works. Everything keeps trying to sell me something.
The mod is here: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/lockout/files/4655896
Whenever I try to get the mod, some nonsense about CurseForge is forced upon me. So fine, I do that, but then I don't have a server. I tried doing all kind of things, with all kinds of "Forges". All the websites I look at don't seem to support this mod. And running the jars gets me exceptions or Plugins(0).
The client seems to be fine, but I have no idea what I need to do to make the server work with the mod. I've searched up and down, and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know how this works? What am I missing?

Ah, I was typing this up in the thread but didn't finish it before you moved here, reposting just in case it helps :downs:

Xun posted:

You need to set up a client and possibly a server (not sure how this mod works on LAN but it says it needs a server so Ill assume you do)

Client:
You and your friends need to do this. Curseforge is part of Overwolf and is generally considered lovely spyware, but if you want the simplest setup you want to use that. Otherwise, use prism launcher for a smoother non spyware manager.

For both of these, you want to find the create instance option and make a fresh 1.19 instance. There will be an option to add forge during the creation process, pick the indicated stable version. Remember which version it is.

You now have a separate installation of Minecraft with forge. Find the folder it's installed in (the software UI should be able to bring you there) and it should have lots of folders like config/coremods/mods/saves. Drag and drop the lockout.jar file into the mods folder. It doesn't seem to have any dependencies so it should be now be installed for this version of minecraft.

Server:
You need to do this.
Remember that version of forge you installed? Go here and download the corresponding installer for that version: https://files.minecraftforge.net/net/minecraftforge/forge/

Pick the install server option. Go to where you installed it and run run.bat or run.sh depending on what OS you're using. This should create a bunch of files that looks similar to the client version.

Edit eula.txt from eula=false to eula=true. If you think the server needs more RAM edit the user_jvm_args.txt file, it should have a line that says # -XmX4G. You can just remove the #.

Put a copy of lockout.jar in the servers mod folder. Now you can run run.bat/run.sh again and it should make a window pop up with your server if it's windows or just start spamming text if it's Linux. Your server should now be joinable. You should be able to join it using your local IP and walk around. Once you've joined you can give yourself moderator powers by going to the cmd box that popped up or the Linux terminal and type op your_username. If your friends are on LAN you are done.

If not you need to do port forwarding which tbh I have no idea how to do, the port should be 25565 though. Then your friends can connect to your IPv4 address.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Incredible write-up Xun. It is never enough RAM for me. You can also do the server on another computer you have or a cloud computer. That's not even as nerd poo poo as port forwarding and mac address filtering.

For a lot of mod packs with friends you can add essential or MineTogether Connect to just join a friend's single player world like a server. The former adds real money dlc and the latter didn't work last time I tried it.
I think Shadow0 needs to do the server though, and ram probably won't be an issue with that modpack.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Xun posted:

Ah, I was typing this up in the thread but didn't finish it before you moved here, reposting just in case it helps :downs:

Prism makes adding mods easier. Don't need to gently caress with downloading from Curseforge and all that, just click "Edit" on the instance, click "Mods", "Download mods", find the mod you want, "Select mod for download", "Review and confirm", then "OK"

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

Prism makes adding mods easier. Don't need to gently caress with downloading from Curseforge and all that, just click "Edit" on the instance, click "Mods", "Download mods", find the mod you want, "Select mod for download", "Review and confirm", then "OK"

Yeah, it seems like they already had the mod jar downloaded though so I skipped over that

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Xun posted:

Okay, I was trying that, but wasn't sure. I guess I'm doing it right then?

I'm not sure how the major/minor versions work. I tried with a later version of 1.19.x.x.x, but I'm still getting exceptions. Maybe they only tested it on a very specific version?
Well, either way, it seems to be trying to load the mod, so I think that's the right way forward. I'll try some more versions of the server / mod. Thanks for the help!

Edit: It crashes on all versions. No one in the comments on the mod seem to be having much problem, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 14, 2023

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Shadow0 posted:

Okay, I was trying that, but wasn't sure. I guess I'm doing it right then?

I'm not sure how the major/minor versions work. I tried with a later version of 1.19.x.x.x, but I'm still getting exceptions. Maybe they only tested it on a very specific version?
Well, either way, it seems to be trying to load the mod, so I think that's the right way forward. I'll try some more versions of the server / mod. Thanks for the help!

Edit: It crashes on all versions. No one in the comments on the mod seem to be having much problem, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

According to the comments, it will only work on 1.19.0. Which means you'll need Minecraft 1.19 and Forge specifically for 1.19., not .1 or .2. This is a fairly unusual situation as minor versions generally are largely cross-compatible but sometimes a mod can mess with some mechanic that gets changed/fixed in a later minor version.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Uh-oh. I just polished off E2:E again and I think I'm getting the itch to Greg it up in New Horizons once more. :ohdear:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RocketMermaid posted:

Uh-oh. I just polished off E2:E again and I think I'm getting the itch to Greg it up in New Horizons once more. :ohdear:

If you want a unique challenge experience I'd suggest trying something like Terra Firma Rescue. It's a little janky, has some poor translations, and is sadly unmaintained for a while but it's got a hell of a start.

It's basically someone looking at GregTech and thinking 'What if you did its early game via TerraFirmaCraft?' Including a custom-forked GT6.

How would you like to craft your first Gregtech plates by digging up raw ore, running it through a blast furnace, hammering out the bloom, furnacing the metal out of the bloom, casting the ingots, then hammering the ingots into plates. And that's even before steel!

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 16, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

RocketMermaid posted:

We have such wonders to show you

(my UHV base)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You know what mod I miss? The Betweenlands. Like many big mods, never made it past 1.12.
I know it was kinda self contained to the point of not really working well with other big mods, but I really enjoyed its aesthetic and it made a much better alternate progression/total overhaul than Twilight Forest did, imo.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I have fond memories of Dimmensional Doors, was kinda unstable but had very fun themeing and was unsettling in a novel way. Liminal, as the kids would say.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

I just got done with the complete platline for the first time ever. Ask me 3 months ago if I could ever see myself getting that far and I would have giggled myself into hysterics

Onward to upgrading to my giant 8 volcanus array and monaline before luv

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ash Rose posted:

I have fond memories of Dimmensional Doors, was kinda unstable but had very fun themeing and was unsettling in a novel way. Liminal, as the kids would say.

Is that the one where if you did thigns wrong you could end up in a horrible void dimension full of things which could gently caress you up by looking at them?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think so, but you could just drop down out of it. Well, then you get flung into the overworld and possibly go squish.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/dimensionaldoors looks like it's been ported to later versions, idk how faithfully

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/dimensionaldoors looks like it's been ported to later versions, idk how faithfully

crash to desktop or world corruption is a feature, not a bug

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Zereth posted:

Is that the one where if you did thigns wrong you could end up in a horrible void dimension full of things which could gently caress you up by looking at them?

Yeah, there was loot too, fun to explore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah I was playing on a server with it once, seemed cool, I didn't get into it a lot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Recently gave the modpack Cuboid Outpost another go and I'm really enjoying it. Skyblock-like that uses an infinite flatworld instead of a void, which I always found much more enjoyable and easier to build in. Lots of creative and interesting options here, sort of a kitchen sink pack with mixed, guided progression and a lot of overlapping tech.
One thing that really stood out early is that there's a few dozen early materials you can turn into "singularities" which can then be pumped out to infinite amounts of that material free. Most base metals and a lot of simple blocks like stone, clay, dirt, etc. work this way. I like this a lot in a skyblock setting, where instead of having to set up a composter barrel, sifter, crafter, etc. to run on auto literally forever just so you'll always have dirt available, the game goes "Ok, you made 256 dirt blocks? Then you obviously have this resource figured out, so we'll just say you have infinite". Alloys and even slightly more complex blocks like soul sand don't get infinites, nor do mob drops or anything crafted. But it's nice when you finally make enough iron or gold or whatever else to just have it done with.

It also does another really cool thing I don't think I've seen much if ever, and could be used to great effect in survival games even outside of Minecraft: You start with a decently stocked base with some amenities, but as you progress, you have to start tearing up the base and its appliances to continue. To get your first redstone, you have to recycle the solar panels on the roof. To get auto sifting going, you need to trash your Thermal pulverizer. At some point you even have to recycle the basic AE2 system they start you with.
I think I find this so cool because a lot of survival games and modpacks have this inverse difficulty curve where the game is only really ever challenging at the very start, because you have nothing, and every step of progress gets you more things that ease the pain of surviving. Meanwhile something like this, where you start with conveniences and supplies and slowly run them out or even actively disassemble them for other needs, means a cushy start and a difficult climb as you slowly strip away your own safeguards.
Seems like a novel solution to the curve. Having a lot of fun with it so far.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Recently gave the modpack Cuboid Outpost another go and I'm really enjoying it. Skyblock-like that uses an infinite flatworld instead of a void, which I always found much more enjoyable and easier to build in. Lots of creative and interesting options here, sort of a kitchen sink pack with mixed, guided progression and a lot of overlapping tech.
One thing that really stood out early is that there's a few dozen early materials you can turn into "singularities" which can then be pumped out to infinite amounts of that material free. Most base metals and a lot of simple blocks like stone, clay, dirt, etc. work this way. I like this a lot in a skyblock setting, where instead of having to set up a composter barrel, sifter, crafter, etc. to run on auto literally forever just so you'll always have dirt available, the game goes "Ok, you made 256 dirt blocks? Then you obviously have this resource figured out, so we'll just say you have infinite". Alloys and even slightly more complex blocks like soul sand don't get infinites, nor do mob drops or anything crafted. But it's nice when you finally make enough iron or gold or whatever else to just have it done with.

It also does another really cool thing I don't think I've seen much if ever, and could be used to great effect in survival games even outside of Minecraft: You start with a decently stocked base with some amenities, but as you progress, you have to start tearing up the base and its appliances to continue. To get your first redstone, you have to recycle the solar panels on the roof. To get auto sifting going, you need to trash your Thermal pulverizer. At some point you even have to recycle the basic AE2 system they start you with.
I think I find this so cool because a lot of survival games and modpacks have this inverse difficulty curve where the game is only really ever challenging at the very start, because you have nothing, and every step of progress gets you more things that ease the pain of surviving. Meanwhile something like this, where you start with conveniences and supplies and slowly run them out or even actively disassemble them for other needs, means a cushy start and a difficult climb as you slowly strip away your own safeguards.
Seems like a novel solution to the curve. Having a lot of fun with it so far.

Oh that sounds super interesting!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh hey I just found out Overwolf stores your browser cookies in its launcher. And gives you no way to opt out of its targeted advertising cookies. So that's how they're leveraging the client.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I played through cuboid outpost a while ago and i too liked that the cabin gave you a quickstart on the banging rocks together phase. I think i got halfway through the “one of every element” generator before i decided it was just a victory lap.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Vib Rib posted:

I should've specified but maybe the best part of this is that they're available, like, immediately. Being able to pump out infinite of base materials you've collected enough of is one of the first things you can do. It's not an endgame/"creative drawer" scenario, it unlocks by the time you'd normally be setting up dirt barrels in any other skyblock. Extremely convenient start as a result.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a "craft from nearby storage" mod? Don't really need a bunch of other stuff included I guess, just a plain mod.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Simple Storage or Toms Simple Storage are probably the easiest.
I dont know of one that doesnt require either making cables to connect or having to link each one, like maybe Functional Storage.
Crafting from nearby storage like in 7D2D or Subnautica is the best.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/simple-storage-network
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfKbTfbTR50

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/toms-storage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW5ElcWiC3c

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 3, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just had one of those moments where you realize you missed something incredibly basic and obvious for WAY too long

That's me when I realized you can put two of the stack multipliers in a sophisticated backpack and be able to stack things into the tens of thousands per slot. I don't know why, but all this time I felt like it was one stack multiplier per backpack, and you just upgrade it or replace it with a higher tier version. Then I shift-clicked a bunch of upgrades I had into a new netherite backpack I had made and two slots were taken up by multipliers, and I literally facepalmed

Well, at least I can cut down on the number of backpacks I have now, had one pack just for holding 16x stacks of basic blocks(dirt, sand, gravel, cobble, netherrack, etc) but now I can just have those go in the main backpack since the entire contents of one of those packs now fits into a handful of slots

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I'm sorry if this has been asked before - my friend is looking for some nice fancy shaders (don't have to be super fancy raytracing stuff), has no mods or launchers installed. Both of us are a bit unclear what to do since the last time we tried to mod this poo poo was a few years ago. Sounds like Prism Launcher is the way to go but from there, what do you do? Optifine?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm sorry if this has been asked before - my friend is looking for some nice fancy shaders (don't have to be super fancy raytracing stuff), has no mods or launchers installed. Both of us are a bit unclear what to do since the last time we tried to mod this poo poo was a few years ago. Sounds like Prism Launcher is the way to go but from there, what do you do? Optifine?

I've been using Complimentary Reimagined the past few versions and love it.
It's generally been coming with more recent modpacks but also downloadable here.
https://modrinth.com/shader/complementary-reimagined/version/latest

Their main site
https://www.complementary.dev/shaders/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 4, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Tiny Myers posted:

Embeddium and Oculus

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got this sudden wild urge to play through Regrowth again recently and decided to try and think about why and I'm not entirely sure what it is about it that I want to experience again. I think it might just be wanting to have Minecraft sitting open and playing it as an idle game I look back at every so often, do a bit of work and then look away to do other things. Which may be why I've been falling off more active explorey packs I've been trying to play lately.

I suppose that's largely why I like stuff that involves a lot of farming such as Magical Crops.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a "craft from nearby storage" mod? Don't really need a bunch of other stuff included I guess, just a plain mod.

For a room full of like vanilla chests you could use a storage scanner. Has a 3x3 crafting grid and you can just hit the + when searching in JEI. Needs power but no cables. Max range of 22 blocks I think. It would be incredible if it weren't so finicky.

I'm currently using a wireless crafting grid from Refined Storage. Only works with Refined Storage's storage I think. You could upgrade the wireless transmitter to go e it more range, I finite range, or work across dimensions.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Beat Cuboid Outpost! My biggest complaint is that, in jumping around to various different mods, it does that thing a lot of kitchen sink quest packs do where you have to get about 15-20% into a mod until you get access to the one single machine or item or resource it provides, then never touch it again. I forget why I even needed to dip into Create, but my entire run I had a basement with just a single waterwheel and a lava fan for smelting and that was the extent of it. Mekanism, Applied Energistics, and a few others get more screentime, but a lot of it is bouncing between mods then dropping them forever.
I also had no idea I was so close to the end and probably would have done even less infrastructure if I had known, like not getting every single Harvestcraft seed, for instance. That said I didn't even do all that much infrastructure to begin with.

Still! I found it a very cute and cozy little progress pack, much lighter and more palatable than a lot of the big long haul mods where you need like 12 of the same machine running in parallel. Lots of novel twists here, and while there's an extra credit chapter about getting creative items (as there often is) I was more than happy to cash out at the storyline's end and call it done.

Black Pants posted:

I got this sudden wild urge to play through Regrowth again recently and decided to try and think about why and I'm not entirely sure what it is about it that I want to experience again. I think it might just be wanting to have Minecraft sitting open and playing it as an idle game I look back at every so often, do a bit of work and then look away to do other things. Which may be why I've been falling off more active explorey packs I've been trying to play lately.

I suppose that's largely why I like stuff that involves a lot of farming such as Magical Crops.
Minecraft packs like this are really great for vegging out to and passing the time. Too much so, maybe. Sometimes I'll lose like 2 hours staring vacantly and realize I haven't even really been having fun and could just be playing a game I actively enjoy instead of just draining off time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hey my 7 year-old has caught wind of some goofy (but age appropriate) youtube channels that have been using all kinds of minecraft mods, so now he wants to try out some minecraft mods for himself. Up to now we've only played together on the Bedrock edition on Switch, and after reading the OP I get the sense that we need to be using the Java edition on PC - that doesn't surprise me at all. Also, to play together I'm guessing we'd need 2 PCs with a copy of the game each. Tell me if that's wrong please. I wanted to get us set up with 1 copy working before buying a 2nd, treating it like a christmas present

Anyway, I'm looking for mod suggestions for a 7 year-old. What's the coolest-rear end kid-friendly poo poo you've played recently? We perused curseforge together and he identified an Epic Knights armor mod that looks spiffy, but it's literally just a weapons and armor pack. He's mostly interested in Creative Mode. More recommendations please, if you don't mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Hey my 7 year-old has caught wind of some goofy (but age appropriate) youtube channels that have been using all kinds of minecraft mods, so now he wants to try out some minecraft mods for himself. Up to now we've only played together on the Bedrock edition on Switch, and after reading the OP I get the sense that we need to be using the Java edition on PC - that doesn't surprise me at all. Also, to play together I'm guessing we'd need 2 PCs with a copy of the game each. Tell me if that's wrong please. I wanted to get us set up with 1 copy working before buying a 2nd, treating it like a christmas present

Anyway, I'm looking for mod suggestions for a 7 year-old. What's the coolest-rear end kid-friendly poo poo you've played recently? We perused curseforge together and he identified an Epic Knights armor mod that looks spiffy, but it's literally just a weapons and armor pack. He's mostly interested in Creative Mode. More recommendations please, if you don't mind!

Yes you'll need two copies to play together on PC. It requires a Microsoft account, I'd recommend creating new accounts just for Minecraft for security reasons if you already have a Microsoft account you login to the PC with. You can be logged into the computer with one MS account and login to Minecraft with a different one. Although I'm not sure how you'd actually buy it on a different account, the whole Microsoft store ecosystem is weird. Maybe do it from the minecraft website instead of the microsoft store for that.

I'll probably catch some flak again for recommending the curseforge launcher but it's the easiest way to play modded IMO, and any mods/packs on curseforge will just work. Use the Download Standalone option to not install the overwolf part. The other recommended launcher is Prism but I haven't used it myself.

No idea what mods to recommend for a 7 year old though. I had girls that just liked to build houses and they liked the decoration mods like MrCrayfish furniture (and other) mods, and there was a dog pets mod, but that was years ago. If he likes pokemon there pixelmon which can be fun for a bit.