Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol thinking about that nytimes (?) article about a libertarian detective, or perhaps Philip K DIcks classic "Ubik"/

New Yorker, I love that piece too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Was this a long time ago? I actually just saw them and most of the crowd were millennials like myself, some of which maybe used to wear power rangers costumes.

Yeah, it was probably around a decade ago

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Uncle Lloyd posted:

New Yorker, I love that piece too.

There’s one like this but it’s an entire book. I read it but can barely remember it. I think it was written by a lady and not pkd.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
gently caress self-checkout.

Pay your employees.

:corsair:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The number of jobs at grocery and big box stores has remained about the same, only now instead of having a bunch of people at the registers, they now are taking care of mobile orders and whatnot.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok?

Then hire more employees, and pay them too!

Self-checkout is 100% a cost cutting measure. That's the entire reason they exist.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Internet Old One posted:

There’s one like this but it’s an entire book. I read it but can barely remember it. I think it was written by a lady and not pkd.

Are you thinking of Jennifer Government?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Government?wprov=sfla1

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ok?

Then hire more employees, and pay them too!

Self-checkout is 100% a cost cutting measure. That's the entire reason they exist.

Sorry, need that money to build my doomsday bunker and pay my mercenaries.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

sorry i need the money to pay for the lobbying efforts to protect me from my workforce unionizing

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
sorry, I need to raise the prices because people are stealing more by using self checkout

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

personally, I care more that I have to drive to a store 10 miles away from my house in order to buy stuff like toothpaste, shampoo and body wash without it being a giant loving 40 minute production involving multiple attendants and keys, than I do about a self-checkout

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MrQwerty posted:

personally, I care more that I have to drive to a store 10 miles away from my house in order to buy stuff like toothpaste, shampoo and body wash without it being a giant loving 40 minute production involving multiple attendants and keys, than I do about a self-checkout

No idea what this means but you can be upset about more than one thing that stores are doing at the same time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I prefer self checkout except for the very rare times where I have a loaded shopping cart. For those instances, yes, there should always be a few traditional lanes open. Otherwise, meh. Did people bitch this much when gas stations became self-serve?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I prefer self checkout except for the very rare times where I have a loaded shopping cart. For those instances, yes, there should always be a few traditional lanes open. Otherwise, meh. Did people bitch this much when gas stations became self-serve?

Yes

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol i overheard the self-checkout guy and security guy at the Kroger in my neighborhood talking a couple days ago, specifically about how the new plan is to get all the lane cashiers out by 2 instead of 4 starting next month

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Well I usually do have a loaded shopping cart, as do many, many people. The self-checkout started as 10 items or less. Then they removed that. Then more and more popped up and they removed more and more cashier lanes. Now they have self-checkouts with belts so you can do your 50+ items and have your items go down one lane so you can spend a few minutes loading your bags afterwards while another person can move a divider and have their items go down the other lane so they cane spend a few minutes loading their bags.

Doing your own gas is loving simple. Insert card, take out card, put gas in car, leave. Full service gas stations are essentially gone. I knew OR and NJ have their laws where someone has to pump your gas, but is it even full service? Do they check your tires and fluids and everything? People just want to get in and out and not have to tip someone for doing such a simple task. A gas station attendant can't do a whole lot to a modern car filled with computers and software so the job naturally died out.

Self checkout you have to enter item codes for produce, weigh everything, pack your own bags, it takes much much longer than a trained professional who knows the codes by memory and a bagger who knows food safety (which can be annoying but it's a thing). Even if I use a self-checkout for a single item, there's a 50-50 shot that when I scan the item put it on the counter it'll say there's an unexpected item and I have to wait for someone to come over and unlock it. Also if I buy booze I need a person anyway because you need approval for alcohol by an employee.

I'm glad you love it and it's convenient for your personal situation, but it's 100% about cutting costs and taking jobs. And now they're bitching much more about shrink because people are stealing more. Then places like Target develop pretty draconic security measures including a whole lot of lobbying law enforcement to really gently caress people over who steal anything.

I'll yell at this loving cloud all day!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well I usually do have a loaded shopping cart, as do many, many people. The self-checkout started as 10 items or less. Then they removed that. Then more and more popped up and they removed more and more cashier lanes. Now they have self-checkouts with belts so you can do your 50+ items and have your items go down one lane so you can spend a few minutes loading your bags afterwards while another person can move a divider and have their items go down the other lane so they cane spend a few minutes loading their bags.

Doing your own gas is loving simple. Insert card, take out card, put gas in car, leave. Full service gas stations are essentially gone. I knew OR and NJ have their laws where someone has to pump your gas, but is it even full service? Do they check your tires and fluids and everything? People just want to get in and out and not have to tip someone for doing such a simple task. A gas station attendant can't do a whole lot to a modern car filled with computers and software so the job naturally died out.

Self checkout you have to enter item codes for produce, weigh everything, pack your own bags, it takes much much longer than a trained professional who knows the codes by memory and a bagger who knows food safety (which can be annoying but it's a thing). Even if I use a self-checkout for a single item, there's a 50-50 shot that when I scan the item put it on the counter it'll say there's an unexpected item and I have to wait for someone to come over and unlock it. Also if I buy booze I need a person anyway because you need approval for alcohol by an employee.

I'm glad you love it and it's convenient for your personal situation, but it's 100% about cutting costs and taking jobs. And now they're bitching much more about shrink because people are stealing more. Then places like Target develop pretty draconic security measures including a whole lot of lobbying law enforcement to really gently caress people over who steal anything.

I'll yell at this loving cloud all day!

Yelling at clouds is deemed suspicious activity by our new Google Thinkpol software, you're under arrest

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

They should automate away as many jobs as possible, I seriously doubt being a cashier is a fulfilling way to spend your limited hours on earth

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
They should do another limited study that finds that UBI totally works and enriches the lives of all its participants, then never expand or speak of it ever again

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Killingyouguy! posted:

They should automate away as many jobs as possible, I seriously doubt being a cashier is a fulfilling way to spend your limited hours on earth

Self checkout isn't automated. You, in fact, are doing all of the work.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I love self checkout because I hate interacting with people

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

deep dish peat moss posted:

Same, I wish more places had the conveyor belts though

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

a trained professional who knows the codes by memory and a bagger who knows food safety (which can be annoying but it's a thing).

where are you shopping

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MrQwerty posted:

where are you shopping

Grocery stores.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

deep dish peat moss posted:

Armacham posted:

Same, I wish more places had the conveyor belts though

100% expected goon response so I'll have to allow it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's also very annoying that most of the time the "bagging area" is maybe slightly larger than a sheet of letter size paper, so you have to jenga your purchase and do multiple transaction/bagging cycles to avoid toppling.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mawarannahr posted:

it's also very annoying that most of the time the "bagging area" is maybe slightly larger than a sheet of letter size paper, so you have to jenga your purchase and do multiple transaction/bagging cycles to avoid toppling.

Yeah that sucks too.

And lately a lot of them have the "Skip Bagging" button that pops up when you scan to apparently solve that problem but it's really finicky. If you scan and set it on the counter and hit the skip bagging, then you obviously get an error and it locks up and someone has to fix it. Sometimes I'll scan something, then try to hit the skip button but it switches to Finish and Pay too quickly so then I have to go back and hope it doesn't give me an error. I'm sure theft went up with the skip bagging button as well.

The self scanning areas always have a single person working full-time to unfuck the machines whenever they gently caress up which is essentially constantly from what I've seen.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Most stores I go to now no longer require you to set your groceries on the bagging space; you can just scan them and put them back in your cart. It makes theft a lot easier, too, but I don't do that.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
we should be celebrating the elimination of menial labor jobs

boo hoo, there's no longer an underclass getting paid minimum wage to serve me at the grocery store

I bet you're one of the people whining on nextdoor about the lazy garbage collectors that don't get out of their trucks anymore, too

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don’t think any self checkouts in my area have aggressive bag or weight scanning so that probably helps my perception of self checkout. You can place all the bags in your cart as you fill them and then pay, for example.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cerekk posted:

boo hoo, there's no longer an underclass getting paid minimum wage to serve me at the grocery store

I bet you're one of the people whining on nextdoor about the lazy garbage collectors that don't get out of their trucks anymore, too

Automation is good but only if you still pay the people who's jobs you eliminated. If we had UBI people wouldn't get sad when a car factory fires 8000 people after buying a billion dollars worth of robots.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cerekk posted:

We should be paying a living wage for menial labor jobs.

As I said, self checkout is not automated. They just fired one person to make you do the exact work that they would have done and gotten paid for it.

quote:

:jerkbag:

I'm beginning to think you're a moron.

It'd be more like an unmanned garbage truck comes each week and each person has to personally throw their garbage into the back of the truck and use the levers to compress it themselves.

edit: oh, and sometimes if you throw in the wrong garbage/recycling the system locks and someone has to come by and scan their card to make the truck work again

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 3, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Expecting patrons to return carts instead of paying someone to do so is also a cost cutting measure, yet somehow that's become some sorta weird metaphor for morality, with people sharing that Shopping Craft Theory meme

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Expecting patrons to return carts instead of paying someone to do so is also a cost cutting measure, yet somehow that's become some sorta weird metaphor for morality, with people sharing that Shopping Craft Theory meme

You return the carts to the cart corrals which workers still go out and have to collect. You don't have to bring them all the way back to the store (most of the time). The moral part is people just pushing their cart away and leaving it as a hazard to everyone else in the parking lot.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It really depends on the parking lot and if the company is willing to pay for cart corals. Not every parking lot has them. My local Aldi and my local TJs don't. The point is that it wasn't a hazard in the past bc someone was paid to handle it. You can even point to a time that it used to be a worker came out with you, loaded the car and took the cart back and well, now we do all of that ourselves.

It's really just down to how long it's been part of our cultural routine for whether it's socially accepted or not. Bagging your own stuff is how it's done in Europe but if you suggest it to the average suburban American they should do so, it opens a similar 'replacing workers' can of worms as self-checkout.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah that's why I said "most of the time."

Aldi here doesn't have a cart corral but the parking lot is small and if you leave your cart then you lose your quarter required to access the cart in the first place. That's the only place I've ever seen that though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

automation will only be good after we've killed the ruling class hth

e: also making the customer do all the work isn't automation, as pennywise the frown states

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Doing work myself is better than having some minimum wage guy doing it for me imo. Like why is 'you're doing the work for free' a problem

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Yes! That’s the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Killingyouguy! posted:

Doing work myself is better than having some minimum wage guy doing it for me imo. Like why is 'you're doing the work for free' a problem

I worked nights before and through COVID and I'm a night person anyway so I kinda just resigned to the fact that self-checkout was my future a long time ago and didn't care; half the time I can punch TOMATO or BROCCOLI into the lookup just as fast as it takes a cashier to look up the code in their book if they don't have it memorized, and I know how to bag groceries. All I want is to have a better system than, "treat me like a criminal, press a call button that may or may not work, then wait for 15 minutes while one of the three people working responds to unlock 3 different cages because I need to buy shampoo, body wash and toothpaste, then takes all that stuff to the self-checkout so it turns into a negotiation over which contraband is mine, also it's just simply not allowed after 8PM." Preferably one that isn't "drive 10+ miles across town to go shop at a rich white people version of the same Kroger."