Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Looking at Mersault's Middle story and it's interesting that his book of vengeance is so tiny, but still is full of very precise instructions for very specific transgressions. Makes me wonder if the Books are some kind of magic where they fill in the required retribution on their own or people reading the books are just hallucinating instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Suffering powered technomagic is very much a thing in the mooniverse, so assuming all of the books are wifi connected and updated constantly by some chained and tortured IT orphans is not a big leap.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

LostRook posted:

Looking at Mersault's Middle story and it's interesting that his book of vengeance is so tiny, but still is full of very precise instructions for very specific transgressions. Makes me wonder if the Books are some kind of magic where they fill in the required retribution on their own or people reading the books are just hallucinating instructions.

Ricardo's book is much larger, and the transgressions and reparations Meursault and Don hand out are, theoretically, based on Ricardo being their Big Brother. So I figure Ricardo writes down in his book transgressions and then those are updated to his subordinates books, and in turn his is updated by whoever is above him in the Middles family. All the way up to the Middle's Eldest Brother/Sister or Grandfather/Grandmother or Patriarch/Matriarch. Whatever the highest title in the Middle is.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Also I wasn't accusing Rodya of not caring when I said maybe she really did want to feel special in the past. There's nothing wrong with wanting to feel special, the thing that drove Rodya to tragic desperation wasn't the need to feel special but the fact that people she cared about were actively starving and one had already died because he tried to eat garbage. My point was more, Sonya seems to have a pretty rigid but shallow understanding of what it means to be community minded, with his emphasis on working with a group, for a group, as a member of that group, not going off on your own, and that disdain for individuality might cause him to interpret Rodya's arguments, disagreements, and eventual action in the frame of her acting out 'just to act out', and then tagging that with another trait he might have noticed in her to make it a nice, neat narrative that conveniently absolved him of all blame.

This isn't just speculation on my part, he does it in front of our faces where he presents Rodya with a vision of a world where everyone is fed and comfortable and given a chance to thrive, and then interprets her rejecting joining him as her rejecting the possibility of that world because she doesn't want that world to begin with. When it's like... maybe she just doesn't trust you, dude, because she's seen the ways you're a lovely leader, and despite caring for you she knows you well enough to not jump back into following you on a glorious promise you're providing no detail of your path to reaching.

None of this makes him a more likable person, but I do think it makes him more interesting. Dude's got his head up his rear end! Rodya's got a lot of flaws, sure, but in a lot of ways she's more practical and grounded than he is, and while she's not going to lead a Glorious Revolution I think she's got a lot better chance of making the world a better place even if it's in smaller, more personal ways. She's pretty consistently someone that tries to show support for other Sinners and reach out to them with distractions or with sympathy.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply you were implying that Rodion didn't care or anything. I agree with a lot of your post too I just think that bridge is kinda burned at this point, but as you say we don't really have enough info because they both skirted around saying anything directly outside of accusations.

Rodion's always been a fairly good team player though Heathcliff is employee of the year on that front, which is still surprising given his literary origin of "world's most bitter rear end in a top hat"

LostRook posted:

Haven't seen the story but I don't think Meursault in particular is easy to offend, so he's probably following some protocol to the letter. The Fingers like pretending they're very civilized and orderly and not at all fragile-egoed children so there's probably some kind of solid rules that nobody but Meursault would care about.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 4, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Update news.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/3861336410662887281

Yi Sang Sunshower getting upgraded to WAW, which is honestly where it should have been from the start.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

LostRook posted:

Most people seem to draw parallels from the Book of Vengeance to the Great Book of Grudges for obvious reasons, but for my part the comically specific guidelines for deeply niche circumstances within a book too small to possibly hold all that knowledge made me think of this instead:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Theantero posted:

Most people seem to draw parallels from the Book of Vengeance to the Great Book of Grudges for obvious reasons, but for my part the comically specific guidelines for deeply niche circumstances within a book too small to possibly hold all that knowledge made me think of this instead:

:hmmyes:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1731592053249982738
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1731591927538278654

And we have our first instance of an ID doubling up on a Sin!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Going hard on Envy this Season.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yi Sang Sunshower getting upgraded to WAW, which is honestly where it should have been from the start.

Could a LC boffin let me know if I should or should not blow resources on Tier 4ing Sunshower before the change? :cheerdoge:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

KazigluBey posted:

Could a LC boffin let me know if I should or should not blow resources on Tier 4ing Sunshower before the change? :cheerdoge:
It's one of the best EGO in the game so yes.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

GilliamYaeger posted:

It's one of the best EGO in the game so yes.

Sound, thanks!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

On one hand, Sunshower will now cost more resources and might be even riskier if not hitting heads.

On the other hand it frees up Yi Sang's HE slot for Dimension Shredder or another future HE EGO so I guess it's positive overall?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

On one hand, Sunshower will now cost more resources and might be even riskier if not hitting heads.

On the other hand it frees up Yi Sang's HE slot for Dimension Shredder or another future HE EGO so I guess it's positive overall?
I don't think they're actually changing any numbers on Sunshower (other than the uptie costs), just which slot you equip it to. It's just a straight buff to Yi Sang, until we get another WAW from him (however long that takes)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

GilliamYaeger posted:

I don't think they're actually changing any numbers on Sunshower (other than the uptie costs), just which slot you equip it to. It's just a straight buff to Yi Sang, until we get another WAW from him (however long that takes)

It will increase the Sanity cost for sure since that's tied to the Risk Level but Sunshower's weakness was already being nasty on Sanity if you don't roll heads so yeah, pretty much a buff (and makes WSang more useful since he can run it and Dimension Shredder at the same time).

Now, if they could upgrade Rime Shank to HE while they're at it...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sunshower already cost 35 SAN (!). I think that part of the cost doesn't need to change.

(Each EGO has separate SP costs, and sometimes even different ones for Awakening and Corrosion.)

Countzer
May 27, 2022
Seeing the new IDs got me thinking of Ishmael in Ahab's outfit, which made me realise they have rather similar long hair. I guess that's what her growing out her hair after the shipwreck signifies. She already was very much like Ahab mentally and the hair just drives home their similarity even more. Great design planning, honestly.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

R Heathcliff is overwhelmingly the best identity in the game, it would be nice to not run it for a change, and use Queequeg Heath in the envy meme team.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Marluxia posted:

R Heathcliff is overwhelmingly the best identity in the game, it would be nice to not run it for a change, and use Queequeg Heath in the envy meme team.

QueequegHeath might have an use, his S3 is still 4 coins and has Coin Power+, and double dipping on Envy is really good for the guy with a 2 cost Envy EGO. Also they serve opposite roles: RHeath is Burst damage but peters out if the fight lasts too long while QHeath is a tank and gets better as you stack bleed and poise.

The issue being MD and RR both only care about burst due to ammo regenerating, but if you reworked ammo then RCliff would become a liability besides Support once he ran out.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Could do something wacky for this Railway, like persisting status across nodes, absolutely nerfing R Heathcliff.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Marluxia posted:

Could do something wacky for this Railway, like persisting status across nodes, absolutely nerfing R Heathcliff.
R Heathcliff starting to regret not just using his gun to hit people on the head very hard like LCCB Ryoshu.

StuffyEvil
Nov 8, 2022

Poison sandwich tea party starts now
(art from @luingear on Twitter)

Yinlock posted:

Rodion's always been a fairly good team player though Heathcliff is employee of the year on that front, which is still surprising given his literary origin of "world's most bitter rear end in a top hat"

I think this is partially due to Heathcliff being at the "beginning" of his book while Ishmael is after the events of her book.

I haven't read Wuthering Heights but I think Heathcliff is at the part of the story where he leaves the family in search of riches, which I believe in the book may have been some very unsavory stuff, while in Limbus Company it seems to be him joining Limbus Company (and in some of the IDs joining other organizations, e.g. N Corp).

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Faust is absolutely the one most in the know about LC's goals still. But given the literary reference is it possible that we're missing the forest for the trees, and the real Mephistopheles is not the bus, but the bigwigs of LCA?

Also Shower thought. We know in retrospective Ishmael was using Queelaag's name back in the early Canto because she used to be a Middle member in hopes it would give clout, but why when she was a "discharged" member who had to cut her tattoos and have brain surgery? Was it a sign of her encroaching madness, using a loved one as a tool for her objective? Was she hoping the Middle is insane enough that knowing a former member does give you some leeway?

ALSO I made some surface level reading on Moby Dick's stuff (not American so wasn't required reading) and I was surprised IshmaelxQueelaag is apparently still a valid reading, and gay.

It's actually EVEN GAYER. This is not to say that what we got was a 'no-homo', because it was still super loving gay and I loved it, but Moby Dick has a whole chapter where Ishmael and Queequeg cuddle in bed together and Ishmael says that he's Queequeg's wife and they're on their honeymoon.

Countzer posted:

Seeing the new IDs got me thinking of Ishmael in Ahab's outfit, which made me realise they have rather similar long hair. I guess that's what her growing out her hair after the shipwreck signifies. She already was very much like Ahab mentally and the hair just drives home their similarity even more. Great design planning, honestly.
That's a valid reading but I also think that it might also be to remember Queequeg, because Queequeg loved her hair.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

StuffyEvil posted:

I think this is partially due to Heathcliff being at the "beginning" of his book while Ishmael is after the events of her book.

I haven't read Wuthering Heights but I think Heathcliff is at the part of the story where he leaves the family in search of riches, which I believe in the book may have been some very unsavory stuff, while in Limbus Company it seems to be him joining Limbus Company (and in some of the IDs joining other organizations, e.g. N Corp).

I'm pretty sure Heathcliff stole those hair coupons as a gift for Cathy, he's out becoming worldly and gathering gifts and riches to win her over. It's going to go horribly horribly wrong. Different characters are definitely at different points in their "books" Dante is basically going through his "Inferno" the entire game for example. Outis, given her name (Nobody), is during the "Odyssey" returning home to her wife(?) with the Smoke War as her "Illiad". Ishmael is post story, Ryoshu is almost certainly post story. Meursault is probably post story but it's hard to tell. Gregor probably has the least connection to his actual origin story that we've seen so far (the metamorphosis in that story leaves the character completely helpless/inhuman).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 4, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Lord_Magmar posted:

Gregor probably has the least connection to his actual origin story that we've seen so far (the metamorphosis in that story leaves the character completely helpless/inhuman).

Eh, he has the "one day I was transformed into a horrible bug thing and now I can't live in proper society or hold a job and feels alienated" and the mommy issues.

Heathcliff's Canto given it's called the Unforgiving and the original novel I'm calling he was adopted into a Feather or a Wing's bigshot's family, and when he comes back Cathy will have married someone else due to the Corp's needs or something and hell will ensue until the Mili song.

They could still subvert things like how the Peqod's crew all pseudo survived inside the whale due to Ahab so it's still fun to guess how they'll adapt the stories to the City. As a Spaniard I apologize in advance for Don's Canto having 5 nested filler arcs, but it will be worth it when she murders someone for shipping the Red Mist and the Black Silence.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

StuffyEvil posted:

We also know Limbus Heathcliff fell in with a Syndicate at one point, presumably a fairly minor one, so I think the sequence of events is childhood -> falling out with Cathy -> running away to prove himself -> joins a minor Syndicate as an enforcer -> ???? -> joins Limbus Company -> return to Wuthering Heights in Canto VI.

I have read the book, so I can confirm the 3 year timeskip is basically the hinge point at which Heathcliff starts out really sympathetic beforehand and then when he returns and Cathy is married is the point at which he rapidly starts making several extremely unsympathetic decisions lashing out at everyone around him such as marrying a woman he hates just to abuse her for being a member of a family he hates, and then it all goes even more downhill from there when Cathy dies in childbirth. So yeah, Heathcliff at the point where he's at in Limbus Company hasn't hit the worst parts of his literary character yet, and presumably having an actual support system is going to help with however that goes down.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I just remembered there's a marriage themed abnormality that gives a ring literally named Prejudice that has an effect for Pride A Resonance.

We might end up fighting the Marriage Spider in Heathcliff's Canto. Which does give me the amusing thought of Heathcliff's Canto being the Limbus Company Sinners crashing Cathy's wedding.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Heathcliff Canto has massive potential, considering his book is about a bunch of people behaving increasingly toxic towards each other. That's basically a gold mine for PM.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Lt. Lizard posted:

Heathcliff Canto has massive potential, considering his book is about a bunch of people behaving increasingly toxic towards each other. That's basically a gold mine for PM.
Literally not a single well-adjusted character.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

StuffyEvil posted:

That's the point where he reaches maximum bitterness though, when he comes back he's p. much completely consumed by his grudges and is more or less irredeemable.

Marluxia posted:

They should probably make him another good 000 then and not this poise/low-hp nonsense or whatever the hell sunshower was

This seems like another skip from me. Like if it was just bleed and hittin' stuff it would be fine but stop making "crit on a specific coin" an activation condition it blows.

e: the one bit of potential comedy is that Yi Sang's s2 has no coin reuse limit

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 4, 2023

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Real question is, will Canto VI actually see a Sinner Distort?

...is what I would say if the very structure of the game would make that awkward to implement. It's one thing to require a Sinner in the party, but I get the feeling removing access to a Sinner probably wouldn't go so well.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Verant posted:

...is what I would say if the very structure of the game would make that awkward to implement. It's one thing to require a Sinner in the party, but I get the feeling removing access to a Sinner probably wouldn't go so well.
He could always distort and undistort.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Verant posted:

I could see it working if they gave us something mechanically for getting through that section of the story. I feel like people would be a lot more willing to not use, say, Don during one floor of her dungeon because she turned into a knight monster if you got a Cool Knight Don ID or EGO as part of that story. The problem at that point would just be waiting for them to give free stuff to everyone.

EDIT: Then again, I also think people would probably be fine if they just made the Don distortion really cool. So maybe I think you're just underestimating what people will accept from a dungeon gimmick.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 4, 2023

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I could see it working if they gave us something mechanically for getting through that section of the story. I feel like people would be a lot more willing to not use, say, Don during one floor of her dungeon because she turned into a knight monster if you got a Cool Knight Don ID or EGO as part of that story. The problem at that point would just be waiting for them to give free stuff to everyone.

EDIT: Then again, I also think people would probably be fine if they just made the Don distortion really cool. So maybe I think you're just underestimating what people will accept from a dungeon gimmick.
It's true, people will accept a lot of things if the execution is cool enough. It might also help if they're including those nodes where you can shuffle party composition in dungeons from now on.

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

So, something that occurred to me.

The first two realizations in Ruina were used to establish a pattern for how realizations would go, so that the following realizations could catch the player off guard by subverting said pattern -- realization 3 has the new abno first, number 4 pulls that thing with the Orchestra to subvert that, number 5 is Roland instead of Angela...

The way Cantos 4 and 5 ended feel a lot like we're in the "using the first two to establish a pattern" part of that sequence.

PetraCore posted:

He could always distort and undistort.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Could pull a Servant of Wrath and have someone's Distortion literally split them into two entities, with one being a boss and the other being playable. Maybe give them a distorted ID that's auto-equipped for the fight, but you need to pull from the Gacha if you want to use it anywhere else.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Honestly, Hequog looks pretty good, aggro has made tanky identities much better, he wants to take a few hits to dish out maximum damage looks flexible enough to fit on several archetype teams.

I've definitely come around on the poise/bleed combo, i've been running Gregarrr and he starts by clashing well with low damage, but as bleed and poise stack up, his effective damage goes through the roof, and i'm very much expecting the new ID's to be the same way.

While Rheath is an absolute king of damage, I don't think he's quite the crown jewel of ID's for everything anymore. He's easy to stagger and falls off a (heath)cliff in fights longer then 5 turns, and reliant on good speed rolls to really get his damage out. PM's been introducing more encounters that have more effective HP, variable targets, big AOE hits, and just drag on longer, where team synergy and ramp up effects matter more then first turn burst.

edit: also, rheath ain't undisputed king of poo poo, Nclair is probably the single best ID in the game between his tankiness, speed, and absolutely absurd continuous damage output which escalate into a couple easy to target ego corrosions. That kid is absolutely dripping in the good stuff.

Onehandclapping fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 4, 2023

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Yinlock posted:

That's the point where he reaches maximum bitterness though, when he comes back he's p. much completely consumed by his grudges and is more or less irredeemable.

They should probably make him another good 000 then and not this poise/low-hp nonsense or whatever the hell sunshower was

This seems like another skip from me. Like if it was just bleed and hittin' stuff it would be fine but stop making "crit on a specific coin" an activation condition it blows.

e: the one bit of potential comedy is that Yi Sang's s2 has no coin reuse limit

Pirate gregor does that and he's really good, so the issue is with how they keep implementing it. Potency on every skill, count on S1, healthy count on S2 and a moderate amount of coins means gregor is pretty good at gaining and maintaining significant amounts of poise. That said, Heathcliff looks like he's not going to be doing that, with only S1 generating any count and lots of coins.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PetraCore posted:

Literally not a single well-adjusted character.

So it's 1840s reality TV.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Quackles posted:

So it's 1840s reality TV.
100%, that's actually the thing I found really entertaining when I read it. Like, it's very much not a feel good story even if things start to pull up a bit in the end after Heathcliff dies, but I found it entertainingly awful with surprising character depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RandomReader posted:

Pirate gregor does that and he's really good, so the issue is with how they keep implementing it. Potency on every skill, count on S1, healthy count on S2 and a moderate amount of coins means gregor is pretty good at gaining and maintaining significant amounts of poise. That said, Heathcliff looks like he's not going to be doing that, with only S1 generating any count and lots of coins.

Gregor also has multiple mechanics to amplify his big hit so while it's still inconsistant when he does hit it the enemy vaporizes. I don't think it's good but he's definitely got a plan.

Like Middle Don, Heathcliff doesn't really know what he wants to be. He's a hit-trading brawler type tank who's only damage mitigation involves his teammates getting their asses kicked before him, a Bleed ID who can only keep a bleed stack going if he crits on a specific hit of a specific skill, a Poise ID which also needs a bleed stack already there to get any real Poise and is p. much designed to be used with the Middle IDs who also have no source of Bleed Count. He can at least contribute to their Envy a.res gimmick(and it's funny that he gets 2 envies for free while Don has to jump through some stupid hoops to get her S3 online)

e: maybe Ishmael ties it all together since these recent IDs are clearly supposed to be deployed as a set

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 5, 2023