Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The PNW seems like a nightmare for forest fires if things dried out, but I don't how weather patterns over there change with a warming climate. I know lol Ohio, but I think there eventually will be some movement to the Great Lakes region at some point when things start to get gnarly climate-wise. Lots of water and no real natural disasters outside of tornados. It could get kind of shaky if the jet stream weakened though and polar vortexes became more common. Everytime we get hit with one of those it's brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

The PNW seems like a nightmare for forest fires if things dried out, but I don't how weather patterns over there change with a warming climate. I know lol Ohio, but I think there eventually will be some movement to the Great Lakes region at some point when things start to get gnarly climate-wise. Lots of water and no real natural disasters outside of tornados. It could get kind of shaky if the jet stream weakened though and polar vortexes became more common. Everytime we get hit with one of those it's brutal.

Between summer and fall in the PNW is smoke season. Everything hazy with smoke. We're already there: hundreds of thousands of acres (some years millions) burn every summer.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

i am harry posted:

I love this economist idea that they need to tell me that the economy is doing better

bitch I’ll loving know when things are alright because a pack of motherfucking oreos will not cost five loving dollars.

i'm actually impressed with oreo shrinkflation. After shrinking the thickness of the filling down to what must be the physical limit of whatever machine places those disks they recently started shrinking the diameter of the thin filling as well.

I'm curious how far corporations can go on a business model of giving the peasants as little bread as possible for every drop of blood in the stone.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

"rate of" inflation is doing a lot of heavy lifting there lol (also depending on the month its not even correct and its all using made up numbers)

also god thats just... wrong. its so wrong? lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Housing wealth isn't real lmao.

People actually loving hate that their 7 year old car and lovely run down house is worth way more money than 2 years ago.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

this survey has radicalized me

fake edit: i should say, the phrasing and framing of that survey has radicalized me

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Twerk from Home posted:

People actually loving hate that their 7 year old car and lovely run down house is worth way more money than 2 years ago.

you basically cant sell your house now if you have a decent interest rate so its entirely unrealized wealth

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

from 2020-2022 wages at the median had no increase and above median fell. median in 2021 was 45,760. less than median wages went up.

so in aggregate wages went up. but median and above folks are definitely worse off after inflation.

if one is below median, one is still rather poor, and that hasn’t stopped sucking poo poo in the US.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Not you too FT!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
move over blackrock, jeffrey bezos is coming to town

quote:

Jeff Bezos-Backed Real Estate Company Is Launching A New Fund To Acquire More Single-Family Homes Across The U.S.

Many of the world’s largest investment firms have launched new funds over the past couple of years aimed at acquiring or building single-family homes to use as rentals. This comes as no surprise considering that the increased cost of buying a home has forced many Americans into being tenants instead of homeowners.

Arrived, a young real estate company backed by Amazon.com Inc. founder Jeff Bezos, has just announced its entry into the single-family rental fund space. Arrived currently operates a fractional real estate investing platform that has attracted nearly half a million retail investors since its launch in 2021. The platform allows these investors to purchase shares of single-family rental properties with as little as $100.

To date, investors on the platform have funded more than 388 homes with a total value of over $122 million. Properties are often fully funded within hours of going live, which has resulted in Arrived limiting the maximum investment on many of its offerings.

The new Arrived Single Family Residential Fund aims to simplify capital allocation by allowing users to invest more at one time and invest on their own schedule without having to wait for individual properties to launch.

Investors in the new fund will be diversified across several properties in multiple real estate markets. Arrived also intends to give investors an option to redeem or liquidate their shares on a quarterly basis after the first six months.

Arrived CEO Ryan Frazier expressed optimism about the single-family home market, citing its historically robust returns and lower volatility compared to the stock market. He also noted the persistent demand for housing, outpacing the supply of new homes over the last decade.

In the third quarter of 2023, investors on the platform earned approximately $890,000 in dividend income, marking an increase from the previous quarter. Over the past year, the platform has disbursed over $2.8 million in dividends to its investors.

The introduction of the new fund does not signal the end of Arrived’s traditional model. Investors can still purchase individual property shares with the same $100 minimum investment.

Arrived was the first SEC-qualified real estate investing platform to allow virtually anyone to buy shares in single-family rental properties. This innovative approach to real estate investing has attracted significant attention and backing from high-profile investors and tech entrepreneurs, including Jeff Bezos, Marc Benioff, Spencer Rascoff, and Dara Khosrowshahi, who all invested in the company’s seed round. Bezos’s continued support was evident with his second investment during Arrived’s $25 million Series A funding round in 2022.
lmao so they just reinvented LendingClub and peer2peer lending but for sfh only instead of cars or student loans or cruise-ship loans or w/e

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1731358361260613978?s=20

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

one of the sickest “make the prisoners jail themselves” ideas

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

*spits out milk mid-drink* what?! Willa said it was good for your butthole!! concerning..

I said Vitamin D was good for your butthole. You can't get enough of it from just drinking milk.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

outdoor use is messed up from instagram, and everyone wants the easily accessible spots with the best views. blue pool in oregon was empty when i was in school, and now it's just a sea of flesh. trailrunning is great, because you can can blow past the day hiking distance into solitude or still have a good time on a trail that doesn't have the AAA views.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Houthi’s are drone striking merchant shipping in the Red Sea. Apparently they hit three bulk carriers .

https://apnews.com/article/red-sea-houthi-yemen-ships-attack-israel-hamas-war-gaza-strip-716770f0a780160e9abed98d3c48fbde

I’ve boarded one of these three in the past.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I'm sure it's way worse out there, but around here I've just started going to anywhere remotely popular in the winter now. Everything looks like garbage, but there are no people and even better no bugs.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve boarded one of these three in the past.

why did you wait for someone else to blow it up…?

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

What are you going to believe your stupid lying reality? Or what we tell you? huh? idiots

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

The entire Liberal establishment forming a unified multi-billion dollar political machine based entirely on telling the population they are stupid and wrong about the economy is a bold choice this campaign season

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I would love to see someone rationalize why Jeff Bezos of all people would be trying to start a new business.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Buying shares is not the same as starting a business.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

heres why our gaslighting is failing miserably

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Even the gas lamps cost more to light now :(

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rectal Death Alert posted:

The entire Liberal establishment forming a unified multi-billion dollar political machine based entirely on telling the population they are stupid and wrong about the economy is a bold choice this campaign season

better things aren't possible so what's left to campaign on besides that and orange man?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Twerk from Home posted:

Car "wealth" is particularly bad because it actively makes you poorer. The more expensive it is to replace your car, the more money you need to spend to ensure that it lasts as long as possible, and the worst off you'll be when you finally can't keep up any more and need to buy a more expensive, newer model.

Your old shitbox is worth a ton of money right up until the moment it suffers a major failure and its value effectively goes to zero. The only way to avoid that fate is to sell first and commit to an even larger monthly payment.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

HallelujahLee posted:

heres why our gaslighting is failing miserably

the idf is running the ft now

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Centrist Committee posted:

the idf is running the ft now

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

It's been poo poo since ~2018. We never used to have a smoke season, but now? I loving laughed about NYC freaking the gently caress out about air quality earlier this summer. What they got was nothing compared to what we've been getting here (in intensity, duration, or both) since we started getting wildfire smoke in the fall.

Now, every fall, we get weeks (or, like last year, a loving month and a half) solid of 100+ AQI, sometimes spiking up above 500 if things actually get bad.

We don't need more warm, dry weather. We need more cool, damp weather, but it's going away thanks to climate change.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Q1) They are using average wages, not median. If rich people's salaries are going up then it would raise the average which is why median is more commonly used.

Q2) ~Rate of~ inflation.

Q3) "Net worth" here probably includes people's houses and cars which are being heavily impacted by inflation right now.

Q4) How exactly are we defining "A better lifestyle" here?

Q5) See Q4

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
This sandwich was $9 and with a latte, the bill was $18 (not my picture).

This is why native PNWers are fed up and hate this place now. The influx of tech has ruined a good thing, not made it better.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=ht...807fb8827d0fa21

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Matt Bruenig cutting through the eCoNoMy discourse

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rauros posted:

outdoor use is messed up from instagram, and everyone wants the easily accessible spots with the best views. blue pool in oregon was empty when i was in school, and now it's just a sea of flesh. trailrunning is great, because you can can blow past the day hiking distance into solitude or still have a good time on a trail that doesn't have the AAA views.

people on socials sometimes get legit upset when I post pictures and don't say where I took them

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

it's a two state solution, isn't that what you all wanted?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

This is why native PNWers are fed up and hate this place now. The influx of tech has ruined a good thing, not made it better.

What is that filling supposed to be. It looks like foam packing material.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Looks like a preform scrambled egg from a silicone mold. They made them like that at a place I used to work at and they were easily the worst egg sandwiches I've ever had in my life.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Glumwheels posted:

lmao

o wait i live herre

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Glumwheels posted:

They have that kinda bullshit in every American city. Hell you can probably get an egg sandwich for that much in like Cincinatti these days

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bedpan posted:

Regarding lying eyes, inflation, and food prices, take a look at this chart of price per ton of tomatoes for California tomatoes:

Price has almost doubled since 2020

Thank food is excluded from inflation calculations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1731603583257240027

context: the US keeps issuing export bans of GPUs to China and NVidia keeps rushing orders to sell as much product as they can before the next ban-wave takes effect, and then designs chips and cards specifically to skirt underneath the benchmarks set by the bans. The most recent example is that with RTX 4090 being banned from export to China, NVidia is now preparing an "RTX 4090D" with its computing power configured to hit the threshold of the ban just precisely enough to be allowable.